Packers Question of the Day: Favorite Safety

Nick Collins? Chuck Cecil? LeRoy Butler?

Who was your favorite all-time Packers safety and what was your best memory of them making plays during their stints in Green Bay?

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

RCPackerFan's picture

October 26, 2017 at 08:41 am

Butler.
He deserves to be in the HOF.

I will say that if Collins' career hadn't ended as soon as it did, I think he would have been in the HOF. He was so good and changed the way the defense could play.

Since'61's picture

October 26, 2017 at 09:01 am

RC - Butler is a good choice. My best memory of Leroy Butler is that he created the now iconic Lambeau Leap! Thanks, Since '61

RCPackerFan's picture

October 26, 2017 at 09:30 am

Had Collins career been longer I maybe would have went with Collins.

But Butler absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

HankScorpio's picture

October 26, 2017 at 12:31 pm

It's a darn shame about Nick Collins. It seems like he's been gone for so long but he's only 34. He might still be playing if not for the injury. Who knows how that would have changed things?

No Charlie Peprah or MD Jennings to bridge to HHCD. Maybe no HHCD.

Ifs, buts, candy and nuts, I guess.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

October 26, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Butler had the nickname "Super Chipmunk" in my group of friends. He did everything!

Chuck Cecil, actually sucked. He was tough and dirty and hit terribly hard and otherwise was not very good. He was the Bob Probert of the NFL.

October 26, 2017 at 01:24 pm

I love that comparison!

Since'61's picture

October 26, 2017 at 09:02 am

Willie Wood is my selection for best Packer safety ever - NFL Hall of Fame. 8 time All-Pro, 5 time First Team All-Pro and Selected to the 1960s NFL All-Decade Team.

Great tackler, rarely out of position. Best memory is his interception on the Chiefs opening drive of the second half in SB1. He returned the pick to the Chiefs 5 yard line and Elijah Pitts went in to score on the next play. Put the Packers ahead 21 - 10 and they never looked back in route to their 35 - 10 victory in the first SB.

And unlike our current defense (message to Capers) the Packers defense back then never played soft even after they were up 35 -10 late in the game. We've had some very good safeties since but Willie is the only one in the HOF. Thanks, Since '61

flackcatcher's picture

October 26, 2017 at 09:54 am

Wood changed the way DB played in the 60's. Could cover the entire field effortlessly. First true cover safety in the league. So good the stiff neck writers had to vote him in. Could easily play in today's NFL. A great, great player.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

October 26, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Wood should be on every list of great Packers Players. Not just Safeties.

October 26, 2017 at 09:07 am

Here's a guy who I always liked who I don't think gets the recognition he deserves: Johnny Gray. Swiss army knife SS who could ball-hawk, return punts, etc., for those lackluster teams of the late 70s and early 80s.

Since'61's picture

October 26, 2017 at 09:18 am

Dobber - I also enjoyed watching Johnny Gray play. He was a very solid player who deserved a better fate than playing on those Packers teams of the '70s and early '80s. Thanks, Since '61

LASVEGAS-TOM's picture

October 28, 2017 at 02:28 am

Since'61 & dobber, I couldn't agree more. I was going to post Johnny Gray, until I see you guy's beat me to it. Johnny Gray deserves to be mentioned with all the Safety's mentioned. He was a great Safety. Hell of a hitter, & I don't remember him ever being hurt. He was a Hell of a player & doesn't get anywhere near the Credit he Deserves. Willie Wood was a Great Safety, & would probably get my vote for the Best, but I'd have a Hard Time keeping Johnny Gray off the team.
LVT

Turophile's picture

October 26, 2017 at 09:23 am

Butler might be more loved with the time he was at the Packers and the work he continues to do on Packers.com, but Woodson was pretty darn special.

I only started watching and supporting the Packers exclusively in 1989, so the earlier guys are not really in the mix, for me.

HankScorpio's picture

October 26, 2017 at 12:34 pm

I'm not sure Woodson was a Safety while in GB. But toward the end of his time, they certainly did a little bit of everything with him. He was sooo good. I think it was a big mistake to let him go back to Oakland.

AFL Ref daughter's picture

October 26, 2017 at 05:51 pm

Woodson was definitely one of my favorite Packers ever, but, he wanted to go back to Oakland, so I missed him and the player he was, but totally respect him as a sportsman and the man he continues to be.

HankScorpio's picture

October 26, 2017 at 06:10 pm

According to what he said in a radio interview after his first year back in Oakland, he wanted to stay in GB. He was willing to take a big pay cut. He realized he was slowing down and coming off missing most of final final year in GB. The Packers never asked him to do so. I suppose he could have been trying to look good in the interview but that is what he said.

EdsLaces's picture

October 26, 2017 at 10:09 am

Thinking of Collins makes me sad :(

Handsback's picture

October 26, 2017 at 10:38 am

Wood, Collins, and Butler in that order.

Tundraboy's picture

October 26, 2017 at 11:52 am

Same here!

packerbackerjim's picture

October 26, 2017 at 01:10 pm

All great safeties. I’ll go with Chuck Cecil, nasty attitude, crushing tackler. The picture of his bloody, split nose is iconic.

egbertsouse's picture

October 26, 2017 at 02:26 pm

Eugene Robinson. Remember when he solicited the undercover police officer the night before the Super Bowl and got arrested? Priceless! He should be in the HOF.......for idiots.

Point-Packer's picture

October 27, 2017 at 08:40 am

Charlie Peprah

lou's picture

October 27, 2017 at 03:50 pm

One more Super Bowl win (lost to Bronco's hurt) and a couple more seasons played and Butler would have a chance to be selected. Collin's had more range than any safety I have ever seen but his short career like Sterling Sharpe's eliminates him from HOF consideration. Bobby Dillon from the 1950's was over looked because of the bad teams he played on but 51 picks in 7 years and 5 times all pro are great credentials especially because they did not throw that much in that era. Willie Wood hands down was the best, played the ball in the air, tackled like a linebacker, and made big plays in big games (5 Rings).