Packers Vs.Rams - 3 Plays That Make You Go Hmmm

Jersey Al picks out three thought-provoking plays from the Packers' game against the Rams

After re-watching the Packers game, here are three plays that made me go hmmm, for various reasons.

AJ Dillon:

Dillon gave us aglimpse into his bright future in the final regular season game. He showed power and burst, but one thing I've been waiting to see from Dillon was still missing; the ability to redirect on a dime and make something out of nothing - a skill that Aaron Jones excels at. Since Dillon is likely Jones' replacement, I've wanted to see if he is something more than a powerful one-cut runner. This was only one play, but he sure showed the ability is there.

Davante - Ramsey:

You've likely all seen the play where Ramsey is head up with Davante and gets juked so badly on a slant, Ramsey acts like he's passing Davante off to an inside defender (who doesn't actually exist). Pretty poor acting job. But that's not the play I'm showing you here.This clip is just another example of Davante Adams making ALL-PRO Jalen Ramsey look like some rookie UDFA from Northeast Wyoming State (no offense to them if such a school actually exists). Ramsey's feet appear to be stuck in mud, while Davante dances around him.

Rodgers in the Pocket:

Watching this live, I had my heart in my throat, cringing while on the edge of my seat, bracing myself for the moment when our MVP quarterback is going to get crushed and in the end zone, no less. How he keeps his cool among all the chaos (all four DL involved in stunts) is just incredible. He's basically surrounded. He sees Jamal Williams as a dump off option over the middle but looks for more (a definite ROdgers trait). He waits to see which way Leonard Floyd (the rusher closest to him) chooses, then steps the opposite way as a small gap opens up. He now has a fleeting moment to look downfield before #58 appears in his face. He spots Alan Lazard (who by the way has beaten ALL-PRO Jalen Ramsey on a simple crossing route) and completes the pass for a huge first down on 2nd and 17. To be that cool under pressure from your own end zone in a playoff game surely indicates that Rodgers just can't be human.

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.  Follow Al on twitter at @JerseyalGBP

x24's picture

January 19, 2021 at 10:48 am

Davante made Ramsey look like Kevin King

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 19, 2021 at 11:46 am

Davante makes most CBs look like Justin Gilbert.

BradHTX's picture

January 19, 2021 at 06:19 pm

Do I hear Quinten Rollins?

Swisch's picture

January 19, 2021 at 07:03 pm

Gilbert Brown?

January 19, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Really? Ramsey pulled a hammy on that play?

MikeDV34's picture

January 19, 2021 at 12:10 pm

The Kevin King hate is so stupid.

x24's picture

January 19, 2021 at 02:05 pm

I don't hate King. I had a chance to re-watch some of the game and it seemed like all of the Ram's production on offense was at King's expense- he was 2 steps behind everything

I am not smart enough to know if this is the scheme or the player, but Brady is and unless they get this cleaned up, he's is going to have a big day on Sunday

Coldworld's picture

January 19, 2021 at 03:19 pm

I think it’s in part groin driven use of King by Pettine. That’s not addressing the 20 yards off schematic stuff that we have seen at times.

calabasa's picture

January 20, 2021 at 12:54 am

Makes sense. Most of my mistakes are groin-driven as well.

jlc1's picture

January 20, 2021 at 04:46 pm

May also be that nobody throws to Jaire's island so King is just seeing every throw. Over time even a good but not great corner will have some misses.

splitpea1's picture

January 19, 2021 at 11:17 am

Play #1: MLF is optimistic that we'll have Dillon for the NFCCG. I would imagine that we'll be doing a lot more running inside this time, since going outside didn't work at all against those Tampa LBs. The defense will have to be softened up and stretched vertically to succeed. And everybody needs to hang on to the ball.

Packers1985's picture

January 19, 2021 at 11:32 am

Totally agree with you on "Stretching vertically and everyone needs to hand on to the ball". We cant afford to drop any of those catches against this offense...And the defense shouldn't be playing soft against Tom Brady and Co. Go pack Go

JerseyAl's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:08 pm

He said "hopeful." Hadn't yet seen him since the game.

Coldworld's picture

January 19, 2021 at 03:21 pm

Just heard him. Said he had no idea not having seen him since the game as of speaking. He was hoping Dillon would be available not speaking to the likelihood.

Minniman's picture

January 19, 2021 at 02:41 pm

This is the time that you don’t wish to be a pro footballer (or athlete).

With a soft tissue injury (reports were a deep bruising [or cork]) Dillon’s week is going to alternate between ice therapy, heat and physical therapy - all hours of the day (especially early in the week) - to be ready for the weekend.

There is potentially no next week so I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t suit up.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 19, 2021 at 04:14 pm

Remember the offensive line got really screwed up when the LT went down. I think the running game will look a bit more like the run game did against the Rams with a healthy offensive line that practiced and prepared together for the game.

ricky's picture

January 19, 2021 at 11:47 am

As an alumnus of Northeast Wyoming State, I am shocked and appalled at your character assassination of our fine school. An apology is needed, which will be summarily dismissed as inadequate, and you and this website will be getting billed for the deep psychological trauma I've suffered.

JerseyAl's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:09 pm

My bad, I meant Southwest Wyoming State.

fansince1959's picture

January 19, 2021 at 11:48 am

I look For Daffney to lead the way with lots of TE sets

jannes bjornson's picture

January 19, 2021 at 04:08 pm

Power on power, keep it coming, get a hat on all the LBs.

CheesyTex's picture

January 19, 2021 at 11:49 am

"...surely indicates that Rodgers just can't be human".

Enjoy all your posts, Jersey Al, but you've reached a new level of flair in this one. Well done.

January 19, 2021 at 12:14 pm

It's that play by Dillon, with the vision and decisive cut, that gives him the opportunity to be more than just another power runner in this league.

Coldworld's picture

January 19, 2021 at 03:24 pm

Dillon is awfully nimble and fast for a man the size of a true FB (and all muscle). If he can expand his role on the passing game he has a chance to be a plus 3 down back. No one is as nimble as Jones of course, the man is a joy to watch.

jannes bjornson's picture

January 19, 2021 at 04:09 pm

Dillon has already shown he has sure hands.

PeteK's picture

January 19, 2021 at 06:16 pm

He's like a pinball bounces off and keeps going, excellent balance.

Razer's picture

January 19, 2021 at 12:22 pm

The last clip of Rodgers, cool in the pocket, in the end zone finding Lazard for 25 and a first down may be my play of the game. I am not sure but I think the score was 25-18 at the time. Take a safety here and have to kick the ball away would have been super momentum changing. Getting the first down was just gravy.

Thanks for picking this play Al - shows that you know what you are doing :o)

JerseyAl's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:12 pm

It was still 25-10 at that point (10:03 of Q3).

mnbadger's picture

January 19, 2021 at 12:26 pm

I too cringed during the goal line play you highlight here Al. Thank you for doing so. And thank you for the fantastic angle. I couldn't imagine what would have been going on in my head if I was trapped in that mess. But I am, after all, merely human, and a poor example of the species at that. If you could get the ground level, behind the line shot, that would be icing on the visual cake. Thank you.
The AJDillon cut was impressive and explosive, but I worry about the fumble from a similar play. He seems to run high, exposing himself and the ball to carnage from NFL linebackers. The low level explosion from AJones is so impressive. AJ will learn. GPG

croatpackfan's picture

January 20, 2021 at 03:25 am

That AJ fumble is result of bad delivery at the point where AJ get the ball. It might be Aarons mistake, AJ mistake or bad timing. But, thank God, it finished well.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:01 pm

As usual Al interesting article. I recall watching some of the passes from Lynn Dickey to James Lofton and none were better until Rodgers and Adams came along. Simply a joy to watch.
I remember when I made a throw similar to Rodgers' pass you featured in your article; then I woke up, took a leak, and went back to bed.

croatpackfan's picture

January 20, 2021 at 03:25 am

Maybe you should not woke up?

MarkinMadison's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:40 pm

Rodgers' pass out of the end zone tells you exactly how he feels about this offensive line, even without Bakh.

flackcatcher's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:44 pm

I must have watched that Rodgers throw out of the Packers end zone over and over and over... That one play is a perfect example of the level of pass protection Rodgers got all game. Footwork is nimble, their sets are low and the unit pass off tells us they are talking to each other pre snap. This group played as close to a perfect game as possible. They took a real good Rams front seven and flat out grinded them into dust. Incredible. Simply Incredible.

Swisch's picture

January 19, 2021 at 01:44 pm

Glad to see such a big guy in A. J. (Armored Jeep) Dillon showing some swerve.

Swisch's picture

January 19, 2021 at 02:21 pm

A play that could be featured in an article here at CHTV is the rollout.
I remember three from the Rams game.
(1) The touchdown run by Rodgers from the one-yard line with the outrageous pump fake. This play gives Rodgers (seemingly) a dozen or so opportunities to change his mind between running and passing, as he pokes and prods the defense.
(2) There was a rollout when Rodgers was looking to pass or run as he ran to the sideline, and then just ran out of time and space -- throwing the ball away before going out of bounds. Even in this case, though, there was little or no loss. He could easily get rid of the ball without intentional grounding, and live to fight another play.
(3) Then there's the big bootleg late in the game, to basically ice the game, in which Rodgers completes a pass to Tonyan for a first down. The key was that it was second-and six, instead of third down, and the Rams probably thought the Packers would run the ball to milk the clock. If Tonyan isn't open, Rodgers can make a run for it to the edge while making sure to stay in bounds -- perhaps picking up some yards, at least not losing very much, and in any case keeping the clock moving.
***
It may be best to use the rollout selectively, but I like it as a change of pace play to keep the defense guessing. Again, at worst, it makes it easier to throw the ball away or to slide down for a minimal loss.
Yes, there's only half the field, but we can still have two or three guys at different depths downfield.
Plus, remember the sterling Favre-to-Sharpe play in about 1994 (at the beginning of a great run of seasons that included two Super Bowl appearances, one of them a victory) that won a wild-card game against the Lions.
As I remember it, Favre bootlegged left and looked left for awhile, while Sharpe streaked down the right sideline (out of the picture); then Favre threw against his body deep to Sharpe -- shocking everyone with the misdirection -- for the triumphant touchdown.
It's dangerous for a quarterback who is rolling out to throw into the middle of the field because it's hard to keep track of all the defensive backs who could pop up for an interception -- however, this seems less of a risk on a deep ball, especially when the quarterback has a strong arm.
If it's done on third and long, an interception forty yards or more downfield is as good as a punt, if the other players on offense are trained to follow up the pass in case they need to become tacklers.
Truly glad for other thoughts on this. The pass rush by the Bucs was fierce in our game earlier this season, and an occasional rollout may be one way to outsmart and outflank their aggressiveness.

PearlyBakerBest's picture

January 19, 2021 at 05:23 pm

I remember the Favre to Sharpe play against the Lions. I think it was the '93 wildcard and it was a 40 yarder on an absolute rope to win the game. IMO it is one of the top 5 throws in the history of the game.

PearlyBakerBest's picture

January 19, 2021 at 06:15 pm

I just watched the one from the end of the wildcard game and that is not the throw in question. I’ll try to find it.

PeteK's picture

January 19, 2021 at 06:24 pm

Yes, that was the first playoff game for the Pack in a long time. I recorded it on my VHS, and still have the tape. LOL

Swisch's picture

January 19, 2021 at 07:10 pm

It looked like the Packers had lost the game, then that lightning bolt from Favre to Sharpe.
Another big play late in the game was George Teague intercepting a pass at the goal line to prevent further scoring by the Lions.
It's a great memory in itself as a game, plus it was the start of something really big for the Packers -- after a quarter-century of mostly misery between Lombardi and Holmgren.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 19, 2021 at 04:20 pm

Also loved the extra effort on so many of the plays, including these 3. All the players got more yards with their moves. AJ with his cut and refusal to go down, Adams with his juke, and Lazard spinning out of a tackle. And MVS did this as well.

Oppy's picture

January 19, 2021 at 07:26 pm

I thought Ramsey had covered Adams man-up on only 5 or so snaps; I read the day after the game that PFF or maybe it was Elias stated that Ramsey was only lined up over Adams for 3 snaps during the game.

If that's the case, we've now seen each play Ramsey man'd up on Adams... and Davante took that kid's lunch money all day.

Had the Rams stuck Ramsey one on one with Davante all game, the Packers might have set a post-season passing record.

Since'61's picture

January 19, 2021 at 09:45 pm

Rodger’s pass from the end zone is just another example of why he is the league MVP. That pass was a play or two after the phantom holding call on Wagner.

Rodgers picks up his OL by finding a WR in first down yardage. He could have dumped off to Williams but he would not have made a first down. Rodgers keeps the play alive, makes a perfect throw and keeps his offense on the field.

As I posted earlier on another thread, Jalen Ramsey did not look very special to me. He was beaten by both Adams and Lazard at least during the game. No way that he should be All-Pro over Alexander. I don’t think that the Rams even threw one pass to his side of the field.

Dillon is still learning but he had shown good vision and good cuts to be able to run to daylight. Running behind our OL he can move the sticks and chew up the clock. Looking forward to the day he has Deguara as a lead blocker for him.

Thanks, Since ‘61