#PackersDaily: The rookies are in town

Aaron chats with Packers fans worldwide as the team prepares to kickoff their rookie minicamp.

Earlier today, I held my Packers chat over on our YouTube channel talking all things Green and Gold.

Be sure to subscribe to the channel if you'd like to participate in future chats.

You can also listen to the podcast here:

Find all of my daily podcasts here.

HankScorpio's picture

May 14, 2021 at 10:15 am

Has anyone seen a list of tryout players in for camp but not signed?

I think the roster is at 89 once all the picks are signed. They have rounds 5-7 done (Charles, Slaton, McDuffie, Van Lanen & Hill).

flackcatcher's picture

May 14, 2021 at 10:53 am

Been looking and haven't seen it either. The list has got to be small with all the resigning and draft and signed FA. Unusual for the Packers.

PackerAaron's picture

May 14, 2021 at 11:33 am

Demo has the rookie camp roster complete with tryouts here:

flackcatcher's picture

May 14, 2021 at 03:12 pm

Thanks Aaron.

greengold's picture

May 14, 2021 at 03:52 pm

Aaron, you ROCKSTAR!!!

Thanks for sharing that. I completely forgot about ILB Ray Wilborn 6-4 224 from Ball St. According to PFF, Wilborn had the lowest passer rating allowed in the MAC Conference at 71.0...

The Packers needed a player like Wilborn and Gutekunst signed him January 8th to a futures contract while the rest of Packer world slept. A size/speed guy who is a good tackler too. Great in coverage.

packer132's picture

May 14, 2021 at 06:38 pm

Seven of nine are signed; only 1st and 3rd are not (Stokes and A. Rodgers)

greengold's picture

May 14, 2021 at 03:59 pm

For anybody wondering about ILB Ray Wilborn from Ball St. have a look at THIS! 6-4 224 ball hawk, solid tackler... He wears #1...

Qoojo's picture

May 14, 2021 at 05:44 pm

Looks like he was playing safety.

greengold's picture

May 14, 2021 at 06:26 pm

Yeah, pretty sure most of the later stuff where he was wearing #1 was his Senior year at Safety. Junior year at ILB he wore #11 and had 10.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT and 83 tackles. I think Barry’s D calls for those ILB/S tweeters who can switch assignments readily. Wilborn & Uphoff look perfect for that.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

May 15, 2021 at 07:05 am

GG,
Looks impressive! Wonder how they plan to use him?

Music choice wouldn't have been mine but intriguing talent!

greengold's picture

May 16, 2021 at 03:18 am

I almost always turn the sound off on those.

Yeah, Wilborn looks like he’s got the potential to be a very solid find, not unlike Christian Uphoff. Both are really considered key components for what Barry wants to implement, from what I’ve been able to dig up.

I believe they want these interchangeable chess pieces, metaphorically. Knights that can move like rooks or bishops in the time it takes to go from pre-snap to post snap.

Both are highly coveted Jeremy Chinn-like body types who can move freely from ILB to FS to SS responsibilities as coverages dictate v. run or pass. Interesting before draft I heard an NFL scout describing Packers approach as looking more for body types as the premium. They want bigger and faster players, primarily.

Wilborn & Uphoff fit that bill. Remarkably so. They have legit qualities to develop that are unique. Should vastly improve our coverage in middle of field on TEs, RBs and WRs alike if that plan works, and these players get their shots to contribute.

So LaFleurian, really. Multiple offerings from singular looks. I really do think this is MLF’s D, and Barry is just running it for him. Kind of exciting to think about the changes we will see on D this year.

Btw, can’t sleep. I don’t drink or do drugs. This is my jam so I thought I’d pile in here with what I’ve learned. Cheers!

Swisch's picture

May 14, 2021 at 07:29 pm

Intrigued by having two running backs coming in unheralded and overlooked -- Kylin Hill and Patrick Taylor -- who both gained 1,000 yards in a single college season. It could be like finding an elite brand at a discount store.
***
Why not take a look at three offensive linemen from the University of Wisconsin? The Badgers turn out big blockers like the state of Wisconsin churns out cheese.
***
Always fun to see any of these undrafted guys make it to the Packers come September.
Let's play football!