Spencer Havner Arrested For DUI

UPDATED. Spencer Havner is facing DUI charges after a motorcycle accident early Saturday morning. Havner, 27, allegedly was driving a 2007 Kawasaki motorcycle.

All those good feelings from Fan Fest?

Gone.

Havner, 27, allegedly was driving a 2007 Kawasaki motorcycle around the end of a cul-de-sac off Indian Flat Road at about 2:45 a.m., according to a report from the California Highway Patrol. He allegedly lost control and crashed, fracturing his scapula, sustaining lacerations to the back of his head and left arm, as well as multiple abrasions.

Havner was not wearing a helmet, according to the CHP. He was taken to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital before law enforcement was contacted.

He was found to be under the influence and was arrested at the hospital, according to the CHP.

Damn it. Damn it all to hell.

UPDATE: As I'm sure most have seen by now, from Havner's agent:

Spencer suffered only minor injuries this weekend in an accident, including a broken scapula, but he should be fully recovered in short order. Despite unfounded media reports to the contrary, he has not been charged criminally with driving under the influence or alcohol or any other substance.

UPDATE II: Good digging from Bedard:

According to California Highway Patrol officer Heather Blancarte, this is what happened early in the morning of Saturday, March 13:

• Havner was riding his motorcycle eastbound on Woods Ravine in an unincorporated area of Nevada County. He made an unsafe turn and movement, which caused him to lose control of his bike and he was ejected;
  • Havner received "major" injuries;
  • He was taken to the hospital by private party;
  • CHP got the call from the hospital -- it is called in all injury accidents -- and Havner was contacted at the hospital, where he was tested for driving under the influence. He was subsequently arrested for DUI;
  • Havner was then released to the care of Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital in Grass Valley.
  • Blood-alcohol level is not releasable at this time.
  • Once the report is completed, it will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office.

Ruppert's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:24 pm

Bummer, man.

STANISLAW's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:25 pm

Moron - on a motorsickel no less . . .

Erik's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:26 pm

Rock. Stupid.

Seriously, half the guys on these forums would give anything to play just one game in the NFL. This kid slams down some brews and then gets on his motorcycle without a helmet. He may have made some plays last year, but this doesn't sound like Packer People to me.

kruger65's picture

March 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Really Erik? Yes, this is 'stupid.' But it's the stupidity to do a thing like this that makes them good football players. Granted, this is probably a bad example to look at, but the thrill of adrenaline is what fuels these guys. When I was playing college ball, us players, would do stupid things to get a rush. Maybe not as dumb as riding drunk, but you get the idea.

Erik's picture

March 16, 2010 at 09:53 am

That seems a bit silly and a huge jump in logic to me. These guys thrive on adrenaline that that excuses blantant disregard for his health and safety, the safety of others and breaking the law?

I'm not buying it. I was a football player in high school, was the workhorse back when my high school won state. So I have an inkling anyway and I don't follow you at all, Kruger.

PackerAaron's picture

March 16, 2010 at 10:40 am

It's the lack of helmet that gets me. Just monumentally stupid.

Kruger65's picture

March 16, 2010 at 12:40 pm

No no no, don't get me wrong. It's not an excuse. And If Havner is found guilty of DUI I'm sure he'll be treated like any other found guilty of the same crime. But, I don't think that we can take this one incident and say that he isn't a Packer person. To my knowledge, with the exception of this, Havner has been a model Packer. Seems to fit the 'lunch pail' label to me.

My point is that no one should be shocked when a football player does something like this. It doesn't mean they took their status for granted. They just made a humanly mistake that a guy who feeds on adrenaline to make a living is very prone to such mistakes.

bigfog's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:29 pm

Oy, that really sucks.

polarbears815's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:33 pm

At least the TE class in the draft is supposedly deep. Looks like we're going to need one.

Ron LC's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:36 pm

At least he's not Rothlesburger (sp??).

Andyman's picture

March 15, 2010 at 09:55 pm

*shakes head* Wow. Just...wow.

Dilligaff's picture

March 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm

It is just so sad. The guy has worked so hard to finally make a roster and has a great year. He makes one bad decision and throws away an opportunity of a life time. I have made some bad decisions in my life and I just got lucky nothing happened.

Oppy's picture

March 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm

It's a shame this kid did something stupid a lot of kids do. It's a bigger shame he broke a bone in the process, thus heightening the chances even more so that he doesn't see the field this year.

I won't vilify Havenor for this incident- I'd have to vilify most of the state of Wisconsin as well- but damn, what a poor decision for anyone to make for the obvious reasons, especially poor considering the opportunities this young man has in front of him.

Hopefully he recovers quickly and learned a lesson, and thank goodness his stupidity didn't hurt anyone else.

hyperRevue's picture

March 16, 2010 at 07:53 am

Idiotic decision no doubt, but this injury shouldn't keep him off the field.

FITZCORE1252's picture

March 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm

MAN. Lucky he didn't kill himself or worse, somebody else. He has potential, I hope he gets another shot. Dumb though, real, fucking, DUMB.

GBP 4 LIFE

jack's picture

March 16, 2010 at 12:18 am

what an idiot. maybe this is his wake up call

misterj's picture

March 16, 2010 at 01:36 am

my only hope is that this is unconfirmed. his agent said he hasn't been arrested for DUI, but..
i can't have an opinion, not until it's confirmed by other outlets or him/his agent.

nerdmann's picture

March 16, 2010 at 01:36 am

Get a good lawyer dude. And come see me for that shoulder.

Jeff's picture

March 16, 2010 at 03:16 am

Police might not press charges and he's expected to miss part of the off-season conditioning program, but be healthy in time for the OTAs in May.

Graffin's picture

March 16, 2010 at 06:11 am

Agent is denying he was drunk...

PackersRS's picture

March 16, 2010 at 06:20 am

Not a big deal, as far as I know, it's his first felony, if there's gonna be any, which I doubt since his agent is denying.

Plus, his injuries are minor.

He'll still be our #2 TE...

CSS's picture

March 16, 2010 at 07:08 am

Misdemeanor, not felony.

PackersRS's picture

March 16, 2010 at 07:12 am

Right... I don't know the penal classifications of the United States, so...

Here in Brazil, DUI is considered a felony... And death in traffic accident is considered a type of murder, instead of manslaughter...

Ron LC's picture

March 16, 2010 at 02:58 pm

RS,

In the US it is a State by State call. Here is WI the first offense is not a crime it is an administrative violation subject to fines and license revocation. CA may prosecute a first violation as a misdemeanor or a felony. Also, was this his first violation? Very complicated.

By the way are you in Rio of Sao Paulo?

madden07's picture

March 16, 2010 at 06:56 am

packer people, my ass

CSS's picture

March 16, 2010 at 07:04 am

Hayvner's Agent:

"Despite unfounded media reports to the contrary, he has not been charged criminally with driving under the influence of alcohol or any other substance."

Looking foward to the release of blood toxicology reports.

maxginsberg's picture

March 16, 2010 at 07:12 am

I wonder how many people who comment about Havner's stupidity have DUIs themselves? I love the state of Wisconsin, but its culture of alcoholism is out of control.

Dilligaff's picture

March 16, 2010 at 07:43 am

Or just got lucky during the courses of their lives and never got caught, if people are honest with themselves.

Ruppert's picture

March 16, 2010 at 08:08 am

Wisconsin is not the only state with this problem. Wisconsin's wonderful state government, however, is the only state to view a 1st offense DUI as a forfeiture. So nothing is going to change there until the braintrust in Madison quits taking money from the Tavern League lobby.

Franklin Hillside's picture

March 16, 2010 at 10:52 am

Thank you, Ruppert.

Becky's picture

March 16, 2010 at 01:04 pm

My father was killed by a drunk driver here in Wisconsin, so this is a touchy subject for me. Havner was stupid and careless, but I hope he will rebound physically and mentally from his accident. I am more troubled by all the drunks leaving Lambeau Field after games--it is a miracle there are not more accidents on game days. Highway 41, the route I take home, can be downright scary.

FITZCORE1252's picture

March 16, 2010 at 06:17 pm

Sorry about your father Becky, that's just terrible. You're right about 41, people are still buzzed and trying to make good time...

GBP 4 LIFE

Becky's picture

March 16, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

Dilligaff's picture

March 16, 2010 at 08:46 am

If everyone is honest with themselves, the majority (not all) have been lucky and never got caught during the their lives. If you can get on your soap box and say never, good for you. The majority of people at one point in their lives have done something under the influence, even if that behavior is long gone now.

Sad part about Havner is that he is a good guy as far as his work ethic. He spent 3 years on the practice squad on shaky ground trying to make the roster, finally made it and made an impact his first year. That takes a certain amount of character and determination to do that.

I understand what some people are feeling, most of us would love an opportunity to play in the NFL and fine it hard to believe that they would risk that opportunity with a motorcycle and drinking.

NickGBP's picture

March 16, 2010 at 09:00 am

We all learn from our mistakes and although this (if true) was a stupid and unnecessary one. Thankfully noone was hurt from it. Hopefully he recognizes he was lucky and it won't happen again.

coloradopackerfan's picture

March 16, 2010 at 11:56 am

He'll be fine. He is still going to play this season.

Everyone makes mistakes. Just because they play in the NFL doesn't mean they are perfect people.

Anyone condemning someone for a DUI is a hypocrite. Most everyone has driven under the influence at some point. If you haven't I am sure you have done something else that was a bad decision.

Stop judging so much at try to support the guy in recovery and be happy he is okay.

nerdmann's laptop's picture

March 16, 2010 at 03:30 pm

If what Bedard says is true, then he should walk. If he gets a good lawyer. He was transported to the hospital by a private party, then they only tested his blood a significant amount of time later. So they don't know how much was in his blood at the time of the alleged incident.
Idiotic move, but I don't think they can convict him.

foundinidaho's picture

March 16, 2010 at 05:49 pm

Kids do stupid things. Havner's a kid, even if he's a highly paid one. People, I understand this is a charged issue, believe me, but I don't think this makes him not Packer People. As someone pointed out, the number of drunks at Lambeau (and frankly, I probably could have been counted among them, though I was not drinking) would discount the fact that drinking and doing things that are pretty dumb preclude you from our little club.

That said, I hope Spencer gets his head out of his ass. If he's a smart kid, this will do it for him. Trust me on that one.

foundinidaho's picture

March 16, 2010 at 05:50 pm

I should have said I was not driving, not that I was drinking. There, just cut me off.

jerseypackfan's picture

March 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Raise your glasses gentlemen...Three cheers for Spencer"Haveanother"Havner!

joelkleinium's picture

March 17, 2010 at 09:30 am

Do you think Ted will cut him after this?

PackerAaron's picture

March 17, 2010 at 09:49 am

joel - highly doubtful.

Graffin's picture

March 18, 2010 at 06:13 am

Local reporters now say the tracks look like he was doing donuts. So drunk at 230 in the morning doing donuts in a culdesac. I've done some dumb shit but thats really asking for it.

Dilligaff's picture

March 18, 2010 at 09:57 am

If convicted, will he get the usual 4 game suspension? Is this his first DUI, I have heard but can not confirm from a credible source that this could be his second, which will requirer jail time. I know in FL 2nd offense is 90 days in jail.

PackerAaron's picture

March 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

Dilgaff - if he's charged and convicted, you can be sure he'll get some kind of suspension from the league.