Railbird Central Podcast: The Clay Matthews Question

Did the Packers make a mistake moving Clay Matthews to inside linebacker? A former Packers defender shares his thoughts.

Episode 646

On today's show we feature an interview with former Green Bay Packers linebacker and current Fox Sports analyst Brady Poppinga, who shares an outspoken opinion regarding the role Clay Matthews plays in the Green Bay defense. You won't want to miss it. After that, we get into the recently announced Packers Tailgate Tour.

Enjoy...

Listen in...

Streaming audio - Press play

Download Versions: Download Audio Podcast

Free Subscription Option

al bundy's picture

March 30, 2016 at 12:05 pm

When I heard they made the move I was estatic. I also thought he reminded me of Urlacher and thought his talents were wasted on the pass rush. He had one real good year as a pass rusher when Jenkins was on the other side chasing the 1b into his arms. Other than that nothing to brag about.
The problem with the packers is again DUM capers. You give the guy a new position coach him up, let him learn and go from there.
They kept moving him back to the end. Mike the moron couldn't live without Mathews outside so it was a battle and poor Clay was in the middle.
So any talk of him not performing well in the middle may be due to two guys trying to make a wish and Mathews was the wishbone.

GRB1531's picture

March 31, 2016 at 10:05 am

I'm on your side. If you go back to the last time he started at olb, you will find that he had 14 tackles in the first 8 games. Teams seem to have a method of preventing Mathews from getting to the QB. His sack count had gone down after the first few years.

Lphill's picture

March 30, 2016 at 04:10 pm

His strength is outside linebacker that's where he belongs period.

Tarynfor12's picture

March 30, 2016 at 04:29 pm

Matthews plays to equal grade whether inside or outside. The issue is the hole in whichever position he isn't playing in a whole game status. The tool for the use of Matthews is moving him and another true outside linebacker will allow that more than an inside linebacker will but both need to be drafted.

March 30, 2016 at 08:23 pm

I disagree. CM3 is an almost average ILB. I certainly hope he is a better OLB, though I have wondered if his days of being an elite OLB are over and now he is a red chipper. Still, he should be our best OLB either way.

holmesmd's picture

March 30, 2016 at 09:47 pm

He over rubs plays outside as I recall which used to drive me nuts! I personally liked him inside as much as I liked him outside. Just my take.

March 31, 2016 at 06:08 pm

TBH, I thought he overran plays and failed to maintain gap discipline while at ILB. I thought he would get better after playing 8 games at ILB in 2014, but he did the same thing in 2015. I think he is just a very aggressive player (or possibly he was trying to make up for the shortcomings of Palmer). He had the same issues as an OLB. As an OLB he was getting engulfed and started using his speed to go around OTs, thus going upfield, which opened running lanes for QBs, and our ILBs could not compensate to shut those lanes down or limit the gain. Perry´s bull rush might be boring but it maintains gap discipline.

WinUSA's picture

April 01, 2016 at 02:41 am

Totally agree TGR!

TommyG's picture

March 30, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I think some are forgetting how often CMIII would over-pursue, lose the edge, or have an OL ole him 10-15 yards behind the play. I really do not want to watch the newtons, kaeps, and wilsons of the league run all over that side of the field. Keep him inside and find another OLB.

RCPackerFan's picture

March 31, 2016 at 11:41 am

I personally feel that Mathews needs to be moved around. I keep going back to that first game where he was 'moved to ILB' against Chicago. He technically was an ILB but he wasn't used like one. He was moved everywhere, blitzed from everywhere.

To me the biggest mistake Capers made was forcing Mathews to be a traditional ILB. Mathews needs to play in a specialized role that allows him to move everywhere.

I don't think Mathews should be labeled as an ILB or OLB. Let him roam around creating confusion and havoc on offenses.

marpag1's picture

April 03, 2016 at 10:30 am

He's an OLB. In my opinion, that's just a slam dunk.