Railbird Central Podcast: Randall Cobb and Franchise Tag Talk

After a discussion of Cobb and the franchise tag, we also air an interview with draft prospect Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest.

Episode 497

The show starts by going over the breaking news that Packers cornerback Jarrett Bush has been arrested for disorderly conduct and then transitions into a discussion of Monday's franchise tag deadline and the possibility that the Packers could use it on wide receiver Randall Cobb. We also air an interview with NFL Draft prospect Kevin Johnson, a cornerback from Wake Forest, whose pro day workout is on Monday.

Enjoy...

Listen in...

Streaming audio - Press play

Download Versions: Download Audio Podcast

Free Subscription Option

Allan Murphy's picture

March 02, 2015 at 11:32 am

11;31 before i got the show wth is going on ?

Brian Carriveau's picture

March 02, 2015 at 11:59 am

I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're having technical problems, you may want to refresh your browser. I just listened to the 11:31 mark and everything sounded fine on my end.

4thand1's picture

March 02, 2015 at 02:45 pm

15 minutes to tag Cobb. Don't look like its happening.

Packer_Pete's picture

March 03, 2015 at 03:57 am

Cobb's going to be gone. According to Silverstein and his NFL source at the combine, he is not seeking $9 million per year, as was "widely known" and posted by several posters here, but $12 million. Too high for a slot receiver, but Oakland or someone else desperate will pay it. That leaves enough money for Bulaga, and maybe Julius Thomas or a capable WR, even though I'd prefer Thomas at TE. Or sign a certain FA NT from the Arizona Cardinals.

And to be clear, I don't blame Cobb. As I've posted before, I don't really belief in taking a smaller contract now to possibly get paid more in 3 - 4 years. That's an eternity in the NFL, and nobody knows whether one will be able to play due to injuries etc. No, get paid now, and be able to play without fearing anything, as the money will last no matter what. I do think that he will get rich but have to play for a team like the Raiders or Jaguars. That's fine, as long as it is not in the NFC North. I trust in Ted to find a capable replacement at WR.

NickPerry's picture

March 03, 2015 at 06:29 am

With Bryant and Thomas both being tagged Cobb just jumped up to the top WR in this FA period. I really doubt he'd go to Jacksonville but he might go to Oakland if Reggie can sell him this isn't the same ole Raiders. This was exactly what I was afraid might happen, Thomas and Bryant off the market shoots Cobb's price through the roof and desperate teams might be willing to pay him #1 WR money and like Packer Pete said, you can't blame him. Hopefully Cobb looks at this the another way, we were one of 10 plays away (Take your pick) from playing in the SB, next season I bet we make one of those 10 plays and ARE in the SB.

HankScorpio's picture

March 04, 2015 at 08:58 am

Cobb jumping to the top of the WR market does not come with any change in his ability or value. His absolute value is unchanged, just his relative value. Teams that look to the latter and ignore the former often "win the offseason", which usually ends up with a restless fanbase disappointed at under-performing when it means something.

For FA WRs, the market has been more about absolute value and not so much about relative value recently. Which way that goes with Cobb will determine if he's a Packer or not next year. If Cobb does get his $12 mil, I hope it is elsewhere. But if he gets the $9 mil that has been bandied about, I hope it is from the Packers.

And really, the per year average is not always as important as guaranteed money. Especially on longer term deals.

Evan's picture

March 03, 2015 at 08:54 am

Cobb will be a Packer next season.

Packer_Pete's picture

March 03, 2015 at 06:42 pm

I can only speak for myself - I am not in doom and gloom mode. Just trying to be realistic. And I think Cobb wants more than Ted would be willing to pay. $12 million is a bit much. But the young man will take what he is getting, and he would be a fool to not take all the money he can get. Jennings may or may not be released, but he already made $17.8 million. If he won't be released then it is another $8.5 million this coming season. He already has his ring, so in my opinion he came to the right decision for himself and his family. And as we have seen, the Packers are just as good without him as with him. Ted had to replace Jennings, DD, and JJ. Did without issues. He will find someone to replace Cobb as well if needed, no doubt about that.
If it comes down to Bulaga or Cobb, rather keep the OL intact to protect #12 than having a slot receiver who is a very good player, but if #12 has no time to throw the ball then it won't matter who plays WR.
It's just my opinion that Cobb will be gone. I may be wrong. Or I may be right.

4thand1's picture

March 03, 2015 at 09:55 pm

Also if he signs with the Raiders, the California state tax will take a big chuck of change.

NickPerry's picture

March 04, 2015 at 06:00 am

Tell me about it, I live in California.

NickPerry's picture

March 04, 2015 at 06:01 am

"Wide Receivers don't suffer many career ending injuries"? Tell that to Robert Brooks, he's the first example that came to mind. When Matt Elam hit him, Cobb thought it was his knee, had the hit been a inch or two higher chances are it would have been his knee. You just never know in the NFL when that hit might come. Players are hitting lower and lower all the time because it they hit them anywhere high, they're getting fined Tuesday Morning.

I hope you're right, Cobb thinks about WHO'S throwing him the ball, but the fact's are most of these guys go where they get offered the MOST money 8 out of 10 times.

Obviously the contact Green Bay offers or anyone else offers will set him up for life. I keep thinking Cobb looks at all the factors you bring up. Will I be on a winning team? Who's throwing me the ball? Could I win a SB in the next year or two? No Packers fan hopes Cobb signs a 4 or 5 year deal with Green Bay anymore than me. We'll all know in about a week.

NickPerry's picture

March 04, 2015 at 08:27 pm

Well actually yes it was. Because of the knee he had to change the mechanics of the way he ran. So in the end I guess it was career ending wasn't it?

NickPerry's picture

March 04, 2015 at 05:37 am

This comes from Packer Report on Scout.com (Subscription Required). There's reports all over the Net that suggest Cobb is going to be offered the enormous contracts. It all depends on which "League Source" you believe.

Will Green Bay Packers receiver Randall Cobb get $12 million per season in free agency?
Maybe. Maybe not. But Packer Report has learned that at least one team is prepared to offer him $11 million per season.
According to a league source, the Oakland Raiders — led by former Packers director of player personnel Reggie McKenzie — are considering offering Cobb a blockbuster deal.
The news comes on the heels of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s report that Cobb is seeking $12 million per season.

It does make sense if Bryant and Thomas are off the board, Cobbs offers will go up. The NFL is a business and it's no different than any other, it's called "Supply and Demand".

Tampa Bays former GM Mark Dominik has been all over TV and the Radio suggesting Cobb will be offered a contract over $10 million. Perhaps that's why he's a former GM! I've heard all the other reports that say the same thing you suggest. It's Free Agency, what's true, what's not? You have to wade through the BS.

RCPackerFan's picture

March 03, 2015 at 10:24 am

I don't remember exactly, but wasn't it similar situation last year with Shields?
I know they signed him on the 11th hour before free agency started.

Evan's picture

March 03, 2015 at 10:38 am

Exactly.

Evan's picture

March 03, 2015 at 10:39 am

Unrelated - I wonder what kind of deal Jordan Cameron will get. Huge injury risk, but he could be a 1,200 yard guy in GB.

RCPackerFan's picture

March 03, 2015 at 11:41 am

I am not sure what Cameron will get. My guess is out of Packers price range, but he would be a hell of a weapon to have in Packers offense.

The guy I really was hoping they would go after was Charles Clay. I thought his versatility and ability would have been a great fit in Green Bay.

I highly doubt they will go after him now that he has a transition tag on him.

NickPerry's picture

March 04, 2015 at 06:06 am

How about Lance Kendricks? A Wisconsin boy coming home.

RCPackerFan's picture

March 04, 2015 at 06:39 am

Yeah, he might be a more realistic option for the Packers. I doubt he will command a big salary which is the way Thompson likes to go. He has good receiving ability, and he could be a good player to pair with Rodgers.

He is definitely a guy to watch out for the Packers going after.

NickPerry's picture

March 04, 2015 at 07:26 am

That's what I was thinking. He's not real big and more of a receiver than a blocker but Rodgers was blocking better at the end of the season so it could work and I'd think would be a very affordable option. Another option could be Virgil Green, he's bigger 6' 5" 255 and ran a 4.54 40 at the combine 4 years ago, not bad. Though with Thomas being a FA Denver might not let him get away.

RCPackerFan's picture

March 05, 2015 at 06:28 am

Yeah, I think Kendricks could be a good H-back type of guy in Green Bay's offense.

I thought about that. Green seems like the type of guy that Thompson would be interested in. He doesn't have to be a starter cuz they have Rodgers, but he could be possibly a good backup/role player in Green Bay's offense. He has good size and measurables.

4thand1's picture

March 04, 2015 at 08:48 pm

Cobb's latest tweet," don't believe everything you read in the media."

HankScorpio's picture

March 05, 2015 at 08:31 am

Especially when it is the NFL media in the days leading up to FA. Agents are working feverishly to inflate the market for their clients. Teams are working feverishly to depress those markets.

The days leading up to the draft are the same thing.