Gut Reactions: Week 9 vs Carolina Panthers

Aaron's gut reactions from the Packers loss to the Panthers.

• I need a smoke after that one.
  • I'm really at a loss. So too, apparently, are the Packers coaches.
  • I know the comeback showed heart, showed some determination, but there was a reason they needed a comeback.
  • Namely, because they played like shit digging themselves into a hole.
  • Most of last week the coaches and the scheme were in the fans and media's crosshairs. This week, it feels like things will start to shift over to the players.
  • Whether it's Josh Sitton or Corey Linsley or Richard Rodgers or Ha Ha Clinton Dix, there are a bevy of players not playing up to their abilities and it's killing the Packers.
  • Not let the coaching staff off the hook, especially Dom Capers. Why it takes a half of football to get aggressive is beyond me.
  • Not to mention if I ever see another three man rush on 3rd and 15+ I will most likely end the lives of two kittens.
  • I think the Packers threw two slants for six yards.
  • I liked how Tom Clements waited until the 4th quarter to find the call sheet with the sceen game on it. Or maybe Mike handed it to him halfway through the game and said "You know what? Try these."
  • The scene with Clinton-Dix and Peppers and Raji will get some ink this week, but it's mostly guys being frustrated.
  • That said, according to the broadcast, Peppers was giving Clinton-Dix an earful prior to what was shown. If you're the second year guy in that scenario, I suggest you just shut your mouth and acquiesce to the veteran.
  • I know the final fourth down play will be disected completely this week. Clearly, Rodgers had Cobb open but it's hard to say what he saw and how much the pressure affected his view.
  • Going to be a fun week.
  • I still love this team.
  • Go Pack.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:04 pm

At least we saw them finally break down and run some man beaters. It's truly hard to believe how stubborn they've been on offense.

Nerd's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:14 pm

They've been playing like this for 2 quarters every week for a decade now. Today they played like this for 3 quarters. Last week it was 4 quarters.

It is neither about the "scheme" nor about the "players." It is due to Mike McCarthy not knowing how to have this team mentally prepared to play football, or emotionally interested in doing so.

They can go back to Xs and Os all they want, that won't change.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:52 pm

It is neither about the "scheme"

I disagree, it's huge piece. Most of the West Coast Offense was created to beat the coverages they are seeing. I turn on the Colts vs the Broncos and I see the Colts (who have a terrible O-line) moving the football against the Broncos with stack receivers, motion, and all of the other stuff created to get guys off the line clean. And also allowing their defense to get a breather on the sideline. The Packers ran almost none of that stuff in the game last week even thought it's a textbook adjustment.

Players not caring is another issue. Eddy Lacy being allowed to come in totally out of shape speaks pretty poorly to how they are running things at the moment.

Nerd's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:07 pm

This isn't a WCO. This is a Mouse DAvis run and shoot.

Mike McCarthy knows he isn't smart enough to win a chess match on a regular basis. Therefore he doesn't "scheme" to get guys open. He schemes for "match ups."

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:26 pm

"This isn't a WCO."

Right, my point is that they refuse to use those concepts.

mrj007's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:12 pm

Screen passes, quick slants, pick rubs from bunch formations.... I don't know shit about caning plays but I wish you were making play calls. We NEEDED to run screens ALL DAY long - every one picked up at least 10 yds. WTF? You just keep caning the same stupid sit and get your QB killed because the O Line plays/looks like a drunk biker gang from Sturgis?

cheddarhead's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:47 pm

Yes they could of run the screen all day and went through their defense.

November 08, 2015 at 05:49 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe only one current head coach in the league has a higher winning percentage than Mike McCarthy over the last decade (Belichick if I'm not mistaken).

I don't think you can have that kind of success as a head coach if you don't know how to have your team mentally and emotionally prepared to play football.

Nerd's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:05 pm

Have you watched the game?

The Seattle game from last January, for example.

Ted has this team stocked with talent, so they can get by pretty well only showing up for 30 each week. Hell, they'd have won today if they showed up for at least HALF the game.

November 08, 2015 at 06:51 pm

Okay, I have to ask:

Did YOU actually watch the game vs. the Seahawks last January?

MM had the Packers situated to come in and completely dominate the Seahawks on their home turf for 56 minutes. And they did

I could see if the Packers laid an egg or played sub par football for the first half, and it cost them the game. They didn't. They manhandled seattle for three and three-quarters of regulation.

Bah, whatever.

Nerd's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:55 pm

Remember how we had two consecutive goal line situations early? I don't view what happened there as "dominant." Just my opinion.

November 08, 2015 at 10:42 pm

What do you mean by "mentally and emotionally prepared" and "showing up" for the game? Those are very vague terms. How exactly are these things measured? How can you determine them from a television screen?

LeagueObsrvr's picture

November 09, 2015 at 01:13 am

You can tell by the players' demeanor as the game goes along. The sideline reporter even called attention to it at one point, saying the players on the Packers sideline seemed unemotional and without a sense of urgency.

November 09, 2015 at 06:03 am

With all respect, observations of demeanors from a television screen (or a sideline reporter) are not quantifiable. The point is that "mentally and emotionally prepared" and "showing up" mean vastly different things to different people.

What we're really talking about is leadership. As Packers fans we have Vince Lombardi in our DNA. The stories of Coach as a leader of men are legendary. Sometimes we long for another personality that can seemingly will his team to victory.

However, Coach was leading late 50's/early 60s men. Beginning with the Vietnam generation, men (and women) do not want to be "led" anymore. This is particularly true on a professional football team, where each player is a corporation unto themselves.

D.D.Driver's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:06 pm

You are wasting your breath. There are fans that (honestly) believe that the Packers have been successful despite McCarthy (and Ted Thompson). Every year there is a flavor of the week that seems on the cusp of a dynasty that never pans out.

Every year, the Patriots, Packers, and Steelers will field a good team and have a chance at the Super Bowl. For the last ten years its been those three teams against "the field." Every year, one or two teams from the field will rise up and put together a great team, and then within a year or two free agency catches up to them and they fall back into the pile of shit.

There just aren't better run, better coached, better prepared teams (from the GM to the ball boys) than the Packers. And if you *think* there are, just wait two years and get back to me.

November 08, 2015 at 06:48 pm

Word, D.D.

And you're right, I probably am wasting my breath.

November 09, 2015 at 01:16 am

I always take note of your posts, Oppy, because IMO many of them are very good, including those with which I am not in entire agreement. This may be simplistic, but in general TT is responsible for acquiring talent and MM is responsible for the correct usage of that talent. I think TT is a top 3 -5 GM, though there is room to criticize him (which means I have gone off on rants about some draft selections). I'd also note that those other top GMs have only won one or two SBs.

I think MM is a good HC. Yet he has had a great player at the most important position for most of his head coaching career. I think the rest of the team is comprised of good talent, less so on the defensive side.

Have the results matched the talent? I'd say that reasonable expectations have been met, though not by much; I would not say that they have been exceeded. I grant that there is a lot more room for failure than there is for exceeding expectations. I can't name a coach who is available that I am reasonably sure would do better than MM has done, so I don't call for his head. Play calling, scheme, creativity, use of players, Monday through Saturday coach, and the quality of his coaching staff have been mentioned, but I don't think there is any problem with the team not playing for MM. I'd say that TT is a better GM than MM is a HC, so that is where I am looking.

D.D.Driver's picture

November 09, 2015 at 02:15 am

"I think MM is a good HC. Yet he has had a great player at the most important position for most of his head coaching career."

You don't think McCarthy and his staff had any role whatsoever in Rodgers' emergence? That Rodgers just came into the league as a fully formed HOF level player and got that way all by himself without any coaching along the way?

November 09, 2015 at 03:11 am

I think MM is a good quarterbacks coach and he hired a good QB coach as well. That is not the same as being a good HC. That said, I do not advocate firing MM.

D.D.Driver's picture

November 09, 2015 at 08:13 am

Understood. But the tenor of many of these posts is that McCarthy's record should have an astrix because he has been lucky that he has had Rodgers on his team. As if Rodgers somehow descended from Planet Krypton in a crystal bassinet, and lifted McCarthy's jalopy pick-up truck off off his body while McCarthy was changing a flat.

Rodgers' development is one of the greatest accomplishments on McCarthy's resume. But Packer fans like to instead pretend that it somehow diminishes all the other stuff. Crazy.

November 09, 2015 at 08:59 am

We are on the same page, pretty much, regarding MM, I think.

Archie's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:19 pm

Yes you can if #12 is your QB1. When #12 doesn't play near perfectly, MM is in trouble. Except he isn't because of his W/L record. But that record really belongs to #12. It's a circle that lets TT/MM stay 15 years despite getting only 1 SB win despite having teh best QB on the planet. But that's how the homer fans want it so that is how it shall be.

November 08, 2015 at 07:31 pm

Why do I get the gut feeling that you, Archie, believe that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy could learn a thing or two from Mike Holmgren and Ron Wolf... Even though they have pretty much the exact same resumes' at the end of the day?

November 08, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Archie also always forgets to mention that TT (for 3 years) and MM (for 2 years) had to deal with the insufferable BF, for whom Archie's heart beats more fondly daily.

November 08, 2015 at 07:32 pm

And Belicheat got fired as a HC once becuz he didn't have a great QB. A great QB goes hand in hand w/ a great HC. The 2 are inextricably tied together. Rodgers may not be a great QB w/o McCarthy and McCarthy may not be a great HC w/ Rodgers. Goes BOTH ways! McCarthy is one of the best QB coaches in the NFL, and one of the best couple HC in the NFL!!

November 08, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Is there a difference between a Packers fan and a homer fan? If I don't live in GB can I still be a homer fan? If I cheer for the Packers when they are on the road am I not a homer? I like homers in baseball, does that mean anything?

Help me, I'm confused.

Tundraboy's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:17 pm

Finally is right.

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:06 pm

-cuban cigar (yes, a real one)
-Coaches had the right game plan
-About effing time they showed some heart and emotion. I'm tired of seeing flat faces just watching them game.
-The first half was sh*t. Second half was less sh*t. Passes were always inaccurate, blocking sucked, no pass rush, blown coverages.
-Coaches are still on the hook as one game does not a season make. The players are always to blame on individual efforts. This week was no different.
-3 man rush??? Come on Capers! Play the way you got there. You have effing #52, man!
-This week was better than last
-Tons of stuff to fix
-Prepare to make stafford look like a god
-Prepare to beat the Lions
-Go Pack Go!

November 08, 2015 at 04:16 pm

What part of the game plan did you like? It was terrible until the 2nd half.

Newton is going to have nice stats, but he missed a few TD passes and was a scatter arm in general.

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:32 pm

I saw the return of the slant pass, back to back called runs (while we were behind), I saw a few play action and designed roll-outs, I saw screens. Yes, the second half was a lot better, but the game plan was there. Also, I like that adjustments were made at the half. Tom Clements saved his job today.

Newton absolutely missed a few plays that could've blown the doors off of us. That wasn't a game plan problem though; it was an execution problem.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:49 pm

Slant pass, Roll-outs and Screens, yeah with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The offensive game plan was a joke.

November 08, 2015 at 05:00 pm

"Newton absolutely missed a few plays that could've blown the doors off of us."

He also dropped a couple bombs in on "well-covered" (ahem, PI) receivers that really had no business being caught. What comes around goes around.

November 08, 2015 at 05:19 pm

My definition of the game plan differs from yours. The game plan is put in during the week, before the game. The game plan showed that the coaches learned very little. It was terrible.

Adjustments can be made prior to half time. It is legal to do that. The fact that running the type of plays that have been advocated on this site worked during this game does not translate into Clements saving his play calling duties, though I suppose too late too little is better than never making the adjustments at all.

NickPerry's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:43 pm

Clements shouldn't have saved his job, for all we know McCarthy was in Rodgers ear in the 4th quarter and "Suggesting Calls" to Clements. Something has got to change but I can hear mashed Potato Mike already, "Well I thought we played well the last nine minutes of the game and can build off that".

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:54 pm

Yeah, or "I don't really get into scheme"...

KenEllis's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:08 pm

Am wondering when someone who covers the Pack has the cajones to call for Dom's head.

That 3-man rush in the first quarter set the tone for the whole first 3 quarters, just like his 3-man rush in Seattle in last year's NFC Championship game helped give Seattle life when none existed.

At this point of Dom's tenure, comments like "if I ever see another three man rush on 3rd and 15+ I will most likely end the lives of two kittens" are just tiresome.

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:10 pm

I can not believe the call of a 3 man rush. There is zero reason to call that play when our secondary is that banged up and abused.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:59 pm

The problem with Capers is that he gets teams playing well for about 3-4 weeks here and there against a string of bad to mediocre QB's and then everyone talks about what a defensive genius he is. Well, he is very, very smart. But, what he doesn't do well is define a game plan his guys can execute. How many times did we watch Nate Palmer fail to pick up a guy in coverage because he was still diagnosing if it was a run play? A plan is only a good one if the guys can execute it. We've seen the same thing over and over in the secondary. The players don't understand the "genius" scheme well enough to play it a game speed against good offenses.

November 08, 2015 at 06:06 pm

Kinda of funny. The book on Capers years ago was that he can improve a defense for a year or two, and then the defense regresses. Now he is down to a couple of games. Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with you at all.

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:08 pm

Have to add one: Watching Indy make Denver look like a joke is very disheartening.

KenEllis's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:17 pm

C'mon now, the company line after last week's loss is that nobody could ever move on the best defense ever assembled.

Don't point out facts that don't fit the narrative.

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:33 pm

I love you, KenEllis!

Idiot Fan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:12 pm

- I don't care about the three-man rush; I care about dropping 8 and still leaving guys wiiiiide open.

- I think the O is just in a funk that it will get out of; I think the D is made in the image of Capers and will never change until Capers is gone.

- I'm calling it now: we are going to play that team again this year, and we're going to beat them by 20.

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:14 pm

I think your last point is very good. I think that halftime was a turning point in our offense's season.

November 08, 2015 at 05:01 pm

I hope you're both right.

porupack's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:11 pm

It is no turning point. It is coaches continuing to fail to insert a strategy to exploit the opponent from the beginning and having the team ready. Seems Colts can. This team played bad all year, and fans seem content with "glad they learned to win the ugly games". What BS is that? It means they're playing crap football, and maybe got lucky bounce.

Another game, and another record day for the opponent.

I've said it all year ; GB defense was way over-rated. I call it every year; until TT drafts quality ILB and DEs, the D is so vulnerable to exploitation. Totally obvious from pre-season that Offense should have had upgrade at TE position, and caused a ripple effect as much as loss of Jordy.

I didn't think I was that smart, but jeez, I must be after all.
I now join the fire-capers club. I'm checking out the fire-MM club. When do they meet?

Tundraboy's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:19 pm

Good to see some fire today albeit too little too late. Even if it was also amongst each other. Better than the look on their faces the week before

TommyG's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:21 pm

I saw a lot of positives in that second half!

Klincker's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:21 pm

Not the kittens!

November 08, 2015 at 04:27 pm

My cat was never in any danger, but he decided that my lap was not a good place for repose today.

NickPerry's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:48 pm

Mine too, they were in the Bedroom! Nagler leave the Kittys alone!!

rjwh23's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:22 pm

Some observations as I sat behind the Packer’s bench during today’s game:
• Defensive players sat on the bench as if it was a church pew. I almost never saw a coach talking to players, like the offensive coaches did on the sidelines. It appeared the D was leaderless, with players killing time until having to return to the field.
• Bulaga couldn’t block anyone.
• From a fan’s perspective, watching last week’s debacle on TV was easier. Sitting near the sideline is gut wrenching -- three + hours of second-guessing what the defense was trying to do.
Listened to the Panther’s broadcast and former Packer, Eugene Robinson’s analysis. Some of his observations:
• He wondered throughout the first half why GB’s DBs were playing man-to-man 5 yards off Carolina’s receivers.
• He said the Panthers were fortunate that the Packer’s didn’t try the screen pass until the fourth quarter.
• Described Bulaga repeatedly getting beat by a “windshield wiper” move.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:22 pm

I love this team, I love this team, I love this team. It gets hard to say after games like that, but I have to remind myself that once and a while.
Horrible game. Coaches have to figure something out. Can't blame them for everything, but they were terrible. As bad as the coaches were, players were just as bad.

That all being said, they are 6-2. Made a great comeback. Maybe that fight will turn it around for them.
I was happy to see Ryan getting in the game. I thought he did well overall. I still would like to see other young players getting into the game more. Elliott, Gunter, Janis, and Abbrederis.

November 08, 2015 at 04:56 pm

Maaaaan, please explain to me why we see Perrilo (or whatever) flexed out wide running routes when we have Janis and Abby available?

November 08, 2015 at 05:12 pm

Better yet, what does it say about Janis and Abbrederis, when they can't get on the field ahead of Perillo?! Maybe that for all the Janis hype, its TOTALLY Unwarranted?!

November 08, 2015 at 05:21 pm

OR that we have very stubborn coaches. Hard to say which is the case.

November 08, 2015 at 05:53 pm

....OR very stubborn QB who may or may not have some or too much control over personnel package decisions?

Just throwing it out there.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:21 pm

I have no idea why we see Perillo out wide and not Janis.
The other thing I don't get. We start the game with great play action plays, hit Ripkowski for a nice big gain. Then we don't see that the rest of the game. Another thing, how don't we see a screen pass until the 4th quarter?

What that is telling me, is that whoever is calling the plays is doing a horrible job.

Also how is it that we are constantly burning timeouts due to the play clock running down. Seems like they are taking to long to get the plays in.

November 08, 2015 at 05:59 pm

As a different poster noted last week (sorry I don't remember who), I sure wish there was a way to know if it's Clements or Rodgers who is responsible for the final play at the line of scrimmage from time to time.

Keep in mind, the play call that goes into the huddle is not necessarily the play that gets executed on any given play.

I have wondered- nothing more, nothing less- but I have wondered if part of MM's decision to pull away from playcalling stems from being tired of butting heads with Rodgers on the sideline- friction has definitely been building between them over the last few years and it seems like it was becoming a bit of a power struggle. I have wondered if MM just said, "You know what, I've been thinking other areas of the team need more direction anyways, why not kill two birds with one stone? You guys think you can run the offense better? Fine, go to it. I'll be over here if you have any questions. "

November 08, 2015 at 06:06 pm

@Oppy

That's very interesting. I HOPE things aren't that bad there in Green Bay. That doesn't sound healthy at all. I can't imagine one without the other (MM & AR).

November 08, 2015 at 06:57 pm

IF it were the case, I wouldn't think its messy. I would think it was a matter of things heading that direction, and MM relenting before it got to be a distraction.

MM clearly believes, and has publicly stated many times, that he feels he needs to give Aaron more room to run the offense. It does appear that playcalling has been the subject of a few heated moments on the sidelines over the years, whether it's MM seemingly upset with Rodgers changing a play at the LOS or Rodgers being unhappy with MM sending a particular personnel grouping out on the field.

I just wonder if MM just decided the building friction was more of a hindrance than it was worth.

Totally unsubstantiated spitballing on my part.

porupack's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:20 pm

It isn't the play calling per se, but lack of strategy of the play calls. Anyone watching the last 7 packers games should see need to do a serious change-up. I would have installed a quick pass/2 minute drill type offense for the first 3-4 series and wear down the pass rushers before running much. But MM continues basically the same vanilla game plan. Runs on 1st or 2nd yielded 2-3 yards/play. Then third down and 8, 10, 13, 18 (whatever the announcer kept saying...long+), the whole stadium knows a pass. What is so hard to about strategy???

November 09, 2015 at 06:21 am

Oppy, I'd be thrilled to have AR call all the plays. That doesn't mean I have issues with TC or MM. Your question shows that criticism regarding play calling is ultimately uninformed, but it is interesting to speculate.

NickPerry's picture

November 09, 2015 at 06:26 am

Oppy that's interesting and one that might be right on the mark. My first thought was did McCarthy pay ANY attention to the defense?

Archie's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:26 pm

ditto Lacy on at least one play...

kildahljb's picture

November 08, 2015 at 09:13 pm

Agree. If they don't trust Janis to run real routes, just have him run fly patterns and maybe, just maybe, he blows by someone. Let Abby run the "real" routes

November 08, 2015 at 05:06 pm

Whats so hard to figure out for you? WR aren't getting ANY separation at all! The D is missing 2 of its 3 best CB.

Capers tried 3 man rush and coverage, the D gets gashed. Capers rushes 5 or 6 his D gets gashed. Points to continuous issues where the D isn't playing sound! HHCD gets in a shouting match w/ Peppers and won't shut his pie hole. Shows the kid made a couple mistakes! But lets get more young players in the game so we can put up w/ MORE MISTAKES?!

What does it say about Janis, that a rookie like Ryan is able to step in and play decent football. Yet Janis can't get on the field when a WR that can stretch the D is SO F'in obvious? Says he must not have a F'in clue that's what it says!

TarynsEyes's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:16 pm

I wouldn't be so sure that the 'clueless' aspect is solely on Janis in regard to your comparison with Ryan. Ryan is playing or getting time because of the failure at ILB as a whole ,where as the failing at the WR position is still in denial....and my thought,Rodgers has a disdain for him for some reason other than the trust bs...the object is to win and if Ryan gets in under that guise the same should be for Janis...can't be any worse at this time than what we witness lately. :)

November 08, 2015 at 05:25 pm

It's not about hype, smart ass. It's about who can give the team the best chance of being successful. Don't you sit up there and act like you don't believe the coaches play or start the wrong players at times!!!

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:35 pm

Coaches definitely don't play players they should at times. We saw all preseason Gunter shit guys down. Starters not just guys. And yet they are playing Goodson over Gunter? I don't get it. I would rather have Bush playing then Goodson.
I thought Janis proved he could play against the Chargers. I guess I was wrong about that.
I don't get why Elliott hasn't been playing lately. Each week he was making plays after plays. The last 3-4 games and he barely sees the field. I don't get it.

J0hn Denver's Gavel's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:06 pm

Exactly. Goodson has no business on the field. The bottom of the DB depth chart needs attention, and a shake up. Gunter sure got the coaches' attentions with the two penalties, I believe both on ST. Frustrating penalties will definitely cost him future PT.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:18 pm

I don't know about the first penalty on Gunter but the second looked like he got him on the side. Looked like a good block to me.

One thing I never understood. Why does playing time on offense or defense be determined by special teams play?

I just don't see what the coaches see in Goodson. He is slow reacting and is horrible in coverage. Based on preseason, Gunter was far and away the better player.

NickPerry's picture

November 09, 2015 at 06:30 am

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! For the life of me I can't understand WHY TT kept him. He couldn't cover in the preseason against UDFA, hows he going to cover starting NFL WR's. Carolinas WR group is hardly average at best. Hey Ted, this is where trading a 6th rounder might be a good thing, keep you from keeping guys like Goodson just because he was a draft pick.

November 09, 2015 at 08:59 am

JDG - I'd rather have Goodson on an outside WR than Hyde. I love Micah, but he's just not fast enough, and should not be put in that position.

Jacksonville came so close again yesterday. Really like the way they play, very consistent and disciplined. If you check out the Fox Radio Sunday morning show Mike Harmon and Dan Byer are calling them Actionville!

November 08, 2015 at 05:31 pm

Yeah Ryan is getting playing time due to a lack of good options at ILB. Are you saying there are better options at WR, cuz I Sure as hell haven't seen ANY WR getting seperation!

Adams is at best a #2 WR, who probably and based on recent evidence, SURELY isn't ready in that role! Cobb is NOT and never will be a #1 WR, even tho he's a terrific slot WR. R. Rodgers couldn't get separation if his life depended on it! James Jones has helped but same damn problem, he can't get open and has to hope he can make contested receptions!

And w/ all this lack of production and separation, its the coaches fault for not trying Janis? What the hell does it say about Janis then?!

Coaches are trying different personnel. different coverages and rush schemes? Tried some bunch and stack formations and NOTHING is getting receivers open. Yet Janis still isn't getting a shot? They must REALLY not trust him!!!!!!!

chugwater's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:33 pm

Rich Rod reminds me of Bubba Franks without the hands. At least Bubba could help in short yardage situations and red zone.

November 08, 2015 at 06:03 pm

R.Rodgers had 2 TDs while the Pack were in the Red Zone and I believe they both came on 3rd down.

November 08, 2015 at 06:02 pm

Richard Rodgers redeeming quality is that he has very good hands overall..

November 08, 2015 at 07:40 pm

I agree R. Rodgers has great hands and can make some contested catches, what he can't do is get ANY separation or get himself open!

November 08, 2015 at 08:49 pm

Well, he's not fast, that's for sure.

He has shown the ability to get himself open in a congested space- like the red zone- where the need for speed is lessened, and being crafty and opportunistic can get you into a good situation in the end zone.

Just pointing out to Chug that saying he's B. Franks with lousy hands probably isn't quite accurate. It's more like he's B. Franks, but playing in a vertical offense instead of a WCO.

chugwater's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:05 pm

True. I just wish he were more consistent. He has had too many drops in recent games, today included. Much more impactful last year. Needs to break out of the sophomore slump.

November 08, 2015 at 07:00 pm

The argument that I'm surprised you haven't received is "Remember when the Packers coaching staff spent three seasons refusing to play Desmond Bishop at ILB, and then when they finally did, all he did was make plays?"

But, hey, who am I to say that sometimes the Packers coaching staff makes mistakes. But, you know what, they do sometimes.

All that having been said, I don't think Janis is a coaching mistake. He's not ready. But your argument is rubbish, Dan.

Archie's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:30 pm

especially Winston Moss ..... see AJ Hawk for a decade.

November 08, 2015 at 07:59 pm

Proof is in the pudding. W/o Jordy, Cobb has proven he isn't a #1 WR, Adams has proven he is nothing more than a #2 WR, and I haven't seen evidence he's ready for that role. R. Rodgers has proven he can't get any seperation! Jones gets no seperation anywhere.

I don't know what more evidence you need? And amidst all this Janis can't get on the field. I would say the evidence is tremendously in my favor.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 08:23 pm

Coaches are right, they are always right. Cobb is a number 1, Adams is a number 2 and Jones is a number 3. Their use of Rodgers and Perillo outside is nothing short of genius. It puts their best receiving options on the field. You are right proof is in the pudding. Coaches clearly have everything under control.

November 08, 2015 at 08:54 pm

I didn't say coaches are always right. THey are human too. But I will say they know a hell of a lot more about the players than you or I do, since you know they are around them EVERY DAY. But go ahead and keep believing you know more than they do.

Clearly you are right and they are wrong and F'ed in the head. I'm waiting to congratulate you on your upcoming announcement of a HC job in the NFL.

BTW I saw Janis on the field quite a bit today. He did nothing.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Yes they are around the players every day. They see what happens in practice and meetings. I have never once said that I know more then them. I have never once said that I am going to be a coach. And I have never said they were f'ed in the head. Quit being a douche.
All I have ever said is what I want to see done. And fact is I share the same opinion of a lot of people. And I'm talking about people like Brian Carriveau, Jason Wilde and many more who's opinions I respect.
And the fact is that the coaches could do a better job using players they have and using their strengths. And I'm not just talking about Janis even though that's who your fixated on. I'm talking about guys like Elliott.
And yes I saw Janis in the game. Blocking. Makes a lot of sense to have a guy with his speed and play making ability in the backfield blocking. Just like it made a lot of sense to wait till the 4th quarter to use a screen pass.

November 08, 2015 at 07:48 pm

Proof is in the pudding. W/o Jordy, Cobb has proven he isn't a #1 WR, Adams has proven he is nothing more than a #2 WR, R. Rodgers has proven he can't get any seperation! Joes getn noseperation anywhere.

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:49 pm

Proof is in the pudding. W/o Jordy, Cobb has proven he isn't a #1 WR, Adams has proven he is nothing more than a #2 WR, R. Rodgers has proven he can't get any seperation! Jones gestn noseperation anywhere.

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:49 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:50 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:50 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:50 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:50 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:51 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 07:51 pm

I don'tk now what more evidence you need?

November 08, 2015 at 08:00 pm

Sorry bout the multiple comments. Stupid computer froze and comment wouldn't submit.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 08:24 pm

Sure, blame it on the computer. ;)

D.D.Driver's picture

November 08, 2015 at 09:10 pm

But where is the PROOF?!?!

November 09, 2015 at 12:04 am

Hahahahaha

BELIEVER's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:42 pm

If Janis can't play cut our loses and move on! Teddy can be stuborn. Is Miles White still out there?

November 08, 2015 at 06:06 pm

Janis is a long term project WR who may or may not work out.

The reason he will be active every week and will play out his entire contract is because he's an excellent special teams player.

That talent for special teams play will buy the Packers (and Janis himself) every opportunity to see if he can turn the corner and capitalize on his physical talents to become an NFL caliber WR.

porupack's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:26 pm

I agree on your point about Janis, Abby and other young players not being ready or the solution. However, I've also lost faith in Capers and McCarthy's preparing a game strategy designed for the opponent of the week. So, I don't know. Maybe MM and DC are just clueless.

Packer_Pete's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:23 pm

"I suggest you just shut your mouth and acquiesce to the veteran" - not if that veteran plays like sh*t repeatedly... and that is what Peppers has done the last 3 weeks actually. better shut up and look at his own play. Not that HHCD played well either...

BELIEVER's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:51 pm

Peppers is done after this year.

chugwater's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:07 pm

In Dallas that's called 'passionate leadership' and is just as ineffective.

November 08, 2015 at 06:09 pm

There isn't another OLB in the league who has more sacks than Julius Peppers does right now.

WTF are you guys talking about?

November 08, 2015 at 06:24 pm

Wait, did that quote come from Peppers' mouth?

November 09, 2015 at 02:11 am

Peppers has 5 sacks, the glamour stat. At least two were caused by the DL flushing the QB, with Peppers doing his job and cleaning up. Peppers has only 7 pressures in 346 snaps (1 every 49 snaps), 17th among LBs. Erik Walden has 9. Houston has 24. Peppers has 0.5 run stuffs. He has 17 total tackles, on a pace for 34. Perry has 5 hurries in 143 snaps (1 every 28.6 snaps). Daniels has 9.5 from the DE position. If you think Peppers is playing at a high level because he leads OLBs in sacks, I would strongly disagree. I'd say he is an average OLB at this point.

November 09, 2015 at 06:34 am

Hi tgr! Will have to slightly disagree, as I think Peppers makes plays that don't show in the stats. For example, Jonathan Stewart had a run between the RG/RT where he briefly got to the second level. Peppers, from behind, grabs and pulls Stewart backwards. Most guys from Peppers' position would take the opportunity for the bigger hit, knocking Stewart forward. Peppers was smart enough (and strong enough) not to do that.

November 09, 2015 at 09:05 am

Fair enough. He might even dissuade opponents from running certain plays, IDK. I'd say a green+ to a red- would be a fair grade.

November 10, 2015 at 09:51 am

I agree, good call.

Since'61's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:24 pm

The defense was just awful again today. No sacks, Newton running all over the place and poor coverage. The OL was also a nightmare again. 5 sacks, too many hits on Rodgers and poor blocking for the ground game. 8 dropped passes is unacceptable. All of that we were still one play away from tying the game. If the OL holds up on the 4th down play we score a TD. Offense is having too much trouble on 3rd down. Also poor use of timeouts hurt us at the end of the first half. This team needs a lot of work especially on defense. Thanks, Since '61

Charvid's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:55 pm

Trouble on 3rd down is right...starting with the damn distance. As Aikman pointed out, 3rd & 9, 3rd & 11, 3rd and 14 repeatedly. Much of that was due to poor Oline play--not opening holes or allowing sacks. What happened to this line? It should be better than last yr's, but holy crap they look awful. It's real hard to look good on 3rd down when line plays like that.

BELIEVER's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:55 pm

Agree it seems Lindsy has regressed and Bulga what is going on with him. Who the hell is the o-line coach. He needs to go. It all starts with the o-line. Rodgers has no time, no holes and crappy play from the line. Bye Bye Dom Capers you can leave too.

Phillthy's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:25 pm

Good loss boys, we needed it.

A loss will inspire change, a loss will prompt action.

A win would have only disguised our flaws for abother week, hopefully this results in action.

I'm glad the players got mad at one another, we need the fire and killer instinct that eluded us in Seattle and Denver.

It's sad to say but when this team is down 2 touchdowns there is little hope, it was good to see them try and it ultimately be futile.

Hopefully a chip is placed on every shoulder, and this is the streak we need to find ourselves riding high into the Super Bowl, go Pack go!

D.D.Driver's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:40 pm

Don't know if they needed another loss. Much rather have watched them complete the comeback. But I'm glad the swagger came back in the fourth quarter. They finally remembered that they are the freaking Packers and decided to play like it. There was a lot to like about the way the team finished the game. I even like seeing the veterans chewing out the DBs (and then have that followed by an INT).

Point-Packer's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:26 pm

Bulaga is over-paid. Big time. Hope he's injured, cause he is playing like absolute garbage out there.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:41 pm

He had knee surgery about 6 weeks ago. Pretty sure he's not 100%

Packer_Pete's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:51 pm

Then let a healthy guy play. If even a healthy guy is not as good as 80% of Bulaga then this team is in deep trouble. In general, both OTs are terrible. And that is a compliment...

BELIEVER's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:00 pm

Then get him out of there, where is the dept on this team, we do have a bench. Bulga sucks,if he can't play because of knee surgery then get him out of there. Whats it going to take. Make some changes. Sometimes I wonder what is so obvious to many, does MM has blinders on?

Irish_Cheesehead's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:02 pm

Oh, and then have Don Barclay go in for him? Did you see how Barclay played when he was in there?

chugwater's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:09 pm

I don't hope anybody is injured regardless of how they play.

November 08, 2015 at 06:14 pm

I haven't seen Bulaga as being a liability overall. Today, most of the play-crushing pressures came from blown pick ups up the middle- Starks, Kuhn. and Linsely all had multiple, uncharacteristic failures to correctly prioritize pressure on the inside and make the appropriate blitz pick up.

Starks in particular was caught looking outside instead of inside on multiple occasions.

Bakhtiari, though.. I won't say he's bad, but he's not a franchise type LT you want protecting the best QB in the league. IMO, he's the only offensive lineman the Packers need to actively look to upgrade (well, you always look for an upgrade regardless, but you know what I mean.)

November 09, 2015 at 06:55 am

^^This, 100%

Lermdogg's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:26 pm

Jake Ryan showed up today. I don't know why it took this long to get this guy some playing time.

jbromusic's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:46 pm

he might not be a great player but he played with some heart and some fire. i like him

zoellner25's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:29 pm

I'll say this. This team looked lost, disinterested, and completely out of touch in first half. At least they showed life and didn't quit in 2nd half. Getting embarrassed again should do that

November 08, 2015 at 04:48 pm

I agree on the lost,disinterested and out of touch claims.

EdsLaces's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:29 pm

Yay for the Jake Ryan siting. Liked the Ripkowski play...Nagler or Brian asked for it and it happened. 23 is definitely making some plays which is needed because Hayward just sucks. Hate to keep saying we will be better when we are healthy cause ...are we ever gonna get healthy?

Point-Packer's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:29 pm

Oh, and so is Peppers. Ha Ha played like shit, but our D line allowed Cam to stand back there all day. Including our 10 million dollar star Julius Peppers.

jh9's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:29 pm

I'll be a Packers fan until I die.
However,
If Cam Newton was a more accurate passer, Carolina would have scored over 50 points
Except for a few series, both our offense and defense played poorly again
This is not the play of a Super Bowl champion
I'm forced to the conclusion that over the last six years what we are is a fairly good team with a really good quarterback and mediocre coaching
I wish I could be more positive

wimiller's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:41 pm

you nailed it. we built up our record against weak teams. the middle of the field has been wide open since the 4th and 26 years ago except when nick collins of blessed memory was around to give a real safety. the play calling until junk time was just awful. Ha Ha had an awful game ,but you do not see Peppers making plays either. I assume Ryan was in only because they have lost all patience with Palmer. Ryan will not be much better, as impossible as that might be

November 08, 2015 at 05:11 pm

"Ryan was in only because they have lost all patience with Palmer. Ryan will not be much better, as impossible as that might be"

Then let the guy play. What can it hurt at this point?

Irish_Cheesehead's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:03 pm

Exactly. Ryan has way more upside than Palmer.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:06 pm

Ryan is an MLB and has those instincts. With the exception of Clay the record on OLBs moving to MLB is pretty poor.

Archie's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:35 pm

yes, we are the cleve browns of the 80s, coached by Marty Shittenheimer, the same guy who served as MM's mentor.

November 09, 2015 at 06:58 am

Another very insightful and clever comment that we've seen 100 times before, thanks.

porupack's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Totally agree. Flawed drafting and inability to upgrade with a prudent free agent or 2; at ILB and TE. Both positions have deep ripple effects.

November 08, 2015 at 04:46 pm

I'm going to get straight to the point:

Aaron Rodgers is playing like ass. I'm down to go back and forth with ANYONE on this. Yes, the line hasn't been playing great and yes, the WRs could be more consistent. But damn it, I've been seeing Rodgers take sacks he hasn't even seen coming. I've seen Rodgers take unnecessary sacks. I've seen Rodgers with a clean pocket overthrow WIDE OPEN receivers. I've seen Rodgers with a clean pocket make bad throws which wipes away any potential RAC (and fortunately was still somehow caught). Rodgers finally started to show some emotion late in the game and that's when things started to turn. I don't have any gripes with him from then on (only because I don't know if I should blame him,MM or TC for that burned TO in the 4th).

That arguing by Peppers and HHCD and shove by Raji -- I like. At least the Defense seems to care. I don't think it was anything serious. If I had to guess, it was about effort. Clay and Daniels are the only guys who seem to always be on 100. I don't know what the hell the Safeties were doing this game. It seemed like they were always getting burned. Palmer played bad this game, but I think he's being scapegoated. I don't see anyone else getting benched when they eff up and there are players constantly getting beat or messing up. Hayward, Mike Neal, Randall (he did bounce back with a clucth INT) and HHCD. I just think the message being sent on Defense is a bad one.

Lacy should be reduced to goal line and closer duty.

I don't even know why I'm upset after I guessed this 6-2 record. I'm 8-0 on the season so far.

November 08, 2015 at 04:53 pm

What don't you like about Rodgers having to throw to receiver that are perfectly covered? Rodgers is doing about EVERYTHING he can. Threw a pass to Cobb who was so well covered that he hit the DB in the head!

If the F'in WR did his job and GOT OPEN Rodgers wouldn't be reduced to throwing to covered WR!

What's so difficult? I mean really?

Packer_Pete's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:01 pm

Well Cam Newton threw to perfectly covered WRs. That worked too. HE is an NFL QB. Maybe #12 should take some chances and throw to guys, trusting them to make the play, instead of just calculating the TD-to-INT ration all the freaking time

Idiot Fan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:13 pm

Wow, only uber-spoiled Packer fans could make a statement like this.

BELIEVER's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:13 pm

It all starts with the O-line, give just a tad bit longer and he is the best QB in the game. Tom Brady would be chewing that line out on national tv. Don't blame Rodgers for the crap that's going on around him.

porupack's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:38 pm

You are out of your mind dude. Tired of Rogers? Are you kidding? You obviously have no clue if you're a packer fan. But if you're a Chigo fan, then I can understand your comment. Or were you talking about Cutler?

November 09, 2015 at 07:25 am

Wow, people really want it both ways. Last week the complaint was that Rodgers wasn't a screamer like Brady and Rivers. Now we're upset that AR is allegedly upset with certain players and coaches.

"We" is the way to communicate regarding a team sport. It keeps from singling out individuals for bad plays. I've heard AR take plenty of personal responsibility for his performance.

The stats through this point in his career say he is the best ever. Dare I say the "eye test" does also? I'm old enough to have seen the great Bart Starr (through a child's eye). Mr. Starr will always be my favorite, but AR is clearly more talented, even accounting for different eras. His TD/INT ratio alone makes him better than BF. Marino is the only QB I've ever seen that comes close to AR.

November 09, 2015 at 12:06 am

@Pete It's not really about Rodgers taking chances. I think he does at times, but he's just not himself right now.

For every play where he squeezes a pass in between 2 defenders and Adams drops it...

There's a play where Cobb is running free with 2 or more steps passed the CB and Rodgers just over throws it.

The blame goes both ways, but the receivers aren't MVPs. They aren't being paid like Rodgers is getting paid. So Rodgers has to shoulder majority of the blame.

November 08, 2015 at 05:06 pm

So, Rodgers never had to throw receivers open? Is what we're seeing new to Rodgers?

Maybe Rodgers hit the CB in the head because the pass was bad? Is that possible?

I already said the WRs need to be more consistent,but if you think the reasoning behind the 2 losses - you're crazy.

This WR play has been happening this entire season -- I guess it's just coincidence that Rodgers had better numbers that game.There's been one standout game by a WR and it was against the Chiefs.

November 08, 2015 at 05:19 pm

Shows that Rodgers is always throwing receivers open, not to mention covered receivers! And w/o Jordy to stretch the field, it's all the more Obvious!

Been saying for a LONG time now, Adams is at best a #2 WR who isn't ready for that role. Cobb is a great slot WR but NOT a #1 WR, and R. Rodgers can make some contested catches, but can't get HIMSELF open. But go ahead, and keep making excuses for all the receivers you OVER-rated!

November 08, 2015 at 06:00 pm

I agree about Adams. He might develop, but right now he does not gain separation. Adams and Jones are #3/4 WRs, despite the Adams hype.

Icebowler's picture

November 08, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Those three games Adams missed really messed with his development this year. He played much better than last week and if he can stay healthy, I think he'll improve each week going forward.

porupack's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:43 pm

A lot of us agree Stodola. Its just some on this site who over-rate. But one legit excuse is that MM hasn't installed route-concepts and strategies for getting mediocre receivers open. We know around the league a lot of mediocre receivers can be very productive with good strategies-designs.

Idiot Fan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:11 pm

I'm as big of a Rodgers fan as there is, but he has definitely missed some throws to open receivers that he normally hits. He's not playing bad by NFL standards, but he's been playing bad relative to his own high standards.

November 08, 2015 at 05:16 pm

Exactly @IF

That's all I'm saying.

What's the offensive difference between the Bears game and these last two games? Aaron Rodgers.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:26 pm

In this game Rodgers had players open and missed them. He had Cobb on the big play down the sidelines and overthrew him. He had Adams for a first down and missed him. He was behind Cobb on another pass.
Whatever the reason he isn't throwing with the accuracy he has in the past.

Justin Ritzel's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:10 pm

There was a couple times Rodgers literally had a second before a Carolina defender was in his face. Now while I dont totally disagree that Rodgers should take chances a little more, I dont know what else you could've expected today – Rodgers was running for his life all afternoon.

November 08, 2015 at 05:18 pm

@Justin

I'm not faulting Rodgers for plays like that. Of course he can't do much when he has no time. But you can't say there weren't time where he had time and a pocket and made nothing happen.

"There was a couple times Rodgers literally had a second before a Carolina defender was in his face."

Keyword : couple

November 08, 2015 at 05:31 pm

With regard to Dix, I remember a play where Daniels made a fine play and was tackling Tolbert in the backfield, but Tolbert (5´9¨ 250 lbs) is hard to bring down. No one swarmed to the ball, and Tolbert was able to lunge forward and minimize the loss before going down. I saw Dix jogging forward - had he swarmed to the ball, Tolbert would have been down 2 yards sooner. I guess he thought Daniels had Tolbert down and let up.

November 08, 2015 at 05:40 pm

That's been going on for a while. I don't want to say the entire defense does that, but for sure the majority of it does. I hope Daniels (or Clay) is the type of leader to check that behind closed doors, but that has to stop.

Just think back to the Seahawks game. Players were flying to the ball. You rarely seen a 1-on-1 tackle on a running play.

BELIEVER's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:16 pm

He had no time the whole game!

Mojo's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:43 pm

Buluga is catching some heat, but if ARod hadn't gotten happy feet on the fourth and four play, it would have been a touchdown. Rodgers almost immediately after the snap starting moving laterally when he didn't have to. If he stands his ground it's an easy toss to Cobb and they're lining up for the two point conversion.

November 08, 2015 at 05:52 pm

I wonder if Rodgers slammed the tablet because he got happy feet prematurely PLUS he found out Cobb was wide open.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that desperate pass was not intended for Cobb, right??

Packer_Pete's picture

November 08, 2015 at 07:57 pm

that's right, the target of that pass was Jones

November 08, 2015 at 09:37 pm

So, Rodgers was quoted saying "I had the easy opportunity for a pitch-and-catch touchdown but I got scared by something. I can't explain it." about the final play.

That pretty much confirms what I saw and why he gave the reaction he gave on the sideline. BINGO!

November 08, 2015 at 06:21 pm

"Lacy should be reduced to goal line and closer duty."

I personally believe Lacy shouldn't even be activated next week, and I certainly don't want to seem him on the goal line.

His ball security is a big time issue at this point, especially considering how relatively few touches he's had.

I think it's time for accountability, if only to prove a point. Sit Lacy's ass next week, let Starks handle the lion's share of the carries (he's earned it with superior play anyways), and activate Alonzo Harris and let the young buck take any auxiliary snaps.

In fact, pull some college shit with Lacy. Make him carry a football 24-7 for the next 13 days, and instruct EVERYONE on the Packers payroll to attempt to strip the ball from Eddy when they see him on the practice field, in the locker room, in the hallways, or at the local Red Lobster.

13 days could really send a message.

NickPerry's picture

November 09, 2015 at 06:41 am

I like that Oppy. Keep him inactive next week, carry a ball around, and eat NOTHING but fish, chicken, and greens for the next few weeks. In other words, get down to 230!

Icebowler's picture

November 08, 2015 at 11:02 pm

I'll bet Olivia is somehow messing with his head.

Packer_Pete's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:34 pm

Here are my thoughts:
* This team is lucky to be 6-2. They will have to be lucky to play to 4-4 with the remaining schedule.
* The OL is bad. Just plain bad.
* No matter what, the O tries to just hit the long play over and over again. Until they had to go to quick and short throws and screens in the 4th Q.
* Sometimes one wonders whether they actually want to win. Or want to win only if they can win the way they want to win...
* Yes D was bad. At the same time, it must be horrendous to get a stop, come to the sideline, and have to go back in a couple of minutes later because the O just had another 3&out...
* The last 2 weeks I heard that Carolina had no passing attack and no good WRs. Actually, I'd rather have Carolinas WR than the Packers WR at this point.
* I posted a couple weeks ago that I believed the Packers would be 6-2 at this point, and that the 2 games were the first real tests this year. And that's how it went. The Packers will lose against good teams. Who have they played this year before the last couple of games? No good team. Period.
* Even if they win the NFC North, they'll be one-and-done. But I actually doubt they'll win the NFC North. They'll go 4-4 for the rest of the schedule at best. Vikings will also go 4-4 but will get the tie breaker.
* It will still be enough to make the playoffs.
* I don't think the Packers coaches are up to the task. Sorry, but to see those guys just standing on the side line with blank looks on their faces is disheartening when other teams constantly COACH during a game.

gbpackerowner's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:42 pm

Hit the nail on the head... They are who they are... The soft underbelly has been exposed. And it all comes down to vanilla coaching... Let's see what the excuses are this week

November 08, 2015 at 05:38 pm

The offensive line has talent. It should have cohesiveness having played 26 games together (roughly). I cannot explain what the problem is. Today, Sitton let a rusher go on what he thought was a stunt. Kuhn whiffed on blitz pick up (uncharacteristic for him). Linsley let a guy run free. Bulaga and Bakh had some trouble again, especially on bull rushes. It may be that some of these guys are more banged up than we know. None of these guys are old. Linemen play at high levels into at least their early thirties. I expect that the line will improve their pass pro by a lot, and their run blocking somewhat.

marpag1's picture

November 09, 2015 at 06:45 am

That's the thing for me too. I just can't explain how the O-line has been sucking so bad. It makes no sense and yet I can't deny that, yep, they are indeed sucking....

I though the O-line was the biggest problem in Denver too, not receivers failing to get open etc.

porupack's picture

November 09, 2015 at 12:00 am

I agree packer-Pete; I see 2 losses to Minne, loss v cowboys and cardinals. But I'm not confident that they'll beat Detro in Michigan, nor Oakland. I know I'll get roasted for that when everyone says bah, Detro is washed-up, that Stafford/Megatron team, but see, they said that about Manning, Newton and their no-WRs worth fearing.

My prediction at beginning of year was 10-6. But now I'd say 9-7.

November 09, 2015 at 07:43 am

6-2 the remainder of the season, losses Dec. 20 @Oakland and Dec. 27 @Arizona.

The Vikings could easily lose their next 5 in a row. Teddy is concussed, and they are offensively challenged to begin with: The Vikings remaining schedule in order:

@Oakland - L
Green Bay - L
@Atlanta - L
Seattle - L
@Arizona (short week) - L
Chicago - W
Giants - W
@Green Bay - L

Looks like 2-6 for the norsemen to me.

GVPacker's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:36 pm

Cam Newton is Amazing! He can throw 50 yard Bombs with Pin Point Accuracy and then miss an open receiver 10 yards away, He really is Stuper-Man!

Mojo's picture

November 08, 2015 at 05:49 pm

He does what a lot of QB's should do on the long balls, that is throw it far and with a lot of air under the ball. It gives the receiver a chance while basically shutting out the CB from intercepting since he would have to go through the receiver.

Newton was good on the slants and deep balls, but horrible on nearly everything else. That team is not going to go far in the playoffs. It might not seem like it right now, but this could be a good opponent for the Pack later on.

November 08, 2015 at 05:56 pm

I heartily agree. I think GB wins a rematch and probably easily.

Lphill's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:37 pm

1 let Aaron call all plays
2. Dom Capers must retire.
3.shame on Ted Thompson for not drafting a inside linebacker or bring in some veteran help.
4. Richard Rodgers is not an NFL player
5. This is a 10 win team, nothing more .

Packer_Pete's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:43 pm

"let Aaron call all plays" - really? I think he is the main force behind the 'hold the ball for 12 seconds to hit the long play' thinking...

November 08, 2015 at 04:44 pm

1.Offensive play calling is not the problem.
2.Dom is not the problem
3.He did draft an inside linebacker
4.Because he had a bad game? Take away that first TD of his and imagine how the game could have turned out.
5.Well, the last time they won te....never mind.

EdsLaces's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:50 pm

The guy with two tds m..yeah he sucks.

November 08, 2015 at 04:52 pm

Right?

Did he not bail Rodgers out on that 1st one?

EdsLaces's picture

November 09, 2015 at 07:04 am

Yep. I don't understand the RR hate. HD has at least 4 or 5 tds that I remember this year. Yeah he's not fast or an amazing blocker but by God he gets open in the freakin red zone. I don't see cobb or jones or davante doin crap in the endzone. People want to talk bad about RR well guess what without his big slow @$$ we are 5-3 or 4-4.

porupack's picture

November 09, 2015 at 12:05 am

I agree Lphill;
At beginning of season, I thought it was a 10-6 team, but I revise to 9-7.
The lack of ILB (except for the patchwork solution of CMIII) and TE were so obvious before the draft, I was sure that those were the 2 positions to go get FAs, AND address in the draft.
I am now convinced Capers has to go. I believe he should be fired mid-season. Period. That means before Detro game next week.

NickPerry's picture

November 09, 2015 at 07:00 am

Unless TT is somewhat active in Free Agency this is going to be the Green Bay Packers, holes at enough positions where they get hammered by top teams in the NFL. Capers is no different than Slocum, McCarthy will keep waiting until he's hit in the head with a 2x4. You can't JUST draft and develop and fill ALL the holes, you'll never catch up. As soon as you have that position fixed you're leaking in 2 others.

Obviously to change eveything up at midseason isn't going to work and there's not a assistant I'd want leading the defense except maybe Joe Whitt. With that said if Capers isn't fired the last Sunday the Packers play, then the whole dame bunch needs to be fired. Murphy, Thompson, and McCarthy, because only FOOLS would continue to allow Capers coach.

I'd have Jim Schwartz on Speed Dial so I was the first to call. Buffalos defense last years was unreal. Ryan let Schwartz go and his defense is only ranked 17th, Schwartz was #4 last year.

jbromusic's picture

November 08, 2015 at 04:41 pm

LEAVE THE KITTENS ALONE AARON!!!!!!!

November 08, 2015 at 04:50 pm

disappointing? Yes, no doubt, absolutely.

Lets not forget they played quite possibly the 2 best Defenses. in a row, on the road, where it gives the Home D a huge advantage. It can't possibly get more difficult going forward.

Tough loss for sure, but it seemed they started to figure things out In the 2nd half and the D (gave the ball back to the Offense) mostly did its part.

chugwater's picture

November 08, 2015 at 06:23 pm

Was thinking that myself. Maybe wishful thinking, but hopefully the second half play revealed a wrinkle or two they can build on.

November 08, 2015 at 06:32 pm

Carolina has a good defense, but I don't think they're in any way in the talk of being one of the best defenses in the league.

They're definitely top 1/3 of the league, though.

November 08, 2015 at 07:26 pm

One of the 2 or 3 best DL. Keuchly and Davis at LB and one of the best CB in the NFL? I think that qualifies as one of the best Defenses in the NFL. Other than Denver they have as strong a case as anyone IMO.

November 08, 2015 at 07:24 pm

Carolina leads the league in INTs, and is number 4 in sacks, but other than that they fail to crack the top ten in total defense, pass defense, rush defense, etc and so forth, most of the statistics that people lean on for determining the overall stoutness of a defense.