My One and Only Packers Mock Draft - 2017 NFL Draft

It's Draft Day! Continuing a yearly tradition, CheeseheadTV's Jersey Al takes his one and only stab at a Packers Mock draft on the CHTV web site.

Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, every year on draft day I put down the CheeseheadTV Draft Guide for a few minutes and give you my attempt at a Packers Mock Draft. It's a combination of science, logic, reasoning and lots of black magic. My main tenet is this - try to determine what positions will provide good value in which rounds, sprinkle in a bit of need and then choose the player that best fits the Packers scheme and team personality.

Past hits have been Kenny Clark, Datone Jones, Nick Perry and Derrick Sherrod. Misses have been Jalen Collins (TT chose Randall instead), Ryan Shazier (swiped early by Pitt) and Deone Bucannon (TT chose Ha Ha instead). Overall, I'd say the record has been pretty good and if nothing else,  I'm usually on target for the position selected.

That brings us to this year, where my tenet of picking the position likely to have the most value when Green Bay picks, is not nearly as clear. With the preponderance of top-notch EDGE rushers and cornerbacks in this draft, it's impossible for me to pick either with any degree of confidence. Honestly, it's a coin flip. but that doesn't mean I won't give this my best shot...

So here we go:

Round 1:  TJ Watt, EDGE, Wisconsin -  Yes, it's the easy pick, yes, this selection would make all of Wisconsin very happy and yes, too many other people are picking Watt for it to actually happen. But I'm guessing that the top 3 CBs on the Packers board will have been taken by pick 29, so Ted will look at Edge rusher instead. The choice will likely be between Charles Harris, Tak McKinley, Watt and possibly a surprise first-round riser like Jordan Willis or Tyus Bowser. Watt might actually be a riskier choice than some of the others listed, but it's time for Ted to go for that brass ring in Round One. Roll the dice Ted, Watt has all the intangibles to one day be great. Alternatives: Charles Harris, Jordan Willis.

Round 2: Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado  - If Ted does in fact go with EDGE in Round One, this pick will almost certainly be a cornerback, unless a top running back talent falls to them a la Eddie Lacy or their #1 guard prospect is available. The extremely hard part about this selection is figuring which of the top cornerbacks will not have been taken by now. In any case, sticking with cornerback, Witherspoon is likely to be the best available at pick 61. The 6'3" pre-med student with a 40.5" vertical was overshadowed a bit by teammate Chidobe Awuzie, but still tied for best in the nation with 23 passes defended. The main negative with Witherspoon is a relative lack of experience, but his arrow is pointing way up.  Alternatives: Fabian Moreau, Sidney Jones (two guys that may start the season on PUP)

Round 3: Issac Asiata, OG Utah - This is the real wild card round. I could totally see a running back if one with a 2nd round grade drops here, but realistically, this is where Ted like to start doing work on offensive line prospects. This year the need has never been greater, so this pick make a lot of sense. If somehow Dion Dawkins dropped into the third round, I could totally see a trade up to nab him - he's the classic OT to G conversion prospect with talent to start sooner rather than later. Being realistic, I turn my attention to Asiata, who has played at right tackle and both guard spots in college. This wouldn't be a classic Ted choice, as Asiata isn't nimble enough to have manned the left tackle spot, but he shows a very good get-off and quickness while playing with an aggressive approach. If compared to TJ Lang coming out of college, Asiata is stronger but not as mobile. Alternatives: Will Holden, Nico Siragusa.

(note - I wrote this before the announcement that the Packers had signed Free Agent G Jahri Evans. Since I consider the signing a "Jeff Saturday type stop-gap signing," I still think the Packers will draft a G prospect by Round 4 at the latest)

Round 4: Kenny Golladay, Wr, No. Illinois - I believe this is the year Thompson starts looking for Jordy Nelson's eventual replacement, so why not draft a "Jordy light" prospect?  Small-school receiver Golladay reminds one of Nelson when he runs (long strides and is moving faster than he looks), is a big receiver with a large catching radius and can be a deep threat. Route running is not so hot, which is why he's in the fourth round, but that can be improved and he has the athletic ability other more-refined prospects might not. Alternatives: Josh Reynolds, Josh Malone.

Round 5: James Connor, RB, Pittsburgh - I'm fairly convinced the Packers will draft a running back and he will be more of the "big back" type. Mike McCarthy loves having a running back that can grind out yards to close out games, especially when cold weather becomes a factor.  So why not bring in the "Mini-Bus" as Conner has been called. Nothing fancy here, all power, grit and determination. Connor beat cancer, was a team captain and is an A+ character guy to have in your locker room. Give him the ball in short yardage or goal line situations and watch him punish tacklers. Alternatives: Brian Hill, Joe Williams.

Round 5: Brendan Langley, CB Lamar - Joe Whitt loves a good development project, and Langley certainly has all the athletic ability needed for the position. What the speedy former wide receiver doesn't have yet, is a good feel for how to play the position. Put Whitt to work on him and he could turn out to be another Sam Shields. I think it's worth a 5th round pick to to give it a try. . Alternatives: Nate Hairston, Channing Stribling.

Round 6: Grover Stewart, DL Albany State. - To satisfy Ted Thompson's "you can never have too many big guys" mantra, we go looking for a big-bodied, small school development prospect, preferably one that can play anywhere along the line.  At 6'5", Stewart's reportedly played at 335 lbs last season but is now listed as 295. Stewart has the power, strength and movement ability, but is a raw prospect that needs significant work on technique. A new toy for Mike Trgovac and Jerry Montgomery to play with.  Alternatives: Rashaad Coward, DJ Jones,

Round 7: Ben Boulware, ILB, Clemson - Time to find a special teams contributor here. Boulware was a team captain and leader of the Clemson defense. While not an elite athlete, he led his team with 131 tackles (11.5 TFL) and his aggressive approach resulted in three forced fumbles and an interception in 2016.  Boulware was also an important contributor on special teams, his likely path to a roster spot with the Packers. Alternatives: Tanner Vallejo, Ukeme Eligwe.

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 27, 2017 at 06:40 am

Good list and explanations. I'm feeling like TT is going to go after a RB pretty early; I won't be surprised if it's in the second round. I think several of the RBs who the mags and gurus have predicted to go in the third or later are going to go a round or three earlier.

I like Watt now--I didn't for a while, but I've decided he's a "Packer type." He is really dedicated to football, and n awful lot of this year's prospects are head cases.

April 27, 2017 at 07:28 am

While most people like Watt, he seems to be very polarizing in terms of whether people want to see him be the pick at #29. I think his ceiling would be too hard to pass up, if he's there.

I agree: I think TT goes for a skill position guy on offense early (round 2), but I'm guessing WR rather than RB. With the signing of Evans taking some of the heat off picks in rounds 3-5, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Packers take John Ross at #29 if he slides (and his knees are OK).

Nick Perry's picture

April 27, 2017 at 07:51 am

" I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Packers take John Ross at #29 if he slides (and his knees are OK)"

Not a big fan of Ross myself. I guess I'd prefer someone a little bigger like Godwin from Penn St. or even Zay Jones from East Carolina. Godwin is my "draft crush" this year and IMO the Packers need to start restocking the position this year.

April 27, 2017 at 08:19 am

Based on what you'd posted before, I would've thought you'd be more on the "Zay Jones is my draft crush" track. I like Godwin better than Jones, myself. I just think he'll have an easier time getting off the line against press than Jones. A better athlete than some of the players the Packers have drafted with similar H/W in recent years.

Ross is one of these guys, especially if they can establish him early in the season, that's going to demand the attention of a safety every time he's on the field and open everything up. This is what they want Davis to be...but I don't think he ever will be. I like Curtis Samuel for that reason: speed to burn, and strong, and could become that "take the top off the defense" kind of receiver as he matures.

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 02:36 pm

I completely agree with you, dobber. It'll come down to value. Essentially, who will be available in round 3? I really do like Curtis Samuel, more than Ross to be honest-- health, hands, value. But if we are assuming Curtis Samuel goes in Round 2, I am 100% leaning towards Godwin in Round 3.

mrtundra's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:24 am

Ross may be fast, but I am leery of his ability to catch the ball. Zay Jones would be a solid addition. I like Cooper Kupp and Godwin but not in the first round.

fthisJack's picture

April 27, 2017 at 07:59 am

since they signed Evans....i like the thought of getting me some Perine in the third. big strong with some wiggle....lacey type without the weight issue.

Savage57's picture

April 27, 2017 at 07:34 am

Al. Curious as to how many hours of research and review you have to put in to be able to:

a) find some of these guys from schools like Lamar and Albany State?

b) try and figure out where to slot these guys?

Since I assume 'a lot' is a good starting point, far be it for me to question it and start tossing out my $0.02 rebuttals and arguments like they have any value.

All fans can ever do is wait, wonder, watch, and then worry and wail.

Handsback's picture

April 27, 2017 at 07:49 am

Al it's a great stab in the dark. All of your picks seem to be in reasonable spots and fit a need. I guess tonight and this weekend, we will see what the brain trust of the Packers do.

JerseyAl's picture

April 27, 2017 at 08:00 am

A stab in the dark is certainly what it is. I've had pretty good success with first round picks, but after that, it's really difficult to get any right...

April 27, 2017 at 08:17 am

Chaos theory starts to take over after round 1.

MarkinMadison's picture

April 27, 2017 at 08:37 am

I doubt that TT himself could predict his draft class with more than 50% accuracy.

April 27, 2017 at 08:42 am

That made me smile...

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 27, 2017 at 03:53 pm

It's really difficult to get anything at the end of round 1 right.

4zone's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:01 am

Wonder what you would come up with if you went CB in round one. I believe it will be one or the other unless there are deep runs on both earlier in the round. Then all bets are off.

mrtundra's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:29 am

I want to say I doubt TT picks a CB in the first round, but, then, he did go after Damarious Randall. If he does go for a CB at 29, it may be Marlon Humphries who get picked.

sonomaca's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:57 am

Some evidence that Conley is innocent. What about him at #29?

April 27, 2017 at 01:28 pm

I think that unless he's miraculously cleared of all wrongdoing before draft time, he's probably off TTs board.

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 01:07 pm

I think if we go corner (Quincy Wilson/Gareon Conley) in round 1, we may see round two being Duane Smoot or Tyus Bowser.

April 27, 2017 at 01:29 pm

Do you think Bowser makes it to #61? Smoot will be there, I think, but I'm skeptical on Bowser.

JerseyAl's picture

April 27, 2017 at 01:36 pm

3 weeks ago I was told he was the top corner on their board. Now, who knows...

April 27, 2017 at 01:41 pm

I think a lot of boards were monkeyed up by this one...

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 02:24 pm

I do not think Bowser makes it to #61. I think it is worth trading up 10-15 spots (if he starts falling) and giving up the 5th round conditional to acquire him. Of course, all pending how the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd pan out. Is he worth the 5th round conditional?

Cheesey51's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:09 am

I'd be very surprised if the Packers take Watt. I'd like Bowser LB from Houston or King CB Washington in 1st rd.and see them trade up in 2nd round and get Wormley DT from Michigan

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 01:28 pm

Bowser isn't Round 1 material IMO, not by far though. Tyus in Round 2 following a solid CB pick in Round 1 would be a great way to start the draft off. Bowser is probably early round 2, but I don't see him creeping up into the first. Would love to see TT find a way to pull him in Round 2 if we go Corner in 1.

Finwiz's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:26 am

I have a feeling they won't take TJ Watt, because he doesn't hold the edge very well against the run.
It wasn't all that evident at WI because there were others around to clean up the rush's, but I've seen film where he doesn't disengage very well from a tackle that get's his hands on him. It's a weakness in his game.

April 27, 2017 at 10:01 am

Sounds a little like #52...

sonomaca's picture

April 27, 2017 at 09:55 am

Lots of people slotting Mixon based on rumors. If Mahomes is there in mid-20's, would Pack jump Houston? Do they think he's the next #12?

April 27, 2017 at 10:00 am

OK...I've said I wouldn't mock, but I'm going to do it anyway (just 5 rounds). Looking longer-term at emerging needs. My guess is that I'm missing the right slot for some of these later guys.

1. TJ Watt, EDGE, Wisconsin. Just because it's obvious doesn't make it wrong.
2. Taylor Moton, OG, WMU. Yes, I know they signed Evans, but the Packers may need to replace BOTH G positions after 2017. Big, strong, athletic, has experience at T, and flashes the nasty.
3. Shaquill Griffin, CB, UCF. High character, good athlete and tackler with the traits to play press CB.
4. Shelton Gibson, WR, WV. Dynamic, ultra-competitive field-stretching WR.
5a. Jadar Johnson, S Clemson. Developmental S with ball skills.
5b. Ifaedi Odenigbo, EDGE, Northwestern. Hard-working pass rush specialist. Value pick.

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 01:16 pm

I was most impressed by Shaquill Griffin at the combine. . As a value pick, I don't think there's any better. Get that man a good coach and see what happens!

April 27, 2017 at 10:11 am

Really can't disagree from a BPA, need, concept. Last year you liked Butler DT. more. I thought Clarke ,but did like Billings. Billings got hurt. Watt is the no brainer. I agree. But I'm going with Obi Melifonwu as my alternate. Round 2 - I can't get away from Fabian Moreau CB UCLA. Even using a 5 pick to get him. Round 3 - I'm going with a DT here, Nazar Jones NC. I feel TT will be moving Clarke outside like Raji. Guions days are numbered. Round 4 - I like perine RB. But with the Adams being a FA. His replacement is easy. I'm taking Josh Malone Tenn. Alternate Carlos Henderson LU. Round 5 Bradon Langley CB Lamar. 5 Comp TJ Logan RB NC Round 6. Avante Collins G/T USC Round 7 . Corey Levin G/T Chatt.

April 27, 2017 at 11:20 am

I was so disappointed when they didn't take Butler last year. I had really allowed myself to get sucked in on him. I think he ended up playing most of last season on a bad ankle, didn't he? I always get buyers remorse when I write a mock...

I just don't think Moreau will be there past about pick 50. I like his athleticism and upside, but I fear that the thinning of the CB pool will push him a little higher. Big bodies with length (like Jones) are hard to find once you get out of the top couple rounds. I like Carlos Henderson...he and Gibson have some similarities.

April 27, 2017 at 01:39 pm

Butler did play better later in the year. I did pick Clark. Because of the UCLA connections etc. I think Moreau can go before 61 too. Thats why I would throw in a draft choice. His injury gives the packers a chance. But I just think the packers are going to have to get a cB in the second, if they get watt. There are at least 10 Dbs that have to come off the board, before 50. Thats quite a run between 32-& 50. And in that run, you have 5 LBs, and 4 OLs , 4 DL,and 2wr/rb before Moreau. TT should be able to go up in a 10 pick range like last year. Unless someone overdrafts him. note*( I felt Billings would be off the board. Then the scandal broke. And he dropped. ) I think were going to hear more on Butler and Billings.

April 27, 2017 at 12:36 pm

"There are at least 10 Dbs that have to come off the board, before 50. Thats quite a run between 32-& 50. "

I have a hunch the Conley thing is going to have a trickle-down effect on this year's draft. CB might end up being a mess...

Colin_C's picture

April 27, 2017 at 10:28 am

After watching all sorts of game film, highlights, interviews, and general scouting buzz, he are "my guys" I'd love to see in Green and Gold. Obviously most of them won't be, but I'd be happy with some, and thrilled with others.

1. Adoree Jackson - He's so versatile, I could see being a starting WR, FS, or CB on any given day. He also has great character, and is class act on and off the field. Jackson has Packer written all over him.
2. Budda Baker - Another undersized, but versatile defensive chess piece, Baker plays like he's a linebacker with the body of a slot corner.
3. Joe Mathis - Extremely underrated EDGE players, limited by injuries. He's gonna be a good one.
4. Dalvin Cook - Imo, far and away the best back in the draft. I'd take him over Fournette or Mixon any day.
5. Corey Davis - If a talent like Davis falls, I'll be really surprised. He's the whole package at WR. the competition he played against was always the best, but the same could be said Khalil Mack a few years ago. That turned out pretty well...
6. Takk McKinley - Not as confident in him playing in a 3-4 D, but I see a lot of potential. Has the "it" factor when I watch his film.
7. Malik McDowell - I do have big concerns about his work ethic, but talent wise he looks top 10. Could finally be the defensive terror opposite Daniels we've been looking for.
8. Kareem Hunt - Hunt and Monty would be a great tandem in the backfield. He excellent vision and balance, and his ball security is other worldly. One fumble (which he recovered) in 900 career carries.
9. Desmond King - A possible mid round steal, King could be an improved Micah Hyde 2.0. Slot corner and safety are where he's best suited, and with his ball skills, I see a future Pro Bowler.
10. Vince Biegel - Can play inside or out, I'd take him over Watt just for his value (probably a third round pick). Has the tools to be a solid starter.

Can't wait until tonight!

Tundraboy's picture

April 27, 2017 at 10:52 am

Al,

Just upgraded my phone, Samsung Galaxy S 8 and after a couple of days App is not working normally. When in a column /article /Thread, page no longer scrolls down to comments. Tried everything. Any help would be great.

JerseyAl's picture

April 27, 2017 at 11:56 am

Please send an email with as much detail as possible to:

admin "at" cheeseheadtv dot com

worztik's picture

April 27, 2017 at 03:33 pm

Nice mock Al... hope you're da MAN!!!!

Tundraboy's picture

April 27, 2017 at 04:09 pm

Will do. Thanks

JerseyAl's picture

April 27, 2017 at 08:32 pm

see comment by wortzik below and my response...

worztik's picture

April 27, 2017 at 03:30 pm

This app has been changing the last few days... I just discovered the "fire" at the bottom of the screen!!! It shows how many comments and press it and it takes you to the comments!!! I'm NOT an expert at anything so, I hope this helps a bit!!!!

JerseyAl's picture

April 27, 2017 at 08:32 pm

you are correct - the developers are working on some things. This avoids the double login issue to leave a comment. Still experimenting.

April 27, 2017 at 10:59 am

I wonder, with Conley's issues, if it thins out the CB pool at #29. If the better edge guys are gone and there's no trading partner, whattaya do? That's my fear for tonight.

April 27, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Most still have him in the 2nd rd still. Kevin King and Humphrey will take his place. They'll both go in the first.

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 02:28 pm

If the edges go flying off the draft board early, we can focus on the other positions we need help with... Corner? Backer? There will be someone available in this draft at #29 that makes an impact year 1.

BigCheese2's picture

April 27, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I actually really like this mock. Would smile coming out of it if this actually happened. Any talk on here or thoughts on Joe Mixon if he drops to the Pack in round 2...?

JerseyAl's picture

April 27, 2017 at 05:35 pm

see my "whispers..." post about Mixon. I don't think he lasts, though.