Packers vs. Falcons Game Predictions from CheeseheadTV.com

GAME PREDICTIONS Week 8

Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons

Name Record   Pick Prediction
Adam 3-3 Atlanta Falcons 27-23
Coming soon
Jersey Al 3-3 Green Bay Packers 31-23
Matt Ryan and Julio Jones against a secondary missing their top three corners could be a recipe for disaster. That is unless Ladarius Gunter proves out my theory that he is better suited to covering big receivers (with a little safety help over the top). The Packers' defense will hold down the Falcons' offense just enough while Rodgers verifies he's back by riddling the Falcons secondary for four TD passes.
Andrew 4-2 Green Bay Packers 27-21
If the Packers can come out like they did last week - up tempo with a bunch of no huddle - and get the offense (Aaron Rodgers) in rhythm, then this is a game they can win. I firmly believe the defense can hold down most of the Atlanta offense, and limit the damage to just Julio Jones. This will be an interesting test of that statistically No 1 Packers run defense. Ezekiel Elliot lit the Pack up a few weeks ago, and Devonta Freeman is the best back after Elliott this defense has seen. If the run defense plays up to the ranking, and the offense gets off to another solid start, this should be a Green Bay win.
Cory 3-3 Atlanta Falcons 31-20
The only way the Packers win this game is if they win the time of possession, and with Ty Montgomery as the featured back that's a tall order. Matt Ryan will hook up with Julio Jones often and make Green Bay's inexperienced secondary pay.
Jason 4-2 Atlanta Falcons 31-17
This is all about the match up and it doesn't favor the Packers much.  A decimated secondary trying to contain the best receiver in the game in Julio Jones is bad enough.  No true running game against a defense that isn't called "the Bears" and head coach Dan Quinn, who is a good defensive mind, likely spells a tough day for Green Bay.  My biggest debate in picking this one was whether the Falcons score 31 or 38.  If the Packers can avoid more injuries, that would be their win in this one.
Jayme 4-2 Green Bay Packers 28-27
It’s hard to feel good about this one. The falcons have shown that they can put up points, and the Packers defense has shown it can give up the big pass plays. While the Packers offense, also hurting, has yet to play a consistent 4 quarters. Going to go on the hope that the packers o can build off of the second half of the bears game versus a weak falcons d and somehow at the end of the day the packers will score more.
Michelle 4-2 Atlanta Falcons 27-24
This game will likely turn into a high-octane passing attack on both sides, given the injuries at the running back position for both teams and the fact that Green Bay and Atlanta have both been stout against the run this season. Aaron Rodgers didn’t seem to have a lot of problems attempting 56 passes in Week 7. But ultimately, the Falcons have Julio Jones, and Green Bay’s receivers are still struggling to make big plays downfield the way Jones can and to find the end zone. The Falcons keep this closer than maybe it should be.
Ross 4-2 Atlanta Falcons 30-27
For me, this is a big litmus test game for the Packers.  Green Bay really isn't the underdog very often.  Coming into the season they were going to be favorites in Vegas every game.  This is a Falcons team that just lost at home to a Chargers team that probably isn't as good as the Packers are top to bottom.  With that said, until this team really proves something to me I can't pick them to win in this spot.
Zach 5-1 Green Bay Packers 27-20
The Packers won't limit Julio Jones - but they'll keep him out of the endzone. Whether they throw it 40, 50, 60 times, they'll finish with their 5th win of the season.
Mr. X 4-2 Green Bay Packers 33-24
Here's saying the Dirty Birds are overrated. The Packers raid the Falcon's nest and come away with most the eggs.

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.  Follow Al on twitter at @JerseyalGBP

Bearmeat's picture

October 28, 2016 at 07:50 pm

Lots more people picking GB than I thought there would be. This is just a matchup nightmare for a depleted secondary.

My bet would be that GB scores 20, but still loses by more than 10.

Take the over LVT.

EdsLaces's picture

October 28, 2016 at 08:19 pm

Weird I was thinking the exact same thing. Especially on your score prediction. 31 20 Falcons. Too much Julio and too much Beasley. I know everyone loves Monty (as do i) but if he gets a majority of the snaps that could be bad for us. We always go with the vets over the guys with the upside. (HAHA Monty the vet with a week or two more experience than Davis). All jokes aside....hate the match up for us. GPG though:)

rdent's picture

October 29, 2016 at 08:54 am

Mathews is questionable with a hamstring,hopefully they can get pressure on the QB and like you said with a depleted secondary it could be a hard game to watch,if the game becomes a shoot out I wonder if GB's offense can keep up.

bears suck forever's picture

October 28, 2016 at 08:51 pm

leave some room on the grill for some yard bird.

Remember to cook it low and turn it often.

mix up the scheme, and start to pull more fast offense.

The season is 1/2 over and we need to hang on to wild card hopes.

Say a prayer for the defense tthis weekend.

the bears still suck.

croatpackfan's picture

October 29, 2016 at 01:32 am

Well, something is not OK. You mentioned SD team. They were 2-4 when they came to Atlanta and they won. Packers are 4-2. So, you are basically saying that Packers are worser team than SD, but have better record. I'm not convinced that Packers will win, but there is realistic possibility. You might even be right, but your reasons are wrong.

rdent's picture

October 29, 2016 at 08:57 am

Cow, you were doing so much better but it appears you RELAPSED.

Donster's picture

October 29, 2016 at 06:50 am

Rivers is playing much better than Rodgers. Take away the two games that SD gave away, and their record is the same as the Pack. And they have two good TE's. It's close, but I'd give the nod to SD right now.

wimiller's picture

October 29, 2016 at 09:03 am

overcoming the knowledge that if COW picks the Falcons in a shutout he is trying to get the gods to prove him wrong, but it is a wing and prayer, hell we could not stop julio with shields out there two yeas ago. COW unfortunately makes a whole lot more sense (trust your eyes folks as to what we have seen this year on O, and then add Julio) than anyone picking the woeful Pack to win. Falcons 38 Pack 10 (of course i am trying to trick the gods into making me look like a fool, but that has not worked this season)

Since'61's picture

October 28, 2016 at 10:57 pm

I think the Packers can win the LOS in this game. The Falcons have little film on the Packers revised offense and Monty. They have no film on our RBs. Win the LOS, play keep away from the Falcons offense, pressure Ryan. Pack wins 33-19. Thanks, Since '61

Donster's picture

October 29, 2016 at 06:57 am

Lang might be out. Or limited. Cobb has a bad hamstring. If plays won't be 100%. Monty has been sick most of the week. If he can't go, no question the Pack drops this game, I hate to say.

Matthews can sit. He hasn't been to effective anyway. Let the hamstring heal.

Even if all three were 100%, I think the Pack loses by 14.

jh9's picture

October 29, 2016 at 07:54 am

Ryan gets the ball out too fast and too accurately for the Packers defense. Last year, we all saw what Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning did against GB with quick accurate passes. Couple that with all our best CBs out and trying to cover Julio Jones, and I see Atlanta scoring often.

The only chance I see of the Packers winning is if they offensively outplay Atlanta. However, we haven't yet seen this year the Packers offense play well for a full sixty minutes. Maybe they will do it against Atlanta, but I wouldn't bet on it. Atlanta wins 38-27.

jh9's picture

October 29, 2016 at 07:52 am

marpag1's picture

October 29, 2016 at 10:00 am

This is a toss up to me, and could be an absolute shoot out. We ain't stopping Julio, but the ATL defense is pretty awful and gives up 300 yards passing per game on average. Not sure who's going to win, but wouldn't be shocked if we saw 65 points by the time it's over...

TarynsEyes's picture

October 29, 2016 at 10:55 am

Since I'm a betting person, I'll tease a 3 team parley on a teaser ticket.....
Packers +8
Atl +2
Over 47
This says I lean more toward an Atlanta win but a Packer cover in a loss with high scoring. It's a 5 point swing with less pay back but I'll venture $200 ....putting my money up when I speak.....what say you LVT. : )

TarynsEyes's picture

October 30, 2016 at 08:39 am

Hold on.....now that Cobb is out...this game is off .

Samson's picture

October 29, 2016 at 11:51 am

It's possible that the Pack will have maybe their worst game of the year in Atlanta. -- The Packers will have to be +2 or +3 in turnovers just to stay close. --- I just hope AR doesn't embarrass himself with any of his juvenile antics while being frustrated with the game and his WRs.

October 29, 2016 at 09:32 pm

You guys are to scared for me. The sky is falling, if your cow. I'm more afraid of your opinions than the Falcons. The only thing that could spoil a victory is Adams. I guess thats where a lot of your frustrations come from. I see no difference playing against the lions, than the falcons. Megatron was better than Julio. The Falcons can self -destruct just like any other team in the NFL. It's the more discipline team that wins. The truth is this: The defense is better than any year since the super-bowl. So what if the CBs are banged up. Capers and MM have always come up with a great game plan. A-rod is not going to let us down. If the packers want this game they must FIGHT. It's still won or lost in the trenches. Over confidence has always been this teams worst enemy. Don't confuse the Facts with emotions. Waiving the white Flag only makes one weak. The packers will win this game, because their offensive attack is better. And the defense can control the falcons.

al bundy's picture

October 29, 2016 at 10:53 pm

You never know what Packer team will show up? Or who will play. Or what the scheme will be: million five yard passes? Trick running plays?
I know their mantra will be ball control game to keep that piss poor pass defense off the field as much as possible. I think the days of Rogers to Jordy down the field wide open are over. Jordy aint running away from people any more so I dont expect him to duel Julio.