Packers Question of the day - Takeaways from the win

The Packers absolutely man-handled the visiting Seattle Seahawks in front of a frozen crowd at Lambeau Field.

They thrashed their inter-conference rival 38-10 and have outscored the Seahawks in their last four trips to Green Bay during both the regular season and playoffs, 155-57.

It was engineered by a career day for the defense, registering five interceptions - their most in a game since 2006. What were your takeaways from the victory that keeps the Packers alive in the playoff hunt?

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

RCPackerFan's picture

December 12, 2016 at 09:21 am

Takeaways from the victory.

-Rodgers deserves to be mentioned in the MVP voting.

-Montgomery is really good. He is getting more touches, and still could get more. He touched the ball 12 times for 74 yards. His ability to get through the smallest of holes and gain positive yards is impressive. His power is what sets him apart. Running through tacklers and consistently gaining positive yards.

-Nelson may never be what he was in 2014, but he and Rodgers connection is special. When the play breaks down Nelson is there. Oh yeah, and he is now in the league lead in TD receptions.

-Adams is for real. His ability to get open at the LOS has really opened up the offense.

-OL is playing as well as anyone. Can anyone name a pair of OT's thats playing better then Bakhtiari and Bulaga?

-Randall and Rollins are good. Perhaps the biggest defensive problems were in fact that they were playing without starting caliber CB's? Since they have returned to health, both Burnett and Clinton-Dix play has improved.

Gianich's picture

December 12, 2016 at 09:31 am

Take aways from the game= 5 ints. Big Dean looks like a beast! Jayrone and Datone came to play! This team looks like they have it figured out! Just win!

That punt fake formation on 4th and 1 with motioning Monty coming up under center forcing the Seahawks to burn a timeout was coaching gold! I don't think they ever planned on running that play and we're probably going to call a timeout had the Seahawks not called one but it was a brilliant piece of strategy while playing with a lead. MAshed Potato Mike scheming again!

zoellner25's picture

December 12, 2016 at 09:38 am

If Aaron Rodgers can walk, we can win.

croatpackfan's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm

With this OL, if he can stand, Packers can win!

Yooper's picture

December 12, 2016 at 09:38 am

#Seasonsavedallsmiles ......... HEADLINE - Sherman gets Chippy - takes cheap shot at Davante who plays great game along with fellow team mates - Packers Rule!!:^)

Yooper's picture

December 12, 2016 at 04:42 pm

Just saw replay of Randall Cobb taking a cheap shot on kneel down at end of game - Resulting in his calling out entire Seabirds team for super poor play and super poor sportsmanship - Seabirds can def dish it out but can they "Man up" and take it......Noooooooo !!:^)

Tundraboy's picture

December 12, 2016 at 09:56 am

Lots of big plays. None bigger than Lowry's timely sack. First TD throw to Adams was crazy, even for ARod.

NickPerry's picture

December 13, 2016 at 08:49 am

Lowry has been impressive the last few weeks. This is a kid, especially with the injuries the Packers need to get on the field. Just like at Northwestern the kid just NEVER stops until the whistle blows.

RCPackerFan's picture

December 13, 2016 at 09:20 am

Yes. Lowry has really played well these last 2 games.

If he can provide a consistent pass rush down the stretch he could become one of the most important players.

MarkinMadison's picture

December 12, 2016 at 10:14 am

Without a doubt the best team win in at least two years. Total domination of an NFC leader. Shades of 2010 right now with the defensive secondary taking a step towards health.

Things that are problematic - #12 got less healthy; the running game is below average; the LBs are beat up.

As great as yesterday felt, the fate of this team is not in it's own hands.

Big_Mel_75's picture

December 12, 2016 at 10:21 am

I think with that Giants win last night may hurt us for wildcard but I think helps us cause they are going to be hungry to keep pace with the Cowboys as much as possible. Lions could lose the final three seeing they play Giants, Cowboys, Packers...

marpag1's picture

December 12, 2016 at 11:15 am

We should just forget about the wildcard. The Packers need to win the division or they're probably screwed. So to me, I think the GIants victory was good. It gives both the Giants and the Cowboys more to play for when they line up against Detroit. We need Detroit to lose so we can win the NFCN

Razer's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Even if we win-out, there will be too many teams with better or equal records in front of us for the wildcard. We need to win the division in Detroit on New Years Day. But first we need to kill both Chicago and Minnesota.

EdsLaces's picture

December 12, 2016 at 10:19 am

Take-a-ways...get it ...I digress..

The TKstinator's picture

December 12, 2016 at 11:31 am

Six.

Since'61's picture

December 12, 2016 at 10:43 am

My takeaways from this game are that for the first time in a very long time I saw an opposing QB being nervous about the Packer's pass rush. Wilson was off yesterday but I think the Packer pass rush made it worse and worse for him and contributed to some of the picks as the game went on. Also, for the first time in a long time I saw an opposing defense that looked like they didn't know what was happening to them and their frustration became more and more obvious as the game went on. Even injured Aaron Rodgers is back in form and has become very efficient again. Daniels, Clark and Lowry may emerge into a very effective DL. I mentioned last week week that a Datone Jones siting would be nice and it certainly was even though, I admit, I didn't expect it. Hopefully it continues for the rest of the season. Our defensive backfield is finally becoming what we expected earlier in the season. Our running game thanks to Monty is effective enough to keep the defense honest. Finally, when we play like yesterday we can beat any team in this league. Go Pack Go! Thanks, Since '61

Tundraboy's picture

December 13, 2016 at 11:38 am

"My takeaways from this game are that for the first time in a very long time I saw an opposing QB being nervous about the Packer's pass rush."

Great observation Since 61. Sure has been a long time since we could say that. And against Wilson no less.

pacman's picture

December 12, 2016 at 10:53 am

The season comes back to life. Especially with Stafford's injury.

I understand Jordy being rusty for the first half of the season. What took so long for AR to get back to being AR is still baffling and frustrating. Let's hope we never see that other guy again.

2 Janis sweeps in 2 weeks. Teams will definitely now be looking for that. Good - about time the offense keeps opposition guessing. I'm guessing we see it earlier next week with someone else. Davis?

Looks like MM can change. It just takes 1.5 seasons for it to happen. Sad for Starks, but if we see him carrying again, it better be in garbage time.

If we don't make playoffs now, it will be extremely frustrating.

Looking ahead - with up and coming Adams and Monty, TT will still probably let experienced guys walk.

MarkinMadison's picture

December 12, 2016 at 01:17 pm

The Packers' FA list this year is not overwhelming. If Peppers is resigned at all it will be at a giant discount down from his current salary of around $9M. Shields will likely retire and that will free up another $9M, or maybe a couple $M less depending on the manner of his separation and the cap rules. Either way, that is a whole lot of cheddar coming off the books with just those two guys.

Lang is 29 and has had availability issues, so my bet is he was leaving regardless of development by anyone else. Tretter could fill that spot very well. Perry, Cook, Lacy and Tretter are all worthy of deals, but none of them should break the bank. Perry might get north of $6M/yr., but the rest will get less. Jones and Hyde have each had their moments but I think either could be replaced. Goode, Michael, and Barclay will take low dollar deals either in GB or somewhere else.

Overall, the Packers are very cap healthy.

December 12, 2016 at 03:46 pm

Datone's 5 QB hits against Seattle was an eye-opener for me. I've been ambivalent about re-signing him. OTOH, Seattle's line is terrible and we had a big lead, both of which helps a pass rusher. Also, his pass rushing skill really wasn't the issue as much as his run defense, though it has improved, and that he can not drop into coverage. Thinking a one or two year deal for Neal money.

Handsback's picture

December 12, 2016 at 10:55 am

My takeaway is that the Packers are playing great team ball. Not just some big plays on both defense and offense, but as a team another great effort.

Lphill's picture

December 12, 2016 at 11:47 am

I'm pretty sure that was PI against Jared Cook on the play he got hurt on.

Finwiz's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Absolutely no question. Not sure what those idiot officials were looking at there.

Bearmeat's picture

December 12, 2016 at 11:56 am

Awesome win. Anything is now possible. I was afraid to get my hopes up too high before last night - the team had just let us down again and again for the past 2 years.

If they can thoroughly dominate the supposed 2nd best team in the NFC like that, they can make a run. Go Giants and Cowboys in the next 2 weeks.

Gotta win out.

pacman's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Careful what you wish for. ASSUMING Pacers get in, who do you want to play in the playoffs? A possible dominating defense like the Giants (where have we seen that before), a powerful offense like the Cowboys or a very angry Seahawks team in Seattle?

Or all three in a row - on the road! Where have we seen THAT before?

Bearmeat's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:40 pm

All tough matchups for sure. But GB is not playing like a slouch either.

December 12, 2016 at 12:54 pm

If the Packers win out, they'll be on a 6-game winning streak and will have beaten some decent teams and playoff contenders to get there. The question is: who would want to play the Packers?

December 12, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Don't really care. If we (or the Packers) were worried about who they would play in the playoffs, what's the value in getting there? Just like the regular season, you can only play the opponents lined up for you. No picking and choosing. The plus is that if the Packers get in, they'll likely get a home date to start.

The TKstinator's picture

December 12, 2016 at 05:09 pm

Also remember that a "possible dominating defense" would have been Seattle's going into yesterday's game.
That's why they play the games.
Any given Sunday.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Looks like the odds of the Packers in the playoffs just spiked.

I wonder if Staffords busted finger helped this odds?

croatpackfan's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:35 pm

My takeaway is that Packers got very good RB in Michael.
And I'm glad they did...

al bundy's picture

December 12, 2016 at 12:37 pm

For me the odd thing and somewhat scary: when everything goes your way the entire game, you can do no wrong you kind of wonder as a fan and maybe some players too, ok when does the shoe drop as they say and we get our turn to get big in the arse.
You almost hope for half that luck and save the other half for the next game.
Anyways it was a good game for the Pack.

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

December 12, 2016 at 02:07 pm

Great Victory for the Pack!! Everyone should savor this victory for a few days, & then get ready for next week. Keep a couple of things in mind.

Big Wins are like Old Girlfriends. You never really forget them, but somehow you have to, if you know what I mean.

As I posted before the game, this was a Super Bowl for GB. They came to play. In the scheme of things, it's just another WIN for Green Bay, No Bigger than the previous 6. A great Win for sure, but just that, A Win.

The Miracle On The Hudson is behind Green Bay. Yesterday's game has NOTHING to do with the upcoming game against Chicago. All you need to do is look to Seattle last week. They Stomped, & then came to GB, & Laid An Egg. Everyone needs to do. what every GB Packer needs to do, Get it Behind you. Just as Sunday's game was GB's Super Bowl, next Sunday's game will be Chicago's Super Bowl. GB needs to guard against a Letdown. I don't think it will happen, but those things do happen frequently in the NFL. In a Dismal Season, with Nothing to play or Win for, Nothing would please Chicago more than to knock GB off. That's how I am approaching next week's game at Chicago.

GB has Bigger Problems than a Letdown. GB has a host of injury's, they may not be able to overcome. It's something every GB fan should really be concerned about. The Right Calf injury to AR could be the difference in winning or losing ANY game.

The Defense, which I've been a Big Critic of, Has To Show Up, the rest of the year. Crosby, who I've been a Critic of since 2007, needs to start making CLUTCH FIELDGOALS. I don't see AR being a 100% the rest of the year. That's going to be Tough to overcome, when GB makes the playoffs. I haven't discarded a Wild Card yet, but I think we need to be a Division Champ.

I like the position GB is in. I like them being a ?, in the upcoming games & the Playoffs. What I don't like is the Health of the team. If Cobb or Cook or both go down, along with AR's injury's, they won't continue to beat the Top Teams.

So enjoy this Win, & come Thursday-Friday, forget it, & get it behind you. You have 3 Seattle's coming up, Not just Detroit.
LVT

lambeauleap's picture

December 12, 2016 at 05:32 pm

If you had told me two weeks ago the Packers would dominate the Seahawks I would have laughed in your face and driven you to a mental hospital.

I'm cautiously optimistic that things may be clicking at the right time.

However I hesitate because I take note of Aaron's injuries and D got bailed out by some terrible throws and dropped balls but still showed signs of issues.

With that said it's hard not to find alot of positives. We took the ball away 5 times! We dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball! We have a make shift running attack that's just good enough to keep the defenses honest! Our offense seems to have found a rhythm FINALLY!

I'm not going to declare us Super Bowl winners but I see reasons to be hopeful this team can put something together when 2 weeks ago I was ready to see us get a top 10 draft pick.