Packers Sign Dietrich-Smith; Newhouse To IR

Evan Dietrich-Smith is back with the Packers.

The Packers annouced the signing of offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith and the move of rookie offensive linemen Marshall Newhouse to Injured Reserve.

From the Packers:

Dietrich-Smith, a 6-foot-2, 308-pound second-year player out of Idaho State, appeared in 13 games for the Packers as a rookie last season, primarily on special teams. The only non-drafted rookie to make the Packers’ opening-day roster in 2009, Dietrich-Smith was released by Green Bay in the final roster cutdown this season. He was then claimed by Seattle, where he was inactive for the first four games of the season before being released on Oct. 5. Dietrich-Smith will wear No. 62.

Newhouse, the second of the Packers’ two fifth-round picks in 2010, was inactive for all 15 contests this season.

Newhouse is the 15th player placed on IR for the Packers for the 2010 season.

PackRat's picture

December 31, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Hope Newhouse gets better soon ;)

wgbeethree's picture

December 31, 2010 at 01:34 pm

I'm usually not one to question roster moves but Newhouse and/or McDonald had better contribute at some point during their careers or I'm gonna be slightly upset. Grant is healthy enough to play now (and has been for awhile). If neither of them are ever active for a game as a Packer(which I'm thinking will be the case for at least one of them)IRing Grant instead of stashing him away at the end of the roster for the closing stretch and playoffs will be a MAJOR mistake IMO. It sure would have been nice to have him available.

cpheph1's picture

December 31, 2010 at 03:54 pm

Sure, it'd be nice to have Grant but then I'd have to be totally displeased with BJack + J.Kuhn at RB, which I'm not...IOW, I basically disagree but understand your POV.

wgbeethree's picture

December 31, 2010 at 04:30 pm

You don't have to be totally displeased with BJax and Kuhn. I'm certainly not. I'd be more pleased with Grant, BJax, and Kuhn though. Grant is simply a better player than those two. If keeping two players on the roster that are never active for a single game in their Packers careers (the hypothetical, yet probable IMO, qualifier I placed on my comment) is the "reason" we don't have Grant I'll be a little upset/wonder might have been. I hope Newhouse and McDonald both have long outstanding careers for the Packers and make this an irrelevant "worry".

Bearmeat's picture

December 31, 2010 at 01:58 pm

Comlpletely. Agree.

KurtMc's picture

December 31, 2010 at 08:07 pm

hhhhhMMMMMM - If Grant is healthy, he should be playing, at least a few runs or decoy. You want your best players on the field. Has he been at practice?

Another puzzler from Mystery Man TT

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Not a puzzle at all. Grant was placed on I.R. long ago.

norman's picture

January 01, 2011 at 12:25 pm

How in the world did Newhouse get hurt bad enough to go on IR if he's never even been active? Did he slip in the shower after practice?

redlights's picture

January 02, 2011 at 10:34 am

Since they're not going to play today anyway; IR them and bring back a player that may contribute as a back-up center next year.

Again, with CBA in flux; the teams with the least amount of offseason transitioning will start the fastest. Smart move.