The Packers Draft Room - Top 10 Running Backs

Joseph Randolph and Brian Maafi continue their NFL Draft series with a look at the top running backs in the 2024 draft.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

golfpacker1's picture

February 19, 2024 at 12:26 pm

I feel like a kid in a candy store. You young Packers fans probably won't know what that is. Some posters have said the 2024 RB group is weak. I disagree completely and I think we are perfectly positioned to take advantage of it because most of the RBs we will be interested in will go after round 2. Perfect for GB because rounds 1 and 2 are for CB, Safety, and O-line. And all are complete RBs.

I am not a big fan of the supposed Top 3, Brooks, Benson, or Corum. Maybe 1 or 2 of them goes in the 2nd round, maybe not. Brooks is coming off major knee surgery so he could fall and be a steal in the 4th round if he is healthy. Benson had a really bad knee injury several years ago tearing 3 ligaments. But seems healthy now. Corum also tore his ACL and has a lot of miles on him to boot..

The group after the 2nd round is huge and talented. Bigger RBs, Braelon Allen, Audric Estime, Dillon Johnson would fill the power back role and are fast too. Really filling both roles.

The Aaron Jones group, as I like to call them, are: Bucky Irving, Marshawn Lloyd, Jaylen Wright, Ray Davis, Will Shipley. Dillon Johnson could be in this group too

Later attractive options are: Isaiah Davis, Cody Schrader, Rasheen Ali, Frank Gore, George Holani, Blake Watson, and my favorite "Sleeper RB" is Issac Guerendo- Louisville.

The Candy Store is open. Lets get 2 or 3.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

February 19, 2024 at 01:36 pm

I think the “weak RB class” comes from people who are only interested in the first round picks.

This year’s RBs are a fun group.

golfpacker1's picture

February 19, 2024 at 03:19 pm

Yeah PackEyed. No RBs this year are close to 1st rounders, maybe not even until late 2nd. Great for us. Who is your favorite and your sleeper?

PackEyedOptimist's picture

February 19, 2024 at 07:37 pm

I like Benson and Davis the most, but the sleepers are numerous in this draft.

dblbogey's picture

February 19, 2024 at 11:33 pm

I'd like the idea of drafting two, maybe one as early as the 3rd round.

Leatherhead's picture

February 19, 2024 at 01:20 pm

If a guy plays an entire season after an injury, and the doctors give him a clean bill of health, it isn't going to affect his status that much. Everybody gets injured in this game.

Given that the RB gets the ball half the time, and given that Jones does miss time with injuries, I think it's really important to get a premium RB in this draft, and maybe another on Day 3. This guy, who we could probably take at #58, would immediately become about half our offense if Jones couldn't play.

I like Owens, and Brooks. I think either one of these guys could step right in and be a 20 touches a game guy.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

February 19, 2024 at 01:28 pm

Owens?

golfpacker1's picture

February 19, 2024 at 02:31 pm

The mock drafts are a blast, and since I am retired, I probably do 20 per day and sometimes with trades I end up with 18-20 picks. I know that is impossible, but it's fun to dream. I even used to make a chart of my picks along with the players they could replace and list the money we would save. The draft class $$ was huge but the savings tripled it.

Also, a reality about the draft is that we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. Unless we trade back from #25 that won't change. We also only have one pick @ #58.

My point is while it's great to make suggestions of who to pick. like every year, in 2024 we have so many needs and only so many picks of which S, CB, and O-line are the top 3 in some order.
RB is not a top 3 need, which is why I usually wait to select one until #88 or #91 depending on if a top LB is still there.

There is such a good group of solid, ball catching, elusive, power backs available around the time GB is picking, that I realize that's probably where we should get our first one. I am also going to factor in whether they have had serious knee injuries just like I would any player. Whether they are recovered or not doesn't matter. If you have a serious knee injury, that starts the clock ticking. Unfortunately, I am a victim of this injury, so I am familiar. I would pass.

I would choose from Braelon Allen, Estime, Irving, Lloyd, Wright, and Dillon Johnson in the 3rd. And then another later, Maybe the dude from Louisville, Guerendo.

JerseyAl's picture

February 20, 2024 at 11:58 am

20 per day???

jannes bjornson's picture

February 20, 2024 at 04:49 pm

LT has been a Primary need since 2020.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

February 19, 2024 at 01:34 pm

My favorite is still probably Ray Davis, despite being 25. I think an overaged RB is fine; you just figure on them being a one contract player.

golfpacker1's picture

February 19, 2024 at 02:43 pm

I actually commented before listening to the podcast. These 2 guys shouldn't do anymore of these. The commentator on the left waffles back and forth too much. The commentator on the right needs to gulp a 5 hour energy drink before he does one of these again. No energy and he mumbles a lot.

They also left too many RBs out.

JerseyAl's picture

February 20, 2024 at 12:01 pm

This is the first time doing something like this for both of them. Be nice and give them a chance.

LLCHESTY's picture

February 19, 2024 at 02:51 pm

A lot of these RBs can be weeded out just based on their very pedestrian receiving numbers. For example Corum averaged 7.3 yards a catch on 16 receptions while Lloyd averaged 17.8 YAC on 13 receptions. Which back fits what the Packers want do?

jannes bjornson's picture

February 20, 2024 at 01:50 pm

Irving, Dillon Johnson, Watson.

golfpacker1's picture

February 19, 2024 at 03:28 pm

Thats a good point LL. Lloyd had great numbers last year. Ray Davis catches the ball like the Ohio State WR. Dillon Johnson has had 200 catches in college and ran an actual route tree. He is top 3 for me. Bucky Irving looks natural catching the ball. They might not all be great blockers, but they do everything else well. This group, for the most part makes the first tackler miss a lot and get yards after first contact.

If I was choosing 2 today, probably Estime-Notre Dame and Dillon Johnson-Oregon. 2 well rounded backs who can run over you or make you miss. And they can both block. They would make a great pair in GB, but there are so many good ones that will be there @ #88 that I don't think we will be disappointed.

LLCHESTY's picture

February 19, 2024 at 04:02 pm

Johnson had a lot of catches but averaged about 6.5 yards a catch. I doubt the Packers will have much interest in him until late in the draft but he could slide because of the injury he had in the national championship game.

The day 2, early day 3 RBs that averaged 10 yards a catch or more are Brooks, Benson and Lloyd. If they pick one in that range my guess is it's one of those three.

golfpacker1's picture

February 19, 2024 at 07:41 pm

Maybe Johnson was supposed to just run swing passes @ Oregon. The point is he is good enough of a receiving RB that he caught 200 passes in 4 years. Thats a gift we could use.

By the way:
24 teams pick before us in round 3.
35 teams will pick after we pick @ #91 before our next pick @ #127

jannes bjornson's picture

February 20, 2024 at 04:52 pm

Johnson played at Washington after transferring from Texas A&M. He was there to move the chains. Tough guy , like Dorsey Levens. Bucky Irving is the fast, wide-zone RB from Oregon. lightening in a bottle.

lou's picture

February 19, 2024 at 06:06 pm

People forget that Ted Thompson picked Jammal Williams then Aaron Jones in rounds 4 & 5 the next GUY need not be a 1or 2 round pick.

PhantomII's picture

February 19, 2024 at 06:38 pm

I'm all for bringing Williams back this season. He has not been used much except by lions the 1 year.

dblbogey's picture

February 19, 2024 at 11:37 pm

As it turned out, we would have been better keeping Jamal and using that 2nd round pick on somebody besides Dillon. Dillon underachieved as a 2nd round RB, while Jamal was a really good back. I realize we really couldn't afford Jamal and Jones at the time but you can dream.

golfpacker1's picture

February 20, 2024 at 08:42 am

100% yes dblbogey. I am not sure how old Jamal is now, but he is coming off a very lackluster year with the Saints. I wonder why the Lions discarded him after the big TD year he had with them. If I remember correctly, he could catch well too.

Someone mentioned signing Zeke to be our power back.

Vachio's picture

February 20, 2024 at 08:42 am

I like Bucky Irvin, Jawhar Jordan, Dillon Johnson, and Dylan Laube. If we land one or two of those guys, I will be a happy camper.

golfpacker1's picture

February 20, 2024 at 08:47 am

GB wouldn't miss a beat if Bucky and Dillon were our 2 backs. And with no dropoff when either would be in the game.

I will have to look up Jordan as I am not familiar with him.

I am out on Laube as he looked really overmatched in the Senior Bowl. Like he was a level below the other players. He will have a niche because he catches so well.

The RB from Missouri looked ok in the Bowl. I shouldn't be so surprised because he ran for 1600 yards in the SEC last year.

Vachio's picture

February 20, 2024 at 09:32 am

Jordan is similar to Bucky but seems faster and a little better even at breaking tackles. Reminds me a little bit of Jones in that he's a little on the small side but he plays big.

golfpacker1's picture

February 20, 2024 at 02:25 pm

Tennessee had 3 good RBs last year. They had 27 players opt out of bowl game and transfers and still beat my Hawkeyes 35-0. And a freshman QB starting his first game. OUCH!!!

Alberta_Packer's picture

February 20, 2024 at 01:04 pm

This year's RB class is like an easter egg hunt - which for me starts in the 3rd round. My top RB is Trey Benson whom I given a lower 2nd - top 3rd round grade. Jonathon Brooks was no.1 for me but his acl injury is of concern. Also I have eliminated a number of RBs due to height, weight, hands, speed, age, injury, mileage and pass-pro limitations - leaving:
1. Trey Benson
2. Jaylen Wright
3. Isaac Gurendo
4. Rasheen Ali
5. Marshawn Lloyd

golfpacker1's picture

February 21, 2024 at 09:39 am

Ok, not sure I understand eliminating because of:
Height-the majority of the RBs are 5'9 to 5'11-only Braelon Allen is over 6'1

Weight- again most are 190 to 215 lbs Wright is under and Benson is over

Hands- one of the biggest strengths of this entire RB class is great hands. Dillon Johnson should make it on this alone with 200 college catches.

Speed- Again the vast majority of this class run low 4.4s to mid 4.5s

Age- should not be a consideration because of Running Back shelf life. 5 to 6 years

Injury-The #1 RB on your list easily has had the worst injury tearing 3 ligaments in his knee so how is he on the list. I guess Brooks is gone because of a lesser surgery.

Mileage-Corum gone yes, Allen gone-he just turned 20 years old in Jan., Ray Davis gone, 25 years old. Look at above RB shelf life. Mileage because of carries but not because of age.

Pass-Pro I will bet not many of the whole RB group have done much pass blocking. On your list Benson Guerendo and Lloyd are heavy enough. So would Braelon Allen, Dillon Johnson, Audric Estime and Bucky Irving is even bigger than Wright.