#PackersDaily: Now...can any of these guys play?

Aaron chats with Packers fans about the team's 2019 draft and looks ahead to the remainder of the offseason.

Earlier this afternoon, I held my daily Packers chat over on our YouTube channel. You can catch the replay below.

Be sure to subscribe to the channel if you'd like to participate in future chats.

zeroluv's picture

April 29, 2019 at 08:42 pm

So quick question...I believe this is Crosby’s last year on his mega contract he signed 5 years ago. The Packers signed Sam Fricken a month ago to compete for the kicking spot. I like Mason crosby a lot but I would let Crosby walk and pick up a compensatory pick in 2021 if another team signs him. Do you think the Packers should look to try out UDFA kickers this year? I didn’t see any kicker invites. Just curious...

draftnut59's picture

April 30, 2019 at 09:36 am

You only get compensatory picks when someone signs one of your free agents. If you cut someone under contract, you don’t get a compensatory pick for that.

IceBowl's picture

April 29, 2019 at 09:01 pm

zeroluv,

Of course, I want the best kicker we can get. Nothing wrong with competition either. Looks like that is a very relevant theme now.

I saw Bal reinvested in their K Tucker. So some think it is good for their team to have a good one. They win a lot of games.

But with the Pack's new offense scoring 35 a game, we may not have to spend much.

zeroluv's picture

April 30, 2019 at 06:17 am

Mason would command a market for sure and I just don't feel we need to spend a lot for a kicker like we did when mason was in his prime. I know they are important (see Bears last year) but I think Sam Fricken or someone else could do that job well. I guess the key is can this person kick in December and January which is key. Now if Mason wants to give us a hometown discount...I’m all in.

MarkinMadison's picture

April 29, 2019 at 09:16 pm

Is this the end of the Kapri Bibbs era in Green Bay?!?!

zeroluv's picture

April 30, 2019 at 06:23 am

I liked him as a 3rd down back but it seems his time is up in Greenbay. I thought he was good in Washington before he came to us. Dexter Williams was slated to go in the second round but he had some off field issues in 2016 which hurt him badly with teams. He is a steal at the 6th round so there is no way Greenbay cuts him at this point and he is a #1 back body type. I love Aaron’s Jones and he deserves to be the starter but if he gets hurt....Dexter Williams won’t miss a beat. This draft by Gutey was so off the beaten path that people don’t realize just how good it really was.

sonomaca's picture

April 30, 2019 at 08:35 am

Aaron Jones got away with bad behavior because...he’s Aaron freakin’ Jones. Alonzo Harris was cut for a much more minor infraction. Eddy Lacy was benched.

The punishment doesn’t fit the crime in GB. It really depends upon how good you are.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

April 30, 2019 at 10:11 pm

My sleeper in the draft:

Eagles select RB Miles Sanders 53rd overall in the 2019 NFL Draft !!

IceBowl's picture

April 30, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Dougy

I hope you come back after the season, pound your chest, and say I got one.

You da man Dougy.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

May 02, 2019 at 10:23 pm

Here you go IceBowl. B+ for Rashan Gary.

Doug Niemczynski's picture

May 02, 2019 at 10:19 pm

Games/ Solo Tackles/Assisted Tackles/Total Tackles/Yard for Loss/ Sacks

Bradley Chubbs
12G ST39. AT 33. TT72. 23.YL 10Sacks

Rashan Gary
13G. ST25 AT33 TT58 11.5TL 5.5 Sacks

Grade B+
Only because of Gutes 2018 draft, but I am having a hard time justifying the value at #12. I still feel this should be a B+ 1st round pick between pick #20-#30 and not #12. It is going to be very difficult to Grade Rashan Gary , especially when you grade him against the same physical specimen as DE Chubbs who plays in a 4-3 Defense And was told that a 3-4 defense was unnatural Gary will have to be evaluated based On his statistics that the overall disruption he causes to improve our defense as a whole. If he can just draw the double teams that would be enough for me to be happy because it confounds me how his athleticism he has with amost exact same numbers in the combine as well as height, weight, and all the attributes.
Gary had himself a fine combine with testing numbers similar to Bradley Chubb, the fifth pick in last year’s draft. But his draft placement is varied because he didn’t put up big sack numbers at Michigan.
Now, they say scoring a 10 on the Wonderlic Test is a sign that you are literate. Well, the Michigan All-Big Ten defensive linemen and soon to be 1st round pick scored a 9. In Gary's defense he has dyslexia and has always carried a
3.0 GPA.
“I see people trying to put out a negative thing about a player. Rashan Gary runs in the 4.5’s, he’s 280 pounds. He’s going to get drafted in the top 10,” Harbaugh said on his podcast. “These people that are trying to kid themselves that he’s not, it’s comical to me.

Bradley Chubb, DE, Denver Broncos: Scored 19 on the Wonderlic which was third worst among defensive end.

Rashan Gary (6-foot-4, 277 lbs) LB opened eyes at the NFL Combine with his elite testing numbers. He ran a 4.58 second 40-yard dash in addition to posting 26 repetitions at 225 pounds on the bench press and 38 inches on the vertical jump
Combine/pro day results
Broad jump:
120.0
3-cone drill:
7.26
BEST TRAIT – Hand Technique
WORST TRAIT – Feet/COD
BEST FILM – Ohio State (2017)
WORST FILM – Notre Dame (2018)
RED FLAGS – 2018 Shoulder Injury
Rashan Gary is a versatile defender with the needed abilities to be a disruptive force working from 3T. Gary has the ability to set the edge vs. the run and can be worked on the outside sparingly, although his pass rush skills are best utilized in scenarios that allow him to play with linear angles and with his hips aligned behind his pads to optimize his power and quickness.

As a run defender, Gary was at his best when taking on tight ends in a six-technique (head-up alignment).
Whether the running back was trying to bounce outside, or cut back inside, Gary was usually able to knock the tight end back enough to help force the running back where he didn’t want to go
Round Grade - Early Second Round
But, let's see who wins the battle TE- Hockenson v. OLB R.Gary?
************************************
Bradley Chubb - DE (Top 10 pick)
6' 4"

3 Cone Drill
7.37
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
4.4
SECONDS

With impressive instincts and feel, Chubb sets up tackles with his variety of moves to keep them on their heels. Chubb also is wise to go for the strip, producing nine forced fumbles over the past three years. He comes up with sacks in crunch time and rises to the occasion. Chubb is a consistent source of splash plays with a passionate style of play that feeds the players around him. On the field, Chubb contributes a big-time presence and consistently wrecks
In terms of defensive scheme, Chubb's best fit comes in a 4-3 defense. He is a natural base end who should be a three-down difference-maker. If he is drafted into a 3-4, Chubb doesn't have a natural fit.

Gary also racked up just 9.5 sacks in three seasons despite being 6-foot-4, 280 pounds and running the 40-yard dash in 4.5. However, he did face constant double and sometimes even triple teams, but he never emerged as a dominant force many expected from the top recruit in 2016.
Harbaugh stated teams try to get players value dropped on purpose. “And, the way pro teams go about it is that. They try the ‘I don’t know, I wouldn’t take him there or here.’ Watch on draft day. He’ll get taken in that spot.” All in All, R. Gary is a 1st round pick, but only time will tell how good. So, until Gute gets as bad as TT I will get over myself and bad attitude and go with the Gute even though it pains me, maybe because we didn't get Hockenson. Final Grade B+ for Rashan Gary at #12.