Packers Stock Report: Real football is here (finally!) edition

It's almost time for the Packers season-opener. It is time for this week's Packers Stock Report.

We're days away from the Green Bay Packers season-opener.

Soon, we'll find out the following about the 2015 Packers:

• Can they bounce back after the Seattle collapse?
  • What's the offense going to look like without Jordy Nelson?
  • Will Mike McCarthy giving up playcalling duties improve the defense and special teams?
  • Can someone out there get me tickets to the Thanksgiving night Favre retirement game that won't cost me two mortgage payments?

For now, it's on to the Packers Stock Report:

Rising

James Jones
Ladies and gentlemen, the Sleeveless Turtleneck has returned! You know how NBA teams and college basketball teams have their fans wear T-shirts of all the same color for select big home games? The Packers should do that for a game or two this season, only instead of matching T-shirts, everyone inside Lambeau puts on their best sleeveless turtleneck. When rumors began swirling that Jones and the Packers were talking, I initially wasn't sold. But the more I thought about it, the more I came around. I trust James Jones to be better in 2015 than Myles White. As fun as it would be to see if White can develop into a player down the line, I'd rather go with a player who offers more upside right now.

Mike McCarthy
"We will kick Chicago's ass." That's what McCarthy said at the Packers welcome back luncheon and it's a great way to get Packers fans fired up for the season-opener. Thatta boy, Mike. Now go fix the special teams.

Ladarius Gunter
Just in case the Casey Hayward experiment on the outside goes kaput, Gunter has shown that he's a legit option to replace him.

Steady

Julius Peppers
Do defensive players get any more "steady" than Peppers? He still adds a lot to a defense, even at his advancing age. Hopefully, another outside linebacker steps up early so the Packers can limite Peppers' snaps and keep him fresh for later in the season.

Josh Sitton
Do offensive linemen get any more "steady" than Sitton? As long as his health holds out, I expect we'll see another pro-bowl season from Sitton (and some colorful quotes in the postgame locker room).

Falling

The Chicago Bears

EdsLaces's picture

September 08, 2015 at 02:47 pm

This defense will be better than last year! It has to be to get us that freakin trophy...

johngalt's picture

September 08, 2015 at 02:49 pm

I love beating the Bears as much as the next guy- but it seems quite a few folks on here are ready to just chalk up the W as a foregone conclusion. Last I checked- their all professionals - and we usually struggle early on. Dangerous to underestimate ANY opponent.

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 08, 2015 at 07:26 pm

Of course it's going to be a close game -- until the Bears have to depend heavily upon the arm of Cutler. I don't follow the Bears at all, but if they still run that Cover 2 bullshit this will be a game the young receivers to showcase their smarts and ability to find openings in zone.

Nick Perry's picture

September 09, 2015 at 05:53 am

No I don't think so, they have Vic Fangio as their DC now, the 49ers old DC. They'll run a 3-4 defense now but with the Fox and Fangio the defense should be better. I want to see how Jared Allen handles his switch to OLB, I had read it was a tough transition for him. It's still the Bears though, and they still suck!

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 09, 2015 at 03:07 pm

Then this should be the Bears' struggle year

4thand1's picture

September 08, 2015 at 02:55 pm

Fast start? On the road, then Seattle. If they go 2-0, I'll call for cow's return.

chugwater's picture

September 08, 2015 at 08:16 pm

Whoa. Let's not get crazy here. I've been enjoying the peace and quiet since the NE game.

I will say this...if we beat SEA then I'll feel a lot better about winning the Super Bowl without Jordy. That would be a big confidence boost to the team.

4thand1's picture

September 08, 2015 at 08:29 pm

I know, WTF was I thinking.

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 09, 2015 at 03:09 pm

What if Kam isn't playing and we beat the Seahawks? Still feel the same?

I would love a victory either way, but beating them with Kam while Jordy is out would feel soooooooo much better. Imagine riding that high...

Duke Divine's picture

September 08, 2015 at 03:27 pm

Give the job to Gunter already!! Why wait for 29 to get hurt or hurt the team? What little tape there is shows all you need to see. Hayward should play or backup the slot. THe way Hyde was abused vs Philly tells me teams see his speed as a weakness and will try to match up speedy receivers against 33 in the slot. TEs and running backs he can handle but the faster receivers may have someone to pick on in the slot. Ideally Hayward covers WRs in the slot while Hyde covers TEs and RBs because SAm Barrington can't. I really liked the substitutions last year on defense as it seemed to keep legs fresh and kept opposing offenses guessing. As long as they plug the run and rush the passer the knit picking over who does what in the young talented secondary will not matter. 34-20 PAck

September 08, 2015 at 04:19 pm

Given how beat up the Bears receivers are and Jay Cutler's desire to spread the ball around to all players (wearing green), it might actually take an extra week to find out whether Hayward belongs on the outside or not.

Spud Rapids's picture

September 08, 2015 at 04:59 pm

I don't know enough about Gunter to see him line up one on one with #1's like Alshon Jeffery. I hope Hayward can prove to be a reliable starter but if he isn't I'm not concerned because of the depth behind him. 31-14 Pack

Dan Stodola's picture

September 08, 2015 at 06:02 pm

If Hayward isn't up to outside CB,the next option will be Randall, not Gunter. Packers will give both rookie draft picks a shot way b4 Gunter.

Duke Divine's picture

September 09, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Draft position didn't seem to matter when SAm Shields was an UDFA yet the most talented option at CB... Instincts and sound technique outweigh draft position every time.....or at least they should.

Dan Stodola's picture

September 09, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Shields didn't have a 1st rd pick at CB ahead of him, did he?

Make no mistake, Randall and probably Rollins will get the chance to play b4 Gunter if Hayward faulters. Rollins may not as much as Randall, since he's better suited to play the slot anyway, whereas Gunter is only an outside CB.

September 08, 2015 at 07:19 pm

The Gunter love is premature. While Gunter's play was encouraging, it did leave questions about his foot speed. Hayward has the same issue, but I would expect to see Randall given the first chance to replace Hayward should Hayward falter.

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 09, 2015 at 03:35 pm

Quick question(s) y'all:

When did Sam Shields become a starter and who were the starting CBs when he did?

I think Gunter deserves snaps. I don't think he should just jump over Hayward,Shields,Randall. But I would damn sure like him in Base packages. Big,physical and likes to tackle.

September 08, 2015 at 08:12 pm

Shields started 6 games as a rookie, 7 games in 2011, and IIRC became the full time unquestioned starter beginning in 2012 through the present. Shields started 8 games in 2012, but injuries limited his snaps. Guessing (IIRC), he probably played considerably more than half the snaps in his rookie year, including sub-packages.

Duke Divine's picture

September 09, 2015 at 12:10 pm

This stat is an anomaly. This stat determined who started the game and had their face up on the TV shortly after kickoff in a base defense with 2 CBs. This stat does not take into the account that the PAckers were in Nickle 85% of the time and Woodson was in the slot and near the line of scrimmage almost 100% of that time while Tramon and Shields manned the outside. IF your going to be in the nickle and have 3 CBs on the field most of the time than its safe to say those 3 are proverbial "starters." Woodson Williams and Shields.

Dan Stodola's picture

September 08, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Woodson and Tramon were the starting CB when Shields showed up in '10. Gunter is behind Shields, Hayward, Randall and Rollins. If he gets meaningful snaps this season something has gone terribly wrong. He won't be in base. And how do you know he likes to tackle? Only thing I've seen is coverage. I think your assuming he likes to tackle based on his decent size. From what I've seen Rollins definitely bring more of a physical presence and the film I saw on Randall seemed like he didn't mind throwing his body around.

Gunter showed good ability but he is well down the depth chart.

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 09, 2015 at 03:42 pm

Why can't I assume he likes to tackle? I've seen him on film fight off a block to make a tackle and throw his body around as well. I've seen it in the Patriots game and I've seen it in the Steelers game.

Rollins definitely brings a more physical presence than Gunter? Stop it...

I guess I should have posted it "seems like" Gunter likes to tackle, huh?

Also, I never said he should start in Base. I said I would like to see him, since it's a heavy run formation and that's when Dom usually throws out the bigger and better tacklers on the field. I thought I acknowledged that Gunter was behind Shields, Hayward, Randall and Rollins???

((EDIT)) Annnnnd another thing!

No one is calling for Gunter to become a full-time starter. We would like to see him in some meaningful action against respected WRs. What has he shown to make any of you feel that he doesn't belong?

Dan Stodola's picture

September 09, 2015 at 05:06 pm

You stop it. I Havent seen Gunter come up and make a punishing tackle like the one Rollins had when cut down a RB?. Gunter plays physically w/ WR, but he doesn't throw his body around like Rollins or Randall against RB.

Yes Gunter is behind all 4 of the other CB and for him to see meaningful snaps something will have gone very wrong. #6 CB on a roster don't see the field too often except on ST, Gunter is also behind Hyde who plays the nickel slot too. They aren't going to be making up plays or scheming to get the last CB on the roster playing time.

You can wish for it, but I wouldn't hold your breathe. He might have showed he belongs, but that doesn't change the fact that he's behind 5 other DB's for playing time at CB.

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 09, 2015 at 07:15 pm

Its obvious you're just not a fan of Gunter so I'll stop here.

Dan Stodola's picture

September 09, 2015 at 07:26 pm

Never said that. But facts are facts. He's the #6 CB and teams don't find ways to get a #6 CB on the field, its really as simple as that. Even one that showed some ability. He' just got to wait his turn and keep playing well.

September 08, 2015 at 04:26 pm

I think the signing of James Jones shows you just how concerned the Packers were about their established WR depth. Sure they had developmental kids, but Cobb or Adams goes down for any length of time and where does that leave you? For TT to make that move shows you the depth of their unease....just as drafting two CB in two rounds in the spring did.

White was good in camp, and it's sad to see him not get his chance in GB, but they're a better team right now with Jones.

As for the "kick Chicago's ass" comment: GOOD. I know that MM has since backed off some and said the comment was in jest, but maybe it's time GB started adopting the attitude of the bully. All these other teams already don't like the Packers, and the Packers have quietly beaten up on several of them over the last several years. It's time the bravado and swagger came forward.

Spud Rapids's picture

September 08, 2015 at 05:06 pm

I agree they are better with Jones... you get a savvy vet for cheap, hell it's like we rented James Jones out for a year and had Oakland pay him his big contract e.g. $6 million. As for White, I think his caliber of receiver is easily found year in and year out in the later rounds not to mention he was more of slot receiver.

The biggest impact Jones will have is allowing Randall Cobb to operate out of the slot where is by far the most effective. Putting Montgomery out there or a very raw Janis wouldn't be the same as having a guy with Rodgers rapport like Jones.

September 08, 2015 at 07:22 pm

I agree with the gist of your comment, especially your point about Jones allowing Cobb to stay in the slot (I don't think Cobb is special if he is on the outside). It might take Jones some time to get re-acclimated.

johngalt's picture

September 08, 2015 at 05:12 pm

Couldn't agree more. Gotta perform though to possess swagger and be seen as the bully. Would love if Raji had a little more Daniels in him.

4thand1's picture

September 08, 2015 at 05:35 pm

R Rogers gave up #89. Guess who'll be wearing it?

EdsLaces's picture

September 08, 2015 at 08:10 pm

That was sooooo 8 hours ago lol

4thand1's picture

September 08, 2015 at 08:33 pm

Why didn't he tell me when I was tossing passes to him?

John Galt III's picture

September 08, 2015 at 06:19 pm

Super Bowl 50

1) Injuries: just keep them to a bare minimum and we will be fine.

2) Special Teams: I don't care if they block a punt, block a FG or block an extra Point attempt or for that matter score a TD. I just don't want them to hurt us.

3) Defense - Just keep us in the game. Our offense can win any game.

Do these (3) things and we win the SB.

ATLPack's picture

September 08, 2015 at 07:02 pm

Been on here for years but now finally posting. I don't think Seattle loss is even an issue anymore. I subscribe to the belief that every year is a new team with new players, and none of us have any idea how it will play out. This team is stacked but it only takes an injury or two to de-rail the dream. Division is stronger, especially that purple team to the west with Teddy Checkdown. Lions seem to have quite a few offensive weapons but appear to be less fierce on D. The Bears will improve...just not yet.

Not trolling but had to also comment on the Seahawks dumping Christine Michael. I recall the almighty Cow spouting incessantly how Michael will be a star and was a better pick than Lacy. Unlike many of his opinions, he was drastically incorrect.

Looking forward to a great season. Let the chips fall where they may.

4thand1's picture

September 08, 2015 at 07:15 pm

Yes every year is a new year. The Packers shouldn't be to much different, hopefully better. The season will dictate that. I keep my optimism at an even keel and usually it takes a few breaks to win it all. They've been good at addressing glaring issues and fixing them.

croatpackfan's picture

September 09, 2015 at 01:33 am

"Division is stronger, ..." I agree on that. But, Packers are stronger too. Just to be mentioned!

Mr.Bigg's picture

September 08, 2015 at 09:13 pm

I have already begun the preparations for keeping my anxiety level around 3. Meditation and remembering it is a season that will have highs and lows. The defense will fall apart a some point and the pack will have to fix it. The offense will struggle at some point and the pack will have to fix it.
I will struggle and I will have to fix it.

porupack's picture

September 09, 2015 at 12:16 am

Adam,
I like your stuff usually, but this was a bit thin?

Alright, maybe we're tired of reading for 7 months, and ready for action. What a long off season.

Falling
Myles White (fell);
Janis (one of the JJs)
Montgomery (deeper on the bench)

I like James Jones, and was against his release, though I understood rationale that TT couldn't match the money Oakland threw at him.

But, I think that this Game #1 vs Chigo should trot out JJ (Janis) not JJ (Jones), and target the young receivers Adams, Janis, and Montgomery. See what they can do before sticking in JJ (Jones). After this game, its time to put to rest this thing about no experience on the depth chart after DAdams and RCobb. Give em experience. I believe in challenging the young guys up. Its time for the new crop of WRs, and what better time than the Bears game. Get RRogers +5 targets, and save JJ (Jones) for Seattle to give him another week of practice before action.

DrealynWilliams's picture

September 09, 2015 at 07:24 pm

Gotta give all receivers that will play significant snaps live action with Rodgers. All of them. All games count. None are taken more serious than the other (or shouldn't , at least).

4thand1's picture

September 09, 2015 at 09:33 pm

I see a lot of ball control and short passes. Rodgers tends to hold the ball longer when he's unsure of young receivers. Hell he held the ball when Jordy was out there. He'll take a sack before throwing it. I hope the shit cow pasture turf is fixed in Chicago. Nfl makes 11 billion a year and they can't have decent fields to play on?