Memo To Ted Thompson: Sign Kevin Carter

Mike Vandermause's column this morning is actually spot on, save for one important distinction:

They used one measly sixth-rounder to select defensive end Jarius Wynn on Sunday. That means Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly, Mike Montgomery, Justin Harrell and maybe even Ryan Pickett, can hold down the fort.

No, no, no, no, no. Thompson should  dial Kevin Carter's agent at once. Carter would easily become the best DE on the roster, would be able to play in any sub package, having played and played well in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes throughout his career. Yes, there are some solid players at DE, but none that have ever taken a snap as a 3-4 DE in the NFL. Carter would provide a tremendous veteran presence in the locker room, much like a Sean Jones or Santana Dotson did for Holmgren's teams, and he would fill the last, to my eyes, remaining hole on the defensive side of the ball.

WoodyG's picture

April 27, 2009 at 09:40 am

IMO, Carter is a must have. The constant rotation on the DL would be greatly enhanced with Carter. Pickett will only be on the field so many snaps a game regardless if he's at NT or DE. We are still waiting for Harrell to get on the field & be able to stay there awhile. I don't think Monty even makes the final roster.

PackerAaron's picture

April 27, 2009 at 09:42 am

No way Monty makes the cut - and you point about Harrell is spot on. Does TT really want to go into another year depending on him? God I hope not...

Rainman's picture

April 27, 2009 at 11:12 am

Sounds like the Bronco's were trying to get a 7th rounder for Moss and had no takers.

Cletis's picture

April 27, 2009 at 11:20 am

Jolly is also a huge question mark. I've been harrassing Bedard and McGinn for info on Jolly in their chats the past few weeks and gotten no response. I believe his trial is now set for late June, and as far as I know a significant incarceration is still a possible outcome (its a felony charge). I've heard at a minimum he will face a league suspension, during which time I believe he can't even practice. That's all speculation however.

DaveK's picture

April 27, 2009 at 11:51 am

These aging FA's will soon be snatched up as GM's look to fill holes the draft did not address.

PackerAaron's picture

April 27, 2009 at 01:05 pm

Dave - exactly. Which is why I am providing that valuable service and telling him to get on the phone right now.

;)

Rob's picture

April 27, 2009 at 03:04 pm

Kevin Carter is not the player he was, there is a reason no team has signed him and he would not instantly be the best DE on our roster. That said, he would be a regular contributor and we could use the depth, the veteran leadership can't hurt either. I don't see him as a "must sign" but I would feel better if we got him or V Holliday.

Ron LaCanne's picture

April 28, 2009 at 07:48 am

The DLine depth on the current roster is not good enough. Carter can do nothing but add value. He is still a steady, reliable player. that's what we need.

IPBprez's picture

May 01, 2009 at 02:06 pm

Gotta agree, to an extent with ROB about K.Carter. And, isn't Vonnie Holliday a couple of years YOUNGER? I do believe he is. I'd rather have Holliday as a veteran supporting the kids. It would also give Vonnie a chance to retire as a Packer; which has a righteous ring to it. I see no reason why we can't consider Vonnie as adding value to the Team.