Let's Talk Football: Josiah Deguara

CHTV intern Susanna Kalas keeps the focus on the field as she looks at the Packers selection of Josiah Deguara.

Take a look at Suanna's latest on the Packers draft below and be sure to subscribe to the Cheeshead TV YouTube channel

May 13, 2020 at 09:59 am

Should be able to make in impact early on in a blocking role, which will get him valuable game and practice snaps as he matures into a receiver. Think Sternberger playing in motion, in the backfield, and in-line in 2019. This frees Sternberger in 2020 to move into the JImmy Graham role in the offense (although I expect Funchess and Adams to divvy up some of Graham's slot routes).

Coldworld's picture

May 13, 2020 at 10:05 am

Was a pretty good receiver in college with natural hands from what I’ve read. If so, I would expect him to be involved from the start. That is kind of essential to being an effective HBack. That isn’t to say that his route tree will not grow over time, but I think a reason they liked this individual is his experience running similar routes to those likely to be seen in GB.

Leatherhead's picture

May 13, 2020 at 01:02 pm

I’m with you, Coldworld. He’ll be involved in the passing game early and often.

jannes bjornson's picture

May 13, 2020 at 03:51 pm

He should be involved in the passing game right off the bat.

May 13, 2020 at 05:07 pm

In many ways, he profiles like Delanie Walker (who played for LaF for the Titans, but got hurt, and who the Packers supposedly kicked the tires on as a FA before the draft)...with the exception that Walker was significantly faster coming out but less of a blocker.

jannes bjornson's picture

May 13, 2020 at 05:25 pm

The Pundits were comparing him to Chris Cooley.

May 13, 2020 at 07:07 pm

Saw that, too.

PhantomII's picture

May 13, 2020 at 11:00 pm

He hasn't played an NFL snap...and he's better than Graham already in my mind.

RCPackerFan's picture

May 13, 2020 at 10:37 am

Sometimes players are just better made for some systems. Deguara seems to be a perfect fit for what LaFleur is looking to do.
He is a guy that can do it all. Play in multiple spots, he can block, he can catch. He is a guy that will help the play action game even more.

I think Deguara could have an early impact on the offense.

jannes bjornson's picture

May 13, 2020 at 03:52 pm

Definitely not a guy McCarthy could figure a play design for his skill set.

13TimeChamps's picture

May 13, 2020 at 04:03 pm

News flash: Mike McCarthy is no longer the coach of the Green Bay Packers.
It's way past time for you haters to let it go.

Leatherhead's picture

May 13, 2020 at 08:21 pm

Yeah, I don’t see the need to fling turds at one of the best, most successful coaches in our 100 year history.

Duneslick's picture

May 13, 2020 at 12:28 pm

Dont buy into the hype in trying to justify this draft. I followed the draft for months before the draft by people who do this for a living and when they drafted this guy i said WHO. Never heard of him. 3rd rd pick. What ? There were many te rated higher than him and we needed help in so many other positions also. Could have had him in the 6th rd.

Leatherhead's picture

May 13, 2020 at 02:08 pm

He’s not a TE. He’s a slash. TE/hback/fullback/RB/slot

There is no offensive player who was available who would have helped us more.

jannes bjornson's picture

May 13, 2020 at 03:54 pm

Maybe watch the games on Tuesday and Thursday night s and scout the MAC and AAC. You would know about this guy since 2017.

Stroh's picture

May 13, 2020 at 07:11 pm

So do I. But the internet guys don't know what each team wants. At one time Wolf drafted a FB nobody ever heard of in the 3rd rd. William Henderson worked out pretty damn well, didn't he?!!

wildbill's picture

May 13, 2020 at 04:55 pm

I don’t watch college ball but his highlights look very good for where the Packers direction seems to be heading. But highlight film always looks great so we will see how he transitions to the NFL. I think Sternberger is an upgrade on Graham and if this guy plays well I think I’m starting to get excited about the new offense

Nate-1980's picture

May 13, 2020 at 07:34 pm

I was asked by jannes what player I would’ve took before Josiah in the third, I would’ve used a 7 th round pick to move up 3 slots to get Devin Duvernay.. I was reading up on him and watching highlights, and it looks like the Texans have a real playmaker in the making.. It all doesn’t matter now, and hope this works out, but I can’t see this FO, and draft as infallible.. So I guess now I’ll be called a troll.. Is that how this site works ?? Anyway, thanks for all you comments I’ve read from this site, learned a lot reading it over the years..

Leatherhead's picture

May 13, 2020 at 08:30 pm

Here’s the deal on Duvernay.

Even if he took every single snap at WR #2 he’d be a blocker or a decoy on 85 % of the plays. He’d be targeted about 10 times per game and catch about 100 balls. Meanwhile, Lazard and Funchess get nothing. IMO , he would have not improved the offense as much as Deguara will on a run and short pass offense.

PhantomII's picture

May 14, 2020 at 10:03 pm

We don't run 85% of the time. Slot guy built like a RB. Runs in 4.3's 800 yd season 6-8 TD's.