By Aaron Nagler on Nov 28, 2013 with 196 Comments
- Today was embarrassing for pretty much everyone involved with the Green Bay Packers, but Mike McCarthy especially should feel ashamed for how his team performed today.
- The defense forced two turnovers early and the Packers got zero points out of them. If Morgan Burnett hadn’t picked up the fumble and run it in, I feel positive the Packers’ offense would only have gotten 3.
- Sam Shields gave Calvin Johnson tons of space, and that led to the completions on the slants, but he was asked to cover the best wide receiver in football without help way more than he should have been and I thought he acquitted himself well. Hell of an interception in the endzone.
- Even when Aaron Rodgers comes back, I have trouble seeing this team win another game.
- Marshall Newhouse should walk back to Green Bay.
- McCarthy was his usual stubborn self when it came to his play-calling. It was as if he was in an alternate universe.
- It doesn’t even matter when Rodgers comes back. This defense is not stopping anyone of consequence.
- To that end, it’s not like Rodgers can run block or pass protect.
- Matt Flynn locked in on Nelson way, way too much early on. Later on it didn’t matter because it was a jailbreak on every pass play.
- McCarthy called two screens on the first drive, which was more than he’d called in the last three games combined. Then promptly didn’t call another one while it mattered.
- The Atlanta Falcons are bad. The Packers are almost as bad. Rodgers plays? Doesn’t play? Who cares. Going to be the Battle of the Invalids.
- Let me make one thing clear. Yes, I’m depressed. I’m upset. This Packers team sucks…right now. There is still a very, very, very, very, very small chance this team gets Rodgers back, finds a way to move the ball, put points on the board and extend this sudden fountain of turnovers for the next month leading to a string of four victories, all while the Lions lose twice to teams they’ll be favored over. Yep, there’s a chance.
- Realistically? Time to get ready for the draft.
Filed Under: Featured • Gut Reactions