Cory's Corner: Just Being Patient

Jordan Love and the Packers have both been patient since coming together in the 2020 NFL Draft.

We are just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The only news left for the Packers before training camp starts is if Jordan Love will get his deal done.

I think it will be soon.

Both sides want it to happen. Jordan Love is arguably one of the most intriguing players entering this NFL season. The entire NFL wasn’t sure what to expect from the Utah State standout that sat for three years as pro.

First round picks don’t do that anymore. That’s what makes this whole thing so mind bending. The Packers traded up in the first round to take a guy that they knew would sit the bench. And Love knew that he wasn’t going to play right away.

But neither party had quick feet. The Packers weren’t overly anxious about seeing what they had and Love didn’t become a distraction by jumping up and down and whining that he deserved to play.

Patience is what ultimately paid for both. The one attribute that isn’t freely available anymore thanks to artificial intelligence, better technology and more people in less space.

This marriage has worked out better than anyone could have imagined. And I think it’s even more amazing because of how sour the Aaron Rodgers exit was. Not to mention moving on from one of the best receivers the franchise ever knew.

If you need any more reason to be happy, just look to the south. Chicago is the epitome of quarterback terribleness. The Bears have started 29 quarterbacks since 2000. They have a pretty good reason to be filled with anxiety about the next 8-10 years.

Which is why the Packers and Love should be filled with even more patience. Green Bay has the ultimate weapon at the game’s most important position. This team not only has a winning road map for the future, it has a selfless player that isn’t afraid to put the team first.

And it has a team that isn’t afraid to do what’s right for the player. That’s pretty refreshing from a league that plays just about everyday of the week, has added a game to the regular season schedule and has cut down on days between games. All in the name of the almighty dollar.

Love isn’t just a remarkable quarterback. He is poised beyond anything we can fathom. What he has weathered pales in comparison to a safety or zone blitz, He has been through a pandemic in his rookie season, watched a future Hall of Famer be upset when he was drafted and watched one of the team’s best left tackles struggle with getting on and staying on the field.

There are some that still don’t think Love is ready.

And for those I simply say, be patient.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

Cory Jennerjohn is a graduate from UW-Oshkosh and has been in sports media for over 15 years. He was a co-host on "Clubhouse Live" and has also done various radio and TV work as well. He has written for newspapers, magazines and websites. He currently is a columnist for CHTV and also does various podcasts. He recently earned his Masters degree from the University of Iowa. He can be found on Twitter: @Coryjennerjohn

__________________________

July 09, 2024 at 07:47 am

I don't think Love is ready-
The game is baccarat and not Texas hold em.
And it's between the player and the banker.
So the smart thing is to " pass the shoe" till he's ready.
Show me he's earned it.
Replacing Rodgers just isn't enough.
And forget the Bears or the vikings.
So far Love has been a surprise.
As there were many as they got in play-offs.
The next step isn't improvement.
The next step is the super-bowl.
Not Love's contract.

tonyorth's picture

July 09, 2024 at 08:09 am

Balogna. If you buy a house (or sell) you pay the market rate. Live had a excellent second half. If that were due to ramdom chance alone then we would see what we saw far
more often. Pay the man or suffer like Chicago has via THEIR strategy, which as failed 29 times.

Flip a coin 29 times, Stockholder. Tails every time for you?

Johnblood27's picture

July 09, 2024 at 08:31 am

Don't feed the trolls... or the stocky posts...

BuckyBadger's picture

July 09, 2024 at 09:24 am

Love had an excellent 2nd half of the season, I don't know about you but I don't go all in on a stock that is that volatile. Lets not forget the SF game where Love wasn't very good at all. You might be paying top dollar for a house that is like the model home on Arrested Development.

mnbadger's picture

July 09, 2024 at 12:08 pm

Or, you buy a lesser house so you can afford to put your kids through college?
It's all about priorities.
I'm not yet ready to go back to cap hell because of 8 good games, albeit really good games.
Too many mouths to feed to put all the cake on one plate IMO.
GPG!

Hanspiel's picture

July 09, 2024 at 07:16 pm

Oddly enough, he didn't play that badly in SF. Sure, there were a couple obviously bad throws, but statistically 21% of his throws were bad, despite being pressured on 25% of drop backs. 29% of Purdy's throws were bad, with only 16% of his drop backs being pressured, but he still left with the win. Love's worst play of the game wouldn't have even happened had our kicker been reliable, and/or had our defense been consistent. Instead, he was forced to attempt to lead a TD drive against a top 5 defense in 1:07 in his second playoff game ever.

Also, he had 11(!) games last season with a passer rating at or above 108. You know who else did that last season? Nobody, that's who. The next best was Purdy, who had 10 games over 100, none of which were in the postseason. I'm unsure of what else a QB has to do to prove themselves. Made the playoffs in his first season as a starter? Check. Top 5 QBs in the league statistically? Check. An effectively perfect performance in his first postseason performance? Check. Left the team in position to seal an NFC Championship bid with less than 6 minutes left against the #1 seed? Check. Outperformed future Hall of Famer in the same season he replaced him? Check. What more do you want?

Rory P Scrotem's picture

July 09, 2024 at 08:57 am

Stockholder...I usually enjoy reading your comments however lately you have been s-o-o off the mark it's not even worthy of a response. What's up with you Bud?

July 09, 2024 at 10:06 am

Love is still in development-
He needs Good players " Around Him"
He and you must realize that.
If you want to Love more and judge less.
Then spend the money.
He's to up and down for me yet.

Oppy's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:51 am

This guy, lol.

Cheezehead72's picture

July 09, 2024 at 08:40 am

I predicted early in the off season that Love would be signed for about 48 mil per year for a 4 year contract with a lot of guaranteed money.

Now I have to up that to 52 or 53 mil per year on a 4 year contract with at least 75% being guaranteed. And that is the least.

Yes the Packers will have to pay him what he wants because he is there best option for the next 4 years.

Yes I would like to see the deal get done early but that will not be enough because I want to see what happens this season.

BuckyBadger's picture

July 09, 2024 at 09:25 am

His agent is going to ask for close to $60M and a ton of it guaranteed. He isn't going to want a lot more than what Goff just got signed for.

Leatherhead's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:39 am

I thought it would be around $50, but it could well be close to $60M. Figure $55M,most of it guaranteed. And it'll be worth it, as long as Love is healthy, and that means a lot of max protection when we throw downfield, and getting the ball out of his hands quickly when we don't.

We've spent a ton of resources on Love and the Receivers. This doesn't suggest we're planning to run more.

BuckyBadger's picture

July 09, 2024 at 09:22 am

Patience needs to be exercised by the front office. There is no reason to break the bank for Love yet. He is under contract and they have the franchise tag in their back pocket. Setting the market with him now puts the whole franchise is a tenuous situation it doesn't need to be. Love had a stretch of games he looked pretty good and put up great stats but he also has some very concerning aspects to his game that show up as well. In the SF game he did not play well. His accuracy was off and his INTs where both on him because of a bad throw and a bad decision. His mechanics, something the coaching staff has admitted, isn't great. If you set the market for a QB you better know he is a top 5 player. Only two QBs taking up over 13% of the cap have ever won a Super Bowl, Mahomes and Brady. Don't pay for Mahomes and get Kirk Cousins, that doesn't work.

If you put all your eggs in one basket the franchise will have to make cuts in other areas. This roster is full of talent but they won't be able to attain them all once you pay out big at QB. Look at what the Bills had to do this off season and Allen is similar with Love in that he struggles with accuracy at times but has a live arm and great athletic ability. That franchise just hit the reset button and I wouldn't be shocked if they make a front office change soon.

GregC's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:54 am

The Packers did not draft Love in the first round and sit him on the bench for three years so they could ditch him as soon as he started playing well. It would take a huge discrepancy between the Packers' expectations and Love's expectations for this deal not to get done.

I've often heard that trope about teams with highly paid QBs (as a certain percentage of the salary cap) not winning the Super Bowl, but I've never heard how big that pool is, i.e. how many teams have had QBs who earned more than 13% of their salary cap? Does anybody know?

Leatherhead's picture

July 09, 2024 at 12:30 pm

Actually, Cubbygold laid it out about a year and a half ago in a post here, and maybe somebody remembers or maybe he'd repost them.

Teams win Super Bowls with young QBs. By the time they've hit 30, and are probably near the end of their second deal, you're probably ahead, most of the time, to start over with another one.

I'll give you a case in point. Aaron Rodgers. After winning the Super Bowl in 2010, Rodgers was only making $6.5M. He was 27. And he had some other very good seasons, but he never got back to the Super Bowl. His last 5 years here, when he was already over 35, he earned almost $175M...$37M/year. He was the MVP twice, but maybe it would have been better if some of that money had been spent elsewhere and we'd gone with a cheaper, younger QB that we had prepared for his shot.

I think that having the same starting QB for 10-15 years is probably not a real good strategy. They win when they're young. Use their best years and then trade them away.

mnbadger's picture

July 09, 2024 at 05:11 pm

Great take LH!
2 thumbs way the heck UP!
GPG!

LLCHESTY's picture

July 09, 2024 at 05:47 pm

Nonsense. Even taking away Brady there have been just as many over 30 QBs win a SB as younger since 2000. It's also just as much about teams not being able to recreate their drafting success that got them there in the 1st place.

HawkPacker's picture

July 09, 2024 at 10:03 am

Not sure if anyone noticed but Stockholder had a comment here earlier that was apparently pulled by Cheesehead TV. There was at least one response to his silly comment that is also gone. Hmmmmm.

Looks like we are being watched for comment.

I noticed, in the past, that a few of my comment responses also vanished. Not sure why.

July 09, 2024 at 10:28 am

To my knowledge; No Comment was pulled.
I've never been political.
And I can only think of one comment that was.
Because of the other replies, not my reply.

If my views upset you. Tough.
If their disruptive- It's because
it conflicts with persuasive thinking,
character assignation, or against.
Turning on players that have proven
themselves is unfair. IMO
If you want a proxy vote,
try another comment.

LeotisHarris's picture

July 09, 2024 at 09:18 pm

I think all of us can agree there is no place for character assignation in our discourse especially if it conflicts with persuasive thinking.

Bitternotsour's picture

July 09, 2024 at 09:27 pm

i'm becoming increasingly resignating to that eventuality

HawkPacker's picture

July 11, 2024 at 07:59 am

Stock, just commenting on what I saw at the time.

And no, your comments do not upset me at all. Sometimes I laugh, other times I just shake my head and wait for the responses and down votes. All in fun Stock. Don't get so defensive!

GregC's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:38 am

I'm fine with them deleting comments that don't contribute to the discussion. Less clutter for me to scroll through.

LLCHESTY's picture

July 09, 2024 at 05:55 pm

I've noticed that sometimes comments disappear when you log in, especially longer threads. Funnily enough a lot of times they're Stockholder's comments so I don't complain much.

The next time you notice it try logging off and see if they return.

HawkPacker's picture

July 11, 2024 at 07:57 am

His comments went missing and I see that now they are back.

Not sure how that works but I have seen it with other comments as well.

Johnblood27's picture

July 12, 2024 at 08:03 am

I had one of my posts removed due to political leanings.

I have also had nagler blast at me with his leftist BS which I shut down. That exchange was not deleted.

I get the 'rules' and the valid reason for them, what I don't particularly like is the uneven application of said 'rules'.

I guess the 'Golden Rule" still applies - He Who Has The Gold Makes The Rules - and around here the CHTV editors have the Gold - it is their website, so their shaded political viewpoints are allowed, but woe be unto he who disagrees!

TXCHEESE's picture

July 09, 2024 at 10:43 am

Not a king's ransom, but you have to pay the man. If you order and expect a porterhouse and lobster, you have to pay for the porterhouse and lobster. I'm absolutely sure they will come to an agreement, and yes it will be pricey, but not crazy.

Leatherhead's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:34 am

The franchise has shown patience at the QB position. I'm wondering if more organizations are going to start following suit. We didn't know if Rodgers could play until late in his 3rd season when he came in and played really well in Dallas. We were patient with him the next year, when we went from 13-3 to 6-10. We were patient with the Gumchewer, but when we needed him to play well enough to keep us in contention in 2017, he couldn't do it. We've been patient with guys like Hasselbeck, and Flynn, and they became decent QBs.

The idea that the organization, or Love, will screw this up is crazy, IMO. It's going to be a lot of money and some fans will think it's too much, but the Packers, and Love, have done four years of hard work to put us in a position to make a run at the Super Bowl, and they aren't going to throw that away.

T7Steve's picture

July 09, 2024 at 12:20 pm

The deal will be done, LH. We'll probably have this topic at least once a week till it gets done. Same with all the other topics. What else can we do till TC starts in a couple weeks?

LambeauPlain's picture

July 09, 2024 at 12:25 pm

I do not care what Love gets paid as long it is win-win. Love wins with a K he is happy with. Packers win with a K that minimizes cap cost with a long term deal.

I have always been a fan of Jordan. He's had to overcome significant challenges. At age 12 he lost his Dad, Mentor, Coach, & Police Officer due to very deep depression and eventual suicide (caused by a blood pressure medication).

He almost gave up football but his Mom encouraged him to do what his Dad would have wanted. He did.

His HS career was excellent and followed by more excellent QB play at Utah State as a sophomore. He was solid as a Junior, but challenged with complete coaching turnover, loss of starting OL & WRs to graduation. He was still a team leader and declared for the draft, ending up as a first rounder for the Pack.

Huge pressure was heaped on the young man as fans panned the selection, Rodgers got all surly and stuff. But he maintained his humility, work ethic, and quiet demeanor.

I agree he had a rough start as a starter...but even then, I saw nothing that soured me on the young man. Then as the O began to fire on all cylinders, Love led his team behind center. And they followed. He is now a core Leader of the Team...he knows he is...and so far, has not changed who he is. Still humble and hungry.

I hope he is delighted with his new K...and the Packers and fans are delighted with his performance. I like Love's odds.

Johnblood27's picture

July 12, 2024 at 08:07 am

LP, you are the rudder on our sailboat.

A steadying influence, yet unseen from the horizon.

Perspective is everything, I applauded the Love selection at the time, as did MLF with a jumping fist pump, I support Love now yet I wish for a reasonable contract that doesn't handicap the TEAM from keeping as many of the core players properly paid and in GB as we roll to multiple SB victories over the next decade.

If Gutey keeps drafting the same as he has for the past 3 drafts, the shelves will be full of jars just waiting for their chance to become contributing members of the Dynastic GBP of the 2020's!

EnemyTerritory's picture

July 09, 2024 at 02:33 pm

I can’t wait for real football news. That said a thank you to the CHTV writers for keeping the coals of the offseason warm…

As to Love. I’m floored by talk of a 55-60mil contract but it is what it is. The most important position in all of professional sports is an NFL QB and they will be paid for that. Truth is that if you do not have at least a top 15 QB your franchise is doomed to mediocrity. Every new QB contract resets at least the market floor. Given the expected increase in cap year over year, the Love deal will not be onerous in 3-4 years. I pose the alternative question…if you do not pay love what do you do? Roll the dice finding a new equivalent QB with amid to late round 1st round draft pick who can start immediately? In the context of exploding WR salaries…? IMHO pay the man but front load cap hits just in case it doesn’t work out and to allow for paying the WR crew in two three years

gkarl's picture

July 09, 2024 at 05:25 pm

45,50,55,60M does it really matter, when you are making that much you have generational wealth. If you want to win, which everybody seems to think is what JL is all about, share the wealth, take a LITTLE less make the team better. He will still get another big contract if he earns it and still might anyway. Give him the $$, but high $$ up front to secure his future and still be able to surround him with the players to make his legacy. Seems that worked for AR when he was young, why not JL

TheTaxiSquad's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:19 pm

Watch the first half of the SF game. Not good!!

TheTaxiSquad's picture

July 09, 2024 at 11:27 pm

I have hope like everyone else. But I also have realistic expectations. It’s football! Sometimes good players suck. Sometimes good teams lose. From what I see, the Packers are a fired up bunch of dudes this year. My expectations are higher than they have been for a few years. But I’m also realistic. The first half of the San Francisco game was not good! It was actually really bad! Rewatch. But I have hope.