Report: McAdoo To Be Packers QB Coach

Jason LaCanfora reports that the Packers tight ends coach Ben McAdoo will take over the role of coaching the Packers' quarterbacks.

From Jason LaCanfora:

GB TE Coach Ben McAdoo has agreed to deal to coach team's QBs. TB had asked to talk to him for OC job.

Much like Tom Clements being named offensive coordinator, this move had become close to a foregone conclusion over the last couple of days.

What is interesting is how lukewarm Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers seemed to the idea during his appearance on his radio show earlier this week.

Said Rodgers:

Well, I think that is an interesting conversation I hope I’m in the loop for. Because I’m in my eighth season. It will be interesting to see what direction he wants to go in, if he wants to bring in a former quarterback with experience to kind of help me with the transition into the middle part of my career, a more of an established player in the league now. I’m not sure what the dynamic would be with a coach who hasn’t coached the position before. But Ben is a very a talented coach and if they do make that decision, I’m sure he will make a smooth transition.

Regardless of QB1's feelings on the matter, Mike McCarthy obviously feels McAdoo is more than capable of handling the assignment of coaching not only Rodgers but of being in charge of developing Graham Harrell, who will most likely take over the role of backing up Rodgers when Matt Flynn leaves, either in free agency or by trade.

Mojo's picture

February 08, 2012 at 03:04 pm

I wonder if QB1 would run off spouting to Clements if he and McAdoo don't get along.

markinmontana's picture

February 08, 2012 at 05:30 pm

I sure hope not, and I hope Clements has McAdoo's back if that does happen. Seems like it would be out of character for Rodgers though. At any rate, our last QB1, who had some diva tendencies, did just fine with Andy Reid (another non-QB quarterbacks coach) during his prime veteran years.

jeremy's picture

February 09, 2012 at 01:03 pm

I would be surprised if Clements wasn't a part of the decision to promote McAdoo.

NoWayJose's picture

February 08, 2012 at 03:51 pm

I thought Rodgers sounded even more lukewarm on the audio than the transcript suggests. He pretty clearly wanted a Rich Gannon-type to come in for this job.

Very interesting bio for McAdoo:

It sure looks to me like he never played college ball. Just a pure coach, with no playing history. Pretty much the exact opposite of what Rodgers wanted - and very different from Clements, a former QB.

McCarthy once again showing that he does things his way.

PackerAaron's picture

February 08, 2012 at 03:54 pm

<em>I thought Rodgers sounded even more lukewarm on the audio than the transcript suggests.</em>

Agreed.

Chad Toporski's picture

February 08, 2012 at 04:07 pm

Just listened to the podcast on my commute today, and I also tend to agree. He seemed to be searching for the right way to say McAdoo wasn't really the kind of guy he wanted.

FITZCORE1252&#039;s EVO's picture

February 08, 2012 at 04:07 pm

Shocking. I'm sure Rodgers is elated.

GBP 4 LIFE

Jon's picture

February 08, 2012 at 05:14 pm

How excited do you think Rodgers was when Mike was named head coach?

Pack will be hungry next season, no cause for concern.

FITZCORE1252&#039;s EVO's picture

February 09, 2012 at 03:53 pm

Who's concerned?

aussiepacker's picture

February 08, 2012 at 05:33 pm

He may be inexperianced as a qb coach. but mcarthy will have his eye on the situation and clements is still there too. so it should be alright.

PackersRS's picture

February 08, 2012 at 07:22 pm

Who'll be the TE coach?

PackerAaron's picture

February 08, 2012 at 08:45 pm

According to Wilde, many players expect it to be Joel Hilgenberg, currently the assistant o-line coach,

PackersRS's picture

February 09, 2012 at 09:17 am

Thanks for the info Nagler.

Oppy's picture

February 08, 2012 at 09:32 pm

Just a thought-

Even if McAdoo is the new QB coach, and even if Tom Clements is the new OC, and even if during the season all the job responsibilities are separated, it's sill entirely possible that Clements will be involved in QB school during the off-season, isn't it?

I could be mistaken, but that segment goes on outside of any other team camps, so both McAdoo and Clements could be there with MM without it interfering with either coaches' primary duties, or am I wrong?

Oppy's picture

February 08, 2012 at 09:37 pm

I also thought that Rich Gannon might be a primary target for the QB coaching job. He has built a relationship with the Packers over the last few seasons and has spent time around Rodgers and McCarthy in general, also has supplied Rodgers with some light consultation as well.

When Rodgers dropped his name, I thought it was a done deal.

McAdoo is MM's guy, though. He's like Winston Moss lite.