Packers' Snap Counts Versus The Bills: Decision Time

The Packers left thirty players or more inactive for each of their preseason games.  They should have gotten a good chance to evaluate the bottom half of the roster.  Now comes decision time.

Player Snaps % ST Snaps

Dafney 12 20 1 - 8%
Deguara 8 13

Hill 16 27 6 - 50%
Dillon 16 27 1 - 8%
D. Williams 16 25 6 - 50%
P. Taylor 13 22 7 - 58%

It was not pretty, but the offensive line generally got a pretty good push.  The Packers averaged 4.2 yards per carry.  Many of the best runs seemed to go right up the gut.  Hill had a few of those types of carries.  Dillon averaged 2.6 yards per carry.  According to Pro Football Focus, Dillon gained just 5 yards before contact on his seven carries.  He had a nice jump cut and managed to fall forward despite generally poor blocking for him.  Newman had a nice game.  After reviewing some highlights, Hanson was not as bad as my first impression, but snapping the ball is a priority.  The Packers allowed seven quarterback hits and two sacks.  Runyan, Nijman, Braden, and Van Lanen were all beaten quickly at one point or another.  Patrick Taylor caught a pass and ran hard trying to pick up the 16 yards needed for a first down, but despite an excellent effort fell a yard short.  Still, he really battled for it.

Malik Taylor finally persuaded me that he should make this roster.  He ran an NFL route against Tre'Davious White, got his feet in bounds on another reception and made a nice adjustment on a third pass.  Begelton did some good things, some on slants and in the middle, but I think it only earned him a practice squad position.  Amari Rodgers caught 6 passes on 7 targets for 41 yards with a long of 11 yards.  He has some burst but I do not really see what made him a third round pick.

Sternberger did nothing to help his case.  He missed a reach block on the goal line (admittedly, not the easiest block to execute), and does not seem able or interested in being an in-line blocking tight end.  Dafney and Deguara look like nice chess pieces.  I saw Kaufusi execute a few blocks but not enough to make the 53.  I think the Packers will try to sign him to the practice squad as the backup to Marcedes Lewis.

Player Snaps % STs

Heflin 43 63 1 - 8%
Anderson 39 57 1 - 8%
D. Scott 33 53 1 - 8%
Slaton 33 53 1 - 8%
Previlon 24 35 1 - 8%
Kemp 16 24 2 - 17%

Gaines, Uphoff, and Black did little to improve their odds of making the team, with Gaines doing the least harm to his chances.  Gaines and Black each had 5 solo tackles, while Uphoff managed 2 assisted tackles.  Uphoff was one of the two gunners on Scott's 56 yards punt which had 5.03 seconds of hang-time by my stopwatch.  Uphoff, working against a single blocker, had all kinds of trouble getting downfield, and only managed to reach the twenty yard line.  The other gunner (I watched this over and over but could not pick up his number) also was working against a single blocker, and he reached the ten yard line, forcing the punt returner towards the middle of the field.  Chauncey Rivers racing down the middle also reached the twenty yards line.  Uphoff moved towards the hash, misjudged the returner's speed (Marquez Stevenson, 4.48 forty) and allowed him to get to the edge for an 18 yard punt return.  I imagine that the Packers will keep Gaines, Black and probably Vernon Scott, though Scott has been injured.  It is an unprepossessing lot.  None of them seem to play all that well deep.

Yiadom had a forced incompletion but allowed 5 receptions for 67 yards, according to Pro Football Focus.  He did play 67% of special teams snaps.  Ento had some moments but was more down than up.  Ento also played 67% of special teams snaps.  Ento costs $310,000 less than Yiadom and the Packers control Ento through 2022, whereas Yiadom will be a free agent after this season.  Denmark looked intriguing.  Denmark also costs $310,000 less than Yiadom and the Packers would control him through 2023.  Shemar Jean-Charles probably makes the 53 based on his fifth round draft status and modest performance so far.  Josh Allen completed 77% of his passing attempts and the Bills as a team completed 69% of their passing attempts.

The Packers did not have Barnes, Campbell, Burks, or Summers active for this game.  I assume that means those four players have secured roster spots, though I do not necessarily agree.  I am not sold on Burks or Summers, despite their special teams prowess.  McDuffie played nearly every snap plus 75% of the special teams snaps.  McDuffie had 9 tackles (4 solo), a quarterback hit and a half sack.  He should make the 53 (the Packers will just have to keep 5 ILBs).  He looked fast and explosive.  Wilborn also had a nice game with 5 tackles (4 solo) and showed the ability to get to the sideline.  He played 33% of special teams snaps.  De'Jon Harris played a lot of special teams snaps and got a good look at ILB.  He had 4 solo tackles and a passed defensed.  Frankly, Wilborn and Harris might well provide more value to the Packers than some of the players the team will keep at safety and cornerback.

Chauncey Rivers had 1 solo tackle, 1 tackle for loss, 2 quarterback hits and a sack while playing 50% of special teams snaps.  He had a pretty good day and made the decision on the last outside linebacker more difficult.  Garvin had one assisted tackle and played 42% of special teams snaps.  Gileai needs another year in the weight room.

Heflin had a nice day and should make the 53.  He had 1 solo tackle, a tackle for loss and a quarterback hit.  He was consistently disruptive.  Slaton had 2 solo tackles.  The Packers allowed 3.5 yards per carry.  Delontae Scott had an assisted tackle, a quarterback hit and a half sack.  That sounds better than it was.  The Packers will just have to carry six defensive linemen, unless the team can and decides to trade Lowry for a draft pick.  The Packers would get $1.69 million in cap relief this year (ignore OTC's figures - those aren't updated for a post-June trade or release) and $3.9 million in 2022.  The acquiring team would only have to play Lowry $990,000.  The other option would be to release or trade Lancaster if the team thinks Slaton and Heflin can emulate his run-stuffing ability.

August 29, 2021 at 08:03 am

McDuffie, Malik Taylor and Jack Heflin were the outstanding performers against the Bills, imo. I chose to use a photo of McDuffie, but I seriously considered Heflin. All of them might be buried on the depth chart depending on whether Barry uses big defensive ends, whether Barnes and Campbell stay healthy, and whether Malik Taylor can supplant Lazard or MVS.

Some of what I wrote might not age well. McDuffie might need a year to put it together. I don't think he backs up Barnes and Summers - probably he backs up Campbell. I don't know if GB sat Summers and Burks because they are known quantities or if they wanted a long look at Wilborn and McDuffie, plus Harris. I suspect for just 2021, Harris, McDuffie and Wilborn can provide the STs that Summers and Burks have been doing while being possibly better on defense. I am trying to remember if Vernon Scott can play deep, and don't recall that being one of his strengths. I imagine Wilborn and Harris go to the PS and get called up as often as is legal.

Edit:

2 QB; Benkert to PS or trade.
3 RBs:
6 WRs
9 OL: Jenkins, Braden and Patrick, Myers, Newman, Turner, Nijman, Runyan, and maybe Kelly.
4 TEs.

6 DL
4 OLBs: Smith x 2, Gary, Garvin (close but Rivers to PS).
5 ILBs: Barnes, Campbell, Summers, McDuffie. Probably Burks, but prefer Wilborn or Harris.
5 CBs: Jaire, Stokes, King, Sully, Ento,
5 S: Amos, Savage, Black, Scott, Gaines.

1 spot left. I liked Denmark, Rivers, Wilborn/Harris. I just don't know enough about Denmark. I am guessing GB keeps Yiadom for reasons unknown (probably will talk STs).

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:33 am

Looking at the PFF grades, Newman and Nijman again excel. That has been the case atm preseason.

Interesting that Kaufusi comes out so high (as a run blocker). Here’s a wild card. Could we keep him and Lewis with Sternberger being a washout? Never really considered that, but it might be an option.

The other one we need to think about is on D. ILB Harris rated really highly. In part for the Blitrz usage but also not missing a tackle. Could Burks or Summers do that. McDuffie and Wilborn were equally high for all round ILB play.

I’m concerned that, of our 5 best ILBs, 3 won’t make this roster in favor of Burks and Summers, whom I have been disappointed with this season, but especially Burks.

Ento had the highest grade on STs. He is in. Yiadom had one of the worst on D. He is not a CB but was up there on ST grades. Saliently, Uphoff had the worst ST grade and one of the worst on D. If the Packers agree, will he even make the PS. Rivers and Galeai graded badly on D too.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 01:01 pm

CW, thanks for sharing.....I found this interesting...."Jordan Love completed 83.3 percent of his passes and averaged 9.6 yards per attempt when kept clean in the pocket. His passing grade was 25.3 under pressure. When of his best throws, a strike to Malik Taylor on a free play, did come under pressure."

What I saw was a very accurate passer with both touch and letting it rip passes. He made a couple of fine touch screen throws where one he had to throw over the rushers arms and the other underneath the arm, both were difficult throws which he completed. If he throws away those two passes when he tripped and when under pressure his grade would've been well north of 100. The reality is that he did throw those two plays, but they are easier to fix than not being accurate, poise in pocket or reading the D. Most impressive thou is that he did this against the Bills 1st string D with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. He drove the field 2 consecutive times. It's only pre-season so I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm, but it sure seems like he has a bright future.

Leatherhead's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Most QBs do better when they have time. That’s a fact.

KKB's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:05 am

I agree about Rodgers. He has shown nothing on O or returns.
Hill is much more what iI would have expected for third round.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:04 am

Rodgers is having a lot thrown at him. I thought he looked better last night. I agree he’s going to take time. That’s the norm for receivers.

NickPerry's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:06 am

I've been a huge Sternberger supporter and liked the pick at the time. I even had some hope he'd ball out this game. Like everyone else I saw the missed block and if your a 3rd year player fighting for a roster spot you can't miss that block that badly. I mean that looked so bad you can't possibly ignore it. Sorry Jace, but with an effort like that you may have lost one of your last supporters.

Bure9620's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:33 am

He isn't a good football player....

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:08 am

He doesn’t seem to want it. Unless you are a generation al talent, you have to work at everything at this level. For every Tonyan there are many Sternbergers and EQs. It’s over for both of them and rightly so. Invest time in those who will make every effort to repay that investment.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:37 am

CW…that’s a very intelligent answer. I totally agree, many times it’s the desire above initial talent. These guys are all very talented, especially if you are drafted in the first 3 rounds. What makes the difference is time commitment and desire to Excell. That holds true with most everything in life.

August 29, 2021 at 08:58 am

I argued with a buddy (BDU) about who to select during that draft. He liked McLaurin and Sternberger but thought we should take McLaurin. I liked both but thought McLaurin was too skinny so we should take Sternberger.

Oops.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:09 am

So much of any draft pick is mentality. That’s really hard to predict from outside.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:39 am

Welcome to being a GM. Normally, a thankless job because you are wrong more than right.

PhantomII's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:40 am

McLaurin should have gone in the first round. He's played excellent with minimal NFL QB talent.

croatpackfan's picture

August 30, 2021 at 11:07 am

Nick I'm with you in this disappointment. I was also hoping he will light out at least as receiver TE. But he showed next to nothing. I will try to trade him for 7th conditional pick, to get at least something...

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:20 am

A great review. Thank you.

I don’t really disagree with anything in your conclusions. We still do not have a clear 4th OLB, but Rivers seems the best option and Garvin the favorite.

We saw 2 ILBs in McDuffie and Wilborn who just look like an upgrade over Sommers perhaps and Burks definitely. Both have speed and can tackle and cover better. (McDuffie is the best in coverage, Wilford a better tackler of the two in my view). As you point out, Harris probably is too and close to as good on STs. I’d keep all 3 over Burks in a heartbeat and I think we should think hard about keeping 2 definitely. My guess is Burks is retained for reasons I really think bogus.

We do not have a S who can play deep. Denmark might be our best CB after the top 5. Can he or Yiadom take the Redmond role? Yiadom looks better facing the QB. Denmark looks like he deserves a real look but isn’t super fast.

Sternberger is not going to get snaps. His route running was lackadaisical on top of his excruciating bad blocking at the line or in the open field. He’s not good enough and his attitude seems to explain the coaches disfavor. He will not come back unless as a band aid if we are in injury he’ll.

I would not be shocked if we pick up a S who can play deep or a more traditional all round TE candidate over the next week. I want them to give Denmark a real look. He impressed. Farris did one or two good things too.

We can cut Kelly and PS Van Lanen. Nijman and Braden are in. That was a good test yesterday. Van Lanen got manhandled. Patrick and Newman are clear starters at G. We got noticeably worse when Patrick went out and Meyers did.

I’m on the fence about Lancaster. I’d keep Lancaster as our best clogger and use Hefflin and Keke at DE. Lowry being traded could make sense now?

Barry is an ILB guy, but behind the starters I think there is a real basis for looking at the showings behind them this pre season and asking what the heck he is thinking with the current order behind them.

Bure9620's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:41 am

Sternberger fake blocks, seriously watch him. He engages a player, doesn't move his feet, like is just fine in that position. He then actually turned head to make sure the run wasn't coming his way....just pitiful. He doesn't belong on the 53, not an NFL football player. I am done pulling for that guy. I hope Gute doesn't force him back on the roster week 3 to just save face for the pick.

The D-line is interesting. Heflin basically plays Kenny Clark's position. Hopefully he can spell Clark and keep him fresh. I take Heflin over Lancaster. Its the same guy and he is younger.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:30 am

I agree on Sternberger. As someone said here, he’s contact averse with or without the ball.

Heflin has been mostly DE and Slaton mostly DT. Yesterday Heflin played more DT (he’s small there) and showed he can, with Slaton playing less. That’s how I saw it.

The big winner should be Clark. Hefflin and Slaton open up a ton of options with him and Keke. I see Lowry as the big loser if the team trusts those players. I’m not sure that Lancaster is not still valuable depth for certain situations where there’s a power run game.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:26 am

I don’t think Heflin is the same type of guy that Lancaster is. I think Heflin is more athletic and a better pass rusher. He has a burst I haven’t seen from Lancaster. Lancaster seems to be a better run stopper, more stout against the run. He was rated PFF 71 for run D. I think who gets the position is dependent on what the coaches need this year for the D. The future can wait, we need to win now and I believe that is how the Packers will make this tough decision. Can you risk losing Heflin by exposing him to the PS? Is Heflin good enough to trade Lowry? Do you keep an extra DL? Those are big questions for the Packers Mgmt to answer.

Bure9620's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:45 am

Heflin is playing more 3 tech. I feel like Slaton is a true nose and a promising one. He makes Lancaster expendable. Heflin can hopefully keep Kenny Clark fresh not having to play so many snaps.

realitybytez's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:52 am

heflin only makes lancaster expendable if he can stay healthy for the whole season. we need depth that doesn't suck.

Bure9620's picture

August 29, 2021 at 07:15 pm

Slaton makes Lancaster expendable

Leatherhead's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Think we could keep Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, Slaton and Heflin on the 53. That’s six of the 25 defenders. It’s a long season and six is not too many.

August 30, 2021 at 01:16 am

6 isn't too many, but five might be enough. It has been in the past. One never knows. I could be playing Madden here. [I haven't ever played Madden, but am extrapolating from various descriptions I've read.]

I think Lowry is a lock after they added a bunch of void years to his contract. That means they would have to offload Lancaster, and he is the player I prefer between Lowry/Lancaster.

croatpackfan's picture

August 30, 2021 at 11:14 am

Interesting, because coaches have different opinion about Lowry. They think he is valueable player and during camp he is repoted good plays, very often mention when passes were blocked. I believe you are to harsh to Lowry.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:32 am

Ironically, fake blocking is a good way to get hurt.

August 29, 2021 at 09:15 am

We seem to largely agree. Safeties: flip a coin or find a guy on another team now.

I like Lancaster better than most folks do. I would rather part with Lowry and go with 5.

Hoping Stokes can progress given half a season. Sullivan is just okay. Not thrilled with Yiadom or Ento. Maybe King really has been playing with significant injuries. Granted the pass rush against Allen was tepid, the ball came out mighty fast giving the rushers too little time. No coverage sacks!

Nijman improved too much not to keep. Too much potential now, and maybe can play in a pinch.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:24 am

Sullivan has been pretty good in camp and when he has played. SHC has some growing to do, as expected. You can’t teach coverage and Ento can. Yiadom might be a cover S type. He’s no good with his back to the QB but can tackle. Denmark needs to be looked at closely in the remaining closed practices. At CB and S. I have no idea how athletic King is at this point. Only real action will show it now. Hopefully they at least let him play his natural press game.

croatpackfan's picture

August 30, 2021 at 11:18 am

I agree with you Coldworld about Denmark. Only red flag is that we saw him only this, one game, but to me he looked like the best CB on the field for Packers. So he should be 6th if this is not one time showing. I believe coaches will know better. We'll see what happened. Ento is intriguing, but his naive tackling and hitting are ridiculous...

Lphill's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:54 am

People down on Amari Rodgers but maybe the plays he's practicing with the ones on offense are much different than the simpler plays being used in pre - season action . he looks like a hard guy to tackle and a definite yak guy. and JK Scott is God awful

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:16 am

I agree about Rodgers, he has shown potential while catching what is thrown his way. Slot receivers generally are not your big play guys, more about YAC and catching key third down plays. Rarely does a 3rd rounder come out and play to a high level in the first year. So, patience is necessary when grading Rodgers pick.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:28 am

I though Rodgers looked better last night. As you say, it’s going to take time to learn that position in the NFL. We were not really showing option or scheming him open either. Those would be the two things most likely to get him involved and looking good. Rightly they have been working on his more classic receiving, which he wasn’t asked to do much in college and also keeping the playbook under wraps.

PhantomII's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:53 am

Right, let's remember, things are vanilla right now on both sides of the ball. We are not tipping the hand and our veterans are not playing. Things are going to get changed up in a hurry. Amari was dynamic in college. He will get a lot better...a coaches son...loves this stuff.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 08:55 am

TGR, good write up, especially considering how fast you put this out! Thanks for your efforts and thoughts.

August 29, 2021 at 09:32 am

Thanks, but feel free to blast away at my thoughts!

Cut downs due by 3:00 pm Tuesday. Should be lots of content and many opinions.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 09:34 am

YW….Since you asked…LOL. I agree with much of what you say and it’s obvious you spend a lot of time deciphering the complexities of talent evaluation and team needs. I do disagree with your thoughts on Rodgers. As I stated above, it’s a bit premature and he has shown to me what might be expected from a mid 3rd round WR draft pick. He seems to have very good hands and ability to break tackles. Does he look as quick as you might want to see, maybe not, but I haven’t had the advantage of seeing an isolation of his route running to provide an opinion.

August 29, 2021 at 10:20 am

Seen PFF grades after the Game? Don't put two rookies together or Rodgers will get hurt. When Slaton and Clarke get on this DL together. Things will change for the better. Tonyan's play took the wind out of Sternbergers sails? He is playing like R. Rodgers. Still I want to keep him. Gutey found the Smiths and Gary. He needs to keep looking. I thought we traded Gilbert. I missed Scott. I wonder if will draft a CB in rd. 1 again next year. Or just move Savage in where he likes to play. It won't matter who is behind A. Rodgers on the depth chart. We still need a Punt Returner.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:40 am

PFF again have Newman as our best guard. I don’t see why we wouldn’t put him out there on their rating or my eye test. Meyers is clearly our best C unless you want our next highest rated OL, Nijman at LT. I’d go with Jenkins personally and thus Meyers and Newman together.

murf7777's picture

August 29, 2021 at 01:04 pm

In addition, early on when Meyers was center and Newmann was Right Guard, they consistently ran to that side with success.

August 29, 2021 at 08:30 pm

Braden is more of a bull in my opinion than Turner. We'll see how they do with Turner on the edge.

August 29, 2021 at 09:10 pm

That won't work! This is the NFL. . Myers is going to get Beaned. Because two DTs will even go off sides to disrupt his confidence. If I want to win. My Defense is pounding that middle right off the start. WE haven't faced the #1s yet either. I'm not against Newman. I'm sure he can pull and get out. But the smart play is to make sure you can protect Rodgers first. You wreck the confidence of Myers, you got Rodgers balls. Myers will play better next to veterans first. So I'll take Patrick there first. Because who is playing center if Myers goes down? If Patrick is that bad and regressed. I'm moving Turner back inside. And putting in a new RT in first. For Rodgers!!

croatpackfan's picture

August 30, 2021 at 11:26 am

While I can respect your opinion, in the past your opinions were more inaccurate than good. I believe you can not be wrong when you put your best players in the position to play. Also, I believe the reports from camp were very positive on Josh Meyers and only "negative" notes were when he has some dissagreement with Aaron Rodgers. Even AR praise him. And Newman.

Regarding LG you'll like to play JRJ instead of Patrick and Braden instead of Taylor? Tell us your opinion who should be at starting OL.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:22 am

It is really hard to compare players this off-season, since we can't assume guys like Burks, Lancaster and Lowry haven't improved, in fact, there were reports along the way that L&L both had better camps this summer.
Honestly, the only guys we got to see in the preseason games who "are important" to me are Love, Hill, Taylor, and Heflin. All of them impressed me to the point that I see them (except Love, hopefully) getting meaningful snaps. The rest, barring catastrophic injuries, will spend most of this year on the bench.
I did see considerable promise in some of the other young guys, but that won't be meaningful until next year's roster decisions.
The 2021 Packers roster looks EXTREMELY good to me right now.

August 29, 2021 at 10:35 am

Lowry had a good camp and batted down a fair number of passes.

Coldworld's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:44 am

Lowry is Lowry. Give me Keke, Heflin, Slaton, Clark in combination and we are more penetrative and better against the run as well as being less reliant on the right personnel for the call or just tempting adjustments. Lowry screams “run at me”.

Swisch's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:25 am

In agreement with TGR, I was glad to see Begelton show well, and hopes he gets a long look from the Packers; but Taylor seems even better.
It seems Taylor really stands out for speed, quickness, agility, separation, and ball skills. He may already be at the caliber of a WR3 in the NFL, even if he is lower with the Packers.
A lot depends on what the coaches are seeing in practice with Begelton and Taylor.
I'm rooting for Begelton to at least make the practice squad.
As far as Taylor, watch out for this guy perhaps becoming a starter next year for the Packers or some other team. He'll be fun to watch in the meantime to see how far he goes. He may have that certain something in terms of a knack for the position and a drive to excel.
What a pleasant surprise in Taylor. He was a highlight of this preseason, perhaps the shiniest star!

Packers0808's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:28 am

Have a feeling you will see a couple or more guys picked up from other teams cut lists!

jurp's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:43 am

I remember the days when the Packers final roster was essentially a bunch of placeholders, released a day or two later after we picked up a bunch of other teams' castoffs. Those were the days when getting over .500 was considered a highly successful season and the playoffs were a distant memory.

greengold's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:33 am

SO many great comments in here by you and others, TGR.

I’m very much agreeing Wilborn & McDuffie will likely be better than Burks & Summers. That should be a clean swap, but, maybe this staff feels Burks can flourish under Barry. I don’t see it, personally. Ray Wilborn has great instincts, run stop & coverage. He’s a former Safety too, offering more interchangeable options.

McDuffie looks like he really struggles in coverage, but, he’s got speed & instincts to get to a ball carrier to finish plays. He’s not a whiffed.

Was hoping for more from Uphoff, but he did make some good plays. Gaines too, far more good than bad. Uphoff is both raw and loaded with potential. I’m thinking Gutekunst tries to protect him, ala Nijman these past two years. I like Vernon Scott and Henry Black too. Tough calls there at S.

Farris and Denmark both made a handful of great plays, and I think Denmark makes this roster, with Farris the PS, and Yiadom out.

I think our DL was misused by Pettine, and that Lowry might be way better under Barry. Heflin should win over Lancaster, but, maybe he’s that 6th DL.

August 29, 2021 at 03:15 pm

Mcduffie I'd s 6th rookie who might need time and experience (like AmRod needs time as folks are reminding me).

greengold's picture

August 29, 2021 at 05:47 pm

Good point. McDuffie will need that development like any other player. He really does have a nose for the ball. If the play is away from him, he’ll try to get there.

Rereading this after rewatching… there’s not much to pick apart, TGR. I do think Henry Black made yet another good showing. I’m a huge Gaines and Uphoff fan, but I also am high on Black and Scott. I like our Safety situation a lot, and feel it will be WAY better than what we’ve known with Greene and Redmond at the 3/4. Gaines and Uphoff, while making a mistake or two, made more good plays to tip the scales. Great group there.

I’m reading Summers/Burks much like yourself, thinking their deficiencies are well known, and this was a day for their competitors to prove they belong. I’m convinced Ray Wilborn won a spot last night.

jont's picture

August 29, 2021 at 10:53 am

So what about Love?

We all see some good stuff and some not so good... about what I'd expect at this stage for a 1st rounder who sat for a year. I'm glad he's not our starter and hope for a good year of growth before 12 moves on.

Meanwhile, I've watched the Bears' games to see Fields. Desperate for a decent QB, many Bears fans are hoping he'll start. He's clearly not ready, but from my armchair he looks closer to starting than Love does. Early returns and just a fan's view, but I confess I am not as comfortable with Love as I'd like to be.

greengold's picture

August 29, 2021 at 11:49 am

Hi jont, saw JL’s stats in his first preseason action we’re very close to AR’s, but slightly better with nearly identical reps. Love is going to be fine playing 1s vs. 1s.

croatpackfan's picture

August 30, 2021 at 11:34 am

Do not forget that Fields are playing with starters (does not matter how bad they sucks), while Jordan was playing behind 2nd and 3rd row players. He did not play this preseason with 1st unit against any team and he played against Bills starters, which is important.

I did not get Bears (have no patience for that), but it may be very important with whome on the field you plays...

croatpackfan's picture

August 30, 2021 at 11:48 am

You can find pretty short but good analyse of Jordan love preseason play:

jhtobias's picture

August 29, 2021 at 05:03 pm

This is a very very deep team agreed. Starting two safeties are studs but the depth is very concerning .. Game was way to fast for any of the back up safeties yesterday which is concerning because on of them is going to be counted on .. I did forget Scott did not play so maybe he is the key ..

Not concerned about the 5th or 6th corner on the team because truth is if they have to be counted on for meaningful snaps except for special teams it is game over anyhow..