Packers to Hire Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

The Green Bay Packers have made the first hire in the 2019 hiring cycle.

Breaking...

According to ESPN's Rob Demovsky and Adam Schefter, the Packers are about to hire Titan's offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur as it's next head coach. LaFleur comes from the Mike Shanahan coaching tree, which produced current hotshot head coaches like the Rams' Sean McVay and the 49ers' Kyle Shanahan.

LaFleur, 39, was an offensive assistant with Houston; quarterbacks coach with Washington and Atlanta; offensive coordinator with the Rams and Titans, and now HEAD C0ACH OF YOUR GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!

...

According to Rob Demovsky, the Packers are also expected to retain Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine and his staff.

Others weighing in on the hire:

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.

Oppy's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:22 pm

I must have timed my log in right as this was breaking

GBPDAN1's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:32 pm

I'm a little torn on this hiring, but, he is now our coach. Let's all support our new Head coach and hope for the best. Go Pack.

Oppy's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:38 pm

I have zero preconceived notions on this purported hire.

Coaching is one of those things where it's all about the right place at the right time. I'll eagerly await the assembling of his staff, OTAs and Training Camp to see what kind of ship he'll run. No question there will be some bumps along the way, it's Rodgers' first ever change of offense.

I'm optimistic for the new coaching staff until proven otherwise. The only thing I wish for is he puts Rodgers in check and gets him back to a conscientious, methodical, and deliberate style of play within the structure of the offense. Take charge, coach.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:17 pm

" zero preconceived notions"

I am very interested in the fact the Henry won AFC player of the month for Dec. To me that is a big deal. This team BADLY needs balance on offense.

Also, Marriota and Gabbert had completion percentages in the upper 60s. Those guys are not on anyone's list of great QBs. If he can make those dudes efficient, I think he can put together some nice stuff for Rodgers.

Additionally, listing to him talk, he's articulate and honest. Listen to this.

Google titansonline.com matt-lafleur-you-have-to-trust-the-process

So much more refreshing than MM pad level BS. Rodgers is going to resonate with Matt LaFleur. How can we blame Rodgers for tuning out MM. I tuned him out 3 years ago and I only hear him on video 10 minutes a week.

Oppy's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:04 am

The thing is.. that "pad level bs" is about the most straight forward, honest football talk you can get from a coach. It's not sexy.. but level, leverage, and technique are what make good football players.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:12 pm

It's not actual Pad Level that is BS. It's using it a canned response over and over again, and as a diversion to the actual question.

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:02 pm

Trent Dilfer says you’ll get your wish!

splitpea1's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:03 pm

I'll second that.

It's a copycat league and the Packers hopped right on the bandwagon. Good for them--they didn't dally around and made what they thought was the best decision. Now they can get a head start on turning this into a competitive team once again. I'll be interested to see how this hiring affects free agent and draft priorities.

kevgk's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:32 pm

I dont get this "bandwagon hopping". Coaching is dependent on human beings personalities, and good offense isnt a trend. People can still tailor scheme to players and innovate, not just hand out textbooks.

Oppy's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:40 pm

DIslikes because I stumbled onto a "new coach" breaking news article with no comments? lol, c'mon people.

EdsLaces's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:23 pm

I know wtf lol

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:52 pm

Tough customers here Oppy

4thand10's picture

January 08, 2019 at 09:21 am

I gave you a “like” Oppy. :-)

Oppy's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:23 pm

let the poo-poo'ing commence!

TheVOR's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:45 pm

OK, I'll start..... Wow! Brutal... Was not in my top 3 even, big reach. Nothing about the Titans last year speaks Championship Football to me. As usual, Green must be prevalent in the Packers front office, both Money from salaries and some good bowl worthy cencimillion.. You had to be smoking something to make this choice.

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:05 pm

I have no info, but danged if I’ll be shy about sharing my opinion!!!

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 06:16 am

Kudos for what will likely prove the most honest comment here!

gbslapshot's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:28 am

Funny how quickly people forget that the 49ers weren't exactly setting the world on fire with McCarthy as the offensive coordinator.

Oppy's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:10 am

Actually, the Saints did pretty good with MM.. It was his year in SF that was poor.

gbslapshot's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:31 am

Oppy I realized my mistake and edited it before I seen that you corrected me. All I could remember was at the time I was not happy about getting the 30th ranked o coordinator. It worked out pretty well until it didn't though.

Oppy's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:07 am

*Sensimilla

...or so i'm told.

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:17 pm

“let the poo-poo’ing commence”

I was the keynote speaker at last year’s Ex-Lax Midwest Regional convention, and used that remark as my opening line.

I will not be THIS YEAR’S keynote speaker.

Oppy's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:12 am

It sounds like you used to be full of it, but you've learned to relax and just let it go.

The TKstinator's picture

January 08, 2019 at 05:53 am

Touché!
(Careful to start that word with a ‘t’ and not a ‘d’!)

Lphill's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:25 pm

Matt Ryan was great under him and so was the Rams offense. Seems like the Offense guru they were looking for.

4thand10's picture

January 08, 2019 at 09:25 am

I don’t know anything about LaFluer. But it seems like everywhere he had been also had improved play and units. A good sign. Hopefully this works out.

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:26 pm

Excited to see how the rest of the FO shakes out. I hope LaFleur retains Pettine and gets rid of Zook.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:48 pm

Sometimes I have to laugh at your comments JS because it's exactly the same thing I'm thinking. Had just posted on Ross's thread I truly hope LaFleur retains Pettine. Even better hopefully he was required to as part of accepting the job, kinda like the Bears did with Fangio when they hired Nagy.

Nick Perry's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:19 pm

Not me...I hope he wants to keep Pettine because that's who HE wants as his DC, not because it was a condition. The last time Murphy laid down conditions we ended up with a "Lame Duck" HC who was fired before the season even ended.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:57 pm

Ian Rappaport is reporting that Pettine was on the list of coaches he wanted when he presented his list to Murphy and Gute. I'm so fricking happy if this is true, OH YEAH!

January 07, 2019 at 06:05 pm

I am having fun with this but in all honesty the Pettine retention if true is the best news of all. He was so key to turning this around as quick as possible. It's up to Lefleur to straighten out Rodgers and/or get Boyle ready to go in the bull pen.

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:17 pm

That's why I always enjoy our back and forths Rak47 a lot of the times when I disagree with you I find out we're saying the same thing in different words lol. If you ever want to keep in touch outside of CHTV I'm easy to find on FB you already have my full name lol.

Edit: Dash do you have a name for your hate club? I'm thinking the Mad Dashers

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:07 pm

(First rule of hate club: Don’t post about hate club.)

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:12 pm

Second rule of hate club: down vote based off of the name of the poster and not what they are actually posting.

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:26 pm

I get that a lot

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:48 pm

You all have a homework assignment.....

Rak47's picture

January 08, 2019 at 03:59 am

I'll look you up on FB, JS. Looks like you have your own following of h8ers. :-}

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 08, 2019 at 09:16 am

I try Rak, but no matter how many insightful well thought out posts I write Injust keep getting more thumbs up than thumbs down. Unless I pass on a direct message from the ghost of John Kirk then the hate rolls right on in. I think I found my hate meal ticket. Too bad I have a bad habit of moving on lol.

Rebecca's picture

January 09, 2019 at 08:04 am

Thanks for using “LaFleur” Mr. Spader. Is Zook gone yet? The kicking and receiving units were predictably bad for years. Zook’s Yellow Flag Collection Units’ dats are over hopefully.

Bearmeat's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:34 pm

I wanted Fitz, but I like this SO MUCH MORE than McDuechebag or Monken. Fleur had baggage, notably his lack of O success in TEN. But they were absolutely destroyed by injury and still almostafr the playoffs. Plus, he committed to Henry as the season rolled on.

Dude got Goff right. That's not nothing.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:52 pm

Do a bit of research on Monken if you haven't already Bearmeat. I first thought the same thing but after reading up on him, his successes and how players felt about him he was definitely moving up to my short list. I think Monken will make a solid HC somewhere.

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:09 pm

Hey hey he’s the Monken
People say he Monkens around
He’s too busy coaching
To put anybody down

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:38 pm

Rock Solid TKstinator

2.5
1.5
Bart_Starred's picture

January 08, 2019 at 05:55 am

This is so bad I just had to give it an up vote :-). You really know how to “Dolenz” it out TK!

...sorry....

The TKstinator's picture

January 08, 2019 at 11:52 am

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:03 pm

I'm with ya Bearmeat. We will atleast have an offense from this century.

I was high on Monken as well, sounds like Murphy was too.
His work turning around the complete disaster of a program at Southern Miss in 2 years was simply miraculous. Will be really interesting to see OC is, I doubt they force Philbin on him.

Nick Perry's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:23 pm

Ummm...Have you guys watched Rodgers throw deep? I only ask because that's what Monken likes to do. Last time I watched Rodgers was overthrowing our fastest WR by 5 yards.

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:46 pm

They should speed up.

January 07, 2019 at 08:40 pm

If LaFleur is going to call his own plays (which I expect him to do), does it matter much who the OC is?

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:31 pm

Yes, it matters. The OC will be contributing major parts.of the game plan, running a big part of the installations and managing the day to day for the position coaches. It's an big job. Also if Philbin is still Assistant HC he'll likely be helping with game time management.

Oppy's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:21 am

Good god I hope they let Philbin walk.

We need to clear out all the Rodgers security blankets and yes men.

I want this head coach to succeed. I believe he needs to surround himself with his guys, not Rodger's.

Nick Perry's picture

January 08, 2019 at 06:04 am

"Good god I hope they let Philbin walk.
We need to clear out all the Rodgers security blankets and yes men.
Priority #1 needs to be getting Rodgers right again. I know some people here think that means coddling him and trying to keep him happy and comfortable, but He needs nudged out of his comfort zone, and reminded that he's a player,who answers to coaches."

I haven't watched the WWE or WWF (Whatever it's called) for years and years but Oppy deserves my best Daniel Byron impression for this comment.

YES! YES! YES!

Rebecca's picture

January 09, 2019 at 08:12 am

And how did that OC job turn out for them in 2018? The OC will most likely need to be hand picked by LaFleur? I don’t know. I just don’t see Philbin being a big part of the Packers’ future. Yes, he’s very familiar with the Organization, but he’s still a McCarthy team guy.

Hawg Hanner's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:06 pm

Weren't the injuries in TN enough to explain the off year their offense had?
I am amazed at how many people will come out and assail this guy

January 07, 2019 at 05:31 pm

No No No!! Anybody but Matt LaFailure. He was the last guy on my list of one. Green Bay fans, say hello to the wine cellar.

Bearmeat's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:36 pm

Ok. Other than last year's injury ravaged Titans offense.... Why?

January 07, 2019 at 05:42 pm

Beats the hell out of me Bearmeat. It looks like they went with the young safe pick for Rodgers. I'll have to wait for John Kirk's official report. Interested in what he has to say about it.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:55 pm

I think It's pretty obvious they're are looking to duplicate the successes of Shannahan and McVay while going young and fresh but staying with a coach who's foundation is based in the west coast system that AR knows so well.

Bearmeat's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:23 pm

Interesting... I didn't remember that Shanahan was a WC guy.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:24 pm

Originally Shannahan started out in Denver under Dan Reeves before being hired in Oakland by Al Davis. After being fired and feuding with Davis, he then spent 4 years coordinating offenses for George Siefert in San Fran . This is where he picked up the west coast system and took it back to Denver in 95 as HC after winning a SB in 94 using it with San Fran as their OC. I'm talking about Mike Shannahan who then passed his knowledge to his son Kyle. LaFleur has most recently worked under McVay, Vrabel, Shannahan, and Jay Gruden another west coast guy and Jon Gruden's brother. McVay and Kyle Shannahan have both worked under Jay Gruden recently as well. The west coast offense runs deep with LaFleur.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:05 pm

Actual West Coast Offense.

Not the MM Mouse Davis Run and Shoot with West Coast terminology but you forget to call run plays or when you do the QB just changes the play to a 50 yard bomb and under throws it by 10 yards.

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:45 pm

Dash,

John Kirk is done as a Packer fan and won't be commenting on CHTV anymore. He asked me to pass that onto you.

January 07, 2019 at 06:56 pm

Can you at least ask him his thoughts on the LaFleur signing than relay that info back to all of us here. I am pretty sure I speak for everyone here when I say we would love to know what his final thoughts are on this. He was the only one that agreed with me on Rex Ryan and since I am like really really smart, that tells me he is too.

P.S. Why would Kirk suddenly just pick up and leave Spader? That makes no sense. He was killing it the past week.

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:02 pm

Dash,

"You can tell Dash for me that I no longer follow the Packers after 39 years of good and bad football.

I truly can't stand Mark Murphy and was bracing for this kind of a move. Only Philbin being hired would've upset me more.

Hope we can keep in touch.  I'll return to the team I've loved for decades when someone respectable is running it.  Murphy, Brian, and Matt are too much for me.  It really is, JS."

January 07, 2019 at 07:13 pm

Sorry but that's a bunch of b.s.. Kirk would never refer to Mark Murphy as Mark Murphy. It would be Magic Mark Murphy or whatever he used to call him. I fully expect Kirk to come on here at some point and look forward to one of the few journalists who's opinions I respect.

Dash

fastmoving's picture

January 08, 2019 at 01:04 am

at least you are way more funny than smart......."journalists"!!!LOL...this was your best one, even when if you dont know the meaning of most of the words you useing.

Swisch's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:28 pm

I'm genuinely sad to see John Kirk leave as a commenter here at CHTV, and especially as a fellow Packers fan.
I'm interested to know why he thinks the LaFleur hiring is so disastrous. Maybe I missed a prior comment in this regard.
In any case, God bless you, John. Please feel welcome to change your mind.

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:47 pm

Na na na na... Na na na na... Hey hey....

9.5
2.5
Lare's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:06 pm

I think he was tired of adding to the airport. Sorry about your loss Rash.

January 07, 2019 at 05:59 pm

Ok, forget what I said about the LaFailure comment. I just heard a quote from him saying the main reason he took the job was not only the opportunity to work with Aaron Rodgers but especially Tim Boyle who he said "has all the tools to be a great one and I am the guy who can make him a star". Yeah, I like this guy now. Back to LeFleur now that I know he's a Boyleist like I am. Love this guy!!

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:02 pm

I heard that all the candidates, except McDaniels, were eager to work with Tim Boyle.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:13 pm

Where'd you catch that at Dash? Can you link it?

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:13 pm

The Matrix?

Pierre's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:06 pm

Yes Dash, Packers need to make sure they hang on to Boyle as he does have the skills to be a good NFL QB who has shown the potential to really bring the vertical passing game back to GB, like Mahomes is doing with KC, should Rodgers not be able to turn his game around next season.

January 07, 2019 at 11:11 pm

Agree Pierre. No way is LaFleur getting rid of Boyle with those comments. He sees what you and I see.

Dash

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 06:43 am

I like the pedigree with player development. I have no real feel for his play calling or schematic abilities.

If it is true that he may keep Philbin, the question becomes, for me, what did Philbin bring to the table this year and why was it seemingly so underwhelming? Was he constrained by what the MM system had become, by Rodgers or what? Perhaps Philbin needs a viable direction to unlock his value? On the other hand, perhaps Philbin will be an obstacle to significant change and is more of a security blanket for some one. Not at all sure about his value or otherwise moving forward.

Pettine’s retention is the blessing. One season with an inexperienced O decimated by injuries and with glaring gaps and turnover at some positions is not enough to form a rational view. I respect what he did with, by the end, virtually no one. What can he do with a rush etc and some help will take another season to determine and, in doing so, allow the rookies some continuity in their development rather than a significant reset.

Overall, this is a risk. Betting on unproven potential beyond seeming player development. The alternative was a more proven candidate, none of whom excited me.

McD is someone I am just not sure would work in GB. I remember what he did in Denver when given the reins. He may need a BB to constrain his excesses. At the very least, I have doubts over his transition to HC that elevate his risk factor too.

So here we go. Fingers crossed this is a step in the right direction: only time will tell.

Rebecca's picture

January 09, 2019 at 08:31 am

Dash, as Matt LaFleur’s adopted cousin twice removed I know for a fact that he has a huge crush on Boyle and that he is a football player unlike Kizer.

Rebecca's picture

January 09, 2019 at 08:14 am

lol Dash! You were taken seriously! :)

Free agent's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:37 pm

Wow! Didn’t see that happening. Maybe LaFleur agreed to keep Philbin as the OC to keep Rodgers happy. Wouldn’t be surprised if Pettine remains the DC for next season. Looking forward to watch a new offensive system and hopefully an enthusiastic, and healthy Aaron Rodgers. Bring on free agency and the draft!

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:38 pm

Please, no.

Need more cowbell, less Philbin.

Free agent's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:15 pm

I agree, I don’t want Philbin either.

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 06:56 am

To take the negative approach, one could look at this as being Murphy and co taking the easy option. Hire a QB guru and keep the popular Philbin and the leadership’s recently hired incumbent DC even if it means going with a candidate whose play calling and offensive design are largely unproven.

I don’t know if the above is the case. I am not an expert on LaFleur by any means. It just seems that no one has pointed out what seems to be an equally plausible explanation as the general assumption shaping this thread, especially if, like me, one has little faith in Murphy,

January 07, 2019 at 05:35 pm

I'm dancing in my street. Heard Pettine and staff are coming back too.

January 07, 2019 at 05:38 pm

and staff? Please tell me they are retaining Zook?

Tarynfor12's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:47 pm

Being said the keeping the defensive staff was part of why he got hired...others said no....Zook'ed again?????

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:57 pm

I hope LaFleur's hire wasn't based on our front office wanting to retain Pettine. The coaching staff should be the new coach's call. Pettine made chicken soup outta chicken shit this season, but I think his retention shouldn't be a requirement for choosing a HC.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:02 pm

Dash I'm happy as hell that it looks like Pettine will be back and I thought you would be too, even if it wasn't a pairing with Rex. LaFleur has no reason to keep Zook around as special teams was just awful. The defense improve substantially in several areas under Pettine and should continue to get even better.

January 07, 2019 at 06:14 pm

I'm effing around mostly on this having a great time Rak. I did make a post on it just a bit ago but in all seriousness I am extremely happy that Pettine is staying if this is true. I'll give LeFleur a chance since he loves Tim Boyle. I do feel bad for Old School though. His theory appears to have not come true.

Leatherhead's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:37 pm

Yeah, this really caught me by surprise, no doubt. I still think Philbin had a much better resume, but then again, I thought we should have drafted Lamar Jackson last year and kept Nelson and unloaded Cobb.

So Gutekunst and I don't always think alike.

Best of luck to LaFleur. People aren't going to be happy if we miss the playoffs a 3rd straight year, and Gutekunst's stewardship could be a short one if this doesn't work out fairly quickly.

Free agent's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:19 pm

Murphy’s ass is on the line as well. I’ll raise a glass to a quick turnaround and 11-5 record next season.

January 07, 2019 at 07:33 pm

Old School, don't be so down on yourself. Everything you said made perfect sense. Now we have to rely on a Frenchmen to lead us to victory. I would personally prefer an Italian or another Mc Irish head coach but that's just me. We'll just have to La wait and La see.

LaDash

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:17 pm

Maybe he's just cajun and not actually french? LOL

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:30 pm

Old School, he’ll have at least a one year honeymoon to show that the Packers are trending back in the right direction, especially given the current state of our roster. I hope his S&C staff can help keep the players healthy and not strain our tenuous depth.

Gort's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:48 pm

Dash, I saw your first post just a little while ago and it had 26 dislikes!
Nicely done - not sure if that's a record, but nicely done!

January 07, 2019 at 11:17 pm

You're welcome Gort. I knew going in LaFailure would not sit well but I had to do it Gort... The record means more to me than likes. I can see why Rodgers wanted to play those final two games now.

Dash

jeepingmakooi's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:06 pm

Zook is special teams... Not defense not.is he part of the defensive staff

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:14 pm

Dash Riprock said: "and staff? Please tell me they are retaining Zook?

The Packers have openings for Titletown Park Attendants.

January 07, 2019 at 06:18 pm

staff schmaff. I was in a hurry like Fastmoving and read it quickly thinking they were retaining pretty much everybody. Either way i hope they retain Zook. He's a nice guy from what I understand. People deserve 2nd, 3rd and sometimes even 4th chances. How many is Zook on?

JerseyAl's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:33 pm

not everyone is getting your sarcasm, Dash...

January 07, 2019 at 06:48 pm

Sign of the times Al. You try to have a good time during this exciting time and 3/4 of the people are on a different planet. That's ok, I'm fine with it. Oppy even got killed for showing up early. haha

Gort's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:52 pm

Maybe you should change your name to Dash Incredible.
You are just too fast for some of us!

4thand1's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:36 pm

Too many Dash

January 07, 2019 at 06:41 pm

This is a marriage. Full of magic and knowledge. I think Murphy did an excellent job. Your getting Pettine back. Your getting someone who can help Rodgers. I feel sad for all of you that think you know better. You put your own fantasy ahead of common sense. The packers had don Capers. Two losing seasons. Didn't beat a division team this year. Had problems between MM and Rodgers. This guy is not Darth Vadar. He's had success everywhere. It's his time. Move -on!

January 07, 2019 at 08:29 pm

" Didn't beat a division team this year."

Not even Chicago week 1?

Houndog's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:59 pm

January 07, 2019 at 04:14 pm

Dash Riprock said: "and staff? Please tell me they are retaining Zook?

JimR_in_SoCal says:
The Packers have openings for Titletown Park Attendants.

OK, Great! They can use Zook as one of the pylons at the bottom of the sledding hill.

January 07, 2019 at 07:03 pm

@Dash- Janis will be the new Special Teams coach. (Saginaw alumni )

January 07, 2019 at 07:19 pm

Janis needs to be signed and immediately gain 25 more lbs and become a pro bowl speedy tight end. If only Aaron could solve his "trust" issues that is the problem. I never asked but does LeFleur have a degree in psychology or psychiatry? That might have been the one thing that put him over the top. Someone check into that for me. Thanks

January 07, 2019 at 08:30 pm

Because weight was the reason why he couldn't run a route or adjust one?

Tundraboy's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Good one dobber. Short and to the point as always.

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:30 pm

I'm with ya on this... I'm a dancing fool right now.
I didn't think Murph had the guts to do the "radical" hire. I thought he'd play it safe... But they're getting a GREAT offensive mind!

And as a D guy myself, the retention of Pettine is the chesse on my burger!
And bacon... can't forget bacon..

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:40 pm

Wash it down with a spotted cow Coach JV!

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:33 pm

Hehehe... good one!

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 07:00 am

Going all the way back to Dash’s remark about keeping Pettine’s staff meaning Zook would be retained:

As far as I understand it, DCs generally are not responsible for the ST coordinator and ST play. I certainly did not understand Pettine to be in GB.

As such, I don’t see any remark that would suggest that Zook or his staff are part of the future plans. Personally, I am thankful for that. We need a complete clear out in that area in my view.

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:16 pm

Best wishes for your success, Coach LaFleur.

LeotisHarris's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:38 pm

Guy Lafleur, yes. Matt? I dunno.

I would have enjoyed a few more days to bask in the glory of the Fabulous Double Doink of 2019, but what the heck. I feel better about him than McDaniels, and good to see Pettine and crew will stay.

Mojo's picture

January 07, 2019 at 11:15 pm

You can still enjoy the Double Doink for the entire off-season. I know I will.

Pack12's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:39 pm

It would be a good idea to give LaFleur a chance to see what he can do. I'm sure Ram fans were asking themselves Sean who when McVay was hired. Welcome to Green Bay Matt LaFleur!

Swisch's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:07 pm

I wonder what Packer fans were saying when Lombardi was hired?
It's tough to assess these assistants as potential head coaches, I hope the front office received a lot of sincere and insightful references from players and coaches.
That LaFleur was hired so quickly may be a good sign that his overall package of attributes was impressive, including his personal presence and his plans for Packers success.
Perhaps he could have had more experience as an offensive coordinator, but then again, maybe the time to hire him was now.
For whatever reasons, at least for now, I'm excited about LaFleur and the future of the Packers.
Perhaps some offensive innovation is on the way; more of a run game; a leader who is firmly in charge but can also relate to the players with a measure of flexibility; someone not threatened by Pettine remaining, or too egotistical about picking his own defensive coordinator...
We'll see, but I'm hopeful.

Altered Idol's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:45 pm

Whoever the Packers appointed was going to have his detractors but I think its a pretty good hire. Won't claim to be an expert on him by any means but he worked with Matt Ryan and Jared Goff during good years for them.

I wasn't really for or against any of the candidates, though had obvious reservations about McDaniels given what went on with the Colts. Keeping Pettine is a good move and with a solid draft and some moves in free agency, I'm optimistic.

One thing I will say, the Packers Front Office haven't gone safe or conservative with this choice. They've picked a promising offensive-minded coach and that to me is intriguing.

Swisch's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:49 pm

I think your comment, Altered Idol, reflects a lot of what I'm thinking and feeling. Never heard of LaFleur before, but he seems like one of the up-and-comers with good results in prior positions as an assistant.
It's interesting that he has seemingly worked well with Ryan and Goff in avant-garde passing offenses, yet also likes the run. Presumably, he'll call more passes with the Packers than with the Titans, but it seems we would do well with more emphasis on the run game.
I'm curious about Trent Dilfer's comment that seems to say LaFleur is much the way McCarthy used to be. I wonder what that means?

Mojo's picture

January 07, 2019 at 11:27 pm

Agree Altered Idol with your comments especially the part about it doesn't matter who was selected, there's going to be detractors.

sonomaca's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:47 pm

Wonder what happened with McDaniels?

January 07, 2019 at 05:52 pm

He got Pepe LaFleured.

marpag1's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:06 pm

I heard a report that referred to "his my way or the highway" job interview. So if being an untrustworthy jackass wasn't enough, maybe that was the tipping point.

sonomaca's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:38 pm

No one really knows about McDaniels interview. I’m guessing they didn’t think he’d get along with Rodgers.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:38 pm

For all we know they liked JM but they just liked LaFleur more.

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 07:08 am

I think McD has as many questions about his personality and temperament as LaFleur and others have about their overall head coaching capabilities. I do not see McD as a sure bet to make the next step again, particularly without a dominant leader (elsewhere owner).

There were questions about all the candidates except those who were underwhelming retreads in my view. No idea if we made the right choice or an internally easy one. But I have no reason to point to to say we did not.

Here is to hoping for new ideas and galvanizing leadership! Go LaFleur: Go Pack Go!

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:44 pm

Without doubt... and I'm betting he couldn't come up with a staff who'd work for him after the Indy debacle.

Gort's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:56 pm

I think McFibber offered the job to himself yesterday then changed his mind this morning.

ricky's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:48 pm

When I first saw his picture, I thought it was Rodgers. And that is the key to everything- will AR buy into the new coaching strategy? If not, get ready for a rocky ride.

LeotisHarris's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:02 pm

When I saw the photo posted here, I thought they'd hired Bon Iver drummer Sean Carey. That would have been a reach. Tremendously talented musician, terrible choice for HC.

D.D.Driver's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:45 pm

Yeah...but he would be great at establishing tempo.

The TKstinator's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:20 pm

Bazinga!

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 07:09 am

Lol, rhythm passing game

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

January 08, 2019 at 08:38 am

Deadpool.

CDC Dave Retired's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:50 pm

Absolutely horrible.
What's the rush!
Why not wait until after the Super Bowl.
So he OKs management to keep Pettine as DC. As far as I'm concerned our defense still sucked.
Now we will never know what other potential coaches
could have been interviewed like Eric Beineimy.
Management dictates before he is hired: what happens after he's hired?
As Deputy Sheriff Barney Fife once stated: act in haste repent in leisure.

Rak47's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:00 pm

Wait until after the SB and let their top choice for HC land a job with one of the other 7 teams in need of a HC. Sounds like a move Mike Brown would make in Cincy looking to get the cheapest coach he can hire.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:28 pm

This is nothing more than a safe pick , typical Packer mind set . Hire a good company man . And keep Pettine ? He comes from how many winning organizations ? The defense was awful ! Just remember the guys they didn't hire and how their careers fare in the next 5 to 10 years . Back to the 70's and 80's mind set .

January 08, 2019 at 01:08 am

Cancel that mead.

Dash

LeotisHarris's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Dave, I think you could have driven your point home more efficiently with a quote from Floyd the Barber.

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:51 pm

Lefleur must have wowed, also Monken was close to an offer as well. The Packers want no part of McDaniels after the interview.

GVPacker's picture

January 08, 2019 at 01:02 am

I'm guessing McDaniels wore the visor during the interview and that was the reason he didn't get the job!

Bure9620's picture

January 08, 2019 at 04:26 am

Visor+fanny pack= amazing

Bure9620's picture

January 07, 2019 at 05:59 pm

Whelp we will have an offense from this century, that I know.

IshpemingPackAttack's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:00 pm

I am OK with this hire. Now lets get some more players that have a mean streak and love to play the game of football!!!

Hematite's picture

January 08, 2019 at 05:28 am

Wow, great to have another Packers fan from Ishpeming on here!

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:39 pm

This works for me. I have heard nothing but good things about him. And I really like keeping Pettine.

Now off to watch all of the Titans games, and read all thebTitans blogs.

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:07 pm

I love Ben Fennell's comment, in Jersey Al's article, above:

"2018 Run Percentage...

TEN: 48.4% (2nd)
GB: 32.5% (32nd)

Get loose @Showtyme_33"

sonomaca's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:41 pm

So, are we looking for s big, bruising back, like TN? Ingram, perhaps.

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 07:42 pm

No way... he will help A-Aron #33 unleash. I see our running game actually being one of the strongest in football now.

Swisch's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:18 pm

I'd like to see the Packers draft a scatback like Tarik Cohen and Darren Sproles to help in the backfield and with kick returns. It seems we rarely, if ever have, this kind of shifty speedster to add excitement and yardage to our teams.
Anyone remember Terry Metcalf?
A waterbug scatback to go along with a power runner in Jamaal Williams, both of them complementing a rising star in Aaron Jones -- sounds scintillating!

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:34 pm

Scintillating... I always liked that word. So rarely have the opportunity to use it in a sentence.

I agree that a quick little scatback would be a helpful addition. Especially - as you mention - if he can return kicks/punts. I can't even remember our last Return for TD.

Irish_Cheesehead's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:46 pm

Terry Metcalf! lol Dude, you are as old as I am!

Swisch's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:55 pm

From when the Cardinals were in St. Louis, but at least not from when they were in Chicago.
I can't really remember, but my fondness for Metcalf may have something to do with him tormenting the Cowboys in the 1970s.

holmesmd's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Uummm, we have one. His name is Aaron Jones. LoL

Swisch's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:36 am

Huge fan of Aaron Jones, but somehow he doesn't seem to fit the profile of scatback. I'm hoping for stardom from him next season, but he doesn't seem to have quite the quick elusiveness that I'm looking for.
To me, a scatback is likely even a little smaller, and is a little more like lightning. That kind of guy could also be a wide receiver, such as Taylor Gabriel.

Johnblood27's picture

January 08, 2019 at 01:48 am

I will save the scatology quips for our special teams play...

Coldworld's picture

January 08, 2019 at 07:16 am

I am not so sure about a scat back. I am just hopeful that we use Williams and Jones effectively. Williams particularly is a good receiving back in my view.

We do need a kick returner. If we can find a good one who can stay healthy I would take him whether he plays RB, CB, WR or whatever. Given that I have a low expectation of the chance of that player becoming a starter outside special teams, what his notional position is seems unimportant in comparison to talent and durability.

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 08, 2019 at 07:30 am

The guy we have that fits that description Swisch is Trevor Davis. Who knows if he'll even be a Packer in 2019.

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:07 pm

WOOOOOO!!!!!! YES!!!!!

Lefleur will not disappoint. I have been in this guy's corner all along! The football gods are smiling on us!!!!

Chris Vachio's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:08 pm

I'm just thankful we can finally stop with the insane Josh McDaniels lovefest now. Never understood the fascination with him.

Jonathan Spader's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:43 pm

It was the visor Chris.

Nick Perry's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:38 pm

Really? He's been there coaching for all 5 of New England's SB titles. He was the OC of the 2007 team that went 18-1 and coached the Pats to a 11-5 record when Brady was injured that season week one. He has TON of experience which can't be overlooked.

I mean common, the guy has a great offensive mind. Hopefully our new HC isn't in over his head cuz he has zero experience to draw from.

Chris Vachio's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:50 pm

The offense in NE has been about the same since Belicheck took over. Remember how everyone thought Charlie Weis was the greatest offensive mind ever because of NE's offensive success? Notice how the NE offense didn't miss a beat when McDaniels went to Denver...and how O'Brien led them to team records in offense while McDaniels was gone. He's not the reason that offense is so potent. If he leaves this year or somewhere down the road, that offense will be just fine without him.

January 07, 2019 at 08:55 pm

Nick, I think it was the late John Kirk who said to watch for the word "fit". I think he was probably dead on with this. I agree McDaniels clearly had the best results out of them all but the Packers were looking for the perfect clean cut young guy fit for Green Bay. LaFleur was the guy it seems. McDaniels was not the image and fit GB top brass was looking for. He's perceived as a rebel with a bad "tone" that can be a troublemakers plus he wears a visor meaning he's trying to hide something. I only wish I could hear what Kirk's final take on this was. Sad he left before the big one. Why did he leave? WTF happened or who pissed him off?

January 07, 2019 at 09:14 pm

He'd said a week or so ago that if the Packers picked Philbin, Campbell or LaFleur, he would renounce his Packers fandom and become a Browns fan. In his words, he was 'bracing' for a bad-news announcement.

January 07, 2019 at 11:35 pm

Wow dobber, I didn't know that. I am assuming you are telling the truth. Well if Kirk didn't like the pick of LaFleur that's not good folks. This guy has been spot on the money. Worse yet we lost him to Cleveland and Al didn't even get compensated. I am at a loss. This is not a good day.

I just hope Kirk can come back for a day to vent. I honestly would like to hear what this guy had to say. He was on another level than all of us.

LeotisHarris's picture

January 08, 2019 at 07:00 pm

Christ, dobber, I wasn't prepared for this news. Permission to take a knee?

Okay, just caught off guard by the threat of renunciation coupled with a vision of Kirk bracing. For anything. Sweet Jeebus, free my mind from this atrocity!

Was The Renunciation televised? I'll check the WLUK website.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

January 07, 2019 at 09:35 pm

Yeah but Nick he's not a nice guy !! That's not the Packer way .

January 07, 2019 at 09:42 pm

He'll have at least one assistant (Pettine) with experience as a HC to lean on.

Swigganz's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:08 pm

I'm excited to see who he adds to the GB coaching staff.

Guam's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:08 pm

Very glad it wasn't McDaniels. Best of luck to Matt LaFleur! Go Pack Go

johngalt's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:18 pm

Agreed

Lare's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:09 pm

Good to see them hire a young up-and-coming star in the coaching ranks instead of some old retread.

Let's start getting this team turned around!!!

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:21 pm

LaFleur can do it... I'd bet my favorite piece of Packer-warez on it!

marpag1's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:09 pm

Honestly, I doubt that anyone on this board is at all qualified to judge the various candidates who have not yet been NFL head coaches. I certainly am not.

We'll see.

CoachJV's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:18 pm

I coach Jr. Varsity secondary... I'm no "expert", but I know a good offensive coach when I see one - and LaFleur is definitely that!

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Titans offense 27 th in NFL this year ? God help us !

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 08, 2019 at 12:10 pm

I was worried about that too. Until I looked into it more. His group made a lot of progress over the season, in spite of some serious talent and injury issues.

January 07, 2019 at 06:21 pm

If there is anyone qualified I am pretty sure it's John Kirk. I guess we have to wait and see what he has to say.

Lare's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:24 pm

Dash, every post making it an airport.

LeotisHarris's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:54 pm

Dash, a lot of people are saying Jersey Al has purchased additional servers to handle Kirk's response to this hire, and the ensuing surge in traffic to CHTV.

January 07, 2019 at 07:23 pm

It is rather exciting isn't it Leotis? Everyone has responded to this hiring for the most part except for John Kirk. It's almost as exciting as waiting for the speech on the wall tomorrow night. I hope Kirk goes before the President.

fastmoving's picture

January 08, 2019 at 01:23 am

first "Journalist" now "President".

man, your killing it today. Put. trolls in full force

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

January 07, 2019 at 08:34 pm

That was fricking funny!

Gort's picture

January 07, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Beat that dead horse!

PAPackerbacker's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:13 pm

Now that the new coach is hired I hope he can bring success back to Green Bay. Matt LaFleur is a solid choice as were others that interviewed for the HC job. I was a little surprised at the choice, but not disappointed. Will be interesting to see the other changes, if any, at the coaching positions. He must have made a lasting impression to be hired without offering any second interviews to the other candidates. I wish him nothing but the best as the new coach of the Green Bay Packers.

johngalt's picture

January 07, 2019 at 06:17 pm

The last stat showcasing titans vs packers run plays says a lot. Curious who the O staff will be. Looks to be a solid selection though.