POLL: Your Expectations for the 2021 Green Bay Packers

It's time for our annual fan expectations survey!

It's that time of year once again!

With the 2021 training camp just a couple weeks away, it's time to submit your responses to my annual poll for fan expectations for the team. This is the fourth year I've done this poll, and each year we've had a progressively larger number of responses. I'm hoping this will be our biggest year yet!

The questions stay mostly the same (with a few exceptions) every year, but the responses are always different and provide some good insight into the general mood of the fanbase heading into the new season.

With the Aaron Rodgers saga of the offseason and the uncertainty (well, for some of us) at the quarterback position, this could make this year's responses particularly interesting or illuminating.

The link to take the survey is here:

In a couple weeks, I will return with a full breakdown of responses, and will highlight some of your answers to the last few questions on the list.

If you're interested in reading past years' responses, take a look:

Please participate and spread the word widely! Looking forward to seeing the responses.

__________________________

Tim Backes is a lifelong Packer fan and a contributor to CheeseheadTV. Follow him on Twitter @timbackes for his Packer takes, random musings and Untappd beer check-ins.

jhtobias's picture

July 12, 2021 at 04:31 pm

With Rodgers North Title possible one win in the playoffs

With no Rodgers wildcard at best no playoff win .

jont's picture

July 13, 2021 at 09:17 am

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman told PFT “Aaron Rodgers is maybe the best quarterback who has ever played this game, and I’m never going to talk about anyone else’s players.., but you just always look at different situations."

This was part of this week's pre-season write up on the Vikes on yahoo sports. It continues: "Unlike the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears, the Vikings are in a good position to take advantage of that situation in 2021. If Green Bay has to go from Rodgers to Jordan Love, Minnesota would be the favorite to win the NFC North."

I hate to think of it, but I agree.

Since'61's picture

July 12, 2021 at 04:48 pm

This is difficult to assess without knowing the status of AR or Bak at this time. Also we have no idea which other starters will make it to the start of the season. It would make much more sense to conduct this survey after the final preseason game and final cut downs.

Just my thoughts for next season’s survey and beyond.
Thanks, Since ‘61

jannes bjornson's picture

July 12, 2021 at 07:58 pm

Vegas wants your money, now.

Since'61's picture

July 12, 2021 at 08:42 pm

Actually Vegas wants our money now, tomorrow and everyday thereafter. They have never taken a penny from me. I don’t gamble on anything. Thanks, Since ‘61

jannes bjornson's picture

July 13, 2021 at 04:11 am

$ 5.00 on the Lotttery every other year when the jackpot moves into the stratosphere. No time for grifters is the motto.

greengold's picture

July 13, 2021 at 06:17 am

My gambling is limited to NFL football pools & NCAA bracket pools. No Vegas. No scratch offs. No Fantasy Football. But, I win pools a lot. Picked Baylor.... it’s kind of humorous.

Yeah, jannes, I also jump in on Power/Mega for a fiver when they get up there, if I think to actually stop to buy a ticket! LOL. You stand a better chance of being struck by lightening 110 times than winning either of those.

July 13, 2021 at 06:52 am

That's very true, but overlooks a fundamental truth: now is when content is at its more scarce state.

I am sure you are looking forward to TC and preseason games, as am I. TC will be interesting this year - really it is every year - though each practice provides plenty of content for me to write the roundup.

I am surprised that so many fans think Juwann Winfree, Malik Taylor or Bailey Gaithers will make the team. Indeed, Kruse had both Winfree and Taylor making the 53. [And it is the 53, not the 55 - might as well start now on that.] OL is interesting. The CB and depth in the backfield looks interesting. Fingers crossed that somebody looks improved on the DL and ILB.

greengold's picture

July 13, 2021 at 07:53 am

I like what you’re saying here TGR. Content challenged times, I’m not going to do anything but appreciate the many great offerings by the CHTV contributors, whether I agree or not. They always get good dialogue started, and we’re all really here to gain insights and to talk with other fans about the Pack.

IMO, WR Bailey Gaithers stands the best chance to surprise many and win a roster spot on this 53 because:

1. He’s a pure slot/gadget WR

2. Perfect backup to Amari Rodgers at LaFleur’s scheme essential gadget position

3. Gaithers is a walking chain mover.

4. He’s an experienced PR/KR.

I’m equally hopeful they get DL and ILB fixed/improved. This Packers team will go as far as our interior defenders allow them to. Hopefully they become shut down destroyers this season. No more running on us. No more TEs running free in our middle D. Barry gives me some hope here with our ILBs, and I think LaFleur will demand the DL improves.

Our secondary could very well be #1 in the NFL.

LambeauPlain's picture

July 13, 2021 at 02:51 pm

I actually have Gaither as my favorite Dark Horse, Patrick Taylor #2 as I expect the Packers will keep 4RBs on the 53 and just 5 WRs....Adam, MVS, Lazard, Rodgers, and potentially Gaither over Funchess or ESB.

Like Greg Jennings, Gaither comes from a second tier college but had a ton of receptions and seems to have good route running skills. Not as good as Greg coming into Green Bay, but he shows that ability.

While only 190 lbs, he is 6 ft and has room to add good weight. Let's see what camp shows.

Leatherhead's picture

July 12, 2021 at 05:29 pm

We’ll win the division.

13TimeChamps's picture

July 12, 2021 at 06:13 pm

Look who's back! That didn't last long. Lol

Leatherhead's picture

July 12, 2021 at 06:26 pm

I’ve never had a stalker before.

July 12, 2021 at 05:32 pm

This is Rodger's last year./// I wish it was Gutes. I wish it was Murphys. Why? I don't believe Matt LeFluer will survive after Rodgers. The Packers are going to be nothing more then an average team. All three division foes have gotten better. The holes have been ignored. Filled with a whim and prayer. And Gute wants Rodgers gone as much as he wants to be. The press conferences are going to be sooo suggestive; Gute will give in. And the Fans once again will have broken hearts and a broken team. You just don't win if your Broken in spirit, and depressed. Oh they'll be in the hunt, but I just don't see them making the play-offs.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

July 12, 2021 at 05:59 pm

Wish my crystal ball was translucent and clear!

I do agree about the teams in the NFC North improving.

13TimeChamps's picture

July 12, 2021 at 06:11 pm

If Rodgers wants out, and the GM wants him out, why isn't he.....out?

TarynsEyes's picture

July 12, 2021 at 06:17 pm

Gute wants him out after this year. That's been made clear by their No-Trade statements.

jannes bjornson's picture

July 12, 2021 at 08:03 pm

It would be classy for Murphy the slide out the door and into a retirement community near the cactus, announcing his decision during the "Stockholder's " Meeting.

fastmoving's picture

July 13, 2021 at 04:51 am

He neander, I wish it would be your last post. funny as you are. hope is all good in the flatearth universe.
Its easy to see you know a lot about broken spirit and depression but since 30 years there was nothing like that in GB.
MLF will always be a great coach, he won more in his first couple of months than a weak looooser like Rex Ryan in his whole life.

LambeauPlain's picture

July 13, 2021 at 02:56 pm

I actually wish your last year was last year.

You are as uplifting as a root canal.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

July 13, 2021 at 08:33 pm

Maybe you should sell then?

TarynsEyes's picture

July 12, 2021 at 06:15 pm

The win total is 10.5.

Rodgers as QB - Qver - Rodgers has his work cut out to limit the losses to 5.

Love as QB - UNDER - Love has his work cut out to limit the losses to 8.

There are games that Rodgers can pull off the win, but Love won't, and then the games he should and won't. All the optimism won't change the coming reality this season if Love is the QB. Heck, it might hard for Rodgers also, as I don't expect another season like last year for him, and MLF may need to deal with coming down to Earth somewhat, the law of averages.

Since'61's picture

July 13, 2021 at 08:35 am

Taryn, did you notice if any other NFC team has a higher win total than the Packers? Thanks, Since '61

TarynsEyes's picture

July 13, 2021 at 11:46 am

Of course, they don't. The team expected to win the Division will always have a higher win total than its Division rivals. If Love is the QB that 10.5 will drop and perhaps elevate another to the higher.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

July 16, 2021 at 09:52 am

Most of the NFL 'WAR" type stats have Rodgers as +4.0. That's huge number, but not the type of sky is falling number that support those claiming Rodgers is the only reason the Packers are good.

PhantomII's picture

July 12, 2021 at 07:17 pm

If AR comes back soon and takes a look at a few new guys on offense and defense and is motivated to right all the wrong of last years title game, and we stay relatively healthy, and ML finds a new angle to exploit these fast elite defenses. We win NFCC game this time around and are in the show. If AR no shows or gets hurt, Love wins the North and early exit in playoffs. We have a pretty tough schedule this year but have a better overall team with a lot of depth. We could use a vet CB and vet DT. GPG

packer132's picture

July 12, 2021 at 08:52 pm

Thats a lot of ifs. Rodgers needs to stay healthy, though a tougher challenge is for many other players to improve. Its a league of parity now, and only a few weak teams in the NFL. I think 6 or 7 NFC teams could be in the Super Bowl and it will come down to a few key plays and a few key injuries. It will be a fun year to watch.

PhantomII's picture

July 12, 2021 at 08:37 pm

Every year is pretty iffy. Most of the if is for making it to the SB. We can clearly win the North and go deep in the playoffs. After that we need to check a lot of boxes we have not been able to yet. We are a better team, with more weapons on both side of the ball. I think our running game gets rolling this year with Deguara back and Dillon making a lot more runs. Amari Rodgers is going to be really good. The OL should be stronger in the run game also with depth there also. I also like a couple depth RB's we have.

packer132's picture

July 12, 2021 at 08:59 pm

I agree, as this is the best team in many years. I like the OL even after losing Linsley and Taylor, as Packers drafted six in the last two years. Final cuts will be interesting for CB and OL. I wonder if they will pick up a DL off another team's scrap heap in August.

LambeauPlain's picture

July 13, 2021 at 03:04 pm

If wishes were fishes you could open up a seafood shop!

PhantomII's picture

July 13, 2021 at 09:38 pm

Maybe, but we should have easily won the NFCC game if not for 5-6 huge mistakes. I honestly think we would have done what the Bucs did to KC. One thing for sure....We will all see ....for better or for worse. GPG

LeotisHarris's picture

July 12, 2021 at 09:41 pm

I stand with Doug, whenever he gets here:

Paging Doug in Sand Point.

Doug in Sand Point, please report to CHTV. It. Is. Time.

Step up and put the fear of the Almighty into the '72 Dolphins once again!

Bure9620's picture

July 12, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Just not as concerned as some regardless of who the QB is because this team being built to run the football. We will see the MLF vision this year and it will be over 50% run.....also a better defense...More run plays if Love is the starter because he will be less likely to check to a pass than Rodgers. We are seeing a slow but inevitable change in philosophy. Matt Lefleur wants to lean very heavily on the run game to open up passes and explosives off the action. This is his vision. We have not been a run team in my adult life but the run fixes everything. The offense will go through Jones, Adams and Dillon.

greengold's picture

July 13, 2021 at 06:27 am

I agree, Bure9620, 100%. Well said.

July 13, 2021 at 07:38 am

I can remember complaining that McCarthy didn't conform to the talent he had on hand, and instead ran his offense regardless of his available personnel. IDK, but when you have an elite QB who is the reigning MVP, perhaps the notion of moving to a run based offense should give one pause.

greengold's picture

July 13, 2021 at 08:42 am

Appreciate what you’ve said here, but I think switching to a run heavy attack was part of a bigger plan to extend AR’s career. It really helps any QB as it takes pressure off the OL/pass pro/QB by making opposing front 7s play more honest.

Running the rock more regularly helps open up everything in the passing game. We will see that happen a lot this season. I'm sure of it.

July 13, 2021 at 10:39 am

"McCarthy didn't conform to the talent he had on hand, "

Agreed. One of my greatest criticisms of McCarthy.

"but when you have an elite QB who is the reigning MVP, perhaps the notion of moving to a run based offense should give one pause."

The Packers ran the ball 43.5% of the time in 2020, the only time they've run that often since 2003 with Ahman Green and a scattershot Brett Favre. I'm all for diverse, high-efficiency offenses that dictate game play from the opening kickoff to the final gun. I don't think that as long as ARod is under center it's unlikely they'll run more than 45% of the time.

Bure9620's picture

July 13, 2021 at 08:58 pm

Well they have drafted 6 o-linemen in the last 2 drafts, most of whom are not of the traditional pass blocking pedigree they traditionally look for....and AJ Dillon in round 2....They want to pound it...

Minniman's picture

July 13, 2021 at 02:27 am

I think that this year will be a tougher schedule for the Packers than recent years, so even if Rodgers returns and everyone "lets bygones-be-bygones" I'm still not seeing another 13-3 regular season.

Post-season success really depends on who has momentum and health coming into it.

So it will really depend on who gets hurt - both for the Packers and their opponents - and for how long. The Packers were relatively healthy the last 2 years and benefited from it (that LA Rams post-season game was not the same with Donald playing hurt).

If Rodgers plays, and the team buys into the "last dance" mentality, then I think that they have the experienced people and cohesiveness in the core playing group to make a run.

porupack's picture

July 13, 2021 at 05:25 am

Rodgers plays, and this is a team that addressed many weak areas since Gute took over (TE, S, OLB, RB and restocked the Oline) but still a 8-9 win season. Its a tough schedule. They'll make playoffs as wildcard and get to the conference game. That's as far the weather report I can predict. Of course, all of the qualifiers: injuries, if Rodgers plays, if there is no NFL strike, new pandemic, and China or the Saudis don't buy out the NFL.

Since'61's picture

July 13, 2021 at 08:42 am

The Saudis will buy out the NFL before China does. The Saudis have more money than China. Thanks, Since '61

July 13, 2021 at 10:22 am

"Its a tough schedule. They'll make playoffs as wildcard and get to the conference game. "

Remember that with the exception of 3 games, all the teams in the division play the same slate of teams. Every team in the division is in pretty much the same hole. So you're saying that even if ARod plays, some other team in the division will win 10+ games?

TBH, if ARod plays, the Packers are likely 5-1, or maybe 4-2, in the division. MAYBE the Vikings manage a 4-2 divisional record...but the Lions are young and undertalented, and the Bears are aging and undertalented. Neither of those teams are a threat.

flackcatcher's picture

July 13, 2021 at 12:12 pm

The Packers are the best in the division by a large margin, it's not even close. And that's without Rodgers. Rodgers with a chip is one scary dude (as long as it's directed at the other team) This is a veteran team built to win the Superbowl this year. If there is an issue, that would be on the defensive scheme and DC. That's strictly on Lafleur and he owns it. One does not make an enemy of your GM, especially if he is one of the most powerful in pro football. My gut says Lafleur is on a short leash here. We'll see. Still, if all concern keep their egos in check, this is a very powerful core group who could roll into the NFLCC game in Lambeau again.

July 13, 2021 at 01:19 pm

"My gut says Lafleur is on a short leash here"

Wow, that's a strong statement, flack. In this era of crappy coaching, it's hard to say a guy who has won 26 of 32 regular season games in his first two seasons is on a short leash. I think this team would have to really start underachieving and LaF would have to seriously lose the locker room for him not to get at least 2 more years.

flackcatcher's picture

July 13, 2021 at 04:54 pm

Well, I did say gut dobber... :-) To be serious, the Gutekunst/Lafleur dynamic has never been good from day one. Most of that goes to the way Lafleur was hired. On top of that Murphy lied to Lafleur about his power and responsibility in the organization. If the Executive Committee had acted earlier when they hired Gutekunst, most of this drama could have been avoided. I'm afraid the Pettine saga has made the problems between the two men too big to bridge in the long term. Lafleur wouldn't be the first successful coach to get the boot over not getting along with the equally (if not more so) successful General Manager. But that's a discussion for the future, not today. (I wonder if it was the sushi)

greengold's picture

July 13, 2021 at 05:31 am

Tough schedule makes a talented team facing a lot of adversity even better. Aaron Rodgers retires/holds out, and does not play for Green Bay. 14-3 regular season record wins the NFC North Division. Packers ranked top 10 in Offense, Defense & Special Teams goes on to win the Super Bowl.

nostradanus's picture

July 13, 2021 at 07:57 am

Rodgers shows up late, pulls a groin and is out until mid-season.
Meanwhile;

Jordan Love is nowhere near ready and loses the first 3 games.

MLF patience wears thin and inserts Bortles who wins the first game but loses the next 2

Rodgers sees that Benkert has become a fan favorite and gets his ass off the training table and leads the Packers to a Wild Card berth and all the way to the Super Bowl! Which of course the Packers win!

At seasons end Bortles is shown the door

Rodgers is traded to Denver so he and his man bun can live happily ever after in Boulder

And the whole offseason there is a major split between Packers fans on the QB controversy between Jordan Love lovers and Kurt Benkert believers.

Buckle up Packers fans, it’s going to be a wild ride!!!!!

Go Pack!!!

July 13, 2021 at 10:24 am

"Enter Kurt Benkert who comes in and does his best Don Majikowski impression and goes 3 and 1."

RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!!

HarryHodag's picture

July 13, 2021 at 08:56 am

Rodgers shows up and plays half-heartedly.

Packers 9-7 and out of the playoffs. Vikings win the division at12-4. Bears 10-6, Lions 7-9.

Packers gladly trade Rodgers to Las Vegas.

White92's picture

July 13, 2021 at 04:36 pm

I hope if he shows he gives 100%, but I fear you might be right

July 13, 2021 at 10:31 am

ARod plays all 17 and plays well. Offensive line sputters early but gels late, allowing the team to lean heavily on the run game down the stretch.

Ball-hawking secondary and revitalized pass rush help the defense into the top-10 in takeaways, but they struggle again at times to stop the run.

11-6 final record. Win the division over the 9-8 Vikings, 7-10 Lions, and 6-11 Bears. Packers get a home game in the WC round and beat the Rams, lose in the divisional round to Arizona. Buffalo beats Arizona to win the SB.

Packers deal ARod to the GIANTS, get the Bears' first round 2022 pick in return, and select a dominating, future HOF DT who pairs with Kenny Clark to relentlessly pound Justin Fields for three years before Fields hangs it up to save his reconstructed knees.

Qoojo's picture

July 13, 2021 at 11:10 am

This is a pessimistic outlook. With Rodgers, continue to lose in the playoffs. Without Rodgers, probably sub .500 record due to young QB issues.

I don't see things changing from the second half of the TB playoff game. Game on the line and the offense played like it was 2011 without the WRs required to run it. Then when you consider it take 2-3 years before Rodgers "trusts" a WR, there will be no new WR help before Rodgers retires or moves on.

This offense can move the ball when utilizing Jones properly, but it still goes into 2011 mode with the empty backfield and the theory that the 4th/5th WR is better than the defense's 4th/5th CB, which simply is not true for their current WRs.

Bure9620's picture

July 13, 2021 at 09:55 pm

The Packers have enough at WR. According to PFF, as far as getting open, they are 6th in the league...They also have the best WR in the league. Are you wanting a spread? 4th and 5th receivers???? They are rarely if ever on the field in this offense....Mike McCarthy coaches Dallas now...and poorly

Qoojo's picture

July 14, 2021 at 09:45 am

I was saying that their empty backfield spread offense is not a threat because they do not out class their CB/LB defenders like 2011.

To be clear, I never want to see an empty backfield unless it is a hail mary situation.

White92's picture