Mike's Best & Worst Week 5

Our weekly video segment, breaking down the best and worst from McCarthy in Week Five.

Welcome to our weekly video segment "Mike's Best and Worst" where I take a quick look at the best and worst things McCarthy did on game day.

Subscribe to all of our videos on Youtube.

RCPackerFan's picture

October 06, 2014 at 11:51 am

Yup, couldn't agree more.

I loved that they got a lot of younger players some playing time at the end of the game. Janis got some good snaps, as well as Sherrod, and Lane Taylor on offense.
To nitpick, I would have loved to see Harris get a few carries as well.

Defense Pennel got a lot of playing time. But why was Mathews out there when they had Elliot who could have used the playing time. That was the 1 thing I hated seeing.

L's picture

October 06, 2014 at 03:37 pm

I know it's nitpicking but I'd also add into the bad-decision making the decision to keep going to pass attack formations as well as multiple early pass attempts after we had already got up by a couple TDs; especially, after the early success (early 1st quarter) with E.Lacy in the more traditional run lineups?

I thought the Packers should have started to work on grinding down the Vikings defense to wear them out by sticking with the running game more so at that point in the game and kept to the running formations that had proved to work well earlier in the game or at least until the Vikings had proved they'd adjusted to them in order to slow down the positive gains we got from them.

Anyways, just my two cents on top of the two good points.

DrealynWilliams's picture

October 07, 2014 at 05:45 pm

I agree with you on the "pass attack formation",but it seems like that's the only formations that work (while running) outside of te Full House formation (2 TEs or 1 TE and 1 FB in the backfield).

tm_inter's picture

October 06, 2014 at 04:15 pm

Yeah, I don't understand why the Packers didn't try out Jayrone Elliot in real game situation to see if he was really the "sackmaster", especially in the 4th quarter when the Vikings' game had already been decided.

Packer_Pete's picture

October 06, 2014 at 06:41 pm

Elliott played. I saw him out there on quite a few snaps. Didn't make any impact, but he played. And that certainly is valuable experience for him. He also played a week ago in Chicago on D, not just ST.

PackerAaron's picture

October 06, 2014 at 11:02 pm

He played on special teams only vs the Vikings. He did indeed play from scrimmage in Chicago.

the real russ letlow's picture

October 06, 2014 at 06:31 pm

Elliot played 23 snaps, per Demovsky.

PackerAaron's picture

October 06, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Yes, on Special Teams.

Elliott did not play from scrimmage.

the real russ letlow's picture

October 07, 2014 at 09:49 am

23 snaps on D and 23 snaps on ST. check it out.

PackerAaron's picture

October 07, 2014 at 11:30 am

Nope. I have the snap counts from the game book right in front of me. 0 Defense. 23 Special Teams.

Also, there's this from McGinn:

"Rookie Jayrone Elliott surprisingly didn't get in"

the real russ letlow's picture

October 07, 2014 at 05:59 pm

well, gol dang, I'm gonna have to quit reading that other feller if he can't be more accurate!