The Wrap Up: What the Sammy Watkins signing means for the Packers

Monte looks ahead to what the Watkins signing might mean for Green Bay's plans both during the draft and any further possible free agent signings.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 14, 2022 at 05:41 pm

Sammy's signing provides 'some' flexibility is all at draft time. With Sammy they may be able to take a higher rated player at another position at 22 and maybe even 28 depending how draft unfolds. Sammy and Cobb could not cobble 8 consecutive healthy games. Packers ideally still need to draft three WR's with talent and speed. Good thing is that shouldn't be a problem with the WR talent and depth in this draft.

murf7777's picture

April 14, 2022 at 08:11 pm

I suspect we might see another FA signing and only one WR taken in the first five picks. There is so many good EDGE and OL available I think that is where they go. Maybe safety as well in the early picks. Maybe later we willl see more WR signing especially if they do ST’s.

FortMyersPackerFan's picture

April 14, 2022 at 08:32 pm

Having written about Sammy Watkins at South Fort Myers High and then at Clemson as a sports writer, I'm excited about his potential with the Packers. He's a hard worker who has caught a few bad breaks when it comes to injuries. When healthy, he's not only a difference maker but he's a willing decoy. Sammy not only is fast but he's physical. Aaron Rodgers and he will connect. Sammy's not a big talker but he will give his opinion on occasion. I remember in the Orange Bowl, he kept getting short passes thrown his way and he kept getting hammered but he kept coming back. He also played a major role in KC winning the Super Bowl. I think he could do for the offense what De'Vondre Campbell - another Fort Myers prep star - did for Green Bay's defense. This could be a lot of fun.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 14, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Hope u are right but Sammy is just a stop gap band-aid. Gutey needs to draft smart and bring I believe 3 more WRs. A Pickens, Watson, or Burks, maybe even Pierce, and then a couple more of the slot type WR's with great hands.

There are so many draft needs! Is this truly an all in year or is the team still building for 2023?

LLCHESTY's picture

April 15, 2022 at 01:13 am

I doubt they draft three anymore unless the 3rd one is a 7th round flyer. I don't see them cutting any of those top 4 vets or keeping more than 6 on the roster.

Johnblood27's picture

April 15, 2022 at 07:33 am

you are getting it Chesty.

The roster can only hold so many WR and drafting 3 would pretty much mean that 1 or more would be practice squad guys or releases. The GBP veterans are not that bad and now there are 3 - Cobb, Lazard and Watkins.

Unless all 3 draftees are noticeably better than the 3 vets mentioned the odd man out would be a completely wasted draft pick.

Why do that?

Coldworld's picture

April 15, 2022 at 10:04 am

I think it depends on how all in they are this year. If we have to hit on 2 receivers the historic odds for first rounders are about 1 in 2 of being a bust. Do we view it as picking to increase the odds of hitting on one?

As it happens, I personally doubt that we draft more than one in round one, absent a major run. It’s a hard draft to predict I think, but I suspect there will be value in rounds 3 to 5 if we have already got one we like. In which case I think we could see 3 or 4 picked overall, especially if one is intended to be our primary returner.

Johnblood27's picture

April 15, 2022 at 11:46 am

I am hoping for a mid-late draft pick to be for a return specialist.

I do not care what position he may play, although the majority of those at the collegiate level are WR...

Hard to put a return specialist on the game day 46 with 3 roles already carved out - K, P, LS. I would like to see a LS that can also play IOL as a gameday roster player and lets use one of the 3 specialist designations for a returner even if he is a 6th or 7th WR on that list.

The CBA and practice time is just a POS when it becomes apparent that limitations on time to put together the most competent roster become a factor. Hiring more coaches is not the answer, GB has an extremely large coaching staff, perhaps the most coaches per team in the league ( I know they used to have that title but Im too lazy to check right now).

If having the time to adequately train and drive repetitions to allow a positional player to assume the role of one of the specialists is the bottleneck, then a mechanism needs to be adopted that allows that time to be taken.

If the game has gotten so complex that specialists need the same or more training and coaching as position players, then both the league (Owners-Teams) and Players (Union) should agree that more time needs to be carved out to allow this to happen.

Barnacle's picture

April 15, 2022 at 05:46 am

I hope our diva QB will find a few minutes to practice. For $50,000,000 per year($1,000,000 per week) I thought maybe he could show up for all team activities.

Diva AR may be a great QB, but also may be a jerk?

Johnblood27's picture

April 15, 2022 at 07:34 am

There is no "may be" about it...

calabasa's picture

April 15, 2022 at 08:51 am

He’s going to Switzerland instead, apparently to look at watches. Hm.

jhtobias's picture

April 15, 2022 at 12:51 pm

Thankfully fans don't run the team . If jordan davis falls to 22 and olave is there you take davis thankfully gutey will agree.

No reason to invest 2 wr with 2 top picks . Defensive studs will have instant impact .

Kind of hope they don't get a wr till the 3rd round so watch man will have to earn his money