Packers Select Cornerback Jaire Alexander In 2018 NFL Draft, Round One

With their first-round pick (18th overall) in the 2018 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select Jaire Alexander, Louisville

MEASURABLES / COMBINE:

5'10" 196 lbs, 4.38 40yd, 35″ vertical, 127″ broad jump, 14 Bench Reps, 6.71 3-Cone, 3.98 20-yard shuttle

CAREER NOTES:

In 2016, Alexander intercepted five passes and breaking up nine others in 13 starts to garner second-team All-ACC honors. Alexander played in 12 games, with one start on defense (19 tackles, one interception) in his true freshman season. He's also made a name for himself as a punt returner in his first two seasons (29 returns for 223 yards in 2015, 19 returns for 195 yards in 2016), including a 69-yard return for a touchdown against ACC rival Florida State in 2016. Alexander missed about half of the 2017 season with leg and hand injuries, but managed to start six of seven games played on the year (19 tackles, one interception, four pass breakups) and was named honorable mention All-ACC.

NFL.COM DRAFT PROFILE

SCOUTING REPORT:

DRAFTSCOUT.COM: Despite being undersized, Alexander is a tough-as-nails competitor. He was able to start only five games in 2017, though, mostly due to a right knee sprain that was reinjured when he was rushed back too early. Alexander also broke a bone in his hand during practice.

CHEESEHEADTV.COM: Not a scouting report, but click the link for a piece posted earlier today about Alexander

VIDEO:

COMMENTARY:

Alexander wasn't on the radar of many in round one, but as soon as the Packers traded out of 14 and back to 27, anything was possible.  The Packers clearly like Alexander's speed and measurables.  At 5'10" he's not likely to see time on the outside but gives them a shifty slot corner and a guy who adds some much-needed speed to the Green Bay secondary.  Alexander should also see time on special teams and his speed should be an asset there.  Speaking of special teams, Alexander will push Trevor Davis for punt return duties.

Alexander doesn't have a lot of room to bulk up and add size so the Packers must see something in him that was worth coming back to 18 to make the pick.  His awareness can be an issue in coverage at times so he has the makings of a guy who needs some work.  Hopefully Tramon Williams can mentor the young corner and help him be a contributor in 2018.

-------------------

Jason is a freelance writer on staff since 2012 and also co-hosts Cheesehead TV Live, Pulse of the Pack and Pack A Day podcasts.  You can follow him on Twitter here

April 26, 2018 at 09:06 pm

Need to find out how they moved up.

Spock's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:56 pm

"Need to find out how they moved up." Yeah, why no explanation of the trade?????

jasonperone's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:25 pm

It’s all over social media by now. I posted the profile shortly after the pick and before details were reported

Spock's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:00 am

Jasonperone, Sorry to be misunderstood; that wasn't directed at you but at the talking heads on the t.v. who didn't explain the details of the trade to #18 at all!

April 27, 2018 at 09:11 am

Yeah, it was more a wondering out loud than a complaint. This post was up almost as soon as the pick was made, and I say thanks for that!

The TKstinator's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:06 pm

Mayock is Nostradamus!

April 26, 2018 at 09:09 pm

Not thrilled with the pick, though. Sam Shields 2.0?

I thought sure they jumped in ahead of Detroit to steal Landry...who the Lions will run to the podium to pick at 20.

The TKstinator's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:10 pm

Will never happen, but I’d LOVE a peek at their evaluations. Must not have loved Landry, James, or Edmunds.

April 26, 2018 at 09:15 pm

Still have that 2019 NO pick (or their own) to deal back into this draft if they want.

The TKstinator's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:20 pm

Agree. Or, package both 2019 firsts to move way up next year.
Here’s to a lot of losses in the Big Easy!

April 26, 2018 at 09:21 pm

Wow...Lions have a lousy OL, and pick a C in round 1? THey're my heroes...

The TKstinator's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:29 pm

VERY curious where GB goes in round two. Supposedly no edge rush value there. Maybe another corner? Or a receiver? Interior OL supposed to be deep...

April 26, 2018 at 09:51 pm

There are edge rushers, but not great ones or 3-down players. Stockholder will be a happy camper if the Packers nab Lorenzo Carter.

TBH...aside from Chubb, such an iffy group of edge players that maybe this was the best plan of action: if you're going to speculate on an edge rusher, why do it in round 1?

April 26, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Yes, I would be. Told you if the packers wanted Vea they would have to get ahead of WA. vea went at 12! Perfect!! But I'm still happy the packers traded down. The extra #1 works for me.

Minniman's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:11 am

Add me to the Carter fan club too dobber.

And with Vea gone, maybe a look at Maurice Hurst is in order too (if he remains on the board). Harold Landry is still on the board as well?

April 27, 2018 at 09:12 am

There's a lot of 'day 1' talent still on the board in round 2 (if you believe the draftniks), and I expect the Packers will get a shot at some of it.

Tundraboy's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Sam 2.0 was what I was thinking. Hope he's better. Passed on Edmunds, Aargh.

Lphill's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:09 pm

5 '10 corner might be good in college but I don't know about the NFL . I don't like the pick .

kevgk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:17 pm

well king is like 6'3 or something so they can still line up against tall WR

April 26, 2018 at 09:17 pm

Plenty of good, short CBs, but you're right: the deck isn't stacked in his favor.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:40 pm

Short and injured a lot.

EdsLaces's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:10 pm

He's a ball magnet. I wish we woulda stayed and got Edmunds tho ...

CJ Bauckham's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:10 pm

I think we thought we had James and goofed

The TKstinator's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:11 pm

If they really loved James they would have taken him at 14, methinks.

CJ Bauckham's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:13 pm

That's true. My thinking was as they watched him fall, they saw a chance to have their cake and eat it too.

I'm also not a fan of small corners so I'm admittedly biased at the moment. I'll come around!

The TKstinator's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:18 pm

5-10 or 5-11? I’m seeing conflicting reports.

April 26, 2018 at 09:29 pm

I think the confusion is Jaire Alexander is 5-10, the extra "1" is in next year's draft
;)

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:06 am

They didn't GOOF, because they DIDN'T need a safety!!

Bottom line, and I said this over the last couple weeks.

They needed CB and Edge rusher. They got a CB with 4.3 speed, so if he stays healthy they did very well. Quit the whining already.

April 27, 2018 at 09:15 am

So many people complaining about hybrid safeties and CB/S conversions. Neither Fitzpatrick nor James is a true CB. They drafted a true cover CB, and one who was in the conversation of being the best in the draft. Those players are always good gets.

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:24 am

Exactly dobber.....enough of the conversions already.
I was praying they weren't going to fall victim to another one of those.
They heard my prayers!! LOL

They did the right thing in my opinion, the safe thing, the logical thing.

CJ Bauckham's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:33 am

I'll make sure that when I actually do whine, you'll be the first to know. I said I'd come around, and I am. I worry about him staying healthy but he seems like a baller. The first rder next year is frosting on top.

packerfan9507's picture

February 13, 2019 at 01:38 am

Go Pack

April 26, 2018 at 10:55 pm

What do you think the present value of New Orleans' first round 2019 pick is?

The trade looks very even looking at the draft trade chart. Seems like teams downgrade future picks by a full round. If so, it means we traded back and got no premium for doing it. Everyone has been saying the value of this draft is in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and we managed to lose one of those picks, picking up a 5th and a 7th plus whatever the NO pick is worth.

Not impressive at all. No points awarded to Gute for maneuvering around in the draft. Now it comes down to talent evaluation.

Jaire Alexander needs to work out. Looks like Hughes and Josh Jackson would have been there at #27. Alexander has talent, so we shall see.

John Kirk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 11:07 pm

I agree with this TGR... A bizarre pick and an even more bizarre (and troubling) way to get there.

You have to be pretty deep into unbridled fandom to think what happened tonight was good.

Told a buddy of mine in LA right after the trade with Saints that we would probably trade back up tonight. He thought I was crazy. I also think that the craziness is far from over. Tomorrow, should be far more fun than tonight. That 1st round pick from the Saints will burn a hole in Brian's pocket. He's heard the media questions about why. He's supposedly "Aggressive" so look out Friday night. It's going to get wild. I don't see any way we pick only one time tomorrow. I'd be shocked.

Friday is the real draft day for us... Tonight, was a crappy appetizer. Let's hope main course is a little more filling and tastier.

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:08 am

So are you going to WHINE about this all day now?
They got a player they needed, with speed.

Maybe you can join the other dude whining about Ridley for the last two weeks. Get together, have a pity party?

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:06 am

I hear ya Fin... RFGM has been an a*****e for weeks ranting about Ridley... I say again, thanks Atlanta!!!!!

AlexandersAgent's picture

April 27, 2018 at 03:40 pm

You're pretty delusional aren't you. You do realize it takes two teams to make a trade right? You're focused on how we got there rather than what we got in the process. And what we got is where you should be focusing. Just think about how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

packerfan9507's picture

February 13, 2019 at 01:39 am

Go Pack

John Kirk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 11:53 pm

I like value. I don't like trading back up decreasing the overall net value.

The Jackson stuff along with Landry really made me smile. All this bluster about how great these two players were and how they should've been 14 candidates and they don't go Day 1. Other than Ryan Shazier making that incredible grand entrance, that was the highlight of the night for me. You don't draft a guy on tape from 2 years ago while ignoring last year, nor do you fail to realize a guy played ONE year of DB in the horrific Big 10. Context is always missing in evaluations. Those questions get swept under the rug because the tape showed something...yeah, it showed something but something out of proper context.

I can't wait for Friday night...this will be a crazy train. Brian even said he expected to move around...I have no doubt he will and plenty.

April 27, 2018 at 12:02 am

JJ juiced?

packerfan9507's picture

February 13, 2019 at 01:40 am

Go Pack

April 27, 2018 at 09:07 am

A lot of teams had Ted days, then.

egbertsouse's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:11 pm

Oh great! Another short CB with an injury history. Thanks Uncle Ted!

April 27, 2018 at 09:07 am

You should have answered your phone when he called for advice...

April 26, 2018 at 09:13 pm

Essentially Packers deal away #14, third and sixth, to get #18 (Alexander) a 7th, and a 1st in 2019.

Bearmeat's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:17 pm

That's not a bad deal. We still have a 2nd tomorrow, and 2 1sts next year is awesome. Everything went right for the Saints last year. The NFCS is tough. That 1st could be a top 10 pick next year.....

That said, I was never a huge Alexander fan. Hope he's a baller... wanted Landry myself.

Nick Perry's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:32 pm

We have ONE pick tomorrow. We traded our 3rd rounder but I'd imagine with two 4th, four 5th and three 6th round picks we should be able to get back into the 3rd even twice!

Bearmeat's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:38 pm

Exactly. Gutey got a lot of value from the trades today. If Alexander is above average, GB's secondary is going to be pretty good next year - and for a long time.

Pass rush is still concerning. But we have time.

April 26, 2018 at 09:45 pm

They've got two #1s in 2019, and they can dangle one to jump back into round 2 if they really want...and probably still get a day 3 pick to go with. How about 33 or 35 from Cleveland in return for the Saints #1 in 2019 and a later pick?

Qoojo's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:21 pm

I thought they picked up a 5th rounder in the trade back too.

April 26, 2018 at 09:30 pm

They got the 5th from the original trade with the Saints.

April 26, 2018 at 09:35 pm

In short, the Packers moved back 4 spots in the first and gave up a 3rd round pick, and in return they net #147, a 7th round pick, and the Saints' 1st round pick in 2019.

That's the balance of today's actions.

April 26, 2018 at 09:35 pm

Thanks for fixing my goof!

Mojo's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:20 am

And with the round 7 248th pick take the Oregon LS Carew so we can move on from Brett Goode

April 27, 2018 at 02:58 am

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:20 am

That's a nice summary. They assign points to rounds and position.
Then you factor in the teams evaluation of the talent grade of the player.
I'm sure this worked out mathematically for the Packers when you add the points and the player grade for Alexander together.

The one thing you might question is, how much of the present did the mortgage for the future? I would of liked a bit more urgency for upper tier talent today, but we need to see what the rest of the draft looks like to make the final eval.

Community Guy's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:15 pm

love the trade back to pick up a second 1st for next year. i like Jaire too.. i hope he stays healthy. Jaire is a play-maker! and we can stop trying Trevor Davis at punt return! i wish we didn't give up a 3rd round pick to move up.. maybe the Pack can move back into the 3rd.

kevgk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:27 pm

they have the 1st in the 4th round so it would be easy to trade back in given all their draft capital
They basically moved down 4 spots and a 3rd rounder to get a 1st rounder next year

Thebearsstillsuck's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:44 pm

We hope the first rounder stays healthy. Again. First pick is a corner. Again. He's not from the Pac 10 I guess though so I guess things can change

Thebearsstillsuck's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:44 pm

Since'61's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:18 pm

CB and a return man. Learn CB behind House and Williams while providing punt and KO returns. I wish he was taller. Look for another CB or 2 in this draft.
Love the 2 #1s for next season. Thanks, Since '61

April 26, 2018 at 09:21 pm

My guess is that he plays in the slot right away.

AgrippaLII's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:28 pm

...and IR shortly after that.

April 26, 2018 at 09:36 pm

He had injuries one year. He doesn't have a long history of being injured. It's football. People get injured.

Turophile's picture

April 27, 2018 at 08:19 am

Well stated Oppy. he is a solidly built guy, a biscuit toss under 200lb on a 5'10" frame.............that's sturdy for a CB. He has a scrappers mentality as well, which some corners, even good ones, don't have.

4thand1's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:18 pm

It's not boring

4thand1's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:19 pm

365 DAYS TO NEXT YEARS DRAFT.

April 26, 2018 at 09:22 pm

Yeah, baby!!

Mojo's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:49 pm

LOL

Since'61's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Tick, tick, tick. Thanks, Since ‘61

HankScorpio's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Just think what they can get by trading back from both 1s in 2019!

dadon_111's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:21 pm

WTF ted - studs available and you trade back for this Fk Arog augtha say bye bye

Ds300916's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:53 pm

You know Ted isn't the GM anymore right?

Archie's picture

April 27, 2018 at 08:35 am

Are you sure? Seems like it after last night. Another undersized CB ala Terrele Buckley. Really? The more things change the more they stay the same. Edmunds dropped into our lap & Gutey didn't have the sense to just take him. Unbelievable.

AgrippaLII's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:23 pm

I'm done watching these morons give away draft picks. I can't get excited over a small DB with injury issues. I'm going to binge watch "Monk" instead of the rest of the draft.

April 26, 2018 at 09:40 pm

I remember when the Packers drafted this huge dude who, interestingly enough, one of the biggest stories about him was how he never suffered any type of injury in his HS and College career. They got him with the #2 pick in the NFL draft. I think his name was Tony Mandrich.

People like you crack me up. Football players get injured. This is not a kid who has recurring similar injuries.

Thebearsstillsuck's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:47 pm

Well for something that didn't happen 19 years ago we drafted a injured corner with our first pick. Again. But hey he's not from the Pac 10 so how dare we feel like it's the same shit, different pants

April 27, 2018 at 09:05 am

You are absolutely correct: it didn't happen 19 years ago.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:50 pm

It's true. But people also remember the injured CB and OLB they drafted last season who I don't think played more than 16 games between the two of them.

April 27, 2018 at 03:56 am

"Injury issues" or "Injury history" implies chronic injury problems, something Alexander doesn't show any indications of ever having.

Just so we're all on the same page on this- the bulk of Alexander's missed games in 2017 were early in the year. The games he played were in the second half of the season. And he looked great at the combine in all the movement drills, something that I think would not be possible if his knee was still an issue.

egbertsouse's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:25 pm

I love reading posts of delusional fan boys attempting to rationalize totally indefensible decisions on the part of Uncle Ted’s crazy draft crew.

April 26, 2018 at 09:41 pm

Tell me about the indefensible part.

April 26, 2018 at 09:48 pm

Frankly, if Alexander was the guy they wanted all along--which is, of course, what the public story will be--they did pretty well.

Thebearsstillsuck's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:49 pm

TT being in the draft room is indefensible. Should be at least 500 miles away from any packers team activity. Playing for next year again is also indefensible. Picking a dB for the 6th time out of our last 9 1st or 2nd picks is indefensible.

Ds300916's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:55 pm

I don't understand the logic here. So would you rather we just give up and not pick a defensive back?

April 26, 2018 at 10:10 pm

If you get mad and ignore the problem, it just goes away. I learned that from my college students.

HankScorpio's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:14 pm

"Picking a dB for the 6th time out of our last 9 1st or 2nd picks is indefensible."

In the longer view, this is certainly true. But the longer view isn't going to cover a single opposing WR in 2018. When you look at the cast of characters set for that duty, the case for picking another DB early is quite easy to make.

In the end, missing on too many of those past picks is at least part of the reason Thompson and Capers are not in their former roles any more.

April 26, 2018 at 10:18 pm

^^Perspective!!^^

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:54 pm

They needed a DB who can be All-Pro in the AFC in 4 seasons.

April 27, 2018 at 09:04 am

Check! ;)

Archie's picture

April 27, 2018 at 08:42 am

We are now the Lions of Matt Millen except we pick undersized CBs instead of oversized WRs. Maybe that makes us even worse.

Of course Hayward was good and we let him go to play a S out of position instead. Shields was good too but he got hurt. Rollins & Randall were not CBs. This guy is. So they have their slot CB, finally. And he's a punt returner to boot. Problem is we left Edmunds on the board. That is unforgivable and sez that Gutey, like, Ted, drafts for need, which is a short term strategy for losers.

Minniman's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:26 am

Perhaps hold off on assembling the lynch mob till you see how this guy plays, and how he gets used by the new DC - as well as ultimately retained. They are probably the biggest tragedies of the old regime re the DB talent....... (refer to Hyde and Hayward as examples)

April 27, 2018 at 03:11 am

TT is the senior scouting advisor. You are probably going to have to get used to TT being around when, you know, the Packers are making personnel decisions. He's probably got reports and stuff the GM needs to see.

GBPDAN1's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:26 pm

I feel better with the trade back up to 18. Alexander could be good. We will have to compare his career with James and Edmunds careers. If their careers are similar, we basically just traded a 3rd this year for a 1st next year.... and picked up a 5th and 7th this year.

Bearmeat's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:29 pm

Exactly. No one knows right now. I mean, the Saints obviously think Davenport is a game-changer. That pick is a HUGE headscratcher! So you're all in with an old QB, but you draft a very raw passrusher? We'll see what happens in 3 years.

I personally wanted Landry in the early 20s.

April 26, 2018 at 10:20 pm

With the way the board was projected to fall, I thought the Packers would be thinking hard about picking Davenport at that point.

With the way the board actually fell, I would've jumped on Edmunds in a heartbeat. We'll see how he plays out.

Steelers on the clock at #28 and Landry is still on the board.

IN EDIT: Steelers reach for the OTHER Edmunds...

John Galt's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:32 pm

Great move - short corner - who gets injured but at 0-16 in 2018 we get next year's 1st round draft choice after Aaron' Rodgers last year and a 2nd 1st rounder from 2-14 Saints.

In hindsight - brilliant.

Nick Perry's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:37 pm

LOL...Here's one opinion who had him as the 5th rated CB

5). Jaire Alexander, Louisville
Alexander is another smaller corner who may be relegated to zone coverage teams. He is incredibly instinctive, but he often resorts to holding in man coverage. He also doesn’t come up with enough turnovers considering how often he jumps routes. There are also concerns over his durability with his very slender frame. His ceiling caps out at an average second corner and good slot guy, but teams shouldn’t expect him to get too involved in run support.

Great....Another scrawny no tackling CB who has injury history.

Bearmeat's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:40 pm

NP,

No one knows how these kids are going to grade out in 3 years. I wasn't hot on Alexander myself for the size deficiencies. But he could be very good.

April 26, 2018 at 09:42 pm

He's Sam Shields...except he can probably still remember his birthday.

Bearmeat's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:50 pm

....boy is that sobering....

John Kirk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Lookout...WKU is going to hate on you and stalk you for the rest of your days for that comment, dobs.

April 26, 2018 at 10:52 pm

It's OK...I can't remember my birthday and I haven't been hit upside the head nearly as often as I deserve...

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:22 am

Love ya DOB... (and yer millennial students)...

April 27, 2018 at 10:25 am

I can't remember their names, either...

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:11 am

Sheet that's funny. Yeah WKU, that liberal idjut will be all over that.
Have to protect pampered millionaires feelings after all.

April 27, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Well done, Dobber. Just remember your wife's birthday, kids' too, your anniversary, and everything will work out.

April 27, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I've delegated all of those things to my wife.

April 27, 2018 at 03:23 am

That is one opinion. The majority of the scouting reports on Alexander are quite positive, describe him as tough, an excellent man cover guy (one report claims he's easily the best man cover back in the draft), playing bigger than his frame, etc and so forth. He is projected all over the place as far as draft position- many mocks have him in the top 15 overall, many had him outside of the 1st round. He can be found classified as being anywhere from the top CB in the draft (Mayock) to the 10th best CB in the draft, but generally, he's considered to be 3-5 ish.

For what it's worth, almost everywhere is calling the Packers day one performance a winner, and giving the Packers an "A". Of course, no one will know till the pads go on and the boys start playing. Instead of working yourself up and finding the worst possible write up, why not look at the broader view and wait until the season starts. I understand you started freaking the fuck out hard core early on when the Packers traded back and now you'd look kind of silly if you backed off, but maybe the best thing to do is wait and see. If the kid really is a bust, then you can throw a tantrum and it won't look so bad. If the kid plays well, maybe no one will remember how ridiculous you looked waving your arms and jumping around like someone lit you on fire, and if no one remembers, you won't have to do that awkward thing where you publicly admit you might have been wrong and acted like a child having a meltdown and said a bunch of things that look wretched in hindsight.

badaxed's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:37 pm

I see Ted's handwriting all over this draft. Trade down in hopes that a playoff team will tank and get a higher choice "next year". What about this year. Old and slow db 's and short New one. I bet those tall receivers who face the packers are picking their chopz.

Ds300916's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:55 pm

Ted Thompson never picked up an extra first.

April 26, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Picking their chopz...at the butcher?

April 27, 2018 at 03:25 am

Those bone-in ribeyes look nice.

April 27, 2018 at 05:59 am

It's all about the protein, man.

steven10825's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:58 pm

Weird... Kevin king is 6'3 and not slow... And just because a player got injured doesnt mean they are injury prone.... Alexander is going to be a star. Book it

April 26, 2018 at 10:36 pm

If he has a bum knee, as some have said, and could still run a 4.38 40 with a sub-4.0 second short shuttle at the Combine, I think the Packers might need to go all Tonya Harding on TWill and House.

John Kirk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Book it because he's a Packer? This was another in a long line of bizarre head scratching 1st round Packers picks over the last several years. I desperately didn't want Landry or Josh Jackson but I can honestly say I probably would've been happier with those two overrated guys.

The sweet spot in this draft is until the end of Round 3 and maybe 4. We got out of the sweet spot of this draft to take a huge question mark CB and get a pick next year. Let the rebuild begin. I hope Cleveland trades Mayfield and Ward to us for Aaron. Might as well go all the way if we're going to rebuild.

April 27, 2018 at 04:02 am

If it means you'll follow along with Aaron and start taking your wacky conspiracies over to the Browns board... someone get on the horn with the Browns front office, let's make this thing happen.

Since'61's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:48 am

That alone would make this a great draft, at least for all of us at CHTV. Thanks, Since '61

Since'61's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:29 am

Deleted, double post. Thanks, Since '61

John Kirk's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Never posted a wacky conspiracy theory here. Did you see Ted last night? Just wondering?

Spock's picture

April 27, 2018 at 02:29 pm

"Never posted a wacky conspiracy theory here." So, you posted them somewhere else and then just copied and pasted them here? I think many others would disagree, not that it matters, you'll just keep with your "Brian is Weak, weak, weak" and Ted is looking like he has dementia and the other half-baked 'opinions' you keep stating as 'facts'. Wow, it must be so, so, so, hard for you to 'always be right'. Don't bother to reply as the real 'facts' don't seem to matter to you and I'm not going to play your b.s. games trying to lure people into actually getting a 'real' dialogue with you as you clearly have a one-way conversation as your version of 'dialogue'. You couldn't even answer the comment w/o another stab at TT: " Did you see Ted last night? Just wondering?". I pity the innocent man who has you on the jury if you didn't like the way he looked or talked on first sight!

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 02:35 pm

Give the guy a break...let it go.

You don't have to defend the grey ghost - he didn't care enough about the fans to address them on a routine basis, so why carry water for him now?

April 27, 2018 at 03:30 pm

Yes, ted was in many of the pics posted of the war room, at the end of the front table, wearing a light colored dress shirt, no jacket. Just a few seats down from the guys on the phones. Right next to where MM, BG, and MMc were hanging out.

I didn't see any drool on his folders or paper work in front of him, no food on his face, and I didn't see a nurse by his side.

GTFOHWTS.

Minniman's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:34 am

As long as he gets played to his strengths I have faith that he will be a value to the team

Qoojo's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:55 pm

The irony of so many draft "gurus" that do not understand that it is all a lottery where you find out what you won in 6 months to 4 years.

April 26, 2018 at 09:57 pm

Well stated.

steven10825's picture

April 26, 2018 at 09:57 pm

Exactly!!!! Haven't commented in a year or so.... But this stupidity made me find my password lol. Alexander could be a star! No one knows.

sonomaca's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Ted to Gute: “Hey, kid, I’ll trade you my nickel for your dime.”

Gute to Ted: “But my dime is worth more.”

Ted to Gute: “yeah, but look how much bigger the nickel is!”

Gute to Ted: “ok, deal.”

Gute got played.

Norm's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:06 pm

I don’t know how good Alexander will be and neither do you.

Royalty Free GM's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:06 pm

One legged corner. Brilliant.

April 27, 2018 at 03:40 am

40 / Bench / Vert / Broad Jump / 3 Cone / 20 yd Shuttle

Ridley: 4.43 / 15 / 31" / 110" / 6.88 / 4.41

One-Legged corner: 4.38 / 14 / 35" / 127" / 6.71 / 3.98

Brilliant, indeed! That one-legged corner smoked your stud WR in every single drill at the combine that involves leg strength. Imagine if he was "two-legged".

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:27 am

RFGM... if ya go to Cleveland with JRK, I’ll buy yer ticket!!!

4thand1's picture

April 27, 2018 at 02:47 pm

Maybe we'll get a one legged punter in the 7th.

Cwilly's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:08 pm

If the picks we could have had turn out stars will be people on here admit or stay on the pack bandwagon. Who knows how this turns out but if those picks are rookie of the year is their anyone that will have accountability. Probably not like the sports writers who just roll the red carpet out to the packer organization. If next year goes bad and I mean bad rodgers should leave for a chance to win helll get the same money from the pack he would get from any team. Only thin that bothers me is not going after a difference maker linebacker when ours aren’t. Next year will tell if the pack dropped the ball. And if the saints win it all we have what you call a second round pick which isn’t a firs .

steven10825's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Look at his tape. Kids super talented. And he was pumped to play for green bay! Dudes super physical and has attitude. Pur cb group is looking good. I can see him and kevin playing well next year

pooch's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Yup thats what said about T Buck and A.Carol

kevgk's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:34 am

what is even the point of this post?

April 27, 2018 at 08:57 am

He just wanted to generate that visceral response that comes with the mention of T Buck and Ahmad Carroll.

April 26, 2018 at 10:16 pm

They can already go 4 players deep at CB and not need to rely on a guy named Lenzy or another guy named after a ninja turtle.

HankScorpio's picture

April 27, 2018 at 06:32 am

Lenzy Ninjaturtle is going to shoot up the depth chart. Just wait for it.

April 27, 2018 at 08:58 am

I did a quiz on facebook and it told me "Lenzy Ninjaturtle" would be my Star Wars name...

pooch's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Now we a conerback to cove Ridley when we play Atlanta

Denver's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Not gonna lie...I wanted James. But who knows, maybe this will be their best high CB pick since Willie Buchanon (apologies to Tim Lewis).
James reminded me of LeRoy Butler...I'm kinda pissed. Time for another beer........

Royalty Free GM's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:23 pm

ARod, maybe it’s time to start looking for some new team which appreciates your work, this team clearly doesn’t.

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:29 am

I’ll buy you a FIRST CLASS TICKET RFGM if you leave today!!!

Samson's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Like it or not ...
Season 2018 is already a wash.
Draft 2018 is for 2019, not season 2018.

AR will have to do whatever he can to make Season 2018 competitive. --- This draft will not put GB over the top, no way. --- GB fans may enjoy next years draft much better. ---- This is definitely a 2-year project.

As they say ---- "Good With Gute".

porupack's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Booooo! Lousy move to give up 3rd rounder. There is solid uprades all over 2nd-3rd round and packers just have too many position group needs. That 3rd would have been invaluable at WR for example. Gute trying to be too crafty. Just stick with pick 14...and davenport would have made great progress in with mentors clay and nick. Booooooo!

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:31 am

How have our 3rd rounders worked out for us the last couple of years??? I wouldn’t ask but, I can’t recall their names....

Rossonero's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:42 pm

I have mixed feelings. His gangly frame means he is limited to adding more weight. His injuries mean there's not much tape from his junior year, although his previous seasons were superb. He's pretty grabby in man coverage too, so he will require plenty of coaching.

The talent is there though. Ok, Mike Pettine -- coach this guy up.

April 27, 2018 at 03:44 am

Who knows how he'll fill out.

Don't forget, Donald Driver was an absolute string bean when he entered the league.

Rossonero's picture

April 27, 2018 at 06:24 am

True. And I should've said Joe Whitt will need to coach him up.

April 27, 2018 at 08:59 am

It's an easy mistake to make...with the reorganization of defensive coaches we need a primer to figure out who's responsible for what.

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:35 am

Rest easy DOB... I’m in charge of keeping the neighborhood rowdy’s off our lawns!!!! Mailpersons, too!!!

DetroitSUCKS's picture

April 26, 2018 at 10:56 pm

heila viitu

Lphill's picture

April 26, 2018 at 11:12 pm

Scouting report in first sentence "undersized for a corner" that's all we need to know . This is not a good pick maybe if a team with a solid secondary took him then maybe but not a team like the Packers with no number 1 corner.

NitschkeFan's picture

April 26, 2018 at 11:27 pm

CBS sports gives the Pack a rating of "A".

Two days ago Mayock had Alexander rated as the 2nd best CB in the draft.

People upset about losing this year's 3rd round pick. Well we could trade the Saints 2019, 1st rounder for both a 2nd and 3rd rounder this weekend if that's the team's preference.

Mojo's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:06 am

Based on one draft trade value chart the last pick in the first round is worth 590 points. That is equivalent to two late 2nd round picks (roughly 60 & 61). Of course you have to wait a year to use the number 1. So if you discount that factor you might get a late two and perhaps a high 3 if you can find a willing partner.

However, if your trading partner believes NO or GB won't have next years 32nd pick and therefore GB's number 1's have more value they still might give up two twos this year (assuming they have them). So if they chose, GB could possibly trade one of next years ones and end-up with three twos in this years draft. That would somewhat mitigate losing their third to Seattle.

It would be interesting to see which of next years number ones a possible trading partner would consider more valuable - GB's or NO's

Cubbygold's picture

April 27, 2018 at 05:44 am

Yeah, i think we'd all like to think the saints pick is more valuable, but I'd guess teams would rather have gbs

April 27, 2018 at 06:04 am

Cleveland sits on 3 #2s...33, 35 and 64. Maybe they'll move two of those for that Saints #1.

HankScorpio's picture

April 27, 2018 at 06:43 am

I would rather the Packers give up their own #1 since I think the Packers will have a better year and thus the Saints #1 will be more valuable. But I've never been a fan of mixing future draft into the current draft. So I'd trade that future #1 (either) for 33 or 35 right now. And anytime up to the actual pick. Probably not for 64.

There are still plenty of good players available. Having 2 of the next 13 picks would be a very nice deal.

John Kirk's picture

April 26, 2018 at 11:48 pm

Brian made absolutely NO sense speaking to his logic in trading back to 27. He said he traded back to 27 because he was going to get equal value there as opposed to just staying put and picking at 14.. If the value was equal all the way to 27 why the need to trade back up to 18? Obviously, the value was not equal and he regretted going back that far to get that "precious" 2019 1st rounder.

You can have whatever opinion about what he did but why he says he did it makes absolutely no sense at all. I'm incredibly disappointed Packers media didn't question him about his lack of logic. One of the guys did ask about whether he was confident he was going to get good value at 27 and he said he was but then said he felt he needed to trade back up???? Wow. He is not logically sound.

Also, like I've stated a few times here... Brian is big on SPARQ score. Alexander was 3rd for CB's with Ward and a late rounder being the two ahead of him there.

Lare's picture

April 27, 2018 at 05:05 am

I think for some GM's it's more fun to wheel & deal to get a player with question marks than it is to take the boring route of staying where you are and drafting a player that most experts predict could be a difference maker.

April 26, 2018 at 11:48 pm

Thinking Terrel Buckley? Normal conditions for trades aren't done in 10 min. They had to be looking at James or Alexander. You can't teach speed. But does it matter here. They got a player they believe is a starter. Somebody to keep up with the smaller speed WR. He could never cover a megatron. And I think thats the problem with many. But MM got his CB that sets the draft. Now quit bitching. Will take another next year.

April 27, 2018 at 06:06 am

Very few players could cover Megatron, regardless of height. That's why he was Megatron.

Flow49's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:02 am

The only thing for certain in the draft is uncertainty. Who knows what these player will or will not accomplish. Seems like Pettine wanted Alexander and if we got him and added a 1st rounder I’d say that was a job well done. And at least we didn’t draft a center in round one.

PackfanNY's picture

April 27, 2018 at 07:18 am

No problem with the pick. Hell what do I know, I don't grade NFL talent for a living. I am a little concerned with the having to trade up and give up a 3rd rounder to grab him. I am not so sure he wouldn't have been their at 27. Giving up that 3rd limits our premium acquisitions and ability to move around on Day 2.

Archie's picture

April 27, 2018 at 08:57 am

Who do we go after next? OL, TE, another CB (Oliver)? There's plenty left on the table. If Gutey can get 2 #2s for next year's #1 he should do it. No brainer.

That said, not sure I can put my faith in a guy that trades out of 14 w T. Edmunds on the board. Unforgiveable sin. He was the stud pass rusher we wanted. Falling to 14 was unbelievable value.

April 27, 2018 at 09:02 am

I was all over Edmunds, but not necessarily for pass rush. I liked him for his traits (especially his size/speed numbers), his upside, and his versatility. It seemed to be a perfect match for Mike Pettine and what he seemed to like to do in his past defenses.

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:43 am

Gawd, people are going insane about this draft on sports talk radio. It looked bad until they moved back into the 1st round, essentially moving down 4 spots.

They got a player they needed, with SPEED, and got a first round pick next year, giving up a third.

Other than the injuries the guy has had, I'm not sure what there is to be complaining about here.

jimtalkbox's picture

April 27, 2018 at 09:54 am

I can respect the "Trading a 3rd Rounder this year for a 1st Round next year" deal, but I'll never be really high on drafting a short CB in the middle of the 1st round.

Don't get me wrong, I HOPE that I'm proven wrong. I HOPE that Alexander is the second coming of Deion Sanders. We all have no choice but to cheer for him now.

Lambeau West's picture

April 27, 2018 at 01:23 pm

We've drafted guys that were above the Mendoza line that didn't pan out too. Let's not quibble over 3/8 of an inch. Talk about stupid arbitrary numbers. How about 3 cone times or 40 yd dash.

worztik's picture

April 27, 2018 at 10:38 am

The “experts” on NFL Network are giving the Pack an A+ for our board movement and Alexander pick... just an FYI for all of us so we may rest easy!!!!

JohnnyLogan's picture

April 27, 2018 at 12:07 pm

I really hate the cliched "The only thing certain is the uncertainty." An NFL draft is gambling. When you gamble you're likely to win more if the odds are in your favor. Sure you can lose but I'll take the odds every time. The odds in this draft said James and Edmunds have more chance to be All Pros or HoF's than Alexander, a very good player. Our odds went up for next year, but not as much as everyone thinks since we gave up a 3rd and a year of playing time. James or Edmunds were the gambler's choice. Gute wasn't gambling, he was playing it safe by moving down when two legitimate studs were on the board. A CB could have been found in the 2nd or we could have moved back into the 1st for Alexander and had all our cake... James or Edmunds AND Alexander. We may win this trade, but the odds are against it.

April 27, 2018 at 12:53 pm

A nice thread with a balance of opinions and reasonable arguments made back and forth. I don't dislike the results of Day One, just don't think it was a home run.

I took a peek at NO's schedule: it strikes me as a tough road. Atlanta x2, Carolina x 2, MN, LAR, PHI, Pittsburgh, Dallas. TB x2, CLE, Balt, Cincy, NYG, and Washington strike me as the easier games. That often changes, with some teams becoming better than anticipated and vice-versa.

4thand1's picture

April 27, 2018 at 02:52 pm

Skinny to me is around 175, Alexander is 20+ pounds heavier around 196 to 200. Ridley is skinny.