Shields Misses Second Day of Practice

If Sam Shields can't practice tomorrow, Jarrett Bush would most likely get the call at Nickel corner against the Bears on Sunday.

Cornerback Sam Shields was held out of a second consecutive practice today after the rookie felt a "strange pain" in his knee.

Mike McCarthy:

Sam Shields' injury, we really haven’t been through anything like this with Sam. I don’t have a very high concern level, just based on the communication with Sam and the medical staff. We’ll see how he goes through the treatment today, and he’ll be re-evaluated in the morning. He’ll potentially practice. He seems very positive about it.

It flared up on him I want to say in the weight room Monday or Tuesday, and he was the first player in Wednesday morning for treatment and evaluations. I think he’s going to be fine, to be honest with you. We’ll just play it day by day.

While all parties seem to be putting a happy face on this, if Shields is unable to practice tomorrow it would be very surprising to see him play on Sunday. If he is unable to go, Jarrett Bush would most likely move up from his position at Dime back to take over the Nickel role.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 30, 2010 at 04:18 pm

Bush is a 4 letter word. C'mon Sammy, get in the hyperbolic(hyperbaric??? whatevs, you get the point) chamber or something... please?

GBP 4 LIFE

cow42's picture

December 30, 2010 at 04:43 pm

no biggie.
do the bares even have 3 receivers?

take the week off, sam.
get healthy for maclin/jackson/avant

davyjones's picture

December 30, 2010 at 04:59 pm

Could be playin Possum?? Lovie won't tell us who he's playing so why should MM?

Even if Shields can't go...once again, NEXT MAN UP!! Bush will acquit himself quite nicely I think, just as the 5 or so ROLB's who have started this year. This is not the old Bush. I think we'll see a new Bush on Sunday and wouldn't a new Bush be welcome and refreshing??

I really do think he'll do just fine if called upon.

Nerd's laptop's picture

December 30, 2010 at 05:06 pm

Bush is a safety. I think we'll see Lee. Then again, they'll move Woody back to normal CB instead of CB/S and bring Bush in as a third S in the nickel. Who knows.
This can be treated easily, without even the need for medical marijuana. Simple qi and blood stagnation. Come see me, Sammy!

Oppy's picture

December 30, 2010 at 10:31 pm

it would be interesting to see if Shields can't make it if Josh Gordy would get some play time. I really doubt it due to his lack of experience, but he is the only guy who has anywhere near Shields' speed, and might be an option in covering Hester or Knox downfield.

File this under not-ever-going-to-happen.

Erik's picture

December 30, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Bush had played pretty well this year. If he gets the chance he will do a good job. Several time he had made smart plays on st.

thepretzelhead's picture

December 31, 2010 at 12:23 am

Thank God bloggers aren't making decisions. Bush is only 26-and looking like an NFL player. That happens with maturity-remember that - the 100+ vilifiers of this young man.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 31, 2010 at 01:45 am

I'm about the most forgiving Packer fan you will find. I will never hope someone reppin' the G&G fails, BUT, while he has played better of late; I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. He's shown a propensity for bonehead mistakes at the most inopportune times in the past. Hopefully all that's behind him, but I would feel much better if he doesn't take another snap as a DB. Ever. Just not big on Russian Roulette.

GBP 4 LIFE

Ruppert's picture

December 31, 2010 at 10:19 am

I'm with Fitz. Even if Bush is playing better now, his career highlights are bonehead moves (fall on the damn ball!) and/or bad luck. Has he EVER just been in the right place at the right time? Ever? I don't think so. The more he has to play defense, the worse our defense potentially gets. The only reason he has a job is because a late rounder/UFA hasn't stepped up well enough to kick him to the curb.

thepretzelhead's picture

December 31, 2010 at 11:02 am

Fall on the ball? He was 23. Kevin Boss, 27, just pulled that same thing last Sunday. It takes 45 to make gameday and they all can't be All-Pros. It's a sign of a good team and coaching that the critics are running out of material.

nerdmann's picture

December 31, 2010 at 11:02 am

Bush being coached up by Capers is not the same as Bush being coached up by Sanders.

Josh's picture

December 31, 2010 at 03:29 am

I'd put Bush in the Hawk category. Could be good, but tend to disappoint.