Packers Reportedly "Very High" on Clemson LB Stephone Anthony

On Monday, Tony Pauline posted some of his thoughts coming out of the previous weekend's NFL Combine and had this to say about one of the Packers needs:

Staying with the Pack, I’m told they are very high on Stephone Anthony, who would fill a need at inside linebacker. Anthony had 16 official visits at the combine and the first team he met with was Green Bay. I was informed Anthony is a favorite of defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

jh9's picture

February 23, 2015 at 03:58 pm

Anthony performed well at the combine and he has all the measurables. The question is: Is Anthony a first round talent or will TT wait and see if Anthony falls to the Packers in the second round with the 62nd pick?

Personally, I don't think he has the tackling talent of C.J. Mosley and isn't a plug-in and play player. I think it would be a reach to draft him in the first round. IMO he is a second round pick but the Packers would have to be lucky to have him still available at pick 62 and I doubt TT will trade-up to get him.

HankScorpio's picture

February 23, 2015 at 04:36 pm

Jermichael Finley was linked to the Packers at the combine in his draft year. Stories were written about him possibly being the Packers 1st rounder. They actually ended up drafting him late in the 3rd round. It was the fourth player they drafted (Nelson, Brohm, Pat Lee were the 3 ahead of him). As I'm sure everyone recalls, they traded down to take Nelson, not Finley. They obviously did like Finley. But they obviously didn't love him, either.

Every time I read a story like this I remember the case of Finley. It's not always smoke. But it might be a little over-puffed. Not all interest is created equal.

HankScorpio's picture

February 23, 2015 at 06:16 pm

I can't say I saved a link to combine chatter stories from the 2008 draft. You'll have to search for it yourself, if you really want to see it.

DrealynWilliams's picture

February 25, 2015 at 12:29 pm

"go look it up if you wanna know."

jh9's picture

February 23, 2015 at 04:50 pm

After watching the ILBers at the combine, I don't think any one of them is a first round talent. However, I believe there is a bunch of them that will be drafted in the second round. Just like in most years at certain positions, players get drafted in a "run." In this draft I think that run will be the ILBers in the second round. Let's hope Anthony is still there when the 62nd pick comes around.

The TKstinator's picture

February 23, 2015 at 07:11 pm

Gotta pick them where they fit. Otherwise, you're reaching and not getting value.

Not all productive players are selected early, and not all early selections are productive.

I think I just blew my own mind.

The TKstinator's picture

February 24, 2015 at 06:51 am

I know man!
Fought the urge to put on sandals and sing 'kumbaya' afterwards.

My apologies to our sandal wearing friends out there.

FITZCORE1252's picture

February 23, 2015 at 07:25 pm

This year has that trade back into the 2nd feel.

The TKstinator's picture

February 23, 2015 at 07:46 pm

Agreed.
Unless somebody they like falls to them at 30.

4thand1's picture

February 23, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Ted didn't make any trades last year, does it happen 2 years in a row? I don't think so.

Nashville Packer's picture

February 23, 2015 at 09:28 pm

Actually Anthony was very productive statistically in college. The question with him was if he had the speed, and since he ran a ridiculous 4.55 40, the answer is yes. That's nearly half a second faster than former blogosphere darling Paul Dawson, and probably half a second faster than AJ Hawk. His 10-yard split of 1.62 was more than .1 of a second faster than Dawson.

I don't even think Packers fans could wrap our minds around a LB who can run a 4.5 40.

He had game-winning plays against top teams, and one of his best games this season against FSU. At 6-2, 243, he has great size.

The only reason fans are down on him is because they are over-influenced by draft media and he wasn't on people's radar screens before the combine. But he certainly is now.

He is taller and faster than Perryman, stronger and bigger than Kendricks and equally as productive as both.

HankScorpio's picture

February 25, 2015 at 09:16 am

You managed to hit on two awful buzzwords in one sentence. "Target" and "overdraft" are hopefully concepts that do not exist inside the Packers draft room. Both lead to mistakes on draft day. TT showed in his first draft that he ascribes to neither theory, thankfully.

If you "target" someone, you risk passing on Aaron Rodgers when he falls. I'm sure Rodgers was not the 'target' for the Packers that year. There was no way Rodgers was going to slide all the way down to them. Thankfully, the Packers were not so enamored with a "target" that they looked a gift horse in the mouth, like plenty of other teams did before them.

His very next pick was said be be a horrible "overdraft" (reach is the more traditional term and the one used at the time) in the form of Nick Collins, who the draft chattering class was sure would have been available a round or more later. I even have a vague recollection of Collins ranking as a possible UDFA signing by some elements of the draft industrial complex.

Both were great pick made possible because the Packers didn't get in to "targeting" or figuring out whether they were "overdrafting". Just make your draft board and then trust what it says. Don't risk outsmarting yourself by guessing at what 31 other teams might think.

4thand1's picture

February 23, 2015 at 11:44 pm

The bottom half of the 1st round is always a crap shoot. I see 2 2nd rd picks. trade down for more value. Unless a stud dt is there.

4thand1's picture

February 24, 2015 at 01:09 am

Wouldn't hurt.

RCPackerFan's picture

February 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

I can't get a feel for Armstead. I have seen him mostly rated around 35 range, then I see some mock drafts and rankings that have him in the top 15. I think Mel Kiper had him around 10,11 in his mock. I could be wrong on that one. But I know he was a lot higher then i would have thought he would go.

Armstead I think would be a very good 3-4 DE. He would provide the size we currently don't have.

I'm right there with you on Thompson. I think there is a possibility he will be there at 30.
The question on Thompson and Kendricks, I would lean towards Thompson. More because right now he is the higher rated player. But I think Kendricks would be a great fit with the Packers. Kendricks might be the better fit. Thompson would be more on projecting what he could do, where I think you know more of what your going to get with Kendricks.
My only concern with Thompson, is if he would be big enough to play ILB. He is about the same size as Kendricks but has a narrow frame. Usually you like ILB to have a thicker frame to take on blockers like Kendricks has. Would Thompson become a liability in the run defense?

Thompson reminds me a bit of Lavante David, where Kendricks reminds me of Bobby Wagner.

Right now my top 3 ILB would be Thompson, Kendricks and Perryman.

Nick Perry's picture

February 24, 2015 at 05:07 am

I'm starting to think that's what Ted does this year. With Ted who knows, does he love Anthony enough to move back from 30 or trade up in the second round? I don't think he last's until the Packers pick in round 2.

4thand1's picture

February 25, 2015 at 01:21 pm

I really don't think TT puts too much stock in combine numbers. He seems to be a film guy. He brings up the game between usc and cal when Rodgers played. He sounds like he had his mind made up and had AR on their board and probably couldn't believe he was there when they picked. He says he's a football first guy and game film doesn't lie. It could be a good thing that some players drop because they didn't fare well in a track meet. After all, this is football, not track and field.