QB Aaron Rodgers "Happy" for Alex Smith

There's going to be a lot of cash coming the way of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers this offseason, but for now, he'll have to watch fellow 2005 draft-mate Alex Smith cash in first.

Smith, the new quarterback in town for the Washington Redskins, was traded to the nation's capital Tuesday night in exchange for a third-round draft pick in April and cornerback Kendall Fuller. On the heels of the trade, the Redskins also extended his contract that they inherited from the Kansas City Chiefs, Smith's former team.

The extension was for four years, worth up to $94 million with $70 million guaranteed, making him the next quarterback to cash a sizable check while Rodgers awaits his own payday.

"I'm happy for Alex," Rodgers told ESPN at the Waste Management Phoenix Open Pro-Am. "Alex and I were drafted in the same year, a lot of talk I remember about us not being ready to play, or we would've gotten picked behind the guys in the 2006 draft. And here we are: both of us going into our 14th season.

"It's pretty special."

Smith is coming off of his third career Pro Bowl season after once again leading the Chiefs to the postseason for the third consecutive year.

Despite his relatively mistake-free play during his time with the Chiefs, they drafted former Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes II with their 10th overall pick in last year's draft -- a looming reminder that the future after Smith wasn't that far off.

"He had a fantastic year last year. Tough situation, they obviously drafted a kid, but for him to get an opportunity at a place that wants him and paid him the right way, I'm happy for him. He's one of the good guys in the league."

Rodgers and Smith spearheaded the 2005 quarterback class, Smith out of Utah and Rodgers out of California, and only one of them would remain with the respective team that they were drafted to. While Rodgers has stuck around Green Bay, Smith has bounced around from San Francisco to Kansas City, and now Washington.

Smith's new contract once again puts the quarterback market in a green-tinted light with Rodgers set to earn his new deal sometime in the coming months.

Rodgers' current contract runs through the 2019 season and has him set to earn $20.5 million in 2018, 14th-most amongst annual salaries for quarterbacks.

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

John Kirk's picture

January 31, 2018 at 08:32 pm

"paid him the right way...". That's ominous.

If you were hoping for a hometown discount, I think that's out the window. He's going after every penny he's worth whether that hinders his supporting cast or not.

Matt Weiske's picture

February 01, 2018 at 12:53 am

Brian Gutekunst will be paying for prior management's sins. i.e. Overpaying to keep Matthews and Perry and not doing everything humanly possible to put together the best roster. Aaron should look out for #1 plain and simple. Thinking he's going to settle for a hometown discount is just plain naive.

February 01, 2018 at 03:34 am

Maybe, maybe not. I do expect AR to negotiate the structure with an eye towards leaving enough cap to put together a good roster and assuming better drafting. That means that the large cap hits have to hit in the later years of any extension. As Dobber was discussing, guessing the cap limit is important. Roughly 15% of cap seems to be a target for fielding a good team and paying for an elite QB. That means a $30M cap hit needs to hit after the cap reaches $200M. That probably doesn't happen until at best 2019, and more likely 2020 (if it does at all!), but 2020 is the last year of the current CBA. Very difficult to guess what happens then.

Razer's picture

February 01, 2018 at 07:19 am

Well said Matt. Paying Rodgers what he's worth is not the issue because that is the business of the NFL. Rodgers will earn every cent leading this team to playoffs. Gutekunst and the coaches need to do their jobs and identify the talent to maximize our time with a great QB. A big part of that will be, not overpaying for supporting cast.

John Kirk's picture

February 01, 2018 at 08:50 am

I enjoyed your phrase...leading this team to the playoffs...

If you're paying that kind of money your goals should be higher than just making the playoffs, but that's seemingly always the goal and why we go no further year after year.

As a GM, if your goal is the SB and you realize you can't pay one guy that kind of money and get there you can't in good conscience fork over the money.

If I was running things, Aaron has 2 years left on his deal. I go get a Mike White, Kyle Lauletta or Lamar Jackson and see what they have this year and then I decide if I want to pay that kind of money to a 35 year old QB who has missed half seasons due to breaks of his collarbone on both sides next offseason.

I fully believe Bill Belichick wanted to go with Jimmy Garoppolo over Brady and he was incensed with the deal to SF. What New England did is what we would've done had we held onto Favre and had to let Rodgers go. Can you imagine if we'd have gotten only 3 more years out of Brett to never experience the Rodgers era while watching him with some other team?

Aaron isn't young. Recently said he wanted to make it to 40. That isn't far off. Hedge your bets and see if you can find the next Rodgers or Garoppolo before you just decide to cripple your team by giving your aging QB the kingdom.

If you can't find the next franchise QB, then pay the man only to the point you think you'll have enough left to reasonably field a SB winning roster.

Razer's picture

February 01, 2018 at 01:00 pm

Don't get me wrong John, I expect a Super Bowl run every year. Until we get enough talent, improve our defense and stay healthy down the stretch, the best that Rodgers can do is get us to the playoffs and hope for the best. We have been fortunate to get were we are with a bottom ranked defense and inexperience for depth.

GBPDAN1's picture

January 31, 2018 at 08:50 pm

AR will make a minimum of 30M a year with 90-100M guaranteed. He's worth it, but there goes a lot of FA cap money.

February 01, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Really? Is anyone really worth 30 M a year.? I don't think he is. I think he's turned into a great player. But not worth 30 M to the packers. I'm not in love with him like you and others are. Will the Packers sign him? Yes! But I would ship him off to Denver or even Cleveland for a pair of #1s. Their looking at signing a veteran. The Faith in A-Rod is declining like his body parts. I could do so much more in Free Agency with that money. The guys 34. Chances say he'll flop a 30 M a year!

February 01, 2018 at 12:39 pm

"But I would ship him off to Denver or even Cleveland for a pair of #1s."

You'd better have your next elite QB waiting in the wings when you do...

Since'61's picture

February 01, 2018 at 02:40 pm

If an NFL owner/team is willing to pay him 30 M per year, then yes he is worth $30 M per year, maybe more depending on what Cousins is eventually signed for.

If you don't sign or trade Rodgers who or how do you replace him? With draft picks? That's a crap shoot. What if the draft picks don't work out. We had plenty of draft picks during the 70s and 80s, where did that get us? John Hadl.

Also, I could argue that no athlete in any sport is worth the money they are paid, neither are actors or politicians. Especially when compared with teachers, first responders, the military and medical professionals. Yet the value is placed on how much revenue we can generate.

Whether pay for athlete's were reasonable or exorbitant (which they are) Rodgers would still command the highest salary. It's all relative to the spectrum that he is part of. Sports/entertainment has gone beyond all reasonable expectations in terms of what the market will support. However, Aaron Rodgers has performed beyond reasonable expectations for an NFL QB as well. Players like him are the reasons why we watch sports, therefore he has earned his share of the pie. Thanks, Since '61

February 01, 2018 at 03:19 pm

Hog wash 61. Lets look at some great replacements. Rodgers for Farve. Montana and Young. Brady for Bledsoe.Etc. But lets look at the top replacements for QBs and going to the super bowl. Kurt Warner 199 Rams - Trent green . Tom Brady NE. replaced Drew Bledsoe. Doug Williams WA. replaced Jay Schroeder. Jeff Hostetler NYG replaced Phil Simms Jim Plunkett Raiders replaced Dan Pastorini Trent dilfer Balt. replaced crap. Defense was awesome. Earl Moral colts for Johnny Unitas , and later Bob Griese to help Mia. They wouldn't have won the super-bowl without another good QB. I'm saying anyone can be replaced! Even A-Rod. The eggs($$$) are going into one basket. Do you think everyone watches sports because of A-Rod? They watch it because they Love a winner.

Since'61's picture

February 01, 2018 at 04:57 pm

The problem with your response is that every situation you named happened in an era when teams could carry 2 good/great QBs, practice them and give them reps.

Rodgers for Farve is the only example since the new CBA where you could name that a HOF QB was replaced by another HOF QB.

Yes, anyone can be replaced and I guess you haven’t noticed how well the Packers played with Tolzien, Hundley and a few others as his backup. Those guys would need to make huge leap just to get to hogwash.

Besides that, the Packers are going to sign Rodgers anyway, unless and it is possible, that Rodgers decides not to stay in Green Bay. Either way Rodgers becomes the highest player in the league.
My point about why we watch sports is that we watch to see great players make great plays. We watch to see the unexpected or something we have never seen before. Not just Aaron Rodgers but any of the great players in any sport. It's player like Aaron Rodgers who consistently make the great plays seem ordinary. Michael Jordan, Bobby Orr, Gale Sayers, Mickey Mantle, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky. That's why we watch. that's why they get paid the big bucks. Thanks, Since ‘61

GBPDAN1's picture

February 01, 2018 at 08:36 pm

Stockholder.....I'm Not saying I'm in love with him or that I'm happy he'll make 30M. I'm saying compared to the ridiculous amount of money some of the lesser talented QBs are making, Rogers has put himself in a position to make more. If he was to hit the FA market, some whacky, desperate , team will probably pay him 35M a year.

And Rodgers is the deference between the Packers winning and going to the playoffs, with a chance to make the NFC Championship game (possible SB), or have a losing record and missing the playoffs. What's that worth?

February 01, 2018 at 09:35 pm

The NFL has about 3 elite QBs, and they were drafted in 2000, 2001 and 2005. Every other QB drafted since 2005 has fallen short of being elite. The odds of those two 1st round draft picks producing an elite QB are very small. Maybe Watson, Wentz or Goff become elite, but that has not yet happened.

Community Guy's picture

January 31, 2018 at 10:05 pm

it stands to reason that soon Rodgers #12 will once again command the highest compensation in the league. HOWEVER, if the Packers want to retain financial sustainability, they may be wise to jettison BOTH of the big veteran receiver contracts. it is imaginable that the best QB in the league could get by with a talented 4 year veteran in his prime, a second year player soon to come into his prime, and, a talented rookie, as his starting 3 wide outs.

that said: [Gutey] please secure a dependable veteran TE to compliment a young receiving corps :)

The TKstinator's picture

February 01, 2018 at 05:50 am

“You guys are awesome!” said the veteran tight end to the receiving corps.

Charlu19's picture

February 01, 2018 at 02:02 am

Aaron will get 5yr/$150mil and rightfully so. He is hands-down the most valuable player in the game and should be paid so. Good on him for becoming the player that he has. How the FO will spread that money wisely is on Gute, but I'm sure #12 will allow creativity in that endeavor to allow flexibility for him to compete to win another championship or three.

Lphill's picture

February 01, 2018 at 05:51 am

Rodgers makes tons of money through endorsements I think he accepts a reasonable contract that allows the Packers go retain some veterans , I don't think he wants to lose jordy or Cobb plus leaves some money for free agency .

Razer's picture

February 01, 2018 at 07:12 am

Not sure I would be happy for Alex Smith having to play for Washington. The organization is dysfunctional. They jacked around a perfectly good QB and now opted for a similar guy at big money. Dan Snyder is a young Jerry Jones. Alex Smith cashing-in is about the only thing he can be happy about. He's dumped by a team that he led onto a team that won't be making the playoffs in his career.

worztik's picture

February 01, 2018 at 09:46 am

5/150 sure is a LOT of NEW TRUCKS, but I do not think that AROD pays for trucks... never has never will!!!! I’m really dumbfounded (maybe just dumb) that the majority of commenters believe he or anyone is worth that amount of money to play football. I love AROD’s play and I wish he were only 25 but, he’s not, he’s 35!!! I want to see him in GB for his entire career but, we will always be one hard (dirty) hit away from below average if we rely on him to be the be ALL end ALL!!! I firmly believe he deserves to make a ton of money... he already has!!! This one ups man-ship in salary between NFL players is going to be the league’s downfall. I know... I know... ABC just signed a multi year megabucks deal for Thursday night football and I’m really happy that they did but, is anyone REALLY worth $25-30 million a year to play a game??? I guess so according to the contracts being signed but, it doesn’t make sense. Then again, nothing is making much sense right now! We really need to start to think about life (Packer football) post AROD. Draft his successor this year and let’s go!!! Let the thumbs fly....

billybobton's picture

February 01, 2018 at 11:43 am

Leave behind the caveman analytics and join the new age

You ask "is anyone REALLY worth" x dollars for y?

Wake up. That question does not exist. What is Oprah's show worth? Texas stadium?

The question is should (OWNER) pay x to make y?
ask the denver fans what they would pay for Rodgers, or nearly every other team.

The new contracts will be dwarfed by Rodgers not equaled. IF HE SIGNS. If he stays to the new contract then what?

If he signs with Vince for a new league how much will he get?
OWNERSHIP
SALARY
GM LIKE INFLUENCE

the world is changing again, put down the chisel

worztik's picture

February 01, 2018 at 01:11 pm

Billy Beer... you must be a Millennial with this new age bullshit!!! The new age was the 60’s and you my friend would not have survived!!! So go back to your GoT mentality and follow Wes on the Packers’ website... you’ll fit right in!!! ;-(

worztik's picture

February 01, 2018 at 01:13 pm

And if that’s what he cares about... let him jump to the WWE...

Since'61's picture

February 01, 2018 at 02:43 pm

We are all paid based upon the revenue that we can generate. Rodgers generates more money for the Packers and the NFL than any other player. He will be compensated accordingly. If not by the Packers than by another team.
We know what the team looks like when he is not playing. They can't even complete a pass. Shutout twice at home. Why would anyone trade the best player in the league for draft picks. Draft picks are a crap shoot.
Many posters here complained about TT not spending money on free agents. We have the best player in free agent history on our roster and now there is concern about spending too much to keep him.
Pay him and keep him as long as possible. Once Rodgers is done we're likely back to the 70s and 80s and I am in no hurry to return to those seasons with no chance of winning anything.
We had plenty of high draft picks in the 70s and 80s and the team was terrible to watch until Wolf and Holmgren traded for Favre. Good QB play means everything in this era of the NFL. Keep Rodgers in Green Bay, the cap goes up every season, he will look cheap after a few seasons. It's only money and it's not ours anyway. Money is just a trading tool. Let it work for you, not you work for the money. In the case of the Packers and Rodgers, the best use of their money is to pay Aaron Rodgers. Thanks, Since '61

worztik's picture

February 01, 2018 at 04:12 pm

I’m interested to see what my ticket prices will do after he cleans up!!! I guess the in stadium fans are the elite money earners 61...

Since'61's picture

February 01, 2018 at 07:30 pm

Worztik - the prices will always go up Rodgers or not. I pay more now for one game than I paid for an entire season back in the 60s and 70s. Nowadays I donate about 90% of the tickets to our disabled vets, their families or the family of a deceased veteran. Also some of our tickets go to police and firemen and their families.

When I use tickets for myself I'm amazed at the face value prices whether it's baseball, hockey or football. I don't understand why it should cost a family $500 -$1000 to go to one game. Between the tickets, food, parking, maybe tolls, souvenirs, it's completely ridiculous and unfair. That's why my business partner and I do what we can to help our veterans and first responders. They deserve it. Thanks, Since '61

worztik's picture

February 02, 2018 at 10:07 am

I do hear ya 61...

jimtalkbox's picture

February 01, 2018 at 02:57 pm

After hearing about Smith's contract, I don't think there's any way Rodgers gets less than $32m per year and at least $100m guaranteed. It's absurd amount of money, but he's worth it.

Since'61's picture

February 01, 2018 at 07:31 pm

And we haven't seen what Cousins signs for yet. Who knows where this is going. Thanks, Since '61