The Under-Appreciated Adrian Amos a Worthy Extension Candidate

Adrian Amos' play certainly doesn't get talked about enough and neither does the idea of him being a contract extension candidate. But he absolutely is.

When many think of potential contract extension candidates for the Green Bay Packers, of course, Davante Adams is likely the first to come to mind. I’ve heard Za’Darius Smith mentioned as well, and then there’s Aaron Rodgers, depending on how all of that plays out.

But one name really flying under the radar, and he has for much of his career, is safety Adrian Amos, who is coming off a fantastic 2020 season and is signed through the 2022 season.

By PFF’s grading system, Amos had the second-highest overall grade among safeties and ranked first among safeties in coverage by that same metric. He allowed only 7.9 yards per catch when targeted, came away with three interceptions along with seven pass breakups, and allowed a passer rating of just 79.0.

Amos would also tally three pressures, two of which were sacks, and 26 stops—or plays that constitute a “loss” for the offense.

He was on the field for over 1,100 snaps last season, which included 387 in the box, where again, he was PFF’s top-graded safety, 590 as the free safety, and 108 from the slot—showing off that versatility. Amos has shown that he’s more than capable in coverage, a willing run defender, and able to make plays near the line of scrimmage.

Although he may not always make the flashiest plays — which is likely one big reason he flies under the radar — Amos is as reliable as they come at a position that literally has the word “safe” in it. He is a true difference-maker on this already uber-talented defense, and while much of the discussion up to this point was focused on his 2020 season, go back a few years, and you’ll see similar results.

“Adrian’s a veteran presence that, from a prep standpoint, I know has helped Darnell. These are the types of guys you love to coach,” said former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine via the Wisconsin State Journal. “They’re passionate, you can tell they love football, they ask great questions, they want to be great and they want to do everything they can to help us win.

“Fortunately, it’s a great example of guys that have great preparation habits, great practice habits, do everything they’re supposed to do off the field, and we get positive results on the field.”

As previously mentioned, Amos’ deal runs through the 2022 season. The team restructured his contract earlier this offseason by adding three voided years (2023-2025) to help lower his current cap hit — those years really only count on paper — but Green Bay should be taking a longer-term approach with one of the game’s top safeties.

An extension would not only keep Amos in a Packers’ uniform beyond 2022, but it would allow Green Bay to further lower his 2021 cap hit along with his 2022 cap figure — which sits at $11.98 million at the moment — by converting portions of his base salary to signing bonus and prorating those cap charges out over the life of the deal. And as we all know, next offseason Green Bay will be in a similar situation cap-wise as they were this year and need to create space once again.

It’s always difficult to gauge what an extension would look like, but considering that Amos’ $9 million average annual value on his current contract ranks 15th among all NFL safeties — truly a tremendous value for the Packers — you can bet that he will be getting a raise in that regard.

If the Green Bay Packers are going to extend Amos at some point, admittedly, it’s not a huge rush to do so, given that he is still signed through 2022. With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if something were to get done prior to next offseason—again, providing that needed cap relief while locking down one of the best safeties in football and a strong locker room presence on this team .

“I want to show up, and I want to do my job,” said Amos via the Wisconsin State Journal. “I want to be accountable. When I go and watch the film later after the games, I want to be accountable. I don’t want to be the reason that this touchdown happened, I don’t want to be the reason they got this first down. Because I feel like I’m hanging my teammate out to dry. So that’s what I really try to take pride in, is doing my job and being accountable.”

---------------------

Born and raised in Green Bay, WI and I still call it home. After my family, watching the Packers, sharing my opinions on the team through my writing and interacting with other fans is my greatest passion. You can find me on Twitter at @Paul_Bretl.

greengold's picture

June 25, 2021 at 06:40 am

I remember Adrian Amos as one of my draft crushes from R5 2015 out of Penn St. When Gutekunst signed him to GB as a FA, I was thrilled, and I remain so. He’s a VERY solid player, worthy of an extension. He’s far exceeded my expectations.

ricky's picture

June 25, 2021 at 07:14 am

Remember, he played for the Bears, who were eager to find someone who could make more "splash plays". So they cut Amos and signed Clinton-Dix from the Packers. Effectively, this was a divisional trade. Amos continues to be a quietly very solid player, and a key member of the Packers defensive backfield. Clinton Dix is currently searching for a team to sign him.

June 25, 2021 at 08:49 am

No. The Bears did not cut Adrian Amos. His rookie contract expired.

I think the "splash plays" part of the Bears reckoning was more a smoke screen and public face than anything else. It's my bet they decided they didn't want to pay big money to two safeties and they chose Eddie Jackson over Amos. Remember that Amos started for much of his rookie year, but was beaten out for the starting job when Jackson was drafted. Amos became a starter after that due to injury, and he played well after that.

I think many of us--me included--were more than a little skeptical of the deal Amos got from the Packers. I thought he was the beneficiary of playing behind a good defensive front and playing next to Jackson. Without those things in GB, I didn't know if he'd hold up his end of the deal. Since that time, I think he's been a very solid addition...he'll never be a flashy guy, but he's steady and assignment sure. Amos gets his name called every now and then for whiffs, but every DB has a bad play every now and then, and when safeties blow it, it usually means a big play. Still, I think he's been worth his deal, and likely will be worthy of adding another 3 years to the current contract.

Handsback's picture

June 25, 2021 at 07:30 am

AA gives the Packer stability and flexibility to their secondary. They have dynamic playmaker(s) at corner and Savage coming on strong allowing the steady hand of Amos to be the leader. He will continue to be a great team leader and probably a great coach down the road when he quits playing.

Coldworld's picture

June 25, 2021 at 07:39 am

Amos is the anchor in my opinion. For me he has been and is a key factor in our defensive backfield. His signing was just as significant as that if the Smiths with respect to getting this roster back on the right track, in my opinion. I have always appreciated his presence since then (with a little irrelevant mirth at the Bears claims they upgraded).

greengold's picture

June 25, 2021 at 08:54 am

He's kind of the glue that holds that whole secondary together, not unlike Cullen Jenkins was for our DL in 2010. Does all the little things, quietly, steadily. Amos has such a great, well rounded game.

Being a draft nut, it is kind of sad thinking how differently our fortunes might have been had we just taken Eric Kendricks in R1 instead of Damarius Randall, and Grady Jarrett in R4 instead of Jake Ryan... 2015. Ugh. Ted's entire draft that year was a waste.

Redraft dreams... we could have selected a different player at every selection and would have fared better. I question whether we've really recovered from that one, 6 years ago?

Adrian Amos, by rights, should have got in the R3 area of that draft. I couldn't believe he was still hanging around there in R5 for CHI to scoop up. I'm glad we have him now!

Packers0808's picture

June 25, 2021 at 07:44 am

Has quietly earned much respect and certainly a new contract with a significant pay boost without doubt!

Rossonero's picture

June 25, 2021 at 08:00 am

Think back to after the 2012 season when we let Charles Woodson go....for the next several seasons we floundered with bust after bust in the draft (MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian, etc.) until Clinton-Dix came along. And while he made some splash plays and big picks, he also tended to give up big plays and couldn't tackle. Ultimately, his play and his attitude ultimately regressed to such poor levels that he was given the boot and is now out of football.

I was thrilled when they signed Amos away -- from all teams -- Chicago. Is he a flashy guy making splash plays? No, but he does make plays still. He just seems to fly under the radar.

Does he give up big plays ? No. Rarely, if ever is he caught out of position.

Is he one of the best tacklers on a team that feels like its been plagued by poor tackling for the last several years? YES.

Since we'll be in cap hell in 2022, I'd much rather keep Amos and let someone like Preston Smith or even Z'Darius Smith go unless they step up their play in 2021.

June 25, 2021 at 08:26 am

You beat me to the history part of this discussion, and how the Packers languished for so long with liabilities at the position. You've got to be strong up the middle on defense, and the S position was really weak for a long time. Morgan Burnett was only an average S, and when he was paired with HHCD, the change on the back end by having two average S's playing looked significant in comparison.

The Z nerve is a tough one to touch here. His 2022 contract hit is enormous: $28M...so big that a cut there nets the Packers significant cap savings despite a $12M dead cap charge. Something will need to give there, and it likely will be an extension.

I'm concerned with this trend in voidable years on contracts. The cap is a zero sum game, and all those bonuses that get pushed off into the margin still neeed to be accounted for. It's my hope that this is mostly just being exploited a covid cap strategy, and as the cap rises again, they will fall out of favor.

Rossonero's picture

June 25, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Great minds think alike! It was so painful to watch the defense struggle for consistency on the back end for years in the secondary.

I am nervous about the voidable years. That's what the Saints did to kick the can down the road in order to keep the team together while Drew Brees was still there. Now we see the consequences of that as they are in a mini re-build mode and won't be the same.

flackcatcher's picture

June 25, 2021 at 02:49 pm

I think this all plays out with Rodgers gone or restructure. (I lean to gone with how his contract is set) At that point the Packers will have the Cap space to retool, not rebuild. But it's going to be to close, no matter what path the organization chooses. The question is will those young players on the offensive side grow enough to convince the front office to let their veterans go. That where most of the depth is currently on this team. That's one tricky path Gutekunst has embarked on.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

June 25, 2021 at 08:08 am

Sign him.

I want to continue to enjoy his tweets.

June 25, 2021 at 08:18 am

Amos is another guy with a larger 2022 cap hit. An extension would make sense in that he's still in his prime, there's no true heir apparent at the position on the roster, and they could spread some of that hit out over the duration of the next deal.

June 25, 2021 at 09:46 am

Too soon. Amos has done a good job. But it's just to soon.

Duneslick's picture

June 25, 2021 at 12:16 pm

All about money and the salary cap. Who do you cut or not sign in order to sign Amos now or cant afford in the future

Minniman's picture

June 25, 2021 at 02:52 pm

I think that the Packers would certainly like to extend Amos, but I think that his asking price and the play of Darnell Savage (and to a lesser extent Eric Stokes) and the ILB’s is going to influence this.

If Savage, Stokes (presuming he starts as the Nickel corner) and the ILB’s play quality increases then Amos’ bargaining leverage decreases - and the Packers could take a moneyball approach to the SS position, knowing that there’s coverage there.

Also, If Rodgers returns then savings are going to need to be found somewhere. If he doesn’t, and Love shows promise, then barring a ridiculous asking price from Amos, the Packers may prioritize having a really strong defense.