Packers Vs. Bears: First Impressions

My immediate thoughts during the Packers - Bears game without the benefit of a re-watch.

...

Trevor Davis needs to be smarter. You don't take a punt out of your own end zone. He was lucky to even get eight yards.

Aaron Jones limped off the field because 2017.

The Packers' defense really hasn't been awful today. I mean, I'd hope not considering they're playing a backup quarterback, but still. I'll take what I can get.

Clay Matthews and Mike Daniels, who just combined for a sack, are two guys who need to get back to leading by example.

Important to note that Ty Montgomery never lost his job -- the inconvenience of his injury and sudden rise of Aaron Jones swept it from under his feet. He's still more than capable.

Between penalties (5!) and a botched challenge, the Bears might as well change their uniforms to green and gold with how much they're helping the Packers.

Nick Perry just recorded two sacks in three plays, giving him six on the season. Packers needed more production out of their edge players this week, and they're getting it.

Offensive line hasn't held up well for Hundley, and that's, well, kind of important.

You would think a quarterback whose greatest strength is his running ability with an open field in front of him would, you know, run.

When Aaron Jones got his shot, the two running backs ahead of him got knocked out of the game. Could be a similar, big opportunity here for Jamaal Williams.

The Packers ran an option. 2017 is wild.

Hundley's failed to anticipate the rush so far today, and to be fair, the offensive line hasn't been consistent.

Hundley looks so much better when he's dropping back and hitting his first read with confidence and zip on the ball.

More on Hundley: He just made the best throw of his career. The talent is there.

The Packers' running backs stable is looking more and more impressive as the season goes on.

EDIT: Heave down the right sideline was the best throw of Hundley's career.

This showing in Chicago may be just the type of game Brett Hundley needs to get kickstarted. The Packers are very much alive. Hundley also becomes the first Packers quarterback not named Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers to lead his team to a win over the Bears since 1989.

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

November 12, 2017 at 03:11 pm

The Bears Still Suck.

GBPDAN1's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:31 pm

It's been the season from hell, but, it feels so good to sweep da bearlys!!!

ottscay's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:52 pm

My ten year old daughter and I spontaneously broke into the Bears Still Suck as soon as the game ended. I don't know how many more highlights we can expect from this season, but this was awfully sweet!

KenEllis's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:15 pm

Thank You Bennie Cunningham.

Never a bad time to beat the Bears.

November 12, 2017 at 03:19 pm

Talk about a challenge that backfired!!

NickPerry's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:04 pm

LOL...I wonder if McCarthy would have challenged the play if the Bears didn't. I'd like to say yes but the truth is who knows.

croatpackfan's picture

November 13, 2017 at 08:52 am

The bets part of that challenge was that Fox wanted TD, but it was obvious that referees made wrong call. And he was furios after Packers get the ball. I wonder on whom...

The sweetest moment of the game. I was jumping in joy when I saw that Fox challanged the ruling!

Tom Legener's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:15 pm

They really, really, really, really, really do!

Coldworld's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:16 pm

Hundley seems a nightmare in dink and dunk. He is just not a game manager. He does much better when we are being more aggressive.

November 12, 2017 at 03:24 pm

The Packers offense was quite offensive through 3 quarters.

But Hundley found something in the 4th. He had a nice scramble to move the chains, his TD to Adams was an awesome throw and the bomb to Adams @ around 2 minutes left was even better.

They have to find a way to get that from him before the 4th quarter.

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:28 pm

Playcalling that allows the QB to get into a rhythm would be a major step in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong, I get that we're running the ball effectively. But we need to pass more frequently on 1st and 2nd down, and take some intermediate shots down the field.

November 12, 2017 at 03:34 pm

Completely agree. Like you said below, they have to take the training wheels off Hundley. If they lose being aggressive, so be it. Playing timid is a sure way to lose.

There has to be a happy medium between pass-happy 65-35 ratio under Rodgers and the run, run, pass, punt approach they have shown way too much under Hundley.

Hopefully, Hundley's 4 Q gives them the confidence to find that happy medium.

November 12, 2017 at 03:46 pm

I thought you guys would over hype Adams on those plays. Or is it that you see that these wRs are to slow to beat a press now. Or is it because the Bears Cbs. still suck. Or is it because it was a 3rd and 5 for a first. And the Qb throws it deep Again. Or is it because those were Adams Best catches as a Packer. Regardless- This game may cost the Packers more money.

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Adams is legit.

NickPerry's picture

November 13, 2017 at 05:05 am

I don't know stockholder. I'd say that catch was as equally impressive as the throw. Because Hundley had struggled so I suppose you could call it a better throw but anytime any player makes a one handed catch it's pretty sweet.

Adams is actually the one Packers WR who can beat press man coverage on a somewhat consistent basis because of his quickness.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 14, 2017 at 10:59 am

Its mcarthys bad play calling. .he lied when he said he was gonna open the play book..or his playbook sucks.. you cant wait until the 4th quarter and only play 15 min of a 60 min game..come on !!!!

Archie's picture

November 13, 2017 at 03:23 pm

If MM had any sense he'd open up the offense for BH to find out what he's got. Playing scared is no way to compete.

Since'61's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:20 pm

First impression: I called it in my predictions and I was close on the score.

More importantly the Packers defense was bailed out in the first half by the Bear's fumble out of the end zone. Otherwise the Bears probably score a TD on that drive. Which would be a continuation of the Packers defense allowing a score immediately after a Packer's score.

I'll take a win any way they come at this point and against any opponent, but the Packers offense and Hundley played better today. That was critical as our defense spent less time on the field and most critically the Packers scored over 20 points.

There is no excuse for another poor snap and hold on a FG. Something needs to change. We were lucky it did not cost the game today. A better QB than Trubisky may have brought his team back today after the missed FG.

Defense did a nice job keeping the Bears run game in check.

Much needed win for the Packers. Can they keep it going against the Ravens and beyond? We'll see.
Go Pack Go! Thanks, Since '61

mrtundra's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:22 pm

Loved the touchback call. Exactly what I thought when I saw the Bear receiver had lost control of the ball and it hit the pylon. Great call by John Fox to review it!

November 12, 2017 at 03:30 pm

They got the call right after review. I thought the Packers caught some breaks from the officials but that was not one of them.

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:23 pm

It's all about confidence now.

And I'm not talking about Hundley.

I pray MM has gained enough confidence after the way Hundley was throwing the ball today to finally take the training wheels all the way off and give our QB the opportunity to win a game for us.

This was a sloppy weather NFC North game. Reminded me of a classic Central Div game. I love it.

Something to build on. Let's go.

GVPacker's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:27 pm

Training wheels, good one oppy I like that!

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:23 pm

Oh.. And no mention of the problems with the hold? That's going to be a big deal this season if not corrected.

November 12, 2017 at 03:28 pm

I'm no FG guru but the snap looked ok to me. It looked to me like Vogel flat out fumbled the ball.

I'm glad it didn't bite them.

ZacharyJacobson's picture

November 13, 2017 at 12:38 am

Snap was fine, Vogel couldn't properly secure the snap and get it down. There's your mention.

Mojo's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:24 pm

Better than a kick in the pants. We'll take it.

The TKstinator's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:07 pm

Yes. Winning is like, you know, better than losing.

Point-Packer's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:28 pm

Simply put, the Bears beat themselves today.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:36 pm

Yep, if the Bears manage the game properly and have a average QB then this one might have been a lot different.

4thand1's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:48 pm

But they don't have a different QB. Packers won a game without AR. The Bears still suck, now some other sucky teams to play.

Coldworld's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:02 pm

Average QB maybe not, decent one perhaps, but they hamstrung Trubitsky as much as we did Hundley. Perhaps a glimpse of potential if we handle Hundley more aggressively. I am not seeing Trubitsky's vaunted potential though. The 2 QBs looked very similar. Not sure if that is a plus for Hundley or a downer for the Bears.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:06 pm

Trubitsky threw for over 300. He's not that good.

Cwilly's picture

November 14, 2017 at 09:18 pm

Would have been more if receivers didn’t drop ball as well.

Mojo's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:41 pm

November 12, 2017 at 03:44 pm

True story. And McCarthy runs his record without Rodgers starting to 25-18-1.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:42 pm

What if you take off Favre?

November 12, 2017 at 05:32 pm

Sub .500. Like Belichik in games that were not started by Tom Brady.

Point-Packer's picture

November 12, 2017 at 05:54 pm

3-7-1

Pathetic

November 12, 2017 at 06:57 pm

It's 3-7-1 in the years Rodgers broke his collarbone.

Flynn also started for Rodgers @ NE in 2010 and the season ending game vs Det in 2011. His performance in those two games earned Flynn millions of dollars The Packers were 1-1 in those games, with the loss (@ NE) cited by many players as the game that set the table for a successful run to a Lombardi. The win is still in the Packer franchise record books for most TD passes in a single game. Those two games are nothing even approaching pathetic. They were outstanding efforts with a HoF QB on the sidelines.

Thanks for the advice you gave last week to look up the records. It reminded me how close Belichik was to becoming a NFL HC flameout before Brady stepped on the field and how good McCarthy was outside the pathetic stretches after Rodgers broke his collarbone in 2013 and this year.

Point-Packer's picture

November 13, 2017 at 02:26 pm

Belichick record without Brady in NE?

Must be pretty good, as they went 11-5 when Brady was out for most of that season with Matt Cassel, who never did anything ever again. And were 3-1 when Brady was suspended. Losing Brady is akin to losing Rodgers and should be the metric used to compare MM vs BB without HOF QB, not Belichicks time in Cleveland. If you do, that you're just cherry picking.

November 14, 2017 at 08:10 am

"Belichick record without Brady in NE?

Must be pretty good"

It is sub .500---18-19. Don't forget about the 5-13 mark before Drew Bledsoe's injury forced Brady into the starting lineup

I'm really not sure why you are twisting the records of the two. Every NFL HC suffers in comparison to BB, who is the best in the game right now. With or without Brady, BB is a better HC than MM with or without Rodgers. Not because of regular season records. That's fairly close. It is the 5 titles vs 1 thing. But it is also true that BB has gotten the same benefit of a HoF QB helping his record that MM has gotten from Rodgers. And neither guy won a title without that HoF QB. The records don't lie. No matter how you cherry pick them.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 14, 2017 at 11:00 am

More like Brady without Bilichek..Brady would just be ok to good

November 13, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Jeremy,

MM's time with Favre was a resume-enhancer for him, IMO

Under Sherman, Favre developed a bad attitude and poor practice habits. His stat lines from 2005-2010 reflect that, when he cracked 82 in QB rating just twice, once under MM and once when he was motivated to "stick it" to MM for daring to not take his crap anymore.

From 2005-2010, Favre's teams put up a 30-31 record when he started and someone beside MM coached. They were 21-11 in his starts with MM as coach. He played on three different teams and each one fired a HC--Mike Sherman, Eric Mangini and Brad Childress.

How MM got an 8-8 record in 2006 with Favre throwing 18 TD & 18 ints with a 72.7 rating is anyone's guess. Whatever the reason, it wasn't Favre's great play.

2007 was turn back the clock time for Favre. He played like an MVP candidate and the team went 13-3 before getting bounced thanks to an ugly, undisciplined Favre int. You are welcome to credit Favre alone for that. The evidence suggests otherwise.

After that ugly performance in the NFC CG, MM had enough of Favre and they moved on to Rodgers. That was a ballsy call that I believe set some fans against him to this day. But it was the correct call by any objective measure. He had found the QB he wanted to stake his career to and it has worked out exceptionally well. So well, that he no longer gets any credit for it from many fans. And I have little doubt that it was MM driving the train to move on to Rodgers, not TT. TT was just backing his HC, IMO.

Feel free to argue any of that is untrue. I know that time has healed wounds and Favre is again a hero in Packer Nation. But I remember the bad with the good when it comes to Favre. His last 6 years were more bad than good. Don't expect to convince me otherwise.

JDK52's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:59 pm

Simply put, nope.

flackcatcher's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:30 pm

Watching Hundley grow in the second half, MM trusting him in intermediate throws. O line putting it to a good Bear front 7 in the run game. Another injury to a skill player A Jones. (I blame Jerry Jones and his voodoo doll...) Capers going man coverage all game long. Defensive front was good in the run game today. Usual strangeness in the Packers-Bears match up. (touchback? now I've seen it all) Good win today. Packers still alive.

RobinsonDavis's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:33 pm

*Just embrace the win despite errors!
* I will continue to stress we need to continue to find ways to get our TEs and Backs into pass patterns. *Anybody else notice that the Bears went after House and not King or Randall in this game?
*After i called out Daniels & Perry last week, I need to acknowledge that both really turned it up! This game. Still with Daniels being doubled on Perry's side, Nick has to dominate. .
*How could you not believe that Adams would have a significant play or two in this game, given the outcome from him in the previous meeting.

Congratulations, Packers!!

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:35 pm

Ok all you guy's, Especially you "Free Agent" Who Made fun of me Last Night for taking Green Bay. & except for Since'61, Who I think knows what is going on. Did I call that game, OR WHAT?? 16 Points for Chicago. I've Won 3 Games so Far Today. I hope all of you Now Know, that Money Talks in the NFL. If you didn't see it Today, You Never will. I don't care. I'M ON FIRE. All of you that Jumped off of GB, THANK YOU!! I had a Buck on them & still have the Parlay going. THANK YOU GB!! THANK YOU LIONS!! I hope you all learned something today!! If you didn't, I don't care. I'll keep collecting. The only Mistake I made Today, was NOT BETTING GB With Both Fists. I'm Smokin",
LVT

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:42 pm

I'm glad you made the right bet.

It looked like you changed your mind about ten times from the looks of your posts. :)

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:10 pm

You're Right Oppy, I'm like an Old Great Golfer, who can't Put Anymore. I can't see the games like I used to. I've lost my Nerve. This was a CLASSIC GAME that I should have bet with BOTH FISTS. It's what happens when you get older. BTW, I was ready to take your Great, Clutch, Kicker, Mason Crosby off the Shit List, but he's Still There. GOD LIKES ME!! I'M HAVING A VERY GOOD DAY!! Hope you are too.
LVT

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Crosby can't control the mishandling of a good snap by the holder.

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

November 13, 2017 at 03:25 am

Oppy, You're actually Right on this one. I didn't see it. I was only listening to the game. Just as most of you, the Network out here jumped off the Packers & changed the game. Crosby is not a Clutch Kicker, you'll find that out in time, but I didn't see what happened today. I hit 6 of 8 games this Weekend, but I only had Money on 3. I'm done Again!! None of you know what's going on anyway. I don't enjoy watching GB without AR. The Betting is getting too stressful for me to handle. I've done Pretty Well with my Thinking, but I think it's time to Hang It Up. As you saw on my posts, Most of my Picks were Winners. I don't want to argue with anyone anymore. I'll never convince you or anyone else that week after week Las Vegas Wins, & Most of the Betters Lose. Maybe someday you will see it. I guess for me from now on I'll keep my opinions to myself.
LVT

Norm's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:55 pm

Is your arm okay? Might have gotten thrown out of joint, what with you patting yourself on the back like that.

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:12 pm

My arm is Ok, It's my Hand that Hurts from Filling My Wallet.
LVT

zeke's picture

November 13, 2017 at 01:35 am

Ewwww.

Paul Glotz's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:43 pm

I called it on 2 different sites.
23-17 GB and then slightly different the day after 23-20 GB
Not that hard with these 2 teams

Bearmeat's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:45 pm

Any win over the Bears is a good win. Good to see. All time series lead safe for awhile now (we're not getting swept by them for years yet).

But let's not get carried away. The Bears offense is a joke and there were STILL WRs open all over the place. Dom has to go.

Color me shocked if GB gets win #7 before the year is out.

4thand1's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:51 pm

What color is shocked? Hope it looks good on you.

Bearmeat's picture

November 12, 2017 at 06:35 pm

Green and Gold. And yes, it does. Like I said. I'll gladly eat the crow.

November 12, 2017 at 04:11 pm

The Bears offense definitely is a joke. They are 29th in offense by yards (through 8 game so NFL.com is not updated to reflect today's game). Baltimore is 30th and Cleveland is 27th. Just beating teams that have offenses like the Bears would put the Packers at 7 wins.

I don't know that they can do that. This team is "one game at time" for sure. But last time Rodgers broke his collarbone, they slept walked through 2 full games before showing any signs of life and then played .500 (2-2-1) before Rodgers came back for the finale. We'll see if they can follow that pattern or not.

Since'61's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:29 pm

Deleted

Duneslick's picture

November 12, 2017 at 06:28 pm

Packer Greg says Greenbay could beat the ravens and Cleveland and win 7 games this year

Archie's picture

November 13, 2017 at 04:37 pm

Just enough to ruin our draft position, so we continue to live through ground's hog day over and over and over. Sweep front office and draft a superstar - that's the way ouit of this misery, assuming 12 will be 12 when he comes back. No guarantee with all those plates and screws in his throwing side collarbone.

Norm's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:49 pm

I thought it was a great win for our football team.

The TKstinator's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:12 pm

Great pad level.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:50 pm

1. We played the lousy stinking bears ....still gave up 350 yards to them.
2. I still dont really see mcarthy opening the playbook. If he has then his plays suck!!
3. Down 2 more RB
4. Matthews left also.
5.Why isnt Geronimo Allison playing??
6. This offense is so pathetically slow..its like pulling teeth.
7. It was like watching a preseason game
8. Vikings are tearing it up! !!!

November 12, 2017 at 04:12 pm

I thought you were done with the Packers?

GVPacker's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:49 pm

Are you Al Bundy?

November 12, 2017 at 08:03 pm

"5.Why isn't Geronimo Allison playing??"

Because the Packers are running first, and he's really not good enough to make his way into their 11 package with any regularity...

flackcatcher's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:19 pm

They have a healthy WR group. (knock wood)

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:24 pm

meh

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 14, 2017 at 11:04 am

5 people above live in some kind of fantasy land..its called reality and the Packers better wake up !!

packerbackerjim's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:53 pm

Williams ran the ball well during crunch time, something missing for quite a few years. I hope we get to see him in Kate game situations henceforth.
Hundley needs to have a vertical game called and needs to stop freezing and throw the ball away when under attack. The D will continue to play poorly against good quarterbacks.

packerbackerjim's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:55 pm

“Late game situations “

4thand1's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:54 pm

It's nice watching a game when your not expecting a win. No pressure just watch. Maybe the silver lining to this season will be other players making a difference instead of depending on AR.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:57 pm

So true...so true

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:54 pm

Why didn't Biegel play?
Get rid of Fackerall..he sucks...
Bring up reggie Gilbert. ...geez..

November 12, 2017 at 08:06 pm

Biegel did play. He had two tackles.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 12, 2017 at 03:56 pm

I would still rather see callahan on instead of hundley. ....offense is pathetically slow and hundley still stays in the pocket 1 sec too long!!

November 12, 2017 at 08:43 pm

I really don't know how good Hundley is going to be, but he's gotten better each week since the Saints. Maybe he's getting comfortable, maybe MM is, but he's improving. More pistol today than we've seen, and I think that helps him.

November 12, 2017 at 03:58 pm

I thought some defensive guys really played like men today. 1. Perry played well, as that club was a problem. 2. The line was terrific. 3. The Rookies are learning how to play some good football. My only negative was House. My other impression is Hundley needs to throw the ball harder, on the outs. To slow and was lucky he wasn't picked. Nice time management, but crosby needed to put these guys away. He didn't, and is missing some kicks badly this year. Lucky XP.

JDK52's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:05 pm

The FG kicking unit has been in flux all season, hard to blame Crosby for the miss.

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:14 pm

You're Only Fooling Yourself!!
LVT

Coldworld's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:09 pm

Not blaming Crosby for that miss. D dared Bears to throw and that seems to have worked today. Fortunately the Bears still suck and either Trubitsky or Fox do particularly, because they were even more out of ideas on offense for most of the game

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:15 pm

Same as Above!! Wake Up!!
LVT

flackcatcher's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:29 pm

Bears went after House because of his hamstring. Looks to me to be about 90%. Held up well given the number of throws his way. Your right about Hundley on the sideline throws, that will come with more game experience. Notice how quicker Hundley was in reading his checks in the 4th quarter. I never thought I would write this, the Packers really miss Brett Goode.

Bret Iverson's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:11 pm

Thanks Coach Fox! Great Win a win is a win and they can build off of it. They need to win next week at home and find some health and new players to fill in.

November 12, 2017 at 08:08 pm

Those who wanted to see what Davante Mays can do might get their wish next week.

Tundraboy's picture

November 13, 2017 at 07:04 am

Yeah, but why does it always have to be due to someone else's misfortune.

NickPerry's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:14 pm

I've been busting the Hundley's sack and everybody else for three weeks now but today he made some beautiful throws and the entire Packers team played much better. The TD pass to Adams was placed in a perfect spot and the deep throw to Adams on 3rd and 10 reminded me of his rookie preseason. He still takes some unnecessary sacks but the kid did a hell of a job today.
Good for you Hundley!!

Welcome back Perry. I was actually surprised the Packers were able to get home so often. Having Long out helped but the front 7 played much much better today.

Davon House...What were you thinking? I mean the ENTIRE game, what were you thinking??

Next week we'll get to see that other RB selected in the 7th round I think. Hoping Jones doesn't have a serious injury and Montgomery's ribs aren't re-broken.

Now lets see that type of performance NEXT week too.

Norm's picture

November 12, 2017 at 05:19 pm

"I've been busting the Hundley's sack and everybody else for three weeks now". Hey, what you do in the privacy of your own home between two or more consenting adults is your own business, no need to come here and confess.

Lphill's picture

November 12, 2017 at 04:17 pm

Breaking news Hundley suffered hamstring injury , just saw online . Don't know much more .

Coldworld's picture

November 12, 2017 at 05:30 pm

Early in the game apparently. Hate to say it, but maybe helped stem the urge to scramble if first read failed?

Coldworld's picture

November 12, 2017 at 05:30 pm

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I don't think Hundley has ever really been a run-first type of guy. He can run, no doubt.. but if anything he typically spends a little too much time in the pocket IMO.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 14, 2017 at 11:05 am

Exactly. .1 second too long is an eternity in the nfl.

4thand1's picture

November 12, 2017 at 05:50 pm

May be a firing in Chicago? There were a lot of empty seats at Soldier Field.

TommyG's picture

November 12, 2017 at 06:04 pm

That’s all that the bear’s postgame show is talking about. They want a new coach. The even are talking about wanting to lure trestman back from the CFL. LOL Bears!

November 12, 2017 at 08:30 pm

Was on the road all day and listened to the Bears announcers on the radio. They really didn't get after Fox much to speak of except to say that the penalties were killing the Bears.

This is how the Packers will have to win. They'll have to scratch and claw and take advantage of any opening they're given.

Rossonero's picture

November 12, 2017 at 06:26 pm

From the very beginning, all I've ever wanted is for Hundley to go 4-4 (assuming Rodgers can return after 8 weeks). That would put them at 8-6 when Rodgers would return.

We're not dead yet. Onto Baltimore!

al bundy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 06:57 pm

1. Game ball Hundley. He could have tanked hut instead improved greatly.
2. Game ball o line, they pushed Chico around all day
3. Finally a pass rush. O line of Chico was horrid. Penalties, no pass blocking, run blocking, they mailed it in. Didn't seem they cared today. Gb took advantage of it. Bravo.

EdsLaces's picture

November 12, 2017 at 07:06 pm

It's crazy how proud of this team I am. Keep fighting gentlemen.

November 12, 2017 at 08:32 pm

I think we all had that sinking feeling when the Bears got that long TD to get within 3. Clutch drive to eat clock and get the TD to Adams. THAT was something they could build on.

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:31 pm

There were a handful of lasers over the middle that I thought showed confidence, decisiveness and more of what Hundley needs to do to succeed going forward than the (beautiful) deep shot to Adams.. But that was a pretty pass, no doubt.

NickPerry's picture

November 13, 2017 at 03:52 am

That WAS a pretty pass but is was JUST as pretty of a one handed reception.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

November 14, 2017 at 11:06 am

There were also a couple floaters that some better DBs would have intercepted.

TommyG's picture

November 12, 2017 at 07:25 pm

The bears suck. This is a statement which has been going for so many years but their performance today was nearly comical.

Hundley has a couple moments of absolute promise, but for three quarters he looked very much like a first year rookie.

I saw nothing by the defense which gives me encouragement going forward. The D did not hold the bears to 16 points, the bears simply were so bad that 16 is all they could manage.

The positive takeaway is that we were able to score more than 20 points, which I did not expect.

At 5-4 we are even with Atlanta and Dallas. Not bad company, but I also would not want to face either of those teams right now.

November 12, 2017 at 08:51 pm

"I saw nothing by the defense which gives me encouragement going forward."

The Bears punted 5 times today. That's one fewer punt than this defense forced in the previous 3 games combined. The Bears average 'to go' on third down was something like 9 yards. Detroit's was something like that, but they still converted with ease. For a defense that has struggled as much as this one has, that should count for something.

pacman's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:12 pm

Pretty meaningless game. We barely beat a terrible team - wow! Next week is the same but with a more dangerous qb. Williams at RB was a nice surprise. But today was just enough to salvage a little pride - just a little. D still gave up lots of yards. Hundley was still pathetic for much of the game. So they will talk about 'something to build on' etc. Let's see how they hold up next week and more importantly against the Steelers in 2 weeks.

Unconvinced.

November 12, 2017 at 08:39 pm

Roethlisberger has truly been an enigma this season and makes you wonder if his heart is really in it. Still, Pittsburgh--at home--will take the Packers apart in a couple weeks.

Tundraboy's picture

November 13, 2017 at 07:51 am

Yup You just know Roethlisberger will have his best game against, gulp, our zone coverage on Brown, etc.

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:20 pm

Give Hundley credit for a few good plays. Not overly impressed but a win is a win Pack got it done. Special teams tried to give it away but Bears offense is horrible. Trubisky is BAD!! Fox game plan was very predictable run , run , pass. Even announcers were in disbelief. Bears shit the bed with that performance. Something to build on hope we get in rhythm early next week and who knows what can happen.

Curt's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:25 pm

Terrible communication - still. Wasted a time out with five seconds left in the quarter and seven on the time clock in order to PUNT!

Took another time out on 3rd and 15 in order to dink and then PUNT.

Critical third and five and they let the clock run out - took penalty, then called time out..... fortunately made one fewer errors than Bores....

November 12, 2017 at 08:35 pm

For a team that was supposed to be on the rise and playing well at home, the Bears must have thought they could play vanilla football like the Lions did last week and still win.

Ooops.

marpag1's picture

November 13, 2017 at 03:17 am

The Bears, like Cleveland and a few others, are a black hole. They can't do anything right. They don't need a new team, they need a whole new organization, top to bottom. The Bears today are pretty much like the Packers of the 70s and 80s. Even the Packers of the Dark Ages could luck into a James Lofton every now and then, but luck will never make them good. They need their Messiah, their own version of Ron Wolf, to rescue them, and until they find him, they will continue to suck. And I will continue to enjoy it.

OK, so they're not quite as bad as the 70s and 80s Packers, but... the Bears still suck.

4thand1's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:46 pm

Just re-watched the game. Williams got the really tough yards that we never seem to get. The defensive front got good pressure most of the day. Martinez had maybe his worst game? House was bad, really bad. Jordy made some really good blocks, he's a team player. Hundley's best game against a good defense, could've ran a couple more times for good yardage, hammy maybe? Gotta clear up the FG package, almost missed a extra point too.

Oppy's picture

November 12, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Williams needs bigger feet!

He made the tough runs for positive yardage, that was great.

I just wish he could keep his feet under himself after contact- he seemed to repeatedly struggle with keeping his balance after taking contact in the wash. Left a lot more yards out on the field because he was stumbling to the ground after contact.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good performance by Williams today, the light is starting to come on for him.. Just wish he displayed some better balance out there.

Paul Glotz's picture

November 12, 2017 at 08:52 pm

Good win against a top 12 Defense. We shut down their running game and that was key. We need to go 1-1 over the next 2 weeks. Ravens are really a 5-4 team with a 4-5 record. Steelers are a 6-3 team with a 7-2 record. Both teams are beatable, But it will take Hundleys C+ game this week to be elevated to a B grade to win one.
The GB Pass Defense is atrocious

croatpackfan's picture

November 13, 2017 at 03:44 am

I was on business trip for 2 weeks and had not good internet connection. After I came back I saw on this web page same stories written in million ways... That is why I did not apply...

Also, that gives me time to think about and I thought how Hundley looked better against Saints, better than that against Lions and much improved against Bear. It must be adaptaion period which is responsible for the catching the game speed. Brett still have space to grow and he will, so, Packers may be quite alive...

Yes, I agree with Zach that Bears helped Packers a lot, but Bears D is not bad. And that is positive (Remember Atlanta game? Falcons won it on Glennon mistakes, not their plays!

Thank to John Sitton. He came with penalty right on time. Also, It was Marwin Evans who should be credited for the fumble, not Benny Cunningham. It was defensive play that caused that fumble...

Some people are never happy. Every sack is mistake by Bears, not good play by Packers D. Every pass brake is bad thrown ball, not good play from Packers D. Looking like that on events is insane...

November 13, 2017 at 07:06 am

I misread the strengths of the two teams. I did not think we'd be able to run all that well against Chicago, leading to multiple 3 and outs. [We had two 3 and outs - a third was avoided due to a def. hands to the face penalty and a fourth one was avoided because we had favorable field position and went for it on 4th and one at the Chicago 49. This led to a 50 yard field goal.] I thought Chicago would have trouble running against our defense but would wear us down. Instead, we were able to run pretty well and Chicago couldn't. Each team had 11 possessions.

Due to a combination of good GB defense and poor OL play by Chicago, GB had 10 tackles for loss and 5 sacks, and QB hits in addition by CM3 and Montravius Adams. This led to Trubisky facings a 3rd-14 (punt), 3rd and 15 (FG), 3rd and 12 (Punt), 3rd and 13 (fumble resulting in a touchback), 3rd and 16 (punt), 3rd and 15 (FG), 3rd and 4 (punt), 3rd and 18 (punt), 3rd and 10 (FG), 3rd/4th and 10 (over on downs - GB kneels to end game). Stafford was able to overcome 3rd and long, but Trubisky isn't Stafford and these were 3rds and really long.

In contrast, Hundley faced 3rd-5, 3rd-4, 3rd-2 (FG), 3rd-1 (P), 3rd-20 (punt), 3rd-2 (punt), 3rd-6, 3rd-1 3rd-1 (FG), 3rd-5, 3rd-6 (punt), 4th-1, 3rd-9 (FG), 3rd-2 (TD), 3rd-10, 3rd-7 (FG). GB had far more manageable third down situations; GB converted a 3rd and 6 and one 3rd and ten.

Hundley's play was encouraging. He had a running game and even some defense to lean on, but he was a little more decisive if the first read was there.

November 13, 2017 at 07:50 am

Believe it or not, the Chicago radio crew was regularly complementary of Dom Capers. They kept saying that he was disguising his coverages well enough that the rookie (Trubisky) was not decisive and was making poor reads. My guess is that most defensive coordinators SHOULD look good if the opposing QB is averaging 3rd and 10.

They also commented (I didn't watch, just listened) that CMIII was moving around a lot. Perhaps an immediate benefit of having Brooks back in the lineup. I'd have to see the snap counts to see just how much he played.

Doug Niemczynski's picture