Railbird Central Podcast: Larry McCarren on the Center Position

Railbird Central airs an interview with Packers Hall of Famer Larry McCarren talking about the center position in Green Bay.

With news that the Packers have been in discussion with the agent of Evan Dietrich-Smith, Railbird Central takes a look at the future of the center position in Green Bay and airs an exclusive interview with Packers Hall of Famer and broadcaster Larry McCarren.

Listen in...

Streaming audio - Press play

Click here for a POP-OUT Audio Player

Download Versions: Download Audio Podcast

Free Subscription Option

Brian Carriveau is the author of "It's Just a Game: Big League Drama in Small Town America" and editor of Cheesehead TV's "Pro Football Draft Preview." To contact Brian, email [email protected].

MarkinMadison's picture

February 27, 2013 at 09:25 pm

Brian,can you explain your hesitations about EDS a bit? In your interview McCarren went out of his way to give EDS not just a passing grade, but an endorsement. Similarly, I remember #12 talking about EDS as the center of the future about mid-way through last season. #12 didn't have to do that either. I'm not saying the guy is perfect. His stint at left guard was painful. But at 308 lbs he isn't exactly small for a center, and the position is certainly one were a guy with less than stellar physical skills can excel by being smart. With all of the other needs out there, I'm just wondering why not keep EDS in the middle and spend your draft picks elsewhere.

Brian Carriveau's picture

February 28, 2013 at 06:39 am

My stance on EDS is that the Packers should wait to give him a long-term contract extension until after the 2013 season, if he proves he's worth it. I'm just not sold on him yet. He did alright this past season, and I agree he's a better center than guard. I'm just not convinced the Packers can't do better.

MarkinMadison's picture

February 28, 2013 at 07:23 am

What is the specific issue though? Do you view him as a liability in protection calls, or in pass blocking technique? His run blocking has graded out o.k. and he certainly seemed to provide a lot more push than Saturday.

Brian Carriveau's picture

February 28, 2013 at 07:30 am

I think he did just average in both pass protection and run blocking. Not that he did poorly by any means, but again, I just think there may be better options out there. By playing under a one-year contract, the Packers can have a motivated EDS and find out if he's for real in 2013.

Jake's picture

March 01, 2013 at 03:46 pm

Couldn't agree more.

packgal's picture

February 28, 2013 at 08:17 am

I think EDS will be fine, especially with total concentration on the center position from training camp. How can you judge when he was tossed in late season? I say cut the guy some slack.