Trading Down & What the Packers Could Receive in Return

If the Green Bay Packers end up moving out of Round 1 on draft night, these are some potential trade scenarios via the trade value chart if they land between picks 33 and 38.

As we all know, in Brian Gutekunst's first three drafts as General Manager of the Green Bay Packers, he has been very aggressive in the first round, moving up all three years to get his guy.

In 2018, he would initially trade down before moving back up for Jaire Alexander. The following year after taking Rashan Gary at 12, he would move from the back-end of Round 1 into the low 20s for Darnell Savage. Then there was 2020, moving up to pick 26 for Jordan Love. And we could very well see that same aggressiveness this year as well.

However, as I wrote recently here at CHTV, if there is a year to trade back from pick 29, you'd have to think that this might be the draft that it happens in--and of course, this is 100 percent dependent on how the board falls.

As I would mention, three of the Packers' biggest needs are three of the deeper positional groups in this year's class. Of the consensus top-100 prospects in this year's draft, 17 of them are wide receivers, 16 are cornerbacks, and 11 are offensive tackles--all holes to fill on this roster.

With that level of depth at those positions, the Green Bay Packers could very well have several viable options on the board when they are on the clock, and it could lead to them moving out of Round 1—allowing them to potentially gain another top-100 pick or at least another fourth-rounder, while still finding an immediate impact player early on in Round 2.

So if the Packers are going to move back, what kind of draft capital would they receive in return?

Well, the trade value chart can help us get an idea of what a fair trade might look like. If you're unfamiliar, it is a tool created by Jimmy Johnson when he was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, and it assigns a numeric value to each draft pick, allowing us to quantitatively determine whether a trade involving draft picks is fair or not. Over the years, this chart has been modified, and each team may put their own spin on it, but for the most part, it remains the same.

If you'd like to learn more about the trade value chart and see some examples, click here. Or below is an example of a potential trade-up to pick 21 that Green Bay could make along with the chart.
Using that chart, I have put together trade packages that the Packers could receive if they were to move back to pick 33 through 38. Now, of course, not all of these teams will be looking to move up, but I wanted to cover my bases.

So with all of that out of the way, let's dive into some trade offers for moving out of the first round.

Trade with Jacksonville for pick 33

Packers give up: Pick 29

Packers receive: Picks 33 and 130

Quick Thought: The value for teams in Round 2 moving back into Round 1 is that they obviously are able to land whichever player they want, but first-round picks also come with the very valuable fifth-year option.

Trade with New York Jets for pick 34

Packers give up: Picks 29 and 178

Packers receive: Picks 34 and 107

Quick Thought: Due to the Jets not having many late-round picks this year, in order to make this trade work, the Packers received an early fourth-round pick along with pick 34 but had to give up one of their fifth rounders in return.

Trade with Atlanta Falcons for pick 35

Packers give up: Pick 29

Packers receive: Picks 35 and 108

Quick Thought: While, yes, the Packers do have two fourth-round picks already, they are on the back-end at picks 135 and 142--almost in the fifth round. There is a huge gap between where they are currently picking in Round 4 and pick 108.

Trade with Miami for pick 36

Packers give up: Picks 29 and 135

Packers receive: Picks 36 and 81

Quick Thoughts: As was the case at pick 34, to make this deal work, the Packers had to part with an additional pick, but it would be well worth it to receive a third-rounder in return. With this move, Green Bay now has four picks within the top-100 and can certainly find some immediate impact players.

Trade with Philadelphia for pick 37

Packers give up: Picks 29 and 173

Packers receive: Picks 37 and 84

Quick Thought: There is another scenario that works, giving the Packers picks 37, 123, 150, and 189, but given the number of picks Green Bay already has in rounds four through seven, the priority should be gaining an additional top-100 pick at this point.

Trade with Cincinnati for pick 38

Packers give up: Pick 29

Packers receive: Picks 38, 111, and 149

Quick Thoughts: Again, in landing pick 111, there is a big difference between that selection and picks 135 and 142, even though they fall in the same round. And with those two additional fourth-round picks (135 and 142), along with an early fifth now from Cincinnati (149), the Packers have plenty of capital to move up on Day 2--which with as many picks as they have at this point they absolutely should.

---------------------

Born and raised in Green Bay, WI and I still call it home. After my family, watching the Packers, sharing my opinions on the team through my writing and interacting with other fans is my greatest passion. You can find me on Twitter at @Paul_Bretl.

CheesyTex's picture

April 26, 2021 at 11:47 am

Absolutely agree with you that this is the year to trade back.

All trades you list look good. I just hope the Dolphins are looking to trade up to 29 -- that one is ideal in my book.

splitpea1's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:21 pm

That Dolphins scenario doesn't look too bad; you don't want to move too far back and if maybe three players are of extreme interest are still on the board at the time of the trade and we get close to a mid-third rounder in return...then go for it!

Starrbrite's picture

April 26, 2021 at 08:16 pm

Agree with you Splitpea1.

Turophile's picture

April 26, 2021 at 08:45 pm

Yeah, the Dolphins and Eagles trades look good. Not sure the tiers fall right, but that extra pick in the 3rd IS rather attractive.

April 26, 2021 at 11:23 am

Your trade downs work for me. But I don't want to give anything in addition to them. I'd rather have two picks in the top 50. one in the 30s and one in the 40s. I want a DL. And my guy is in the 40s. He will be gone by 62. ( I See nothing worth a Damn after the 3rd rd. that could help this year) So I'm all for trading up in the second round. And if we can get Barmore and my guy. WE Will win everything. The LBS and back-up CBs are sitting in the third. I'd hate to trade it away.

Oppy's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:10 pm

The suspense is killing me.
Who is "your guy"?

April 26, 2021 at 02:42 pm

Alim McNeil. Has the same height and better stats then Raji. His exception was 5 press less. But since he's a underclassman. He'll make those up in the NFL. He's No 3rd round pick. Top 50 right now.

Oppy's picture

April 26, 2021 at 03:40 pm

Well, as one of only two known people that frequent CHTV that weren't impressed with BJ Raji, I have to say I hope he plays better than Raji did.

CoachDino's picture

April 26, 2021 at 04:51 pm

I'm a big Alim Fan as well. I'm hoping to find an article explaining why drafting a NT is a good thing or not. Can Kenny Clark play and end on Base Downs. Is that a good option? If kenny (in base) loses value if moved to an end then Alim at NT isn't a good pick as he will have very limited snaps. I just have no idea on what would work. I know in sub packages Kenny has lined up as a 3tech. Alim is scary.

I've also become more convinced that instead of Drafting an "Interior Defensive Lineman" I'd like to see them draft a BIG Edge that can play a 5 Tech (end) in a 3-4 Base. (Guys around 6'3" and 280 lbs). A bit smaller than our current 300lb guys but twice the athletes. Its like putting a bigger R Gary out there.

Barmore won't be around but some others are"

Dayo out of vandy
Sample out of Tulane
Carlos Basham is probably the best option after Barmore.
Turner out of Houston

These guys can rush the passer, run down Qb,s and RB behind the line, work off blocks etc. Things Lowery and Lancaster could never do.

Are the big and strong enough to hold up against the run? Seems some guys think so, I'm not able to determine iot just by watching their tape.

HankScorpio's picture

April 26, 2021 at 06:29 pm

Only Jax has 2 picks that are both after 29 and before 49 with 33 & 45. Miami has 36 & 50 which I would presume is close enough. If either were offering that to move up, somebody would take it long before the Packers were given the chance. That's ammo to reach into the teens.

If not giving up one of your own is important and you want a top 100 in return, NYG with 42 & 76 is even on the Rich Hill chart. Jax giving up 45 and 64 is pretty darn close, too. If you use the Jimmie Johnson chart, the Chargers wth 47 and 77 are the closest points fit. Either way, you're not getting one in the top 40, much less 2.

If staying in the top 40 is important, Atlanta can give 35 & 108 by the Rich Hill model. The Jets at 34 & 107 are even with Pack's 29 on the Jimmie Johnson model.

People can do crazy things. But they usually don't.

PhantomII's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:20 pm

This is the year to burn 2021 and 2022 #1 picks and get players who can start immediately. Our CB, DL, WR, OL,
ILB positions need significant upgrades NOW, and since signing our injured LT, we don't have the money for it.

ImFubared's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Amen. Get two or three top players and be happy.

PhantomII's picture

April 26, 2021 at 01:04 pm

Man if we can come out of this draft with: S-Moehrig /LB-S Koramoah / WR Bateman/ WR E. Moore/ DL Barmore
DL Onwuzurike / CB Samuel / WR R. Moore/ Edge Tyron/ S Holland/
CB Stokes. Any 2-3 of these would help us a lot this season.

Rcariveau's picture

April 26, 2021 at 01:11 pm

Not gonna happen trading next year #1, that would be desperate and a waste. They just brought back most of the best team from last year. GB has shown they can get WR in rd 2 and later with the great success. Grab the best player available, I like the idea of trading back some as there are a lot of players that can fill needs between picks 29 - 37.

Look at the history GB isn't drafting a ILB 1st rd. DB, OL or Edge is going to be the pick. If they can get Jamin Davis Rd 2 at ILB great, otherwise they will not grab one until mid-late rounds. kammal and Barnes showed a lot as rookies last year. Hopefully new DC Barry who coached LB's can help improve.

GB also locked up the best LT in the NFL, not sure why he is getting mentioned here. A freak accident and will be ready early in the season. You don't let Bak leave the building until this current contract is up.

PhantomII's picture

April 26, 2021 at 02:55 pm

Reason Bak is mentioned is his salary has completely torpedoed our chances of significantly improving other positions as he was unavailable in the NFCC game and it is so obvious we need major contributors at DL and CB positions and we don't need ANY player getting paid in the 20 mill range that is not a QB. I DON'T CARE WHO THE PLAYER IS. It's better to average that amount amongst 2-3 players for overall quality of a team. He's no more important than RT. Savvy Edge rushers hit from both positions at any time not just at his position. So Rodgers has his back angled to him, if he got the ball out on time it doesn't matter much. LT did not keep Rodgers from having 2 broken collar bones. Bad habits made it happen, twice. Trading back is a TT move. We need to get as far away from that thinking as possible. We can draft a replacement OT in RD 2-4. Maybe if Rodgers is not quite so comfortable, he gets the play called faster and ball out to our WR, TE quicker. Rodgers usually rolls out to his right taking him away from his LT and closer to RT.

Titletown222's picture

April 26, 2021 at 06:51 pm

It does not make sense to trade next years number 1. The number of underclass men coming out next year will be significantly higher than this year. There are too many players this year that either sat out or played very few games making it harder to scout

PhantomII's picture

April 26, 2021 at 10:45 pm

This draft has a plethora of OT, CB, WR's that are right there for the taking. We need at least 2 of each and the higher up we get them the better. Trade down for poorer players or less polished projects. We need guys that can contribute. The 4 or more QB's and 5 WR's are 1/3 of the top of the draft and we are definitely going to get a good player if we trade up or stay put. Trading down for a lesser player is not going to help a team Back to back NFCC games get over the hump when we don't have any money to get FA's. Best player we NEED that we can get our hands on. CB-S, DL, WR, and reluctantly OT w/ mean streak in run game would help.

murf7777's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:24 pm

I did a mock draft with the draft network with multiple trades to get as many top 100 picks as possible. It was fun to see what I could get, but the reality of finding this many trade partners with the deals I received is nil.

Here are my picks, thoughts?

#34 - Eric Stokes CB Georgia
61 - Jabril Cox ILB LSU
65 Aman St. Brown WR USC (1st pick in 3rd round)
69 Dayon Nixon IDL Iowa
88 Quincy roche Edge Miami
102 Kenneth Gainwell RB Memphis
111 Benjamin St-Juste CB Minny
133 Walker Little OT
149 Jadon Darden WR North Texas
230 Demetric Felton WR UCLA

For those keeping record, that is (2) 2nds, (4) 3rds, (2) 4ths, (1) 5th and (1) 7th round picks for a total of 10.

Alberta_Packer's picture

April 26, 2021 at 04:43 pm

I like your thinking - maximize with as many top 100 picks as possible. Also some interesting player choices - although I would pass on Nixon at 69 for Bobby Brown or K. Tonga in later rounds. Also I would take Robert Rochelle over St- Juste - who might be lacking the quick twitch and short area reaction that is required for an effective CB. You also went WR-centric. Prudent - as virtually every Packer receiver will be a free agent after this year.

PatrickGB's picture

April 26, 2021 at 04:34 pm

I assume that the team had willing partners in those trades and that no other team was willing to trade with the team that traded with us. All these “what if’s” make my head hurt.

ImFubared's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Wonder if Gutt pisses his pants now or during the draft. Personally I have no fiath at all in a GM who in February before the combine that he had picked his number one guy and got him with the 12 pick. What an idiot does that.
He did also say they value someone who can play mulitple positions, something the pack pride themselves on, versus a talented player who can only do one thing.
That is BS.

ImFubared's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:45 pm

That is BS.

Rcariveau's picture

April 26, 2021 at 01:16 pm

Gute has done a pretty damn good job since becoming GM. He has cleaned up pretty well from TT last couple drafts, and lack of use if FA.

Gutey has used FA and drafted well early in the drafts.

PhantomII's picture

April 26, 2021 at 06:57 pm

He's currently ranked GM #13 for draft purposes minus Gary and Savage possible future pro bowl or all pro some day.

April 26, 2021 at 02:08 pm

"Personally I have no fiath at all in a GM who in February before the combine that he had picked his number one guy and got him with the 12 pick. What an idiot does that."

The same kind of idiot who believes GM doubletalk.

HankScorpio's picture

April 26, 2021 at 06:37 pm

I bet when Ron Wolf stepped up to the podium to talk about John Michels after just missing on Ray Lewis, he talked about how Michels was an awesome pick that was everything they hoped to get. Years later, when it no longer meant anything, the truth came out.

Just like last year when they floated the BS that Indy was moving up for Jordan Love so they had to jump 3 teams that were never going to draft a QB.

Since'61's picture

April 26, 2021 at 12:48 pm

This is the first time that I have actually seen a draft pick value chart. I'm not sure which assumptions Coach Johnson used to determine the value amounts but it looks like he used a dart board to me. Except for the #1 pick in the draft the rest of the values seem totally arbitrary.

Now maybe there are legitimate assumptions behind the numbers but a nearly 50% drop off between the #1 and #3 pick seems like a huge plunge to me.

In any case, given how the values tighten up later in the first round and into the second round makes another argument for either standing pat at #29 or trading back into the early second round especially if we can pick up another 3rd rounder.

Thanks, Since '61

greengold's picture

April 26, 2021 at 02:14 pm

Yeah, it really is something, and I can imagine seeing it now for the first time, but, the numbers have held up through multiple trades in the decades since. Once you get used to it as a reference, it's pretty cool.

The money shots are VERY TALENTED in the top 150 - especially in our wheel house from 29 on... Surprisingly, it looks like a ton of gems can be found 170 - all the way through to 256. This year seems to be a highly unusual draft, where you can plug players past 200 into an emergency starting role at OL, DL, S, CB, WR and I suspect they would be serviceable. There are some that will surprise.

It's looking like a really great draft to have 10 picks in. If Gutekunst can actually get more than 10 in this draft, awesome. No doubt.

You and I know some players R1-3 that will fit a few trade down scenarios who could really help this team... As long as the Packers don't trade up, I think we will be good. If Gutekunst does trade up, woosh. That would be a big investment, knowing the number of talents in that top 150, where we will have to sacrifice any number of those picks, depending.

Oppy's picture

April 26, 2021 at 03:50 pm

I've always found it hilarious that in a sport where hobbyists and professionals alike pride themselves on insightful analysis, there's this draft pick value chart that a single guy compiled and every slot was arbitrarily assigned a value (according to him), and everyone in the world just takes it at face value as gospel.

I would not be shocked if most teams don't even consult that chart. I honestly think it a crutch that is leaned on by talking heads and draftniks more than it is a tool used by NFL front offices. Every team is going to have different priorities based on personnel needs and financial situation, and every draft is going to have completely different players passing through it, which makes every draft slot worth something completely different to every team on any given year.

Trade value chart is more valuable for the business of broadcasting and attracting viewers than it is for assessing a "good deal" or when teams should/shouldn't make moves. There, I said it.

nstewart1's picture

April 26, 2021 at 05:58 pm

There are a number of Trade Value Charts that have evolved over the years, largely compiled from actual trades. I imagine the Packers have their own. These are valuable tools, although hardly written in stone.

HankScorpio's picture

April 26, 2021 at 06:56 pm

I think Gute had the Packers chart adjust the value of their 4th rounders to 0 after he took J'Mon Moore. I guess you couldn't really blame him as badly as Moore turned out.

He's traded away all (3) 4th rounders he's had since that pick. In trades that made say "he moved up for that guy"?

Johnblood27's picture

April 26, 2021 at 08:14 pm

The Dan Devine trade value chart is gospel for me...

CheesyTex's picture

April 26, 2021 at 09:05 pm

Thanks, Johnblood, I needed a grin today.

blffan4's picture

April 29, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Actually, there are two other more updated draft value charts that are also in use now as things have changed some in the 30+ years since Jimmy Johnson developed his. That said, the values from draft to draft do change some as this year there's more value in the day 2 because of the depth of this draft where in other years the first round picks might have increased value because of a lack of depth. And I agree with you that these value charts have almost more value for those watching the draft than those actually making the picks.

April 27, 2021 at 05:58 am

The numbers correspond pretty well to the slope of "The Value of an NFL Draft Pick" by draft slot (as measured by Pro Football's Career Average metric). I have issued with PFR's CarAv metric, but there are so few that make even a half-assed attempt at it.

This link isn't the one I was looking for as it only considers the first five years and needs more than 5 years of service and a longer x axis to differentiate between pick 20 and 40 better.

HarryHodag's picture

April 26, 2021 at 03:30 pm

Gute has had three drafts and the Packers are 28-8 over the last two seasons.

Goodness! How can they be so terrible?(snicker and heavy sigh).

They only have multiple All-Pros and Pro Bowlers and the League MVP. Maybe they should quit and join the CFL(snicker and heavy sigh)?

CoachDino's picture

April 26, 2021 at 04:25 pm

he's not. He's actually been one of the best. many of us fail to use context when evaluating darfts. The amount of picks they don't work out are much hirer than many of us realize. There has been plenty of statistical analysis done and they all have Gute very high on his drafts.

On avg if you can obtain 2 starters per draft you have been successful. Drafting an all-Pro or pro-bowler on occasion is pretty good. He has drafted a few already and guys like Gary are on the rise (savage/Jenkins/JA) Three in three drafts - unheard of.

Of the 250 plus guys drafted there are usually 15 that are graded as 1st year starters. Now if you look at a bad team, that drafts early in each round the chances of having to start draft picks increases. If you are a good team, drafting late in the process the chances decrease.

canadapacker's picture

April 26, 2021 at 05:04 pm

Totally agree and I think that you can really tell what a loser organization versus a successful organization is to compare first round picks on a team by team basis. The Ravens have been very successful - versus the Browns - just put the comparison. And when you factor the number of picks with single digits of the Browns versus say the Ravens and GB - we have been pretty good at avoiding misses - big misses especially like Justin Harrell. I also think that Gute has done better than TT - just looking at the last 3 years - better than TT's last 3 years - just looking at 2nd and 3rd rounders. But it is really too early to count on last years draft until what Dillon and Degurara show this year and Love down the road.

hobowilly's picture

April 26, 2021 at 09:51 pm

appreciate your post Dino. I feel the same way, if you can garner a couple starters (not necessarily in first year) you've beat the odds. Gratefully we packer die hearts have been spoiled with 30+ years with pro bowl (HOF) QB's which keep us in the playoffs.

Now, as "they" say, we're only a player away perhaps. On offense we need a contributor, hopefully a WR, that may double as a return guy, or, perhaps a good DB can do that. The new special teams coach is an unknown, but guess what, there's only 1 direction to go, lol.
AND, the Packers must progress defensively, that'll be something to keep our eye on with a new DC--that, itself is a wildcard.

We now have a fine GM and a very successful HC, so we are set to continue: be thankful!!!

April 27, 2021 at 06:18 am

Gute's saving grace is the sheer quality of 3 of his selections. In three drafts so far he only actually has 4 starters to date, but those 4 (well, 3 anyway) are really good: Jaire, Jenkins, Savage, and I'd include MVS as a starter.

I'd expect Gary, perhaps Deguara, Keke, and hopefully Martin (not to mention Sternberger) to become either starters or big(ger) contributors. 2018 draft looks dead though unless one thinks JK Scott and Bradley Hunter (eww) should count, or Jackson has a healthy year four jump.

greengold's picture

April 27, 2021 at 08:47 am

TGR, this is so spot on. Projecting for 2021 targeted development, I'm convinced these players move firmly into the "starter" category:

Rashon Gary
AJ Dillon
Kamal Martin
---
Jaire Alexander
Marquez Valdez Scantling
Elgton Jenkins
Darnell Savage

7 starters in 3 drafts, could very easily be 8 once Love sees regular action. I think we see Gutekunst improving. He certainly had a lot to address once taking the GM job, and we are starting to see big results from 2018 and 2019. 2020 is too soon to call, but I like the Dillon and Martin picks to show they belong this season. Hoping Love won't have to show that, but, I believe he could if needed. We'll see. Hoping to see a huge haul of great talent this week.

Leatherhead's picture

April 26, 2021 at 05:12 pm

The draft is for the future, about improving the 60+ guys that you’ll start the season with. The Packers are in the enviable position of not needing an impact player so they have quite a bit of latitude.

IMO, this team wins with a well-protected QB using some very good skill positions guys to move the ball and score points....without turning the ball over. Three of our four losses were in games we had multiple turnovers. This is a veteran offensive group that repeatedly scores 30+ points, on the road, despite injuries, regardless of who’s on defense. So I’d swim against the current and say “feed the offense”. Get some linemen and a RB and keep those 30+ point games coming.

Defensively, we could use a guy who can help us in short yardage and goal line. Big Sumbitch. Help the defense win 3rd and short so the offense can come back on the .

I don’t think we’ll trade down, but we might use ourDay 3 picks to move up. I think this draft is going to be more about quality than quantity.

April 26, 2021 at 06:22 pm

This draft is to deep to give away picks. I have 2 Wrs in the 6th. Both for Special Teams. 2 Rbs. 1 in 5, the other in 7. Just a deep draft that fits the packers if they don't give them away.

Leatherhead's picture

April 26, 2021 at 07:03 pm

If the draft is “too deep” on the 3rd day, doesn’t it stand to reason that the UDFA market is also deep?

The Packers would like to win a Super Bowl this year with Aaron Rodgers. IMO, three or four guys that are good enough to help NOW is better than six or eight guys that need to develop

An OT to make holes and protect. A DT who can help in short yardage. A DB that can tackle and cover. If we could get all three of those guys in the first 70 picks or so, , that’s a good draft. We can use UDFAs to fill out the roster and practice squad.

Starrbrite's picture

April 26, 2021 at 08:26 pm

Well said Leatherhead.

MarkinMadison's picture

April 26, 2021 at 09:37 pm

I'm all for picking up another choice in the top 85. Much below that and I'm not sure I'd be on board. I am a little surprised at how poorly the Packers have down with 3rd round picks in recent years.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

April 27, 2021 at 09:47 am

I miss having a big mean dude behind the line and would like to see the closest thing to a
Ray Nitschke ripping the helmet of anyone who dares to come near him. I pray we have something like that in this draft and he wears Green and Gold next year.

Leatherhead's picture

April 27, 2021 at 10:38 am

Yeah, the snarling snotknockers of the past have been replaced by guys who can cover.

greengold's picture

April 27, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Dude, I'm right with you. There are not a ton of those talents available this year, but there are what look to be some good ones Day 1-2.

Oppy's picture

April 27, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Those big mean dudes who rip the helmet off anyone who dares come near them are now total liabilities and cost teams games in today's NFL.

The player protection rules in place now give away 15 yards, spot balls at site of infraction, and issue suspensions to players who terrorize the middle of the field.

It's just a different game now.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

April 27, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Oppy, the term is used as a metaphor.

April 28, 2021 at 02:08 am

I'm old enough to remember Butkus: lots of old players have said on camera that Butkus wanted to hurt people. Ripping off helmets was optional if the head was still inside the helmet.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

April 28, 2021 at 10:28 am

And I am old enough to remember the time that "Mean Joe Green" of the Steelers grabbed Butkus by the jersey after a play was over, lifted him to his toes and spit in his face. The moniker Joe was given was apropos for his demeanor. Nobody messed with "Mean Joe Green".

hobowilly's picture

April 28, 2021 at 10:49 pm

FD, but you also recall that great coke commercial with him giving the kid his coke, or was it his jersey? Or, did they swap....either way it was nifty! Bet you can't remember what college he played for. Not many can.

It was the green wave of North Texas State.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

May 02, 2021 at 10:04 am

I do remember the ad where the kid gave Joe the Coke and he took a swig and then as he was walking away he said "Hey Kid" and tossed him his Jersey. I'm not sure on the college but my guess is Michigan State, but that's just a wild guess.