Packers Snap Counts Versus The Chiefs: Week Nine

The Packers wasted a fine defensive effort due to an ineffective offense and dreadful special teams play.

The Packers activated Marquez Valdes-Scantling from Injured Reserve and signed Blake Bortles to the practice squad.  Bortles was promoted to the active list as a Covid 19 Replacement Player.  Aaron Rodgers and Isaac Yiadom were placed on the Covid Reserve List.  The Packers previously signed RB Patrick Taylor from the Practice Squad to the 53-man roster after Kylin Hill was placed on Injured Reserve.

The Packers did not activate David Bakhtiari in time for this game.  The Packers must activate Bakhtiari by Wednesday or place him on Injured Reserve for the rest of the season.  Dennis Kelly found his way back onto the field and the active list for the first time since week four.  Vernon Scott and LaDarius Hamilton once again were healthy scratches.  Kingsley Keke was also inactive due to a concussion, while Isaiah McDuffie was inactive in a somewhat surprising move.  Eric Stokes was active but he injured himself during warm-ups and did not play.  Blake Bortles was active but did not play.

Player Snaps % STs

Lazard 53 84
Valdes-Scantling 34 54
Cobb 33 52
St. Brown 3 5 15 - 68%
Rodgers     12 - 55%
M. Taylor     15 - 68%

The running backs rushed 20 times for 99 yards.  The Packers were able to run the ball and they got consistent positive yards on their rushing attempts.  Since the Chiefs only scored 13 points for the whole game, the Packers could have used a run-heavy offense well into the third quarter before the need to score quickly became essential.

The pass protection was a different story.  Lucas Patrick had a terrible day, yielding 8 pressures on 39 pass attempts, per Pro Football Focus' initial review.  Royce Newman's pass protection issues should be mentioned, but not in the same sentence as Patrick's.  KC's Chris Jones had 3 QB hits. PFF initially assigned pass blocking grades of 80 or better to Jenkins, Runyan and Turner.

PFF assigned 17 pressures to the Packers on 39 drop backs (43.59%), with 14 pressures assigned to the offensive line.  NFLgsis credited KC with 7 quarterback hits, 1 sack, and noted that KC blitzed on 56.4% of Love's drop backs.  It seemed to me that the Chiefs were able too often able to overload one side so as to have one more blocker than the Packers had available as blockers.  I also did not see many plays in which a wide receiver was an obvious "hot" read.

Those who break down film might be able to tell whether the Packers were able to adjust protection schemes or audible into better plays.  Matt LaFleur elected to play 2.87 wide receivers per play on average and just 1 tight end (counting Dafney as a tight end) and 1 running back.  Those formations might be suitable for a polished and veteran quarterback like Aaron Rodgers to run and make a blitz-happy defense pay for their aggressiveness, but it seems less than ideal for a quarterback making his first NFL start.

Player Snaps % STs

Summers     18 - 82%

Slaton 45 69 9 - 41%
Lancaster 36 55 9 - 41%
Clark 24 37
Lowry 22 34 4 - 18%
Heflin 10 15 3 - 14%

Kenny Clark left with a back injury and did not return.  Rookie T.J. Slaton picked up most of the slack, with Lancaster getting a larger than usual workload and Jack Heflin pitching in 10 snaps.  Dean Lowry played less than normal, probably due to being on the injury report earlier in the week.  The defensive line did not apply a lot of pressure but they were stout.  The Chiefs gained just 3.1 yards per carry.  The Packers played 2.11 true defensive linemen per play, a number within normal parameters for the team.

Rashan Gary had all 3 of the Packers' quarterback hits and its only sack.  Preston Smith did not have any official statistics but kept containment (unlike Gary) and had at least a few pressures.  Krys Barnes was active and physical, including a big tackle near the goal line.  He led the Packers with 9 tackles (7 solo) with Campbell chipping in 7 tackles (4 solo).  There were some coverage issues over the middle, but nothing too major.  TE Kelce caught 5 passes on 8 targets for 68 yards, includes two explosive plays that combined gained 47 yards.  However, his 8.5 yards per target is a more than acceptable result.  Tyreek Hill caught just 4 passes on 11 targets for 37 yards.

The secondary allowed just 68 net yards on 21 targets (9 receptions), per PFF's initial recap.  Mahomes had 166 passing yards, so presumably PFF assigned the other receiving yards to Green Bay's linebackers.  Savage had 2 passes defensed while King had 1, which was a good opportunity for an interception.  King had 7 tackles while Sullivan added 5.  Savage had an important stop.  The Chiefs converted just 5 of 14 third downs and 1 of 2 fourth down plays.  The Packers gave up only 13 points, and 10 of them came off of special teams miscues.

Special teams were dreadful.  Amari Rodgers does not appear to be sure-handed and his decision making is also suspect.  Gaffes by Special Teams gave the Chiefs the ball inside the Packers' 12-yard line on two occasions, leading to 10 points.

The Packers released LS Bradley and promoted Steve Wirtel to the active roster.  He was not good.  Bojorquez is a good punter, but his poor reputation as a holder seems justified.  The Packers missed two short field goals, with one being blocked.  If no one else can hold, it might be time to import someone who does nothing but hold.  Finding a long snapper should also be on Gutekunst's agenda.

This was an utterly winnable game.  It was winnable with Jordan Love at quarterback, and a likely win with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback.

WR: 2.87

RB: 1.02

TE: 1.02

DL: 2.11

ILB: 1.76

OLB: 2.22

DB: 4.97

November 08, 2021 at 05:40 am

I hope Kenny is okay (and Stokes, of course). I am encouraged by the play of Slaton, Heflin and particularly Lancaster. They were stout. GB didn't need a ton of pressure from the IDL since Mahomes looked shaky as is.

I am encouraged by the play of Douglas, Sullivan, and Savage and Amos continue to be solid. Savage had a very good game.

Loved what I saw from Barnes, and Campbell can be relied upon. Apparently they will get nicked for coverage, but I am not overly concerned. Those yards weren't the difference. Not so sure it wasn't scheme related anyway. I will have to watch the game again.

I draw no conclusions about Jordan Love from this game. Yeah, it looked like he didn't always recognize the defense he was facing, or adjust the protection scheme appropriately, and it looked like the receivers never thought they were the "hot read." I am not surprised. Love didn't even get 2nd string reps in 2020. Those touting his getting the reps in the mandatory minicamp are overestimating that benefit. There is nothing like dealing with a defense that is not vanilla and is actively trying to confuse AR kills KC. That's on AR. Love might have won this game with decent special teams play. King making that INT might have turned out to be a big play.

I forgot Amari's 16 yard return. Probably should have mentioned it, but it was on a 64-yard punt, so KC still netted 48 yards, which I deem a win for KC.

HawkPacker's picture

November 08, 2021 at 06:50 am

I agree on Love. I am not sure what we have with him. He did look a bit confused at times which makes sense but I did not see him display much confidence. I would like to see a little cockiness from him just to show that he understands exactly what he is doing.

Seemed to me like in the first half and early in the second half he was just lobbing the ball to the receivers but later on he was firing it to them a bit more confidently. We need to see that from him all game long.

Is he our qb of the future? I think it remains to be seen. I remember first seeing AR going in for Favre in like his second year and he was not impressive at all in fact I think he got injured right away from a 'not too serious hit' and I thought he wouldn't be any good. Wow was I wrong!

LambeauPlain's picture

November 08, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Fans were grumbling about Rodgers abilities his first few years in Green Bay. It is humorous some fans are done with Love after his first regular season game losing by 6 after STs gave up 10 points.

LLCHESTY's picture

November 08, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Definitely agree they should've gone with a more run heavy attack, especially Dillon. The Chiefs were struggling stopping him and he might've worn them down with more use.

I thought Slaton was getting good push most of the time but needs to disengage faster. Montgomery said he needs to work on his hands and it showed with extended snaps but there is a lot to like with him. Hopefully Keke can return soon but his concussion issue last year was why I wanted to see them draft a 3t this spring or pick up a FA.

Cubbygold's picture

November 08, 2021 at 05:46 am

I really hope 69 is activated before Wednesday, I've just always assumed he's coming back. This o-line has held up in his absence for the most part, but they really need Newman out of the starting rotation.

Thought love played well. If ST hits the field goals its an entirely different game and love doesn't get blitzed nearly as often as he did. Guy wasn't perfect, and he didn't make his way into the MVP conversation yesterday, but saw a lot of potential and I liked how he settled down after the first quarter.

November 08, 2021 at 06:58 am

I am absolutely sure (99.99% anyway) that GB will activate Bakh soon.

I am drawing zero conclusions about Love. Too early. He didn't throw up 4 INTs or anything. [I am reading Nathan Peterman analogies, which I didn't check but assume are reasonably on point.] Maybe he learned from AR and really the current NFL that turnovers are killers.

I edited the article to correct Runyan's snap count. He missed 5 snaps (played 58), hence Hanson's snaps. I guess Kelly and Nijman aren't guards.

Coldworld's picture

November 08, 2021 at 08:17 am

I was surprised Kelly wasn’t in at guard when Runyon went out. Nijman is probably too tall to play guard? I do note that the Packers seemed to feel Hanson showed potential at G in the preseason, so perhaps it’s a reflection of that too.

4thand1's picture

November 08, 2021 at 07:17 am

MLF better learn he has to come up with better game when AR is not playing. Coaches coach players play, the coach has to put the player in the best position to win, MLF didn't........................PERIOD!

November 08, 2021 at 07:42 am

The lack of TE snaps bothers me as does the lack of RB snaps. I recognize that they tend to play off each other, but this should have been a game where the Packers were emphasizing (and sticking with) the run and playing more protection to let Love see the field. I would have argued they should have been scheming pass out of run sets to keep KC at bay. Instead, how many empty backfields did we see last night?...and when they would split out a RB and motion him into the backfield, KC was not fooled.

Can't have 20 called runs in that situation when you're getting 5+ ypc. Just as a crude, back of the envelope calculation, the Packers had a 7-8 pass-run call in their first three possessions (Love scrambles are called passes). The next four possessions were 15-5. But it's not as if they weren't moving the ball...on 9 possessions, more than half went for 40+ yards.

OL MUST play better. Too much pressure in Love's face, even when KC was rushing 5 or fewer. Would have liked to have seen the Packers start moving the pocket, using some called roll/sprint outs. Make KC chase more on those up-the-gut blitzes, and make their defense cover, even if it was only half the field.

IF Love plays against Seattle, who will be coming off a bye, he'll see more of the same.

November 08, 2021 at 09:01 am

The TE snaps made me wonder if LaFleur disliked his options there. Dafney really is a fullback or some kind of H-Back and Deguara is strictly a move TE or F-back.

So, I wondered how Bronson Kaufusi, the 6'6", 270 pound former DL has been looking in practice? There is no way for me to know. Who knows, perhaps he will be elevated for a game from the practice squad. Might even be a candidate for being the blocker on the wing for FGs and extra points like Tonyan tried to be.

The heavy reliance on 11 personnel baffled me. Some empty sets, and when GB went to two RBs KC just mugged Jones repeatedly, IIRC. 2.87 WRs!!! I kept looking for slants or some crossers or drag routes. Maybe they were there. Another smart person commented that there were plenty of 3 step drops, but I expected some rolling pockets and a QB draw of two might have worked. Again, I need to watch the game again.

HawkPacker's picture

November 08, 2021 at 09:27 am

TGR is there any possibility that they can design a few TE plays for Lazard?

November 08, 2021 at 01:24 pm

If he's running a route, there's no difference. He's not a threat to block or chip a DE or OLB.

November 08, 2021 at 04:16 pm

Not as an inline blocker, as dobber noted. When he lines up flexed out/in the slot, he is pretty good at moving laterally to block a De or OLB. Those are wham blocks, IIRC. Those are usually more seal blocks and not blocks that Lazard is expected to create a hole or square up with a DE or OLB and move the defender.

LambeauPlain's picture

November 08, 2021 at 12:40 pm

I agree. I was totally expecting a lot of 12 personnel and even some 22.

Empty backfields and constant passing to the perimeter looked like McCarthy has returned for a cameo.

Coldworld's picture

November 08, 2021 at 08:11 am

“ Those formations might be suitable for a polished and veteran quarterback like Aaron Rodgers to run and make a blitz-happy defense pay for their aggressiveness, but it seems less than ideal for a quarterback making his first NFL start.”

Baffling. It looked like they never changed the game plan, not before and not during. Perhaps the timing was part of that, but there should be a back up plan in case any QB 2 needs to go on short notice and that QB 2 needs time with the starters in preseason. Of the two skill players Love has okayed with, ESB had perhaps 5 snaps on O (and missed most of camp) and Taylor had none. Surely you give a new QB at least one player he’s got familiarity with?

LaFleur laid an egg as big as Patrick did. Only Drayton surpassed that with a Herculeanly poor showing and a clearly botched LS transition.

November 08, 2021 at 04:21 pm

I have to admit, I liked that paragraph when I wrote it. I wish I had time to polish my paragraphs up as that one has an extra word or two in it, but I only have an hour or so to insert the info and write up my observations.

Guam's picture

November 08, 2021 at 08:11 am

Special teams are officially a disaster. Amari Rodgers looks very uncomfortable catching punts as he muffed one and put Malik Taylor in an impossible situation when he waived off a catch at the last second. The long snapper - holder issues have been well discussed elsewhere. I think Drayton needs to go. ST likely cost the Packers this game and that should never happen.

Not a fan of MLF's game plan. He had to know the KC DC would blitz Love at every opportunity and yet there were very few hot reads, too few check downs to the backs and zero draws in the game plan. MLF also abandoned the run much too quickly. His "Coach of the Year" creds just took a hit with this game plan.

The IOL was not good. TGR pointed out the poor PFF grades for Patrick and Newman. Love had pressure straight up the gut all afternoon. I will be happy to see Patrick or Newman head for the bench when Bahk returns.

I was not impressed with Love in the first half. He looked tentative and a bit "deer in the headlights" during the first two quarters. I thought he looked more poised and confident in the second half when he started to step into his throws more and he had a good run in the late third quarter, early fourth quarter. In his defense, it is hard to play QB with a bad game play and pressure in your face most of the afternoon. For me the jury is still out on Love. Saw some good things and some bad things - more playing time will tell more.

Coldworld's picture

November 08, 2021 at 08:23 am

I agree with you about Love taking time to settle. I do not know why KaFleur didn’t scheme to get him going and settled. You would think there would be a set of plays drawn up for that purpose since there is always a chance that a back up will have to go in. Apparently not. That’s surely a sign of inexperience on the part of LaFleur.

Guam's picture

November 08, 2021 at 09:52 am

I fully expected a game plan that had Love rolling out more or perhaps just moving pockets (as well as more blitz response plays) because Spagnola is known for playing pressure defense. The game plan was just a mystery to me. To his credit MLF owned that issue after the game although I wonder was he taking the blame to take the pressure off Love or because he really believed he had screwed up the game plan.

At least Love has his first game under his belt and hopefully will improve along with some help from his coach and his O-line.

November 08, 2021 at 09:09 am

I think Lucas Patrick is a better guard than he is a center. Patrick had a couple of decent games but things have gone down hill recently.

So, when Bakh returns, I am leaning towards moving Jenkins to center. Patrick and Newman can battle it out for RG, but RG is Patrick's best position, IMO. I also lean towards getting Newman off the field, so there is that consideration. My mind is open on what to do with Jenkins when Bakh returns.

I know Dennis Kelly has played some guard as well. I don't know what his health situation is or how long ago that was.

Guam's picture

November 08, 2021 at 09:56 am

Patrick seems a little slow out of his stance when he plays center and quick DT's take advantage of that. Since Myers will be out for awhile, I think the Packers only real option is to move Jenkins to center. No QB plays well (not even Rodgers) with consistent pressure straight up the middle.

November 08, 2021 at 01:30 pm

"So, when Bakh returns, I am leaning towards moving Jenkins to center"

I tend to agree, at this point, not knowing when Myers will be available. Would not be surprised to see Newman sit in favor of Patrick at RG, but it's really 3 guys for two spots (LG, RG) at that stage.

LambeauPlain's picture

November 08, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Agree with your post. Love played like a redshirt rookie...which he is. KC blitzed him nearly half the time and over half on 3rd down. Matt had to know this was coming and certainly by the second quarter it was clear Love was going to be under lots of pressure. To keep a game plan that pressured your QB to make long developing perimeter throws...well, SMH.

I have seen a tendency in Matt to be either very stubborn (like McCarthy) or overly confident in his game plan. Very disappointed in the lack of adjustments in the game and lack of creativity in the plan from the get go.

Motions, jets, lots of play action, 2 back sets, more 2 TE formations all would have helped the "redshirt rookie".

November 08, 2021 at 01:26 pm

Yeah, my "late to the party" comment of the day would be that Amari Rodgers needs to not be returning punts.

alex's picture

November 08, 2021 at 08:41 am

Have to agree…

jont's picture

November 08, 2021 at 09:38 am

"Packers must activate Bakhtiari by Wednesday or place him on Injured Reserve for the rest of the season."

I've read nothing to indicate he won't be activated, and when I put this together with a defense that is starting to look truly good, I am pretty optimistic about the rest of this season.

JohnnyLogan's picture

November 08, 2021 at 11:02 am

402 yards and 3 TDs. Those are the stats Mike White, a New York Jet QB put up last week in his first NFL start. I watched the game. He wasn't rattled when blitzed. He completed 39 passes to 10 different no-name receivers. 14 screen passes to two no-name running backs. His throws were crisp tight spirals. His accuracy on some throws was Rodgers-like.

That's what I was hoping to see from Love. Naw, not even close. Love looked nowhere near as poised as White and his throws didn't have the same impressive zing to them.

There are excuses of course; Love's lack of first team snaps, MLF's game plan, the awful play of the inerior line, but one that I haven't heard mentioned enough is the receivers. MVS and Lazard are not good. They can catch the ball when the Ol protects Rodgers long enough that they can get open and he lays it in their hands. But don't expect them to get open for quick hitters. They can't get separation. Neither is a legit #2 receiver in this league. That hurt Love yesterday as much as anything.

LambeauPlain's picture

November 08, 2021 at 01:00 pm

I think Love could have connected on 14 screen passes too that would have shut down the blitzing. Packers have been fairly good on screens too. Why Matt kept screens out of the game plan is puzzling.

November 08, 2021 at 04:40 pm

What you wrote is all accurate. But it needs context.

White was a 5th round draft pick in 2018. This is his fourth season. He didn't have any stats prior to this year, true, but he has been around the NFL on teams or their practice squads. He has earned $1.7M in cash.

The week prior to his first start, White played in relief of the starter and played 72% of the snaps. He threw 1 TD, 2 INTs, 20/32 for 202 yards, and had a passer rating of 64.8. I don't know how he looked, and his stats have more volume than Love's. Love went 19/34 for 190, 1 TD, 1 INT, and a 69 passer rating.

I think Love would do better if he were to be the starter against Seattle. I acknowledge that for me, it is wait to see what we've got in Love. I am not a fan of Lazard as the #2 - I agree with you there. I think MVS serves a useful purpose on this team, and his routes can take time to develop, which Love didn't have. Still looking for MVS to become a complete receiver, including intermediate and shorter routes. Love did find MVS for 2 receptions, either consecutive plays or otherwise close in time. Need more.

JohnnyLogan's picture

November 10, 2021 at 12:19 am

I agree with you that we need to see more of Love and I’m hopeful. What choice do we have? But he did not look good. All that has been written about him when he was drafted unfortunately continues to play out; Poor judgement, throws picks, inaccurate. But in a clean pocket he does seem to be better than adequate so who knows?

Lazard and MVS have been around long enough that we know what they’re capable of. MVS is the kid you tell “Go long!” because he can’t do anything else and there’s a reason that most of Lazard’s time is spent blocking. Neither of them is capable of getting open quickly. They are bottom of the barrel starters.

The Packers need a legit #2 receiver for the playoffs.

PatrickGB's picture

November 08, 2021 at 11:18 am

“ The Packers wasted a fine defensive effort due to an ineffective offense and dreadful special teams play”.

A good defensive effort is is never wasted. It is a building block to even greater things!

splitpea1's picture

November 08, 2021 at 11:32 am

Great point about the formations, as it is unreasonable for MLF to assume that a fresh rookie can handle pressure the way that Rodgers can. MLF needed to mentally wipe his offensive slate clean and construct a Love-friendly game plan--maybe not enough time for this game, but you might have thought he would have been prepared for the prospect of AR missing time, anyway.

Okay, so Bojo isn't a good holder; can't Drayton, Crosby, or anyone find somebody on the team who is? Or maybe Bojo has to put in some extra work. Jeez, just get it done!

PAPackerbacker's picture

November 08, 2021 at 12:39 pm

This was a game that needed a team effort from everyone and it did not happen. Special teams was horrible, no support for the constant blitzing, had success running the ball but didn't stick with it. If the rest of the team played as good as the defense the Packers would be 8 - 1. Learn from the mistakes, make corrections, and move on. Go1 Pack! Go!

jont's picture

November 08, 2021 at 04:41 pm

"This was a game that needed a team effort from everyone and it did not happen."

Key point.
I really expected to see serious, dig deep kind of hustle and focus. This is what disappointed me. I had, IMO, realisitic expectations for Love (a bit better than we saw as it turned out) and believed a total team effort could've grabbed a win.

LambeauPlain's picture

November 08, 2021 at 01:11 pm

Matt took the blame developing a poor game plan for Love to succeed at.

But I have not heard him explain why he didn't adjust during the game. Maybe he made some adjustments but they were not obvious. This would have been a good dink and dunk game, screens, motion, 12 & 22 sets and pound the rock.

flackcatcher's picture

November 08, 2021 at 06:29 pm

The one major weakness of Lafleur's scheme is the inability to adjust his skill positions within his scheme. It's hard to tell if this is a weakness of the scheme, or the HC or play caller who is operating it. (Having Aaron Rodgers as your play caller on the field does cover up a lot of weakness)

flackcatcher's picture

November 08, 2021 at 06:17 pm

Some comments: This failure rests on Lafleur. Not taking Love's lack of snaps into account in designing his game plan is unreal. His inability to adjust at half time to KC Hackett defense is simply baffling. Patrick was dealing with both in line stunts and delayed red dogging from the first play, why the Packers never adjusted their protection scheme is pretty strange. But as we have seen in away games, Lafleur has problems in dealing with making player and scheme changes. The NFCC at Lambeu is only the most recent, and notorious example. Special teams are becoming a serious issue. The Packers left 6 points on the field, enough said. Despite being short handed in the secondary (again!) this defense turned in another winning performance. OLB Smith did exactly what he should playing with injury that leaves him weak on arm strength. OLB Gary is a grown man out there. Again, the only way he could be stopped is with the horse collar. The charge that he did not play contain is overrated, as the Chiefs ran away from him as part of their game plan. Once again the Packer's DC by committee came up big again. The Packers did play more three man front, but that was more of KC playing only three WR for the game letting the Packers play nickel. (Which I found pretty strange, as I thought Reid would attack the soft middle more) In general, Love played well enough for the Packers to win, why Lafleur did not go to the short slants and quick rhythm passes is beyond me.

Swisch's picture

November 08, 2021 at 07:18 pm

You raise an important point I hadn't thought of, flackcatcher, in that not only could errors in coaching affect our young QB adversely, but also our young linemen.
If an opposition defense is scheming something that is consistently beating our offense, then it may be that our coaches can make adjustments to help our players succeed on the field.
If the middle of our offensive line was getting busted by blitzes, it may not be mainly the fault of the linemen involved. It may be that too much was being asked of them, that they were being overwhelmed with too many defenders attacking too few blockers.
It may be that our coaches for the offense (especially LaFleur, Hackett, Stevanich) have to make adjustments during the game to make the defense pay for its over-aggressiveness up the middle -- with changes not only in the types of plays called, but also the blocking schemes (with perhaps some more help for the middle of the line).
In other words, coaches have to put players in positions to succeed as much as possible. It seems our coaches had a bad day against the Chiefs, which happens to everyone. Let's hope the experience gained in disappointment and defeat will be useful going forward toward a run for the Super Bowl.

flackcatcher's picture

November 09, 2021 at 01:58 pm

Normally, this would be more a technique issue for the OL. But Paul Hackett is a veteran and highly respected DC in the league. And the KC defense is hurt among their DL. While Jones is among the best DL in the league, not attacking with the run game when KC is down across the board in their defensive starters boarders on arrogance. But that has been the norm for Lafleur and his offensive coaching staff. And I am getting real tired of Lafleur's 'sorry not sorry' attitude when he knows he was out schemed, but never adjusted during the game.

Fubared's picture

November 08, 2021 at 10:44 pm

We had no real chance at all on offense and yet we were in it till the end. IMO based on what I saw of Love, he wont make it as an NFL QB. He just does not have the physical skills or mental skills to handle the fast pace of the game and the rigors it takes.