Packers Select Devonte Wyatt, Defensive Tackle in 2022 NFL Draft - Round 1

With the 28th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers have selected Georgia Defensive Tackle Devonte Wyatt.

Devonte Wyatt, Georgia, Defensive Tackle

MEASURABLES/PRO DAY:

6-foot-3 304 pounds; 4.77 40-yard dash; 29-inch vertical jump; 111-inch broad jump

CAREER NOTES:

Wyatt was a four-star prospect from Decatur, Georgia. He went to Hutchinson Community College in 2017 and posted 30 tackles, 4.5 for loss and three sacks. Wyatt played in 12 games as a reserve in 2018 (19 tackles, 1.5 sacks) and played in 13 games with one start in 2019 (30 tackles, 1.5 for loss). He became a full-time starter in 2020, recording 25 tackles and two for loss in 10 games. He burst onto the scene as a first-team All-SEC selection to lead the Bulldogs' national title run in 2021 (39 tackles, seven for loss with 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles in 14 starts).

NFL SCOUTING REPORT:

Highly active defensive tackle with decent strength. Wyatt is made for movement and disruptions. He helped himself in 2021 with better tape both against the run and as a pass rusher. His lateral quickness is useful in beating zone blocks and in sliding across the front in a game-based pass rush. Wyatt has adequate strength but struggles to withstand a second blocker. The traits are average, but the effort is consistent and Wyatt should fit nicely as a rotational, gap-seeking three-technique with disruptive flashes.

FIT WITH THE PACKERS:

Wyatt has all the traits to be a solid player next to Kenny Clark on the interior of this Packers defensive line. He has shown flashes in both the run and pass rushing game, so Joe Barry can feel comfortable keeping him out there in any situation. Although his true calling would be at the three-technique position, Wyatt could play as a nose tackle or kick out to a five-tech. Wyatt will take some pressure off Clark, which is much-needed for that position group. Has weaknesses, but can be a good contributor for the Packers right away.

COMMENTARY

Brian Gutekunst decided to shake things up and draft defense with both of the first round picks this year. It's clear that the top wide receivers that the organization valued were no longer on the board by the time pick No. 22 rolled around... and the front office wasn't going to compromise by taking a player ahead of where the Packers had them on the draft board. If the two 2022 defensive selections from Georgia pan out like last year's defensive selection from Georgia (Eric Stokes), then Wyatt will fit in nicely with Joe Barry's unit in year one.

__________________________

Gunnar Davis is a lifelong Packers fan and a recent graduate of Simpson College, where he was a 3-year letterwinner on the offensive line and graduated with a degree in multimedia communications. You can follow him on Twitter at @Gunnar57Davis.

April 28, 2022 at 10:30 pm

If he can keep himself out of trouble, he's a really good pick. Immediately steps into the Keke void.

Was meh on Walker, but really like this pick (if they're sure his background checks out). I don't think anyone has a big problem with these two picks if you flip 22 and 28.

Defense got meaningfully better today.

...I still would've rather had Jermaine Johnson at 22... ;)

Looking for two pass-catchers and an OL on Day 2.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:34 pm

I'm curious why Johnson dropped--The Packers weren't the only team who didn't pick him.

April 28, 2022 at 10:43 pm

1 trick pony.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:57 am

I have to agree. He’s a 250 pound guy. Clay Matthews weight approximately. They went with a 300 pound DL when they picked. I think that suggests different priorities.

Johnson is a light edge player who didn’t test for agility for reasons unclear and is seen as surprisingly stiff for a smaller man at the position. He is a candidate to add mass, but that may well add to his lack of bend. I’m actually happy we passed on him. He’s the kind of tweener player who may struggle. He’s not been an OLB but played all over the DL. In college an athlete of his ability can do that at his size. In the NFL not so much. He’d be a 3rd down type at best initially as a DL I think. I’m happy we passed on him in the first.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Not very stout setting the edge! I have always like Bonitto a little better than Jermaine.

April 28, 2022 at 11:48 pm

I like Bonitto too but I'm guessing they consider him a little small. Barry should point out Leonard Floyd weighs 240 lbs!

April 29, 2022 at 12:05 pm

Guys for round three; Bonitto, DeAngelo Malone( my guy), Gunter should not be over-looked....

April 29, 2022 at 01:40 pm

I think Paschal or Cam Thomas might really help the direction Barry might be going in. Walker had 50 snaps at Edge last year. They might be thinking of using him occasionally as a speed rusher.

MainePackFan's picture

April 29, 2022 at 01:06 pm

There are plenty more edge prospects left in this draft.

April 28, 2022 at 11:46 pm

I wouldn't pick an Edge in the 1st round that didn't run agility drills without a good reason.

PhantomII's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:49 pm

He's a lot better than Keke and will start next to Clark and rotate with Lowry. He's gonna play quality snaps.
GB was ridiculed for the #22 pick on the draft program I watched. Maybe McDuffie was the pick instead and was sniped away. Regardless his hilights were not bad. The Georgia Defense had playmakers everywhere so that sure helps all. I say we improved with quality rotational pieces at minimum. The run on the WR's cut to the bone. We will see if Gute can move up to get something in the 2nd RD. Hopefully Watson/ Pierce or Skyy now. Gute was patient.....I don't think he can wait in the next round though.....at least for a WR and I'm okay with moving up for a good Safety as well. AR will be drinking Scotch from the bottle tonight....LOL. GPG

April 28, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Wyatt should beat Lowry out for reps. He cannot sit and wait for WRs at #53, move up to the 30s.

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:51 am

Lowry just had a career year. Hes not getting beat out by a rookie. Wyatt was picked to be Kenny Clark's replacement next year when his salary explodes to over $20 million. This is it for Clark then its Wyatt's time. Sure Wyatt will get reps, but i dount he starts unless someone gets hurt.

April 29, 2022 at 05:07 am

I bet you can say bye bye to Lowry getting a lot of snaps at 3T. Thank goodness.

HawkPacker's picture

April 29, 2022 at 06:11 am

I think you can say bye bye to Lowry after June 1. That will improve their CAP and I think they will bring in another veteran WR that is available at that time.

April 29, 2022 at 11:10 am

He could double down, snag Logan Hall and completely rebuild the Front.

MainePackFan's picture

April 29, 2022 at 01:08 pm

at the very least, they will have to move into the 40's

April 28, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Long term plan, Phantomll.

Barry wanted to use LB pairings like Quarles/Brooks in TB, Willis /Bowman in SF. Both entirely dominant for years. They planned same for Walker/Campbell. Wyatt the cherry on top to keep them clean.

HawkPacker's picture

April 29, 2022 at 06:13 am

I am very excited about the improvement to the defense and think they will add a good safety and edge soon.

Reghamster's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:11 pm

I like that the Pack went with defense not only because there was such a run on WRs early but because defense does win championships . I think they.must have thought that among edge rushers Johnson may not he so much higher than some others and that Walker was someone with all the intangibles at his position. Wyatt outside of domestic issues looks like a future 10 year starter so a good tandem to improve the defense. Time will tell. I am sure they will look towards an edge , a Wr , OL and safety / db or perhaps a high rated TE among the next 4 rounds. Nice to see they could get a couple quality defensive players without moving up. A lot to be said for recruiting from perhaps the best defense in the country . On that topic UW was pretty good as well so Chenal and Raburn out there down the line . I expect the Pack will try to get Reid or Pickens and Lucas and Woods among the next picks . We will see . We like 31 other teams are better . LOL

HawkPacker's picture

April 29, 2022 at 06:14 am

I like the way you think Reg however, with the pick at 22, I don't think they will want Chenal.

Reghamster's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:11 pm

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 12:36 am

D just looked better value at that point to me. They got the ILB type they wanted clearly. Very happy we went DL while there was talent available. I can easily live with not getting the receivers taken already honestly. The more I look the more I see talent deeper than most seem to and I think we avoided some big question early pick WRs.

May 01, 2022 at 08:43 am

Spot on.

Rossonero's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:16 pm

Oh man, I wanted Johnson at #22 as well, especially with the loss of Z'Darius Smith. That's just a premium position ,and the Packers haven't valued ILB at all for nearly the past 20 years (not since maybe Hawk was taken in the '06 draft).

April 28, 2022 at 11:59 pm

I think they feel Walker could play OLBer too. At least in a pinch. He's just a bit lighter than Gary, but he's faster too.

Oppy's picture

April 29, 2022 at 12:24 am

If you're talking about Rashan Gary... Gary is roughly 40 lbs heavier than Walker. 278 vs. 241...?

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:27 am

He’s sudden enough. Fast with burst, but he’s too small to play OLB except as a situational speed rusher/coverage type in our scheme. I could see him being used to rush the passer, but more likely from the middle primarily.

April 29, 2022 at 11:14 am

He can blitz off the tackles with ease. They want More Stunting up front, more quickness. Dom has left the building...Pettine , a lost in space guy. Dr Do-Little.

Gee's picture

April 29, 2022 at 01:09 pm

Been hearing since the pick how Walker maybe the best ilb at rushing the passer from the middle. This could be another reason, they liked him cause we all know most qbs hate pressure up the middle more than anywhere else.

HawkPacker's picture

April 29, 2022 at 06:17 am

Must have been the quality of the player at both positions. I wanted Johnson as well and was shocked they did not pick him and then realized that a lot of teams passed on him early so his value was not as high as some of the experts. We see that every year.

May 01, 2022 at 08:55 am

No doubt, Hawk. This looked to be one of Gutekunst’s most disciplined rides through a draft, ever. Even with his trade up for Watson. BAM! Done. That happened so fast, and he had been working on that trade for a while.

His next pick? Sean Rhyan, a player most here felt an impossibility early in the draft discussions months ago. Rhyan looks to me like our starting RT for the next decade, and could easily slide to starting LT should need be.

With the 93rd pick….

Gutey worked the course like Woods at Augusta in his prime. That was my takeaway, in the moment, as each player was selected.

“Nice shot, man!” No big misses.

HawkPacker's picture

May 01, 2022 at 12:33 pm

yeah, very hopeful for Rhyan. That really gives us so many possibilities at offensive tackle now with Jenkins coming back and Nijman upping his game as well. Not sure if the other OL draftees will be interior or would also have much of a shot at tackle.

wiremans12's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:41 pm

This draft will not help us one bit .

April 29, 2022 at 12:10 am

Yeah, I can see how you'd think that. You must be a bares fan huh? Lol

Two great defenders off the National Champion Georgia Bulldogs will not help us one bit.

SMH

April 28, 2022 at 11:52 pm

It freaks me out that he's only two and a half years younger than Clark and Clark has been in the league for 6 years!

April 29, 2022 at 12:10 am

So, you're saying he's mature. Great!

April 29, 2022 at 12:30 am

He's definitely had time in an NFL weight room! I bet they put the Bengals weight room to shame.

Reghamster's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Well Dobbers and Rodgers liked both picks. Something must be right about them. I am glad that Gute listened to Barry . He has had his ear bent toward ls La Fleur is in essence an offensive minded coach. We do need a good D as Rodgers says " Defnense wins championships " . 2 solid picks and also long term players in the NFL . We will focus on the offense for sure in the next few rounds with WRS , OL , a Te perhaps with a defensive SafetY/ Db somewhere and / or a good Edge . Nice that GB didn't reac this round in the 1st round . Here coming up is the time to do it. Maybe get 8 or 9 total picks with a few trades to get a few higher picks with a few added 4th round picks next year . And a few good quality NDFAs to help the STs and all is good.

Reghamster's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Cubbygold's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Love these two picks, given how the draft played out. A healthy 23, and now you're going to surround KC with a few more threats... this is going to be fun.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:58 pm

With ya Chubby!

wiremans12's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:43 pm

Your clueless FAN or a relative of the GM .

wiremans12's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:43 pm

Your clueless FAN or a relative of the GM .

Oppy's picture

April 29, 2022 at 12:26 am

Speaking of relative of the GM, I have it on good authority that you call Gutekunst "daddy".

ImaPayne's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Analyst said this guy is a beast. Will give the packers more needed push on defense. Sounds pretty decent,. He is more then just a run stuffer.

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:48 am

Run defense is actually his weakness. But man can he get after quarterbacks. A rare trait for interior dlinemen.

April 29, 2022 at 04:30 am

I wouldn’t be surprised to see another DT added to WR, EDGE, or CB tonight.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see RB, OT, OG, TE or S added tonight.

OK. I’m ready.

I hope you enjoyed my TED Talk…. “I got siz-zle…”

MarkinMadison's picture

April 29, 2022 at 05:02 am

He is exactly what the DL coach said they needed pre-draft: someone to add a little juice to the pass rush from the inside. I was look at Wyatt, P. Mathis and Butler as 3-techs who fit that bill. I leaned towards P. Mathis but Wyatt was definitely rated higher by most.

April 29, 2022 at 05:11 am

Uh, he had 6 sacks in 4 years?

April 29, 2022 at 11:19 am

Wyatt is in constant motion 2 to 6 tech. He was the real alpha dog for the first layer of their defense, Quay Walker controlled tier two and Cine took care of the top.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:23 am

He’s actually pretty good in the run game, so weakness is a relative concept here.

April 28, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Get a WR, OLB, and S tomorrow and we're golden!

April 28, 2022 at 11:03 pm

Two wides and an OT.

blondy45's picture

April 29, 2022 at 07:58 am

I like both Defensive picks. I did not have Quay rated as a first-round selection. I was unsure of Devonte's domestic problems too. As usual, hindsight is always clearer. I was hoping for a Lewis Cine-Arnold Ebiketie first round combo. When I opened my mind to see the logic Gute saw, the WR's were long gone. I was very much pleased with both the positions drafted & the players who filled them. It was great that DL was addressed early in this draft. After the top 3-4 DL prospects, the talent falls off dramatically. The young stud ILB is such a great sight to see. The Pack has not invested a prime pick at the LB position for YEARS. Edge, OTS, WRS, Safety, and TE are holes yet to be filled. That is about 7 needs the Pack can shore up. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Pack has the ammunition to plug holes. Looking at the brightest side, Thanks to Gute who DID hold his water and did not trade up. Did you see what teams paid to trade up in a draft class loaded with quality? AMAZING!

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:36 pm

Gute keeping us all off-balance as usual! :-D
"Hmm...I'll take a young, inexperienced ILB first, then I'll take an old DL second." It's really out-of-character for BG to take a 24 year old; he must REALLY like Wyatt.

I was as surprised as anyone (With my Big Board, I took Devin Lloyd 22 and Daxton Hill 28), but I'm completely on board with making the defense great. I won't be surprised if one of the second-round picks is a safety, just to finish the D roster.

After Walker I thought he'd take Pickens, but I'm good with Wyatt. I felt much better after hearing more details about Wyatt's altercation--kicking a door is very different than roughing up a person.

April 28, 2022 at 10:38 pm

You saw the run on Wrs. Dotson was the only surprise. But Gutey made a big mistake. Nobody is praising the packer picks. Hmmm.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:49 pm

I think Wyatt is a great pick, and my first choice was Lloyd--who BG clearly thought wasn't as good a choice as Walker. the fact that Nakobe Dean and Lloyd and Jermaine Johnson were all available and similar types, tells me BG BELIEVED in his/their analysis. Walker is only 21, so I think he sees him as a long-term star on the defense. He's fast enough and good in coverage to even be that 3-down player who removes the need for a "STAR" DB. That's what I wanted Dean for, but I think BG thinks Walker will be even better at that.

April 28, 2022 at 10:56 pm

walker was a reach. But his speed was needed. Wyatt replaces Ke Ke. I know Travis Jones will make The All -Rookie team. And Wyatt won't.

April 28, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Psychic?

April 29, 2022 at 12:12 am

You misspelled Psycho... ; )

April 29, 2022 at 02:22 am

I think Quay was a reach. Sometimes reaches end up working out. Don't confuse reaching with the actual result. I guess we use different definitions.

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:47 am

Think of Walker as a piece of clay and Joe Barry the artist. Just like Mike Smith took a raw piece of clay named Rashan Gary and turned him into a work of art, so too will Barry do the same with Walker. In the not so distant future, people are gonna wonder why the hell this kid to the packers.

May 01, 2022 at 09:03 am

As an artist, I can vouch for using the best materials, the best tools to get the job done right. I like it, RTS. Agree.

April 29, 2022 at 11:31 am

I like a one guy (Wyatt) to the D @ #22 and the WR with the #28. Now he has to hit it in round two.

MainePackFan's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:49 pm

He was a reach to us, but apparently not Gute. As I remember, AJ Dillon was a reach too :)

PewAuKeeFan's picture

April 29, 2022 at 12:06 am

... and you know the numbers for the next Power Ball drawing too? Or is your super-power only knowing how well football players will play in the future?

April 29, 2022 at 11:40 am

Jones is the guy to replace Clark. Very Similar, but they snagged Slaton to fill the 0-2 tech as his backup. Wyatt is a better player considering his size and 4.7 speed. He moves around like Sapp.

Gee's picture

April 29, 2022 at 01:19 pm

Man I was hoping for Jones, still BG first rounders have been good, so I'll leave it in him and FO on this one.

April 28, 2022 at 10:50 pm

"Nobody is praising the packer picks."

That's a lie. They just spent 10 minutes saying how smart Gutey was for NOT forcing a WR pick and taking BPA on the NFL Network.

Devin Lloyd might have been the highest rated ILBer by media types, but Quay Walker is bigger, much faster, and could easily play OLBer if we needed him too. Carbon copy of De'Vondre Campbell, so when Campbell leaves, we have a young guy to step right in and take over. We can actually play 2 ILBers now, instead of big nickel...

April 28, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Not Nationally on the wrap up. Yes Nagler did.

April 28, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Keep putting your faith in the fantasy driven media.

April 29, 2022 at 12:14 am

On the NFL Network they did, which is world-wide, so another lie.

April 29, 2022 at 11:46 am

Reuter gave round one an A. He had Olave and Wyatt in his mock.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:07 pm

Other teams took the top WR's before Packers just like in 2020, so instead of grabbing for need such as WR he took BPA.This was exactly what Gutey should have done and what many of us predicted happening. If he took any other WR in round 1 he significantly would have over reached.

I do think high chance Gutey tries trading up around top 8 picks in round 2 to take either Pickens, Pierce, Watson, or possibly Skyy.

April 29, 2022 at 12:03 am

As I mentioned a couple months ago regarding WR runs before we pick, “history repeats itself.” With such a week QB class, you just knew they’d get gobbled up. And, they paid dearly for those marginal players, really. Especially those who traded up to take perennial #2 & #3 WRs. No joke.

April 29, 2022 at 11:52 am

He better move UP ! Bag TWO of them.

April 28, 2022 at 11:09 pm

Two whiffs on the WR from round one. Now they will fly off the board as he sits waiting at #53. I liked Wyatt better than Davis. He can fly all over and still Bull rush like Sapp.

April 28, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Correct! Wyatt is a second Team All American. He will blow out his knee.

MainePackFan's picture

April 29, 2022 at 03:57 pm

SH, can I assume that your goal is to collect as many downvotes as possible. If so, mission accomplished ;)

Irish_Cheesehead's picture

April 29, 2022 at 09:57 am

Not that I put much stock in draft grades, but NFL.com gave the Packers an A.

HawkPacker's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:40 pm

I thought of Pickens as well and was hoping he would not select him at this point since, IMHO, he is a bit of a reach at 28. However, he will probably not be there when GB picks in the second round. I have faith in our FO. They know our situation so much better than all of us!

April 28, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Injuries and his off field problems. Walker @22 No doubt a reach.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:52 pm

I only believe someone is a "reach" if they are picked purely on need.
ILB wasn't a "need," so I see Walker as a BAP.

April 28, 2022 at 11:48 pm

527 snaps from Barnes last year. I'd say ILB was a need. Just one that GB traditionally doesn't want to scratch.

April 29, 2022 at 12:04 am

Walker played 465 snaps at off ball LB, 50 at Edge, 90 as the slot defender (TEs?) and 7 at CB. Only 3 missed tackles last year.

Really don't like Cine going to the Vikings. He's going to bring a lot of energy to that team.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 07:35 am

I liked Cine, but getting a player who is a second 3 down ILB as good in the passing game as in the run game would fix a long term weakness of our team. With a combination of him and Douglas we should have a chance to finally be able to cover in the middle.

April 29, 2022 at 12:01 pm

He is the ILB to Edge guy. Versatile guy with multiple roles. They don't have to worry about Edge until the fourth-fifth rounds. Get the Offense Mended. Two WRs, two OTs, CB or an Inline TE from #33 to 140..

April 29, 2022 at 12:05 am

TGR!!! GREAT CALL ON QUAY! Thought of you immediately. Well done, my friend!

Leatherhead's picture

April 29, 2022 at 12:59 am

You called it. If Walker is an upgrade on Barnes, then we’ve improved the defense on about 30 snaps every game. That’s substantial.

Sign Douglas and Campbell and Reed, draft Walker and Wyatt…..that’s a lot of addition to this team’s defense.

Apparently, Walker was the pick in Walter Football, too. Obviously, the Packers kept their intentions well concealed.

April 29, 2022 at 02:49 am

Sort of. Looking at just where upgrades were needed, Barnes and Henry Black leap to my mind. I had Lloyd and Dean ranked ahead of Walker in terms of being an immediate upgrade. I had Muma ranked ahead of Walker in terms of being an upgrade in 2022 as I think Muma is more pro ready.

I don't think there is a massive difference in talent between Lloyd/Dean and Walker. I do think Walker is a half-step down from them. I think Muma long-term is only another half-step down from Walker. I had Muma going in the late 2nd round. Heck, I think Asomoah and Troy Anderson both very likely would provide a significant and noticeable upgrade over Barnes. Not a big fan of Chenal, Christian Harris, or Tindall, but they all have useful attributes.

Because I think there were quite a few alternatives to Walker that work, some of whom should be there at 53, I probably would have taken Jermaine Johnson, Karlaftis, or even Cine (big upgrade over Henry Black but also allows Barry to do different things with Savage) at 22.

Then again, after the run on WRs, I imagine the picks for day two are bespoken, so to speak. There is pressure to use them on pass catchers, that is, WRs and a TE like McBride. We shall see how it goes. Maybe GB first drafts Tyquan Thornton in the 4th, or some of these WRs we fans like are going to fall further down than thought.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 07:47 am

I’m not particularly on board with your estimates of value. This guy is a young Campbell on paper, mores than any other. That was a model that worked very well for us.

Having 2 Campbell types not only helps us for depth and reducing Barnes’ snaps but also takes away a lot of the need for a third S or hybrid that should allow better run options and short area pass D. Between Douglas and Walker, that hybrid position can finally die, removing a continual weakness.

If Walker pans out, I see him and Douglas our prime central field coverage options. That’s exciting.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 29, 2022 at 04:59 pm

Oh I agree TGR, that's why I was picking ILBs in the first or second in all my mocks!
Drafting isn't just about "filling holes" (WR) it's also about upgrading mediocrity--like Barnes.

April 28, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Just keep him out of reach and move up in the second for Watson if he's there or Pierce.

April 29, 2022 at 12:56 pm

No Pick 4 "Pick."

April 28, 2022 at 11:05 pm

He has Wyatt for five years. Good value and the best of the bunch including Winfrey, Hall and Jones.

April 28, 2022 at 11:17 pm

The best DL in the entire draft at freaking 28! Unreal. Beautiful for our D, Jannes.

I’m sure his WR plans will be aggressive Day 2.

April 28, 2022 at 11:23 pm

He best show up big time and trade up.

May 01, 2022 at 09:10 am

What a call. Take a bow, Bubs. You deserve it.

April 29, 2022 at 12:05 am

Thought you didn't like the short armed guys?

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 07:29 am

It’s a clear commitment to the middle of the field defensively. An ILB with length and range who is fluid and can cover. As Dobber suggested, hopefully the end to the oversized safety concept that’s really never been very effective for us.

With Wyatt they have a guy who is sudden and has played all over the line. He’s an extremely versatile piece that I can see allowing more inventive use of Gary and Clark and a more unpredictable approach from the DL.

I didn’t have Walker being taken by us, but he’s exactly the type of ILB I thought we would look for somewhere and few have his coverage potential and tackling acumen combined. His short area metrics are better than some receivers. We took a player who has the potential legitimately help against TEs and we finally solidified the DL in a way that I think should allow us get more from our best pieces as well.

I have to say that I like these picks a lot. It’s an attempt to deal with the glaring weakness in our D. I’d have loved a S for next year but I can’t argue with fixing current weaknesses first.

I’m kind of relieved that we didn’t take a WR. All of the ones taken have questions in my mind, whereas there’s a lot of talent still out there that can fill roles adequately now and has upside. There really wasn’t a perfect prospect this year (especially if health now is a factor). I think we can get a good room from this draft without panicking.

There’s a lot of late value in this draft, not just the big names. Today will be very interesting and there is more talent on day 3 than I recall seeing. A good start.

April 28, 2022 at 11:14 pm

I couldn’t be happier. Thought Lloyd was the pick, but Joe Barry had to have told Gutekunst who he felt would be best between the two. This was a long thought out plan. I just can’t believe they pulled this off getting Wyatt to keep Walker & Campbell clean. Was hoping he’d do it after picking Walker, and he did.

April 28, 2022 at 11:25 pm

He was the better ILB candidate. The others too slow or too light in the pants. I wouldn't waste Wyatt's talent tying up blocks. Barry will show more 4-2 looks now. Forget Dom and Pettine.

April 28, 2022 at 11:33 pm

It was the 3 cone. The bull dogs had the fastest LBs in the nation.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:31 am

Having Wyatt rushing the QB from inside along with Clark collapsing the pocket is going to be so fun to watch. The Packers now have a SB worthy defense. Lots of reason for optimism!

See a WR as first selection in round 2 today. Question is do they move up to get him and what do they have to give up to get the WR. I also would not be surprised at all should they take Trey McBride, or OT with the other 2nd round selection. Round 3 either an OT, or WR.

Exciting!

April 29, 2022 at 12:28 pm

Wyatt will be coming from all over the place, a shorter Z( 4.73 and 4.74 for Preston). He had a 4.77, 40 time and the guy is 315lbs. I would use a 2023 2nd round pick and the three to move into the upper second for three picks in the round. So much talent to skim there.
All-in? Maybe we see the trade for a WR or TE this evening.

MainePackFan's picture

April 29, 2022 at 01:22 pm

Wyatt just turned 24 at the end of March, so it's not like he's an old 24 :) He comes from a big time program, and I'm sure Gute felt he would immediately contribute to this team. He's not seeing developmental in this pick.

Bure9620's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:39 pm

2 pieces from best college defense in many years....maybe ever...... I see what Gute wants and prioritizes.....An Elite Defense...Protection for Rodgers, the Run game.....Go make it work Aaron

April 28, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Draft ain't over. Let's see what Gutey does from here. We might be even happier with our defense after tomorrow. I am sure Gutey will draft a WR (sometime.) ; )

April 28, 2022 at 11:22 pm

“Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..??? Hell no!!!”

MooPack's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:32 pm

Ok, that made me laugh!

Bure9620's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:36 am

Ya, I was not one of those expecting WR.....I expect BPA.... WR are a Dime a dozen.....Seriously...I don't care if they skip the 2nd round either....

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:42 am

Exactly. Football is still a tough sport won by tough men. Let the crappy teams use all their precious draft capital on dime a dozen receivers trying to duplicate the bengals success while the Packers scoop up the dogs that slipped through the cracks. Gutekunst is beginning to remind of the way Ozzie Newsome used to draft. For many years, the Ravens always managed to find awesome defensive players late in the 1st round that shouldve gone much sooner.

Since'61's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:41 pm

This is a very good selection by the Packers. I would have taken Wyatt at 22 and Walker at 28. In any case our defense has been improved with these two picks.

With Walker and Campbell playing behind Clark and Wyatt our ILBs can be deadly against an opponents run game.

Comment on Wyatt's fit from Jersey Al's draft guide:

FIT WITH THE PACKERS:
The Green Bay Packers need to get Kenny Clark help upfront, and Wyatt has all the tools in the shed to be a perfect sidekick. Wyatt’s presence would help take some of the pressure off Clark. He could play nose tackle or kick out and play five-tech. As a rookie, Wyatt could immediately impact Green Bay’s run defense while giving their interior pass rush a much-needed shot in the arm. With his combination of speed, power, and size, Wyatt could be a disruptive force for the Packers playing alongside Clark. Wyatt could be a dark horse pick for the Packers in the first round; however, he is on the older side. He’ll be 24 years old when the NFL draft rolls around.

April 28, 2022 at 11:08 pm

I love it, Since’61!!! Finally!!!

The PACKERS actually got the #1 DL in the entire draft! AMAZING! FINALLY! The pairing with Walker is phenomenal,

Pete Dougherty called this Walker pick 45 minutes before it was made. Said Joe Barry told him he wanted to play more nickel & dime, couldn’t pull it off with Barnes… reminiscing about Shelton Quayle’s & Derrick Brooks at TB, and Willis & Bowman pairings at SF, and the impact of those pairings for years on those teams.

That’s what Barry wanted. Gutekunst gave him that with Walker & Campbell, and Wyatt/Clark up front to keep them clean to make plays. PLUG & PLAY.

PERFECT!

Since'61's picture

April 29, 2022 at 09:04 am

greengold, yes it's clear what Gute was thinking. Shore up the middle of the defense and improve the front 7 overall. We now have 2 ILBs who can play sideline to sideline. Plus we have 2 DLs who can play the run and create interior pressure on the QB.

Assuming that Alexander comes back at 100% our defense should be much improved. Hopefully we finally get off the field on those 3rd and longs that we always seem to give-up. Good draft so far. 5 rounds left and we still have 9 picks! Thanks, Since '61

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Back to RAS again for Gute.
Two guys with elite 40s, 3-cones, and broad jumps.

April 28, 2022 at 10:59 pm

I don't know about you, but I'm happy as hell. We've been wanting an investment at the LBer position for years, so Gutey goes out and drafts the best ILBer in the draft, who can also play OLBer if push comes to shove.

If you look at Rashan Gary's draft profile, they are very similar. Gary weighed 277 but other than weight they're almost the same player. Walker is a bit faster, running a 4.52 to Gary's 4.58...

Wyatt is a beast, and if Gutey is happy with him, so am I.

April 28, 2022 at 11:24 pm

Me too! I can’t believe it!

April 29, 2022 at 12:19 am

I did find it funny that the CHTV Draft Guide had Quay Walker ranked 88 though. LMAO

I will give them credit though, they had Wyatt ranked 17th... : )

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 29, 2022 at 04:49 pm

I'm VERY happy BDU! You know I was a big fan of drafting Nakobe Dean and Leo Chenal, and I see Quay Walker as a blend of both of them. I really wanted a three-down LB.

April 29, 2022 at 12:09 am

Jones was 21 lbs heavier and had a faster 3-cone.

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:38 am

Jones doesnt have Wyatt's pass rush ability. Not even close. I like Jones, but hes nothing more than a block eater. They already have TJ Slaton to grow into that role. Interior linemen with Wyatt's pass rush skills and physical traits dont come around that often.

April 29, 2022 at 05:31 am

I definitely disagree. Jones was 21 lbs heavier at the combine and had better times in both the SS and 3-cone. Not saying Wyatt is a snail or a run only guy bit he had 6 sacks in 4 years. Not exactly the number you want to see when think "quick twitch" 3T. Jones also has the length to play 5T, Wyatt will have to rely on pure power at that spot. I think Jones will be the most versatile guy among the top 5, Winfrey has the most pass rush potential. Wyatt brings it against the run and his ability to chase down RBs from behind is amazing. He's also the most ready to play of the top 5 and I think that played a major part of their decision making. He was a Senior in high school when Clark was drafted and has had 4 years in an elite football team's weight room.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:41 am

Jones is a run stuffer who might be able to develop as a power based disruptor. His first step is below average though. I like him but he’s a 0 or 1 tech not a rusher. He will bull rush some, but he’s not the flexible piece that they went for in Wyatt. Different animals, different strengths.

April 29, 2022 at 02:42 pm

Jones played four times as many snaps at 3T than he did at NT last year. He has the length to play 5T easily. I think Jones takes longer to develop, and you could say time the Packers don't have, but I think he ends up the more versatile player if he goes to a 3-4 team. I'll take the 20 lb heavier player if he's more agile any day. That's why they took Walker over Dean and Tindall.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 03:49 pm

I’m not sorry about Jones. I’d have been happy with him but I see the reason for this choice and Wyatt is good. We are lucky he fell. He will be a moving piece and he will eat into Lowry’s snaps

May 01, 2022 at 10:34 am

I was actually hoping for Wyatt 22 and Jones 28…

UdderApocowlipse's picture

April 29, 2022 at 09:17 am

Had not Slaton been drafted as a big first-step penetrating lineman instead of a Picket-type bolted-to-the-tundra anchor?

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:37 am

Theyre also absolute dogs who were key pieces of a national championship winning defense.

splitpea1's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:44 pm

I wonder if Gute has gone mad, but in a good way. It's such a shock to see the Packers finally prioritize the middle of the defense (including the Campbell re-signing) that I'm almost speechless. Wyatt will have time to develop behind Lowry and Reed, so we'll be ready when one or both depart.

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:35 am

A smart GM trusts and listens to the coaches he hires. Joe Barry is a linebacker coach by trade. This pick has Barry's fingerprints all over it. Barring injury, Quay Walker is going to become a superstar in the middle of this defense.

April 29, 2022 at 05:36 am

Wyatt IS developed. He will get more snaps at 3T in their sub packages than Lowry this year. He and Reed will get the bulk of those snaps and there's a lot of them.

AgrippaLII's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Thought they would take Jermaine Johnson at #22 but I like the Walker pick. Like the Wyatt pick too ! I'm really interested in seeing which WR Gute has had his eye on for the second round.

SCLI's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Christian Watson? Alec Pierce? Sky Moore? Jalen Tolbert? George Pickens?

My choices are Watson & Pierce

Lets not forget TE Trey McBride!

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Agreed, but don't be totally caught off guard if they draft Kahlil Shakir who may be the 2nd coming of Deebo.

April 28, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Solid choice, Knock.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 29, 2022 at 04:50 pm

Khalil! My #1 crush!

AgrippaLII's picture

April 29, 2022 at 07:43 am

My choice would be Trey McBride over the WR's that are left. I think he's a better value. But then what do I know.

SCLI's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Christian Watson? Alec Pierce? Sky Moore? Jalen Tolbert? George Pickens?

My choices are Watson & Pierce

Lets not forget TE Trey McBride!

April 29, 2022 at 01:14 pm

Get Kolar or Ruckert later on and save the draft capital. Kenny Pickett tossed the ball to Krull and Bellinger from San Diego State is also an Inline guy; fundamental TEs who block and catch.

April 28, 2022 at 11:17 pm

I thought for sure when Jermaine Johnson fell that Gutey would take him since we need a 3rd OLBer.

Maybe, he looked at Quay and said, "Quay, no matter what." Quay can play OLBer too.

Quay is 13lbs lighter than Jermaine, 1" shorter, but ran a 4.52, where Jermaine ran a 4.58, just like Gary did.

Barry can move Quay around the defense, just as he can Campbell. I really understand and like the pick.

Love the Wyatt pick. Many a couple weeks ago thought he was the best DL in the draft. I know I loved Jordan Davis, but Wyatt is a beast too.

We've all wanted a scary defense, and I think we just got scarier tonight.

April 28, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Wyatt’s lateral quicks along with his wide skill set offerings make him a generational talent. I’m stunned we got him.

April 29, 2022 at 12:12 am

Meh. Jones had better agilities at a much heavier weight. Wyatt has more time in a big college weight program and is ready to play but Jones is more versatile.

April 28, 2022 at 10:52 pm

This DL pick is a year Late. I'll bet anyone he blows his knee out. And I'm not trying to be a downer.

April 28, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Black cloud gonna black cloud.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Perfection!

April 28, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Lol. Fuckin’ A…

April 28, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Why would you even say something like that? You're worse than a downer dude.

Why can't you just be happy we got arguably the best DL in the draft? SMH

April 28, 2022 at 11:37 pm

No- I told you before the draft that he would blow out his knee . By the way Davis was picked ahead of him.

April 28, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Don't talk to me please and I won't talk to you. SMH

April 28, 2022 at 11:52 pm

: )

April 28, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Who Reed, Clark or Wyatt?

April 28, 2022 at 11:39 pm

He isn't going to start.

April 29, 2022 at 12:37 am

Should save on his knees then right?🙄

April 29, 2022 at 07:46 am

That is True. Until he starts. And will start next year, because they can't over- pay this DL.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:22 pm

So you don't have to try, being a downer just comes so naturally?

April 29, 2022 at 07:49 am

No - I'm being honest, and showing my view. Without Rodgers. We will Suck.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Impressive that you can be a downer without trying!

Spock's picture

April 29, 2022 at 12:09 am

Not trying to be a downer? Every comment you've made tonight is about "I'll bet he blows his knee out." You're Sick dude (in a bad way).

April 29, 2022 at 12:13 am

"And I'm not trying to be a downer."

What the hell would you call it??

April 29, 2022 at 07:57 am

Reality

Return_To_Sanity's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:32 am

Stockholder, if it was up to you, this team would have Rodgers and 52 receivers on it. Then you would blame Gutekunst for the defense and oline being terrible.

April 29, 2022 at 07:56 am

It's been 5 years since Gute took over. And how many DCs in Rodgers time here? And how many Guru's said get Rodgers help. Thats the argument. Of course just run the ball now. You need to notice the needs were never for Rodgers. But for the GM making the calls.

April 29, 2022 at 12:15 pm

It is a SHAMEFUL revelation echoed by every sports radio program in the Nation and on the wide world of Intranet that the inbred front office has not picked a WR with a one pick in over 20 YEARS. The only guy I would have snagged in the first beside the OSU crew would be Watson. He fits the WCO. Will they fuck up the second round?? Vegas is voting against them. We will see if he moves up to the 33-35 range for the WR or sits on his hands like a Midwest bumpkin out Tornado Hunting.

April 29, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Where does the knee bullshit sprout from? He twisted his ankle in Senior Bowl Practice. He played JUCO then four years with the Bulldogs. Do not see him sitting out games?

PackfanNY's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:52 pm

I like it. Gute didn’t reach. Shored up the middle of the defense and now still has plenty of ammunition to find some playmakers tomorrow and Saturday. The defense is looking real solid. Both these players bring a physical presence we haven’t had in some time.

No doubt he still has lots of work to fix the receiver position. If he doesn’t address it then we all should be pissed. That’s not going to happen. Let’s see how the rest of this draft plays out. I like the kid Pierce from Cincinnati. I hope that’s one of the guys we are looking at.

SCLI's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Pierce or Watson. Either one in rd 2.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:15 pm

So far Gutey is following the script I envisioned. LB and DL in round 1 though I thought it would be Edge and not ILB.

Round 2 I believe likely WR and Edge depending on how draft falls.

April 28, 2022 at 11:49 pm

If you look at Quay, I think he can play both ILBer and OLBer. Thinking that is why Gutey passed on Jermaine Johnson too.

April 29, 2022 at 12:19 am

According to PFF he was the best coverage LB Georgia had and outweighs Tindall by 20 lbs.

April 29, 2022 at 12:24 am

Well, that is definitely an added bonus as well. Seems like Gutey knows what he's doing huh?

Maybe Gutey will surprise you and draft Travis Jones for you tomorrow. That would be cool too. (Watch Gutey draft 3 WRs in the 7th round.) Lol ; )

April 29, 2022 at 02:55 am

No sweat - I got Travis Jones at 92 in one of my mocks!

April 29, 2022 at 05:53 am

If he drafted Perrion Winfrey tomorrow I'd probably get so excited I'd wet myself! I think the only other addition at DT would be a NT and I don't know how they fit one in. Maybe a 7th rounder that went to the PS?

Gee's picture

April 29, 2022 at 02:00 pm

If they somehow got Jones after all this, I'm ok winning 12-3 all year!!!

April 29, 2022 at 12:23 am

Sorry to say but I think the Vikings got the best player from that defense. I watched quite a bit of different guys on that defense and Cine always stuck out. Super fast and great instincts are a combo I didn't want to see in the NFC North if the Packers didn't draft him.

April 29, 2022 at 12:25 am

OK stockholder jr. Lol Just have to bring me down don't ya. ; )

April 29, 2022 at 05:45 am

Don't mean to. The only defense I can think of with that might match Georgia's speed was one of the early 2000s Miami teams and when you watch them Cine just looked like he had an extra gear.

April 29, 2022 at 12:46 pm

He controlled the third level. They had the key Players at every level of the D. They have two RBs I would sniff out in the 4th-6th.

April 29, 2022 at 02:57 am

Worse, I think MN fleeced Detroit pretty good. Looks to me like Detroit is going to Detroit. No chance I'd give up significant picks for Jameson Williams, and I like Williams.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:21 am

That was an example of a crush trade/pick if ever I saw one. Of course Detroit knows it has time to let him heal during their rebuild, but terrible value and questionable necessity. Someone lost their nerve obsessing and that’s not good in a GM.

April 29, 2022 at 12:52 pm

The Ford Family makes the picks from the Country Club of Detroit.

Coldworld's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:18 am

Our D got better over last year. We improved our DL options and we picked perhaps the best coverage ILB prospect in the draft and one who can genuinely tackle. The end is in sight for the hybrid or whatever you call it role. Good. This is a better solution on paper to our middle of the field issues than another S. He and Douglas, who himself is a bigger man than Cine and can tackle and cover could make a weakness a strength.

The solution is neat if it works, increases depth, options and capabilities. That’s something to be thankful for. Getting hung up in individuals is a trap. I like Cine too, but I think this solution makes us better on paper now than adding him would have.

You don’t like Wyatt, but he’s long been a consensus first rounder and possibly would have gone higher absent rumors. Again, our DL. Got better. Arguing over whether another individual would have made better ‘betterer’ is, in this case certainly debatable and ultimately fruitless. Wyatt is a good pick and fit. That’s how one should judge a draft until the careers are fleshed out. Let go of individuals. We got better on paper now. That’s a win.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 29, 2022 at 08:37 am

Bird,
Wondered about that myself!

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 28, 2022 at 11:15 pm

Round 2 I believe likely WR and Edge depending on how draft falls.

April 28, 2022 at 10:56 pm

I’m elated! FINALLY, Kenny Clark has a running mate. Together with TJ Slaton, they will be able to keep Quay Walker & De’Vondre Campbell clean to make plays.

This couldn’t have worked out better for the Packers. They will add another NT to finish the RUN STOP job. If they do, this D can vault into a Top 5. Easy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more D added, along with some other great WR/TE talents.

All those teams trading up for WR overpaid for them.

Fantastic.

April 28, 2022 at 11:21 pm

Be nice to draft WR, TE, and a Safety tomorrow. Add a developmental OT and whatever else Gutey thinks we need on Saturday.

Kevin Carpenter's picture

April 28, 2022 at 10:55 pm

Great value pick here! Kenny Clark 2.0. Imagine, finally having a versatile running mate next to Clark with two rangey, violent linebackers pursuing behind them and Gary collapsing from the edge. Not to mention Alexander, Stokes and Douglas roaming the secondary. Sheeeeesh.

April 28, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Add a 3rd Safety to Savage and Amos and watch the F out... Lol ; )