Surprise: Whitney Mercilus returns to practice

DT Kingsley Keke also returned to practice after a lengthy absence due to illness.

When Whitney Mercilus tore his biceps back in November, the prospects of getting him back for the playoffs seemed remote at best.

Well, the Packers may be getting Mercilus back for the playoffs.

The veteran pass rusher was designated to return and was on the practice field today.

Obviously, this is great news. Getting Mercolus back at the same time the team works Za'Darius Smith back into the rotation gives defensive coordinator Joe Barry plenty of options up front.

The team also saw Kingsley Keke return to practice today after a lengthy absence due to illness.

Needless to say, the Packers defensive front should be locked and loaded for next week's Divisional Round game.

Coldworld's picture

January 13, 2022 at 11:09 am

It is a surprise! A good one.

croatpackfan's picture

January 14, 2022 at 10:00 am

Well, if he torm muscle tissue, it might not be complete tear. In that case, recovery may be shorter than if he torn fully. Also, if he torn tendon, that is different beast.

However, this is really very good news.

packer132's picture

January 13, 2022 at 06:27 pm

Looks like the #1 seed was a huge boost for the Packers. I am surprised Mercilus practiced, as most thought he was done for the season. Having this weekend off with no game helps even the healthy players who are probably not 100% after 17 weeks of NFL football. Green Bay might have these players starting in the first playoff game:
Bakhtiari, Myers, Z Smith, Alexander, Cobb, Keke, Turner, and Mercilus. I can't wait.

Packers0808's picture

January 13, 2022 at 11:29 am

Reprieve of the week off seems to be a boon at the right time for the Packers! Man I hope we get to the SB and win solidly!

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 13, 2022 at 11:33 am

Sick.

PackfanNY's picture

January 13, 2022 at 11:37 am

Probably still a long shot that he plays but the thought he might is just crazy.

The other guys like Z and Jaire were out a serious amount of time. I kind of expected them back for the playoffs. But Mercilous? Wow.

Spock's picture

January 13, 2022 at 12:22 pm

I was actually surprised that Merilous was supposed to be out for the season when the injury happened. I tore my left biceps tendon completely off the bone many years ago and it was repaired and I couldn't lift anything larger than a soda can for six weeks; but after six weeks it was good as new! Unfortunately I have now torn my right biceps off the bone (in August) but because I also wrecked my shoulder there was no point in re-attaching it to an unattached joint. Sounds like Mercilous's injury was somewhere in between, but he's an exceptional athlete so I would expect he's made a full recovery! Great news! GPG!

PackfanNY's picture

January 13, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Jeez, Spock that sounds painful. You’re making me cringe.

I do think that having to push 300 pound lineman is the problem. Good as new but for someone like Mercilus a reinjury by coming back too soon is a career ending risk.

Spock's picture

January 13, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Actually the left biceps was stapled and STRONGER than before so I'm guessing Mercilus will have no issues pushing those big bodies around. -and yeah I keep myself on a strict count of how many Oxycodone (I use a chart on my kitchen board and limit myself to 4 -5 a day) because joint injuries are painful (and I've got got back and knee issues as well, sigh). On the plus side I have our soon to be SB team to watch!!! Don't cringe for me, lot's of other people with bigger problems: Just got a Christmas card from a woman who's husband just committed suicide after dealing with ALS (Lew Gehring disease) for years. The holidays sometimes just suck when you open a card and learn what other people's lives have been through in the last year, or worse get a returned card because the person is dead. Sorry to bring that into the conversation but It's kind of my life these days. The important thing is to stay positive and laugh as often as you can! :)

Guam's picture

January 13, 2022 at 02:56 pm

Sorry to hear of your ailments Spock, but your frame of mind seems to be very strong! Good luck to you. One byproduct of your story is that I remembered to count my blessings. I am older, but still healthy. Reminded me to appreciate what I have!

January 13, 2022 at 05:56 pm

May your typing fingers continue to function! Best wishes, TGR.

Ya_tittle's picture

January 13, 2022 at 11:53 am

You know it would be SO GREAT to see him and Marcedes Lewis playing in their first Super Bowls.

Alberta_Packer's picture

January 13, 2022 at 12:26 pm

Wonderful serendipity!

jurp's picture

January 13, 2022 at 04:34 pm

It would be even better to see them both play in their first Super Bowls, both make at least one meaningful play (a first down on third down for Lewis, a half-sack, sack, or TFL for Mercilus) and then WIN their first Super Bowl!

Ya_tittle's picture

January 13, 2022 at 06:41 pm

Well said. Then followed by these two old goats hoisting the Lombardi.

Alberta_Packer's picture

January 13, 2022 at 12:23 pm

This latest surprise - news, is the closest proof as to the existence of football gods.

Tundraboy's picture

January 13, 2022 at 01:05 pm

Wow, that's great , unexpected news! I really like what we saw in that one short flash ,what one game? Arrow is truly pointed up this year.

flackcatcher's picture

January 13, 2022 at 01:47 pm

Well, the God of Injury does owe the Packers. But this, WOW. In football terms, this gives them two OLB who can set the edge in the run game and two OLB who can gap rush. In real terms, if the Packers can get anything from Z and Mercilus this changes the defensive scheme that Barry can run in a big (positive) way. Coming back in-season from a BI injury... Amazing!

CheesyTex's picture

January 13, 2022 at 03:20 pm

You hit the nail on the head. Even 10 plays a game from Z and Mercilus along with well rested Preston, Gary and Campbell is truly exciting.

jurp's picture

January 13, 2022 at 04:35 pm

And it'll force the opposing offenses to account for Z and Mercilus in their game plans.

jh9's picture

January 13, 2022 at 02:01 pm

At the 2012 NFL Combine, Merculis ran a 4.68. Krys Barnes’ 40 time was 4.79.
Just sayin’…

NickPerry's picture

January 14, 2022 at 05:56 am

But...They play different positions so I'm trying to get your point. Not being critical of the comment, just trying to understand it.

jh9's picture

January 16, 2022 at 01:24 am

The Cowboys’ ILB Leighton Vander Esch weighs 260. Whitney Mercilus is 258.
Get the best eleven defenders on the field. (Thinking outside the box.)

jont's picture

January 13, 2022 at 02:23 pm

Outstanding.
I just wrote in another thread that I thought he still had something in the tank at 31 and, maybe, possibly, be worth a look as a back-up next year in spite of his age.
He looked in the first half of the Seahawk game, really fast. I hope we see a few pressures and a sack in the playoffs.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

January 13, 2022 at 03:39 pm

This is nuts. So many players to rotate back in.

jhtobias's picture

January 13, 2022 at 03:52 pm

If zadarious and whitney can each take 20 to 25 snaps it would be huge . You would have a 4 man olb od gary and preston smith then zadarious and whitney which would be beyond huge.

Also really cold weather slows down the run and guys like lowrey and lancaster thrive in these conditions lunch bucket strong men to clog the middle.

Gman1976's picture

January 13, 2022 at 04:03 pm

Awesome news! Before his injury, our defense seemed to be in a very good groove.

Starrbrite's picture

January 13, 2022 at 05:10 pm

Absolutely outstanding news.
I was at the Seahawks game when got hurt—he was really giving Wilson fits and my thinking was, was a great FA signing.
I hope he finds his mojo again!

Tundraboy's picture

January 14, 2022 at 12:51 am

I thought exactly the same thing at that time. And then Damn.! He looked like the proverbial missing piece. Better late than never. Hope he's anywhere near full strength.

relleum61's picture

January 13, 2022 at 07:31 pm

The prospect of all that depth...waves of constant pressure and havoc...makes this a fantastic late Christmas present. 15-25 snaps from Z and Merculis would go a long way to keeping P. Smith and Gary fresh to the finish. I like the way this is shaping up. I hope the coaches and training staff can get them all in game shape! Click on and scroll down the Demovsky tweet. The Erin Alyce post just fires me up! https://twitter.com/herooine/status/1481697140493754375

Starrbrite's picture

January 13, 2022 at 08:35 pm

Right on Relleum!!

Since'61's picture

January 13, 2022 at 07:56 pm

Great news about Keke and Merciless. Can't use injuries as an excuse for this year's playoffs. The gang is all here. Go Pack Go!

Thanks, Since '61

Starrbrite's picture

January 13, 2022 at 08:36 pm

Exactly right ‘61—excuses are gone.

Bitternotsour's picture

January 13, 2022 at 11:09 pm

Tom Brady might not like that-
...The Texans intercepted Brady twice during an AFC divisional round playoff loss in January and sacked him twice. "Just getting to the pocket on him," said Texans outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, who sacked Brady once in the playoff game.

Starrbrite's picture

January 14, 2022 at 02:27 am

Excellent Bitternotsour. I hope Brady gets dumped on his head.
I’ve also grown weary of Brady’s offensive line never being called for holding.

coolhand's picture

January 14, 2022 at 10:12 am

Would be great to get both Mercilus and Z back in time for next week. What a pass rush we will have with them on the field and healthy.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

January 14, 2022 at 03:23 pm

I really thought Mercilus was more than just a normal FA pickup and he proved me right in the Seahawk game. You could just see him getting better and better as he learned the defense.

This is great news along with so many other players returning from injury. I wish all these players had a chance to play against Detroit like Myers and Bachtiari did in order to regain confidence mentally that their injury healed and to get back into game shape.

Im struggling to think MLF would just throw all these players, Jaire, Zadarius, Cobb, Mercilus, and Turner full time into a game. Hopefully, and I'm sure most will be rotated in here and there to get their feet back on the ground. Hopefully, we win next weekend with these players being rotated in and out, so they are fully ready to go for the NFCCG. I'm liking all this!

Starrbrite's picture

January 14, 2022 at 08:58 pm

“You could see him getting better and better,” that’s exactly what I saw.