What grade would you give Darnell Savage so far?

From Tuesday's #PackersDaily chat, Aaron responds to a question regarding what grade he would give Packers safety Darnell Savage so far for his time so far in Green Bay.

PatrickGB's picture

February 15, 2022 at 12:57 pm

C+

Oppy's picture

February 15, 2022 at 01:36 pm

I was going to go with a flat C.

Savage seemed like he might be starting to finally catch on a bit in 2019/2020.. but he lost any slight momentum he was building in 2021.

Would I resign him? Yes, if he agrees to a very modest salary. I'd also be looking for his replacement.

Roadrunner23's picture

February 15, 2022 at 01:34 pm

Savage

The kid has all the tools speed and athleticism.

However he lacks two important things, instincts and size.

Many times his speed gets him in trouble as he actually arrives early and overruns plays.
And because of his speed he also takes bad angles, thinking he can get there in time to make the play.

When he does arrive on time he bounces off too many tackles.

Savage Has made some nice plays but has dropped way too many interceptions that could’ve turned games around. He has some promise but hasn’t shown the consistency to be a game changing safety.

Nick Collins arrived in his third year, Savage is behind that curve and may never be the Player worthy of the first Safety taken in the draft class GRADE C+

Dragon5's picture

February 15, 2022 at 01:45 pm

Savage: elevated injury risk in a personal 7 year begins on his birthday July 30th, just as training camp kicks off.

February 15, 2022 at 03:01 pm

D !!!!

haevs6's picture

February 15, 2022 at 03:56 pm

I think you have to give him a 'D', and that may be generous. Remember we moved up from #30 to #21 to get him, gave up 2 #4 picks, #'s 114 & 118.

He still had many missed tackles this year, but better than 2020. He ranked #59 from Pro Football Focus for all safeties' on missed tackles. 59 !!

He gave up 100+ yards to TE Mark Andrews in 1st half of Baltimore game & we had to switch to K King.
Do you remember the long TD at the end of half against Bengals and totally whiffed on the ball?

I know they thought we were drafting Nick Collins, but they missed the boat with this guy. I think we can do much better.

BAMABADGER's picture

February 15, 2022 at 04:57 pm

C- He hasn't displayed consistency in coverage or tackling.

MrFitz66's picture

February 15, 2022 at 08:07 pm

B-

He definitely leaves you wanting more, especially when we gave up picks to get him and not enough game changing plays, but we have also had worse. He still has a chance to blossom into a playmaker. This Defense is really ready to step up, he is a part of that,

Johnblood27's picture

February 16, 2022 at 10:35 am

I am sorry to say that a solid grade of D is firmly deserved for Savage through 3 seasons.

One half of one season of pretty decent play sandwiched around rookie mistakes and hesitancy and then seemingly disinterested play and obvious shortcomings has left me wanting much more for a first round selection which cost an additional pair of 4th rounders.

The lack of progression, waaaay too many missed tackles and poor coverage along with dropped interceptions is simply unacceptable for someone with so much raw talent.

Is the kid unsalvageable due to mental deficiencies or has his developmental coaching failed him or has he been used in ways to amplify his weaknesses while hiding his strengths? I am not certain of the reason(s) why, all I know is that the savage experiment is entering a very critical season.

Just not good enough thus far.

ImaPayne's picture

February 16, 2022 at 02:57 pm

I would give him a C. HIs problem, lack of speed and closing. His only interceptions cmae when he was out of place and the ball was under thrown to him. He aint that good.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

February 16, 2022 at 03:26 pm

I hated the trade up for Savage; that was terrible. It was even worse when the guy I preferred, Juan Thornhill, was available in the second round. Savage regressed this year; I hope he improves next season. For his career so far, I give him a C-

February 17, 2022 at 01:42 am

Straight grade: Flat C but I could see a C- grade.
On a curve: Flat D. 21st pick and he is not quite average.

He seems close sometimes to being really good. CW's comment that perhaps the safeties needed a year to adapt to Barry might be something to consider. Still, exercising his option is probably the better choice.

Bill_D's picture

February 18, 2022 at 10:07 pm

The Packers last 3 great free safetys (LeRoy, Sharper, and Collins) all had flashes of being great through their first 3 years, which is often lost in the inconsistent play. I remember all the same criticisms for them: bad hands, poor angles, bad tackling, etc.

Yet each was an All-Pro year 4. I agree he is a B-, but look for a big jump next year.