The Lass Word: Blaming Coaches Is Valid

The buck stops at the office door.

I have never coached a football team at any level, much less a team at the elite level of the National Football League.  I am not present at Green Bay Packers practices every day, observing the players and how they go about their business.  I am not there in the locker room to get a feel for the chemistry and relationship between coaches and players.  I have never pored over game film of an upcoming opponent to put together a game plan.

I can’t tell whether the coach called a bad play, or whether he called a good play that the players just messed up.  I defer to the expertise of some of my CHTV colleagues, and to some of you readers, when it comes to diving deep into the weeds of technical analysis of why plays work or don’t work.

For these reasons, I am always hesitant to put blame on coaches when things aren’t going well.  However, I do like to think I am an astute observer of the team, that I do have a fairly good working knowledge of the game.  I also have the benefit of having watched this franchise play football for more than six decades.  That includes four years of covering the Packers daily as a Green Bay TV sports anchor.  That’s a pretty good sample size for purposes of comparison.

I say all this to try to make the point that I am not a knee-jerk coach basher.  I’m not the type to call for everybody to be fired every time Green Bay suffers an embarrassing loss.  I don’t pile on to blend in with the emotion of the moment.

Having said that, after watching the first six games of this new iteration of the Packers, I don’t believe you have to be a former player or coach to come to an accurate conclusion about this coaching staff.  They are not doing a good job.  Watch other teams around the league, how they are coached, how they adjust, how they play with fire and intensity, how they don’t make silly mistakes, how they play their best football in the clutch, yet many of these teams have less talent than Green Bay.

The youth of the Packers is real.  Injuries are real.  No one expected this team to go to the Super Bowl.  Mistakes are part of the growing process, as is losing close games.  It’s not the losing that calls the coaching into question.  It’s the overall regression.  It’s the way the team is generally performing overall.  Ever since an encouraging win over the Bears on opening day, the Packers have been getting worse.  Remember, the only reason Green Bay beat the Saints was because New Orleans’ rookie kicker missed a routine field goal at the end of the game.

I see things that I can’t find any other way to rationalize except to lay them at the doorstep of the coaches.  For example, in the third quarter against the Raiders, the Packers find success running AJ Dillon between the tackles over and over again.  All the way into the end zone.  The next time we get the ball inside the ten yard line, we run Dillon into the middle again, twice.  But the Raiders have adjusted and put a stop to it.  That was essentially the end of Green Bay’s offense for the night.  No other answers.  Nothing else that works.  This wasn’t the ‘85 Bears defense we were playing.  It was one of the worst units in the league.

To be sure, there was plenty of player error after that.  Christian Watson short arms a pretty well thrown deep ball.  Ben Sims blows a block allowing a Maxx Crosby sack.  Jordan Love throws two terrible interceptions.  Romeo Doubs and Luke Musgrave both drop passes on the final drive.  Can’t blame the coaches for things like that, right?  Yet we are seeing this same lack of poise and execution week after week.  Love is a first round draft pick.  Watson and Musgrave are second rounders.  Doubs is in his second year in the system.  You’ve heard ad nauseam about eight first round selections on the Green Bay defense.  We have to assume these are talented athletes, right? The ability should be there, yes?  Shouldn’t we expect this coaching staff to be able to coach these guys up at least to the point of being able to compete against the bottom feeders of the league?

Yet we see common instances such as the now somewhat infamous play where Preston Smith finds himself in single coverage against Davante Adams.  To his credit, defensive coordinator Joe Barry took ownership of the gaffe.  He told the media this week that the defense needs to have a check to get out of such a mismatch.  He said it was on him.  I salute his sense of accountability.  But he also said the defensive staff never anticipated such a situation would arise, based on the formation patterns of the Raiders and his own team.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting his comment, but that seems to be an admission that, at least on this play, he was outcoached.  The unit was unprepared to make the necessary adjustment.  Well, every coach gets outsmarted on a play once in a while.  But if you watch the Packers faithfully, which I know you do, it’s hard to ignore the number of times Green Bay seems unprepared or unable to adjust to what the opposition is doing.  That’s coaching. Or lack of it.

Okay, enough negativity.  You don’t come to CHTV to read a bunch of articles that make you depressed.  There are eleven regular season games left to be played.  That’s plenty of time to correct mistakes and show improvement.  I am not calling for Matt LaFleur to be fired.  He had this team within arm’s reach of the Super Bowl his first three years on the job.  That buys him some patience for the rest of this year, and perhaps even next season.  Besides, Mark Murphy is nearing retirement and it is clear he has no stomach to look for another head coach before he leaves town.  So LaFleur is going to be here for the foreseeable future.

On Sunday the Packers play the Denver Broncos, another one of the worst teams in the league.  Maybe the coaches will have the Packers foaming at the mouth coming out of the bye.  Maybe they’ll be healthy and confident, armed with a solid game plan and finally ready to execute it flawlessly.  Maybe this will be the “get right” game the team needs.  The kind of performance that will embolden all of us to give this coaching staff a resounding vote of support.

Would you bet your next paycheck on it?

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

Ken Lass is a former Green Bay television sports anchor and 43 year media veteran, a lifelong Packers fan, and a shareholder.

__________________________

crayzpackfan's picture

October 19, 2023 at 03:07 pm

Is Blaming the coaches valid?
Now I'll go back and read the article. ;)

TarynsEyes's picture

October 19, 2023 at 03:36 pm

"Would you bet your next paycheck on it?"

As one who does bet, it would be negligent of me to not talk others out of betting this game.

Stay away. Neither team, at this juncture, is worthy of risking your money.

Never let your Heart dictate the wallet/purse.

There is no solid evidence to bet either side.

Have a cocktail and just watch the tragedy unfold for one or both.

lou's picture

October 19, 2023 at 06:09 pm

Heartfelt analysis and advise, that last line just cracked me up.

PackerHotDish's picture

October 20, 2023 at 10:11 am

Remember, a fool and his money are soon parted. Thanks for the advice!

beerandbrats's picture

October 19, 2023 at 03:49 pm

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that great coaches are as hard to come by as great QBs. Mike Holmgren was a great coach! Ray Rhodes was not. Great coaches (and coaching staffs) are difference makers! The question is, who's available AND capable of making a difference?

Think about all 32 head coaches out there. How many would you consider to be great coaches (Superbowl winning potential)? I don't see more than 4-5, and unfortunately, MLF is not one of them.

I've tried to keep an open mind about MLF. I think MLF and AR12 made a great team because we were very successful for a couple of years. But now that the band has broken up, we're not looking so great anymore. I believe MLF was the right hire at the right time but now that time is past.

The problem is, who can lead us back to the promised land?

Ima Payne's picture

October 19, 2023 at 08:30 pm

Great coaches always seemed to have great players to. Belly check was great with Brady and a dam good defense, receivers and multiple running backs. Now that he lacks that he is awful.

packerbackerjim's picture

October 20, 2023 at 10:53 am

If Kraft decides to dump BB mid-season…..

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

October 20, 2023 at 02:07 pm

Yeah as much as commenters on here blamed AR for NOT running the MLF true offense, maybe Rodgers was better at knowing what he and the team could actually do. Maybe Rodgers covered up a lot of LaFleur's flaws, as Rodgers covered for a pretty weak roster many years.

jjbathgate66's picture

October 21, 2023 at 08:19 am

Easy to blame the coaches no question, not a big Joe Barry fan by any means. Team is very young in most positions. They will do well to finish 9-8 or similar, Barry will be dumped by MLF they have the defensive players but schemes not there and really no adjustments are ever made. They need to play as a group. Walker, Clark, Douglas, Wyatt all great players, JA can be great but needs to stop talking about how great he is and put his nose in there. Ford is taking advantage his time tough kid. Savage never lived up to hype. Safety needs a
guy that's a great tackelr and ball skills, Savage is neither. Injuries are terrible at this point, never see the real squad out there because some injury, whose fault? Very average at this point I try not to get too high or too low, at 65 my time 58 years a packer fan from NE can only hope things will be better. Two SB's since 68' not enough especially when the Pats become a dynasty in my backyard

October 19, 2023 at 04:20 pm

No - Blaming the coach isn't valid.
The coach and his Qb are intertwined.
A bad coach can mess up a good quarterback.
A bad quarterback can easily get a good coach fired.
It's time to face those truths.
The Chemistry was with Rodgers!
And Love has been playing for crap.
Making this truth very obvious.

I brought up insubordination when love threw those picks.
Somebody isn't following MLF plays.
Whether the rumors of Rodgers changing plays.
Got Jordan Love doing it.
Or there needs to be a Love attitude readjustment.
This must be worked out by MLF and Love.
If not: I hope MLF shows he's the coach, and benches his butt.

13titles's picture

October 19, 2023 at 07:28 pm

Agree… sometimes…..
But….
The head coach is not only accountable for offence. This defence has stunk situationally for years and as for special teams until recently. Also the toughness and fortitude of the team stems from the head coach. Bill walsh was finesse but tough for example.
MLF also has been responsible for repeating mistakes both with personnel on and off the field

October 19, 2023 at 08:16 pm

Bill Walsh was a pass first coach.
He had that chemistry with Montana.
And later with Young..
His west Coast offense is still used today.
While I agree MLF has to held accountable.
The Mistakes with personal
have more to do with his coaches.
And with the GM who selected them.
MLF was an offensive minded coach.
But the collapse has more to do than play calling.
You still need a great QB to execute.
Montana and Young didn't have accuracy problems.

jannes bjornson's picture

October 20, 2023 at 08:21 am

This is wholly Gutedkunst's squad. Bhak and A. Jones are the only remnants of Ted's roster. An injured All-Pro and a scat back ProBowl player who took a beating the past couple of years. Love is their guy, but don't put a rose on his coffin just yet. If he tosses more than Favre's 24 Picks, then I will be concerned. Take a good look at the Personnel choices and try to build a team with them??

TXCHEESE's picture

October 20, 2023 at 10:07 am

This is a joke right? Love has played a total of five games this season, with nothing but 1st and 2nd year players for receivers and 2 rookie tight ends. Missing the number 1 running back for all but 1 game practically, and working with a banged up OL. Has he missed some throws? Yes, all QB's do. I'm pretty confident your man crush wouldn't have fared any better...hell he didn't get out of the 1st series of the 1st game.
How can anyone legitimately state Love is changing plays without MLF's permission. All NFL QB's have options and audibles built in to many of their plays...it's the way big boy football is played.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

October 20, 2023 at 03:00 pm

hahahahaha insubordination

when you miss even seeing a defender and throw it right to them, its rookie (first year starter) mistakes, not insubordination

when you fail to throw it long enough and Watson fails to fight for the ball, it's not insubordination

the somebody not following the plays is the offensive line not blocking and the young WRs not running good routes, same with TEs

jlc1's picture

October 20, 2023 at 06:11 pm

I think this analysis ignores something that others of us take into account when an offense runs a play. There is a defense on the field and sometimes they can alter the play. Alternatively, insubordination alters the play.

TxFred's picture

October 19, 2023 at 04:49 pm

This passive, non-aggressive no run blocking performance continues wonder when the locker room starts speak out. Consistently poor blocking pass & run lacking basic & fundamental techniques . All these young, talented & coachable players performing like this and showing absolutely no weekly improvement will wear on the mind. Pro or not. The program is not working right. Talented players not getting the NFL level coaching they expect and deserve! GPG.

Vachio's picture

October 19, 2023 at 04:55 pm

I most certainly would not bet my next paycheck on that! lol!

That's been my criticism of the team since MLF took over. We've been terrible at making adjustments of any kind ever since he took over as HC on both sides of the football. When given extra time to prepare for a team, that usually leads to a bigger egg being laid. The team comes out flat and seemingly ill-prepared any time there's a bye or even a mini-bye.

The team also seems to lack toughness. Robert Selah's comments after the Jets game last year summed it up well. Other teams believe if they punch the Packers in the mouth, the Packers are going to fold. Looking at the recent history, it's impossible to argue with that contention. That also falls on the coaching. Coaches set the tone on that front. Veteran leadership can help, but it starts with the coaches.

Then we have the consistent mistakes being made. Young players will make mistakes, but there should be progress. We should be seeing fewer mistakes or at least different mistakes. As a coach, you teach the player how to correct the mistake and you expect them to correct it. If they don't correct it, you put in another player and you repeat that until you find someone who is going to correct the mistake. And yet, we're seeing the same players making the same mistakes repeatedly. That's on the coaches.

CanPackFan's picture

October 19, 2023 at 05:17 pm

For those of us that have coached football before, I always believed in 2 things: 1) putting my players in a position to be successful, and (2) teaching that leads to learning. Both are important to winning.

Putting up schemes where my players true talents weren't maximized was just a plain waste of time for everyone involved.

Teaching can never be under emphasized as it leads to learning. Learning at every age in life is essential. Even for pros. If this coaching staff can't teach professionals new things, then are worthless as coaches. This is my main argument with our coaching staff besides Rich B. Rich B has helped Anders become more consistent. Can MLF or Steno teach Love to be more consistent? Can Barry or his staff teach better line play to stop the run? Of course, not sure any amount of teaching can make a 265 lb linebacker effectively cover a HOF receiver for Mr Barry? But that's another story...

As much as I would love to see better on-field schemes and in-game adjustments from this staff, I greatly question whether they can teach players to be better?

Qoojo's picture

October 19, 2023 at 05:20 pm

I think the apparent lack of adjustments is the most frustrating thing, like the repeated no help for blocking Crosby. It was clear that the OL couldn't handle blocking him 1-1, yet no TE/RB chip block help. Calling long developing plays when Love is getting a lot of "lookout!" blocks. Trying to run the ball with 9 defenders in the box, and you know at least on OL guys is going to be pushed into backfield. I don't think MLF has good timing with the WR screen pass. Running Dillon wide. Etc...

LeotisHarris's picture

October 19, 2023 at 07:46 pm

"... It was clear that the OL couldn't handle blocking him 1-1, yet no TE/RB chip block help.."

Start at 5:40 for a RB clusterf*ck

Forward to 28:30 for how the Raiders nullified the attempts to chip Crosby with 88.

Watch the entire segment. Good stuff.

Outcoached, and a comedy of errors with the play caller. Yes, the coaches are to blame for that and accountable the sloppy execution.

Qoojo's picture

October 21, 2023 at 11:31 am

That was very illuminating on why WRs had to earn AR's trust. It's a comedy of errors on offense.

I thought some of the long passes were simply in the wrong location too, and the video confirmed it. The WR was open but simply not thrown and led to correct location like if he would have thrown to the hash marks instead of goal post.

Seems like many of Love's errors are correctable, but MLF still has Love or offense on rails because too many receivers run the wrong routes resulting in clusterf-.

Also, that video really highlights on why rookie TEs rarely make much of an impact. Blown routes and blocking.

Tundraboy's picture

October 19, 2023 at 10:38 pm

Absolutely. It's like we have an additional battle to win when we inevitably fall behind.

We have to fight back against our own passivity before we can actually get back doing the things we have to to get back into the game.

I'm a diehard and will stick with it until there's absolutely no hope, but it sure is exhausting watching this team fight itself.

I suppose I'll have to take Taryn's advice and have a cocktail and sit back and watch it unfold. Who knows maybe this week will be different.

Starrbrite's picture

October 19, 2023 at 06:26 pm

It absolutely and unequivocally valid to blame coach(es). Most of us have been scratching our heads for a couple of years—asking legitimate questions of the leadership.
I’ve heard Jim Harbaugh is leaving Michigan; I’ve always liked him and and would hire him in a NY second.
As for the Packers-Broncos game:
I hate the broncos like many of you hate the bears and or Vikings.
This game is a SB for me, but I have a sinking feeling our coaches will not be up to the task of beating one of the worst teams in football.
Go Packers!!!

LeotisHarris's picture

October 19, 2023 at 07:34 pm

"I’ve heard Jim Harbaugh is leaving Michigan; I’ve always liked him..."

Ohhhh, so you're the one person who likes Jim!

I'm with you on the Broncos. A chance to beat the Walton family and Sean Payton. It could only be better if Elway was still with the team.

Starrbrite's picture

October 19, 2023 at 08:26 pm

“The one person that likes Jim”—-cracked me up.

Bitternotsour's picture

October 20, 2023 at 09:37 am

You're backing the wrong Harbaugh. John's the one worth hiring.

beerandbrats's picture

October 19, 2023 at 08:05 pm

I was somewhat concerned that the Vikings were going to hire him because he is a good coach! He was successful at Stanford, SF and now at Michigan.

I don't particularly care for Harbaugh but I would hire him in a heartbeat. He is a proven winner and he is on a mission to win a Superbowl. He seems to be old school. I like that. I also think he brings intensity and a much more physical style of play. What's not to like about that?

He seems to be a bit of an odd bird but I'm okay with that as long as he can lead us back to the promised land!

Starrbrite's picture

October 19, 2023 at 08:25 pm

Agree—Harbaugh is sometimes a little goofy. I don’t care about that, like I didn’t care if ARod was goofy. Just give me a winner.

Tundraboy's picture

October 19, 2023 at 10:43 pm

Can he flap his arms? If not I'm in.

13titles's picture

October 19, 2023 at 07:03 pm

When when Matt the Flower started I was somewhat optimistic however seeing the farce in Sam Francisco when the 49ers ran and ran without packers adjusting my eyes were opened. The failure to fire substandard coaches eg Drayton and lack of use of the running backs coupled with poor offensive line use show what the little flower is like as a coach. Like a child he admits things are on him but doesn’t change. This guy is not tough enough for Super Bowl wins.

HawkPacker's picture

October 19, 2023 at 07:09 pm

I only have a couple of things to add Ken.

'I also have the benefit of having watched this franchise play football for more than six decades. ' After looking at your picture and this statement, I am wondering if you need to get your picture updated. Pretty young looking for a guy watching the Packers for more than 6 decades.

The only other thing for me to add is that I think this is a great article. Lots of points without real finger pointing in an accusatory manner. Nice article Ken. Thanks.

ricky's picture

October 19, 2023 at 07:31 pm

Thanks for hopping on the bandwagon. It's been building for a while. What is the big difference between this year and years past? Having Rodgers, a veteran QB who could look at the defense, see what adjustments needed to be made, and then make those adjustments. The downfall was when the chips were down, Rodgers' focus was narrowed to Adams. Period. Everyone knew this, but whether through being stubborn or just egotistical, Rodgers would keep doing this. This is why LaFleur decided to kick a FG in the championship game against Tampa, rather than having Rodgers throw another incomplete pass to a heavily covered Adams. When the team played SF in the playoffs, their first drive was masterful, and a TD was scored with seeming ease. Then SF made defensive adjustments, and the offense scored just three points the rest of the game. There was no response, no counter adjustments; just keep doing the same thing, and hope for different results. Now, it seems that given a first time starter, getting the ball out of his hands quickly; designing some short throws to boost his confidence early, and establishing a running game would be obvious. Instead, the OL still doesn't have its best (healthy) players on the field. Dillon seems to have regressed, and Love is starting to show some signs of feeling too much pressure to take this team on his shoulders. And what are LaFleur and Stenavich doing? Not nearly enough. No, LaFleur doesn't deserve another year, just like Barry didn't deserve to be kept around. And thank goodness Murphy is getting ready to step down. Time to bring in someone who is willing to bring in the people who can turn this around, rather than looking at the profits being generated and feeling content.

Tundraboy's picture

October 19, 2023 at 10:45 pm

What the hell is there to dislike here. The Truth?. Great post.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

October 20, 2023 at 03:18 pm

Have you noticed that 3 of the first 4 draft picks this year were to guys catching passes? Who exactly did Rodgers have to rely on except Adams? There has not been good WR/TE beyond Adams for awhile. Lazard does some nice work here and there; Cobb will get you a third down 2-3 times in a game, but the cupboard was bare. That's why they added 2 TEs and 6 WRs in the last two drafts. And drafted them higher than they have been. Rodgers had MVS for a few deep throws when he was healthy and didn't drop them; UDFA Tonyan had 1 decent year. But I can't say I put all the blame on Rodgers. I can see why he'd want to find Adams.

Ima Payne's picture

October 19, 2023 at 08:15 pm

LeFleur kept running Dillon late not because it worked before but because he thee coach, lost all faith in Love who tossed three picks so he took the ball out of his hands. So do you blame the coach who throws up his hands and says that's it, were running or screen passes only.
My coaching issue is I do not like the run run pass scheme. Ya keeps your d off the field but when run teams get behind they can't just turn the faucet on to pass pass pass to catch up. Also your QB will never develop handing the ball off all the time..

jhtobias's picture

October 19, 2023 at 08:22 pm

Not delusional like most but this team is not really that talented maybe that changes in a couple years but they have been way overhyped talent wise with so many 1st and 2nd year players on this team .

The coaching on this team is terrible when it comes to adjusting that goes for both the defense and the offense , they seem to lack toughness and have for a while .

Here is the worst part of the whole thing not one coach on this team was held accountable for the team last yr or the team this yr .

Not sure why the fanbase is expecting much more than what your seeing so far this season .

albert999's picture

October 19, 2023 at 09:50 pm

What is not said here and Nagler hasn’t brought it up is that Jlove has such a bad taste in his mouth after Las Vegas he’s gonna try way to hard to redeem himself and could easily have a worse game

albert999's picture

October 19, 2023 at 09:51 pm

Hide and watch

PhantomII's picture

October 19, 2023 at 10:42 pm

In order to have a good/ great coach....YOU HAVE TO PAY HIM...That has proved to be quite elusive in Packer land. Same goes for Defense and ST. You can promote from within IF said coach is trained up by a good coach...That should not happen under ML. Gute is either gonna have to load up the team with Vets or get a really good Coach who can get the right OC/DC. ML did okay when we were loaded with Veteran players who were not as needy as the Rooks are. I still say Beefing up the Ol with Big fellas who can move a DL would do wonders for us. That is the only reasonable fix for now and the only one that will save face for everyone involved. Start digging' Gute...Get us a decent OL on the field that can get the ball moving foreward.

SicSemperTyrannis's picture

October 20, 2023 at 12:46 am

Look at the big guys already cut. Look at My Caleb, who has yet to play his first down in the NFL. On defense, they haven't put Jonathan Ford in, either.

PhantomII's picture

October 20, 2023 at 06:07 am

The stretch run game is NOT a playoff run game. ML's preference is like most things with him...Poorly thought out and poorly executed. ML does not SCRIPT the first 15 plays into a game plan on Offense like every other Offense I know of. Time for Gute to get heavy handed with ML...These are Rookies, not Sage Vets....

jannes bjornson's picture

October 20, 2023 at 08:46 am

If they were better, they would be on the field. Pre-season highlights do not make a pro player. This collection of high picks, whiffs and non-performers is on Gutedkunst.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

October 20, 2023 at 02:04 pm

How do you explain the flashes of good to great play by so many on both sides of the ball, only to see them fail in consistency? To me that indicates poor coaching/prep/motivation, since we have seen flashes of talent. Even with Josh Myers . . he was better as a rookie than he is now. And the rest of the offensive line isn't playing well; I will agree the lack of depth there is on Gutey, but he just spent 3 of the 4 first picks this season on guys to catch passes, b/c that cupboard was bare.

They can't do much about roster building other than draft guys b/c they can't afford any FE with talent with their cap issues.

jannes bjornson's picture

October 20, 2023 at 04:48 pm

This leads to the question: "why was the cupboard bare?"

LeotisHarris's picture

October 20, 2023 at 07:43 pm

And the follow-up question: "who will grind the wheat?"

Tundraboy's picture

October 20, 2023 at 01:23 pm

And yet another why not area of concern. . It's always why didn't we play....Every year.

T7Steve's picture

October 20, 2023 at 07:59 am

Same sh... different day.

Let's do the same thing over and over again and this time we'll get the right results.

No one else in the NFL watches our games so they can't figure out our illusion of complexity. Kind of confusing to our players too.

jannes bjornson's picture

October 20, 2023 at 08:47 am

They sure as hell do not use, or have mastered a playbook with 600 designed schemes.

HarryHodag's picture

October 20, 2023 at 08:33 am

One of the problems following a football team is there are just 18 games and a lot of empty time to speculate.

Has anyone considered the Packers are playing with many, many inexperienced players and several of the key veterans have been hurt? In some ways the 2023 Packers are the JV squad going against the varsity. There's a number of reasons for this which have been discussed ad nauseam.

Take Bill Belichick. Has he become a dunce after winning so much? I doubt it. He simply doesn't have the players this season like before. The Packers are trying to move forward with young(affordable) players in the hopes of a brighter future.

I think Matt LF has to shoulder some of the blame so far, but by far the problem is the nonsense to retain Aaron Rodgers costing the team and some bad decisions on draft day.

But if the team is still floundering next season at this time, change is likely.

Guam's picture

October 20, 2023 at 09:00 am

I agree with much of your statement HH, particularly regarding the youth, inexperience and injuries that are impacting the Packers' performance this year. However I believe that LaFleur is a poor head coach and is the larger problem. Many of LaFleur's problems predate this year and are just highlighted more now because of the other issues. LaFleur is still accountable for poor coaching hires (Mennenga, Drayton, Barry, Butkus); continued inability to make in-game adjustments; poor game plans in many games and odd player personnel decisions on the O-line. I believe a change is due at the end of this season, not next season.

T7Steve's picture

October 20, 2023 at 09:38 am

Not only the youngsters (we expected those mistakes), but the O-line isn't made up of rookies. They've all had at least 2 camps and no excuses for poor execution that the coaches should have seen while they were practicing and playing in pre-season.

They need to upgrade, yet all they've done is pick up a new RB to run into that immovable wall?

Bear's picture

October 20, 2023 at 11:02 am

I would like the Packers to hire a real offensive coordinator. Stenavich was a good offensive line coach but he isn’t a coordinator. I realize MLF wants to handle the offense but he obviously isn’t doing a great job at it!

Packer_Fan's picture

October 20, 2023 at 12:18 pm

Ken, you have hit the nail on the head.

Lafluer has the overall responsibility. And I think it is with who he as hired as OC and DC. His ability to correct mistakes quickly and make adjustments fast enough in games.

Stenavich is not the guy the previous one was. The offense has gone south since Hackett left, the last two years.

Barry is terrible. The gaffe with the Adams defense is symptomatic. The Raiders figured it out during the game and used when it was important. Those long drives with short 3rd down distances and 4th down conversions are killers. It was that way last year and continues this year. Teams figure out what was happening and take advantage of it late in games.

The Raiders were getting beat with the inside running game and the next series there were adjustments. That quick. The Packers don't adjust fast enough.

Sure, the young players are making mistakes and Love is getting jittery. But the coaches have to get the coach well to overcome their issues.

Not only are the players growing, but so are the coaches. It will be tough the rest of the year.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

October 20, 2023 at 01:43 pm

Did I miss a game somewhere? Isn't GB currently 2-3, having played 5 (not 6) games and having 12 (not 11) left to play?

Ferrari-Driver's picture

October 21, 2023 at 11:32 am

Like you, Ken, I don't have the coaching experience, but like most everyone on this website, I liked to play the game and I'm an avid Packer fan.

One thing that I've noticed so far, Matt LaFleur doesn't look like he is developing much of a coaching tree, like Mike Holmgren or Kyle Shanahan. We've only had a couple of his coaches who have ventured off to promotions and only one to a head coaching position and none has been successful. If, Matt LaFleur is a talented head coach, I still have question his selection of assistant coaches, especially the early special teams coaches who seem to have cost us games with their special teams errors.

White92's picture

October 21, 2023 at 08:50 pm

I am not a MLF fan by any stretch of the imagination. However, the GM has put him in a horrible spot. They should both go IMHO