Peter King and Greg Bedard Throw Stuff At Wall

Both NFL writers recentley released their mock drafts. See who they think the Packers will/should take.

My sometimes-colleagues over at Sports Illustrated, Peter King and Greg Bedard, have both released their mock drafts. King guesses who teams will take, Bedard lists who he thinks teams should take

King has the Packers taking Miami's Denzel Perryman. He writes:

The Pack really needs a corner, and Jalen Collins or Byron Jones, if still on the board here, would be logical picks. But there’s been a buzz about Perryman among the Green Bay braintrust since the combine. He’s too small, at 5-10 ½, to go much higher than this, and maybe to go in the first round at all. But when I’ve brought his name up over the past couple of weeks to scouts and GMs, invariably the answer comes back that they love Perryman as an instinctive playmaker all over the field, not just between the tackles.

Bedard says Green Bay should select Carl Davis out of Iowa. His take:

This pick is purely because I’m sick of watching the smallish Packers get pushed around on the defensive interior, which exposes their inside linebackers even more. Davis is nearly 6-5 and 320 pounds, with huge hands and long arms. He dominated at the Senior Bowl after a lackluster career at Iowa. Turn defensive line coach Mike Trgovac loose on him and see what happens.

I gotta admit, I really like both selections but made to make a choice, I think I'd prefer Davis, for the reasons I laid out earlier. (And yes, the there’s been a buzz about Perryman among the Green Bay braintrust since the combine line is notable.)

I look forward to your calm and reasoned reactions in the comments below.

lmills's picture

April 28, 2015 at 10:37 am

even with his obvious limitations, I love Perryman. I think it might be a little early to grab him but would not be upset if they did. he's like Borland but with more power.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2015 at 11:23 am

I like Perryman. I think he will be a good player. I do think that the end of the 1st round might be to high for him.

Davis I do like as well. My concern with him is his inconsistency. That's why I think it will ultimately keep him out of the first round.

Ideally if those are 2 of their targets, if they could find a good enough deal to trade down into the top half of round 2 and pick up an extra pick, that would work out really well.. But that's easier said then done.

NickPerry's picture

April 30, 2015 at 05:15 am

Davis scares me for the reason you've brought up, not until the Senior Bowl did the guy become "Unblockable", where was his consistency this last year or two?
I like Perryman as well, just not teamed up with Barrington and taken at 30. I'd like to see Ted take Anthony or Kendricks myself. I believe ILB will start flying off the board at the top of the 2nd round so IF Ted does trade back hopefully it's not much further back than say the Jets pick in the second round.
One option I'd be in favor of if he's there is Eddie Goldman, not a bad pick at 30 at all. Then grab a guy corner in the second and a guy like Wilson from Georgia or Ryan of Michigan in the 3rd or 4th rounds at ILB.
The wild cards are Gregory and Ray. If one or both are available at 30 do you pass them up? Can you pass them up? I don't think I could, interesting choices possibly.....

TarynsEyes's picture

April 28, 2015 at 11:33 am

Taking Perryman in the 1st rd is agreeing to give two $10's for $5 and thinking strongly after realizing the dupe,you want to get even and accept getting back your $5 for two more $10's.

murphy's picture

April 28, 2015 at 01:07 pm

It was my understanding that there would be no math.

Evan's picture

April 28, 2015 at 11:54 am

I very much doubt Ray falls to the Packers (as King predicts) but if he does I'm not sure how you pass on him. Especially when you factor in Perry in his last year and Peppers' age.

Grab Ray, hope an ILB or CB falls to the 2nd and play CM3 more at ILB.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, I do think that if Ray or Gregory were there that they would probably take them.
They do have a less then obvious need for OLB. Peppers age, Perry and Neal likely in their last years of their deals. Mathews playing more ILB.

The only question I would have is, did they remove either from their draft boards based on the off field stuff?

EdsLaces's picture

April 28, 2015 at 08:58 pm

I think Ted does what he did last year ....listen to the fans. He knew we wanted a safety ...we got HaHa. This year he knows we want a MLB so....

Idiot Fan's picture

April 28, 2015 at 11:58 am

"there’s been a buzz about Perryman among the Green Bay braintrust since the combine"

I had always thought that GB was very tight lipped about who they liked. If there appears to be buzz about a player coming from GB, doesn't it almost seem more likely that they won't pick that player?

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2015 at 12:22 pm

yeah, it is kind of hard to believe everything that we are hearing right now.

qotsa1's picture

April 28, 2015 at 01:01 pm

I remember last year the Packers supposedly loved Cody Latimer, but he was available in the 2nd round and they went with Adams instead.

NewNikeShoes's picture

April 28, 2015 at 03:50 pm

GB is a smart team, at least from what I can see.
Smart teams in the NFL throw out smoke screens, and hopefully bait trades from other teams who believe they are saying the truth.
For example, if I was the bucs and really wanted vic beasley, i would throw out smoke screens saying I want winston. When draft day eventually comes, the bears, who want winston, may request a trade up as they believe we are getting winston. Instead, they get some dude we didn't want, and we get our Num 1 player.

lebowski's picture

April 28, 2015 at 01:51 pm

I too am sick and tired of watching the smallish Packer D line get pushed around exposing our smallish middle linebackers. Bring on Davis.

4thand1's picture

April 28, 2015 at 03:43 pm

They don't come any bigger than Pennel, wtf.

PackerAaron's picture

April 28, 2015 at 05:01 pm

Pennel barely played in the second half of the season, mostly because he wasn't very good when he did play in the first half of the season.

The TKstinator's picture

April 28, 2015 at 09:14 pm

However, he WAS large.

4thand1's picture

April 28, 2015 at 10:14 pm

My point Nags is, why waste a 1st round pick on a big guy with a lack luster career?

EdsLaces's picture

April 28, 2015 at 05:23 pm

If we couldn't get Anthony or Kendricks I think McKinney is a better fit for the packers over Perryman but...I could always be wrong. McKinney is more fluid and his measurables are insane.

4thand1's picture

April 28, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I don't know why, but my gut tells me McKenny will be a stud.

EdsLaces's picture

April 29, 2015 at 02:48 pm

I agree but the fact he has never had an int in college ...wtf?

April 29, 2015 at 03:12 am

Here is my first calm and reasoned comment: King is a loon (unless there is a run on ILBs in the first round and Kendricks, Anthony, Dawson, and Shaq have already been taken). King has Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, Jordan Phillips, D.J. Humprhries, Clemmings, Jalen Collins, Eric Rowe, Eddie Goldman and all of the ILBs available when GB picks. I like almost all of them better than Perryman. Here is my 2nd calm and reasoned comment: If TT takes Perryman at #30 with all of the above still on the board, Mark Murphy should check to see if there is a senility clause in TT's contract.

As for Carl Davis, I'd be disappointed if he were GB's pick at #30, but they could do worse. Davis has a chance to be very good. Though I like other players better, I didn't bother to see if they were there in Bedard's scenario.

There you have it. Calm and reasoned analysis.

RyanMedina's picture

July 17, 2020 at 12:46 pm

This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion. thank you.