#PackersDaily: What's the plan along the defensive line?

Aaron chats with Packers fans worldwide about all things Green and Gold, including the precarious depth along the defensive line.

Earlier today, I held my Packers chat over on our YouTube channel talking all things Green and Gold.

SimBull Monday's are brought to you by SimBull. Use promo code “cheese" for a $10 deposit bonus.

Be sure to subscribe to the channel if you'd like to participate in future chats.

You can also listen to the podcast here:

Find all of my daily podcasts here.

PF4L's picture

April 05, 2021 at 02:24 pm

I keeping reading the headlines of these articles and even occasionally peeking at it's contents and comments.

I keep drawing the same conclusion.

For a team that went 26-6 the last 2 seasons, there seems to be a lot more questions than answers.

Just sayin.

TarynsEyes's picture

April 05, 2021 at 04:26 pm

Questions never go away, they are a constant. When specific questions become unanswerable, then those are a problem, and why a conclusion seems a constant and why the Einstein quote applies to the Packers inability to find an answer.

PF4L's picture

April 05, 2021 at 05:21 pm

No...they don't go away, unless your Tampa Bay.

What's worse than the questions not going away?

When some are repeated on an annual basis.

Leatherhead's picture

April 05, 2021 at 11:14 am

I think The Plan at 1265 Lombardi regarding the defense, and the defensive line, looks something like this.

As a defensive coordinator, you'd rather have them running the ball than passing it. A really good RB, like Cook or Kamara or Jones, averages about 5.0 yards per carry. Even a poor QB averages 6.0 yards attempt. But you don't want them running it down your throat, like Minnesota did last year, so you have to win the short yardage stuff, especially in the redzone.

So on First and 10, the Packers are going to play a 3-4, with two threats as OLB/edge AND Kevin Clark. Those are the stars of the front seven and the pass rush. The other two DL are in there to stop the run, as are the interior guys of Barnes and Martin. This gives them three pressure guys if it's a pass, including pressure from both edges and Clark getting a push up the middle. We're HOPING they run, but if they do pass, we can pressure a quick release.

If they actually DO run on first down, the Packers counter with a middle that'll include Clark and Barnes. IMO, the Packers desperately need a horse more than an interior pass rusher in this draft rusher. These guys who can pressure from the middle are great, but if you want to stop runs and control short yardage, I think you need a Gilbert Brown/Fat Williams/Haloti Ngata type of a horse/hog in the middle of that defensive line. IMO, the Packers first objective on defense has to be get a player next to Clark for the next four years, and get him on Day Two of this draft.

Fortunately, because God loves the Packers, there is an abundance of qualified individuals in this draft.

Barmore, Shelvin, Wilson, McNeil, Slaton and others will all be available at some point from #29 on. Most of these guys are run pluggers who aren't going to help against the pass much, so they're only 1 or 2 down players and that's why they aren't higher picks.

The Plan, I'm sure, has us playing 3 or fewer DL, on average. So 65 plays times 2.6 DL/play. That's going to mean about 170 or fewer snaps for defensive linemen. You'll want Clark's snaps over 50 if he's playing, and that's roughly 1/3. That still leaves 110 snaps to split up among Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, and whoever we draft, and that's the five guys we'll keep active on gameday. We might have a 6th guy inactive, and we certainly will get a guy to put on the PS on Day 3.

This is still not going to be the best defensive line in the NFL, but if it can stay healthy, it can play well enough to keep us in games. Like I said, I'd rather have the opponent running than passing as long as we can stop 3rd and short.

That's what I think is The Plan. I know this will not meet the expectations of a "dominating" defensive line some of us have, but it'll be a capable group. If we get the right guy next to Clark, we should be able to be OK in the middle for the next couple of years.

But who's the right guy?

flackcatcher's picture

April 05, 2021 at 04:14 pm

DL was a GM decision the last couple of years. I think Gute is OK with what he has on the roster for now. The draft will answer those questions. AND if God loves the Green Bay Packers, why isn't he our DC...

PhantomII's picture

April 06, 2021 at 09:03 pm

Humility all the way around. Sloppy play has stung the Pack in big games.

BamaPackFan's picture

April 05, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Good Cooments. I think the right guy is Barmore. Yes, 1st round, but this is a powerful man who can definitely clog against the run and also push the pocket and pressure the QB. With Kenny and Barmore that middle is stout.

Leatherhead's picture

April 05, 2021 at 06:13 pm

I can't think of a bad thing to say about Barmore that really matters. I think he's a stud, but there's so many studs on that Alabama team he kind of blends in. TheHuddleReport thinks he's a late 1st/early 2nd guy who isn't going to come in and dominate as a rookie, but who has a great upside.

Drafttek has him at #22, in which case he'll be gone. I think that's too early.

IF we have to pick at #29, and we have to take a DL, then I think he's a real good option. I'd rather take one of the hogs later on and use that early pick differently. We still need lots of help on the OL and at CB.

I really like the idea of Alim McNeil at #62. I think there's a real good chance he'll be there. We could still trade down from #29 a little and get a good OT , and then trade up from 95 to about 80 and get a DB that'd be on the 53, and probably a top reserve.

BAMABADGER's picture

April 05, 2021 at 07:07 pm

Barmore.... Bar none. GPG!

April 05, 2021 at 07:30 pm

He's the only guy Guy, Gute should trade up for.

MarkinMadison's picture

April 05, 2021 at 12:33 pm

I have never watched Draft Day. After 13 months of sitting at home. Still. Haven't. Done. It.

I watched Hoosiers for the first time last month. I give it a B-.

For accuracy to reality, Miracle is probably about as close as it gets, and they Hollywooded that story up.

Duneslick's picture

April 05, 2021 at 05:57 pm

Whatever makes sense and what you thin they will do Gute will do something totally different. How about trading up and getting Micah Parsons. Every down stud inside linebacker.

April 05, 2021 at 07:34 pm

Alim McNeil is flying up the draft boards. He's @62. Top 50 by draft time.