Report: Jared Cook Out Until Training Camp After Foot Surgery

ESPN reports the Packers biggest offseason acquisition will be shut down for the summer.

Demovsky has the goods:

Green Bay Packers tight end Jared Cook, the team's biggest offseason acquisition this year, underwent foot surgery this week and will miss the rest of the offseason program, multiple sources told ESPN.

Obviously, this is less than thrilling news. No word yet on exactly what kind of surgery was done, but it sounds like Cook should be back for training camp.

Hopefully Cook, and his career average of 12.8 yards per catch, can continue to get his nose in the playbook and isn't too far behind when the offense starts cooking in camp.

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

June 03, 2016 at 01:59 pm

Why does news like this turn me into a fatalist? He'll be better in a month. 100% by training camp. Won't miss a beat, right? Or maybe...the season is doomed and the injuries begin.

I prefer to believe the glass is half full. Unfortunately it is half full with body parts that have been surgically removed from our key players.

Packer_Pete's picture

June 03, 2016 at 02:20 pm

"The Packers hope that Cook will be back for training camp next month. The surgery was described as "preventative" and something that both Cook and the team wanted to take care of now so that it didn't linger into the regular season."

Ok - they "hope"... well I had hoped he'd be able to practice now...

And, if the surgery was "preventative", why wasn't it done earlier than now??

I fear the worst...

Tarynfor12's picture

June 03, 2016 at 02:27 pm

So he has done nothing since being signed other than OTA's where he was boasted of size and now he needs surgery on his foot. Regardless of how minor this may be, surely it could have been done much sooner or was this hidden and somewhat a more significant repair which then offers reason to his low cost in FA and why others passed on him...a chance that becomes the McCarthy speak of the injury is always worse than said as past has shown.

marpag1's picture

June 04, 2016 at 03:50 am

...bawk, bawk.... "THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FAAAAAAALLLLLLIIINNNGGG.... bawk, bawk....

The TKstinator's picture

June 04, 2016 at 11:47 am

"where he was boasted of size"?

holmesmd's picture

June 04, 2016 at 05:45 pm

Lol;)

The TKstinator's picture

June 03, 2016 at 02:42 pm

Better now than later.

Finwiz's picture

June 03, 2016 at 02:57 pm

Great - just great. Same thing every year. Key players with injuries that nag for longer than expected. I predict he's back playing by game 7. Place your bets.

croatpackfan's picture

June 04, 2016 at 06:22 am

Wow. He does not know playbook yet and he is already key player? Interesting. We did not see him yet on the field with team and he is key player. More I think about that I'm more and more stunned how Packers were able to achieve 7 postseasons in the row without Jared Cook - Packers key player!

Finwiz's picture

June 04, 2016 at 08:21 pm

Yeah genius, because they gave up on Quarless and all they have left is 5.0 flat/40, 275 lb Rodgers. I'd say he's pretty key to opening up the middle of the field and getting isolated on a slower backer or safety, something they could NOT do last year. Any other concepts of proficient offensive football you need help with, let me know. Always here to help the technically deficient fans! Love - Fin

croatpackfan's picture

June 05, 2016 at 04:50 am

Oh, I see. Now I'm genious. But still I have to say it is odd to see Packers released Andrew Q, who was the key player in their run to SB and to NFCCG against Seahawks. I think that in the last game (NFCCG) more impact was produced from Bostick, than from Quarless... But what I know. I'm just "geniuos"...
And what if Cook show to be bust or at least not what all of you expects from him? Should Packers stop fighting, because their key player is not what we thought he is?
I believe, truly believe football is team's game and lack of one position can be covered by excellence on the other position. But, I might be wrong...

marpag1's picture

June 05, 2016 at 05:46 am

Richard Rodgers is not a "5.0 flat" 40-yard dash guy, and he does not weigh "275 lb." He ran 4.87 at the combine and his listed weight is 257.

Just curious.... why did you stupidly quote such obviously incorrect information, and then have the balls to be a complete asshole about it? Seems odd coming from a fountain of football knowledge like you. LOL.

Try not to be stupider than the people you criticize.

Finwiz's picture

June 05, 2016 at 09:54 am

I'm sorry, I touched a nerve with you. Here's a news flash @marpag1....the combine was what, 3 years ago for Richard Rodgers? If he ran a 4.87 then, he's clearly running a 5.0 flat now, when it's obvious to ANY observant fan that he couldn't separate from ANY defender last year. I'd put him in a race against Baktiari or Sitton and it would be close. I'm sure Lacy ran a 4.6 or so at the combine too, but that was before he ballooned up to 265 lbs. As for weight - he's no slender, in shape dude if you look at him. I go by what I see. If he weighed 257 at the combine, which again was 3+ years ago for him, I'd say it's likely he's 15-20 lbs higher than that weight. Since they don't publish the weights, once again, I'll just go by what I see with my own eyes. Pull out the film from last year and get back to me when you find ONE time Rodgers ran away from any defender, linebacker, safety or corner. I'll be here on the side waiting. In my not very humble opinion, Cook is a very key component of the Packers scheme in this upcoming season. They will be looking to do similar things with him they did with Finley. I just hope he can limit the drops. Always here to help when you need a little football "pick-me-up"...Love Fin

marpag1's picture

June 05, 2016 at 01:11 pm

It always cracks me up when some of the most disreputable posters pompously announce that they "judge with their eyes" (as if other people did something different) and then assume that this will surely answer every objection. LOL. Oh my... had I known that you were one of those godlike "eye judgers" I would never have questioned your wisdom!

Sorry, superhero, but no human being is able to accurately judge a 40 yard dash time down to the tenth of a second by "judging with his eyes." That's just stupid. People design stopwatches specifically because you are not able to do it with your eyes. And they design laser timing systems because even the stopwatches aren't accurate enough. So forgive me if your "eye test" doesn't impress me.

And if you honestly expect any reasonable person to believe that you, sitting on your couch or in the stands and watching live game action, are able to see a player and then to extrapolate how fast that player would run if he had been running a 40 yard dash (which he wasn't when you saw him), then you're beyond dumb.

If you think that gaining separation involves nothing more than raw, straight-line speed, then you don't know anything about NFL receivers.

If you honestly think that Richard Rodgers "couldn't separate from ANY defender last year," I wonder how you will explain that he caught 65 balls last year while never gaining any separation from anyone.

If you honestly think that a professional athlete will lose significant amounts of speed by age twenty-four, you obviously have not yet reached age twenty-four.

If you think that surely RR must have added a lot of weight because he has now spent three years in one of the most intense and grueling sports-leagues on the planet, maybe you didn't know that he actually weighed more in his earlier college days and has lost significant weight since then.

So maybe you do judge with your eyes - who knows? - but there is very little question that you talk from your butt.

marpag1's picture

June 05, 2016 at 02:42 pm

All of this yammering isn't going to make pigs fly out of your butt either, but fortunately no one was expecting either of those two things to happen.
C.
O.
W.

marpag1's picture

June 05, 2016 at 02:43 pm

Wait.... on second thought, pigs probably will fly out of your butt.

Never mind.

croatpackfan's picture

June 06, 2016 at 06:02 am

Thank you for this ("Try not to be stupider than the people you criticize.") - about stupid - remark! ;-)

Tundraboy's picture

June 05, 2016 at 03:03 pm

Very Key Acquisition

chaka's picture

June 03, 2016 at 03:28 pm

Packers should re-sign former TE Colt Lyerla so they will then have a decent TE in camp.

marpag1's picture

June 04, 2016 at 03:54 am

Thanks, Colt. We've got your number. We'll call you if we need you.

Packer_Pete's picture

June 04, 2016 at 07:20 am

you need to edit your one sentence you copy and paste ever now and then. you could've written that before the camp where he actually was invited. and showed - wait for it - wait for it - zero, zilch, nothing, nichts, rien, nada, ... need i say more?

ray nichkee's picture

June 04, 2016 at 08:31 am

The hole team would play like lightning if they were jacked up on coke, unfortunately they get drug tested.

Big Moe's picture

June 04, 2016 at 09:31 am

Who????

Handsback's picture

June 03, 2016 at 03:46 pm

I agree that Green Bay should re-sign Colt Lyerla.......we should transplant his foot to Cook and make Cook 100% again.

Tundraboy's picture

June 03, 2016 at 04:52 pm

You have got to be kidding. Can we ever catch a break. Aaargh. Tired of good news (his signing) followed by.....

ray nichkee's picture

June 04, 2016 at 08:29 am

The man of 10,000 dislikes.

Nick Perry's picture

June 04, 2016 at 04:11 pm

"The man of 10,000 dislikes".....That was a GOOD one Nichkee!!!

The TKstinator's picture

June 04, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I thought that was MN's state motto.

June 05, 2016 at 12:10 am

Well played, TK.

Curry Rambeau's picture

June 05, 2016 at 07:26 pm

The gentleman who often tells CowReborn to "fuck off", but is obsessed by his posts. Interesting.

Finwiz's picture

June 05, 2016 at 09:46 am

You are right - the Packers have a crazy amount of injuries every single year. They should try ANOTHER trainer and maybe change their scouting evaluation as well - get some tougher players.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

June 03, 2016 at 07:04 pm

Good chance this is just bone spurs and no big deal.

Tundraboy's picture

June 03, 2016 at 10:37 pm

I hope that is the case. That would be the most benign of situations.

Nick Perry's picture

June 04, 2016 at 04:19 pm

I'm no doctor but if his recovery time is just a few weeks I'd think it's pretty simple. I'm sure they knew about it before the signing and let him get a little time with his new teammates before taking care of it.

CowREBORN, ben, nothing to see here. Go troll at another site.

Big Moe's picture

June 04, 2016 at 09:38 am

That's what I'm hoping for, I've had that surgery myself, very quick turn around I was back to normal under a month. I'd just watched Cook's career highlights on the you tube, love the potential here, because none of the guys throwing him the ball in that video were named Aaron Rodgers, hate to use that "P" word here, but Damn huge potential! with number 12 slinging the pigskin. Go Pack!!!

June 04, 2016 at 11:30 am

I've read that Cook could be ready by June 14, but GB is dealing with this conservatively and won't press him to return until July 21. We'll see.

guzzi2000's picture

June 04, 2016 at 11:43 am

Where did you read about the time frame for recovery and did it say what they were attempting to prevent with the surgery?

jeremyjjbrown's picture

June 05, 2016 at 12:20 am

well, if he could be back in just a few weeks then bones spurs is about the only possibility.

guzzi2000's picture

June 04, 2016 at 11:38 am

I also had foot surgery. I was lucky and was back to running within the minimum 3 weeks prescribed for recovery. However, I was not a pro TE that weighed 235 pounds and required to perform at a elite level. The question I have is the timing of the surgery. In most cases the surgery is performed to correct an existing problem or injury and the problem has existed for an extended period of time. Like other posters I want to be optimistic that Jared will be ready for the season opener, I still have to wonder why they waited to now to do it?

The TKstinator's picture

June 04, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I never had foot surgery, but I know a guy whose uncle's cousin did and afterwards he was running the 40 like 3 tenths of a second faster than before.
Then he was parked with his girlfriend and they heard a report on the radio about an escaped dangerous criminal so they left immediately and he drove her home. When he walked around to her side of the car to let her out, hanging from her door handle was a bloody foot!

DrealynWilliams's picture

June 05, 2016 at 06:17 pm

Lol, I hate you.

DrealynWilliams's picture

June 06, 2016 at 12:30 am

As I'm reading the first 4 and a half lines or so I'm thinking,

Okay, he's going to be informative.
Ha, there goes a little joke.
Alright, where is this going...
*skipped to ending*
Wait, what???

Ahhh! THIS GUY! Lol

The TKstinator's picture

June 06, 2016 at 07:36 am

Ha! And I changed the classic "bloody hook" to a "bloody foot" too!

Since'61's picture

June 05, 2016 at 03:52 pm

Sounds like Cook is off to a flying stop! Hopefully he is ready for TC. Thanks, Since '61

Teflon Ted's picture

June 06, 2016 at 01:44 am

This is just routine maintenance people. Nothing to worry about. Ted would not sign a man if he didn't think he would be able to contribute right away. Ted is a master planner and has big things in store for Mr. Cook. He'll be up and at em' in no time. I am really excited about Cook and can't wait to see him on the field later this season once he's finally healthy!! He's the missing piece!! We are officially set!!

The TKstinator's picture

June 06, 2016 at 03:05 pm

Guess who's back...back again...