Packers Question of the day - Takeaways from the loss

The "takeaways from the loss" title is beginning to become way too redundant, and that's concerning.

The Packers fell for the fourth-straight week to a team that they should've defeated. Riding the arm of Aaron Rodgers, who once again turned in a fantastic performance, the defense couldn't make crucial stops when needed. That's even with Clay Matthews back in the lineup after missing the last three games.

What are your thoughts after the loss, and... well, what now?

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

zoellner25's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:08 am

We aren't making the playoffs, its over. Time to re-evaluate everything this franchise does, from Ted down to the punter. The talent, the coaching and the performance isn't good enough to win another SB.

jh9's picture

November 22, 2016 at 09:09 pm

This season is essentially over. The ship has taken on too much water and is going down.

It’s sad, really. Going in to the 2015 season I was full of hope. We had a solid offense and a okay defense with quality players at all key positions (except ILB) under contract for at least the 2015-16 seasons all being led by a All Pro quarterback--a potential HOFer. I felt sure these next two years (2015, 2016) would deliver back to Green Bay another Lombardi Trophy or two. Boy, was I wrong.

Yes, we’ve had injuries to key personnel over the last two years. And that can explain most of what happened in Washington with our CB situation and last year with our receivers and the loss of Jordy. But it can’t explain everything.

It can’t explain last year how we could start out 6-0 and then fall completely apart. It can’t explain how we could score 24 points against Atlanta in the 1st half this year and then score only 8 in the 2nd half. It can’t explain how the Packers showed up against both Indianapolis and Tennessee unprepared and unmotivated. And it certainly can’t explain the diminished play of Aaron Rodgers over the past year or so.

Looking back, I can’t shake the feeling that something profound happened to this team when we lost to Seattle in the NFC playoff game in 2014. That loss felt bad, of course, but I didn’t realize it at the time how bad that loss actually might have been. The Packers were up 16-0 at halftime, tied at the end of regulation play at 22, and we lost that game in overtime 28-22.

After that game I can remember reading the posts here at CHTV, about how MM became conservative in the 2nd half and “took his foot off the pedal.” I remember watching the game and seeing how in the 1st half Seattle couldn’t stop our offense when Cobb lined up in the backfield. And then seeing us not run that same formation in the 2nd half and asking myself, “Why?” I know there are those who will blame the loss on the TE that shall not be named for the dropped onside kick. But that, in my opinion, wasn’t the reason we lost that game. We lost the offensive momentum in the 2nd half and let Seattle back into the game. That’s what I saw. That’s what I felt.

Then came the 2015 season. We started out great, but we saw things happening on the sidelines. Things like an argument between Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy and AR throwing his computer pad on the ground in disgust in another game. Then, all of a sudden, AR began losing it. He started missing his throws to wide open receivers. He started making bad decisions. His once flawless mechanics seemed to have abandoned him. And as his play diminished so did the play of the Packers. We started out 6-0 and ended up 10-6. We went 4-6 for the remainder of 2015.

Now, in 2016, we start out 4-6 and it looks like we will not even finish 8-8. How could this be? How did everything go wrong so quickly? Like the Titanic striking an iceberg, we stand on the deck dumbfounded. We can’t believe what’s happening and it’s only a matter of time before the realization strikes us that things won’t get better.

We need a new HC and coaching staff. Many of the contracts we had in place at the start of 2015 are ending so we might as well get a new GM, too. Or, maybe, TT gives Wolf the assignment to find a new HC for next year while TT works out the remainder of his contract. In 2018, Wolf takes over as GM, with his handpicked HC in place with one year already under his belt.

We were close, and now it’s over. It’s sad, really sad...

Tundraboy's picture

November 22, 2016 at 08:51 pm

I still can't believe we lost that NFCG. It is something I wondered then if we would ever live that down. If I feel that way, I wonder how the players and even the coaches can ever be the same. Wasn't bad luck or a bone headed play, it was classic allow your opponent to get back in the game. They blew it, and in embarrassing fashion. Maybe ARod, Cobb, Jordy and us all need a fresh start.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:18 am

Sucks to know that your season is essentially over before week 12.

I'm at a cross roads.

I never want to give up on a season. Ever!

They still are not mathematically eliminated and I don't see either the Lions or Vikings running away from anyone. The Packers final games are winnable, at least in the sense that those teams aren't great. There is only 1 guaranteed loss and that is Seattle.
I don't see it happening, but if they ran on a run made the playoffs, they would be one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs. And in the playoffs you just have to go on a run.

However with the way they are playing, playoffs would simply be a miracle.

I don't want to give up. But I think it maybe the best to lose out. Get a higher draft pick, changes some coaches/gm around.

zoellner25's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:27 am

Its almost funny, just last week I looked at my favorite mock draft site (Walter Football) and saw they had the Packers picking 12th. I thought to myself, no way they are picking that low. But now, I believe it. We are awful.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:48 am

I just saw CBS had them picking 11th.

Honestly, a top 10 pick could revive our roster. essentially our 2nd round pick wouldn't be much worse then where our normal first round pick would be.

Look at what 1 draft did for the Cowboys.

badaxed's picture

November 21, 2016 at 04:36 pm

TT would trade a top ten pick for four 7th rounders. Its all about quantity AT THE BUFFET TABLE TO HIM, NOT QUALITY.
Nothing changes with the white zombie, or the packers as long as he is at the helm.

NickPerry's picture

November 22, 2016 at 07:15 am

I have a hard time giving the Cowboys and Jerry Jones kudos for anything. Jerry fired or forced out Jimmy J which has to rank in the top 3 dumbest moves of all time. BUT, the Cowboys are now a young well coached team, one that whipped the crap out of the Packers in every phase of the game. At this point in time the Cowboys have a much, much, better roster than the Packers top to bottom and it's not even close.

WKUPackFan's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:52 am

That is a fun site. Check out Walt's Jerks Of The Week entries, hilarious!

However, as I delved into it I realized that Walt really has no football background at all. Interesting stuff, and their mocks are religiously updated. Just not sure about their underlying expertise.

KenEllis's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:27 am

RELAX.

Just like the Pack's organization has been RELAXING since 2010.

TT has already turned the 2017 draft and is licking his chops over several undrafted free agents.

We are a really young team that will only get younger when Peppers, Lang, and probably Shields are gone after this season.

TT has plenty of cap room to pay his guys like Datone Jones and Micah Hyde.

Again RELAX.

al bundy's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:51 am

I hope your being sarcastic. Ted T is the problem. He has no idea what talent is, maybe he can get some more collete guys from the powerful pac 10. Those 5'9 guys like Davis who light it up consistently, and Ted can spend the limit bringing back Perry and Datone, wow those two really made the pass rush awesome this year. Lets not forget to make sure we renew Mathews contract too before some one grabs him also.

SpudRapids's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:56 am

"He has no idea what talent is"

why do you say things that are just blatantly idiotic. Pretty sure he's had some pretty outstanding draft picks. He's also had big busts as well but that doesn't justify vomiting emotional extremes onto the keyboard does it?

November 21, 2016 at 11:51 am

Personnel tend to be cyclical and that's what the NFL wants...just not so extreme highs and lows. Some people don't want to realize that TT built everything we've observed recently, including the SB winning club in 2010. That doesn't excuse him for some of the issues they face now, but to say he suddenly can't identify talent at all is radical overstatement.

Tundraboy's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:21 pm

"... vomiting emotional extremes onto the keyboard does it?"

Awesome description of unfiltered, knee-jerk idiocy.

zoellner25's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:31 am

I thought Trent Dilfer said it best about this team on Sunday pregame show. Because 12 has been so good for so long, MM (and the franchise) has become complacent and almost lazy with his game planning, play calling, etc. MM thinks no matter what happens, 12 can bail them out. Well, he can't bail them out of having to score over 40 points every freaking game.

SpudRapids's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:01 am

"MM (and the franchise) has become complacent and almost lazy with his game planning, play calling, etc."

As I said above this is another ridiculous statement. You think McCarthy just wakes up and says "we are good enough." You don't make the playoffs 7 straight years with that mentality.

Only the Patriots have a streak that long... the Patriots... the golden goose of the NFL. If you are going to sell out McCarthy and the franchise for one season of not making the playoffs than you need a reality check. By the way the next time you don't do your job as good as the previous 7 days I hope your boss fires you... (just kidding but that is the type of rationale you are using.)

Razor's picture

November 21, 2016 at 03:22 pm

Hey Spud - MM & TT have had 11 years to do their thing. Are they terrible - no. Is this team trending up or down since 2010 - down. It's not just this season and it's not just this last game. Ted and Mike have had their chance and it's not working. Not enough talent on the team or in the coaches.

By the way - how hard is it to win the NFC north? How embarrassing were the playoff losses to the Giants, 49ers, Seattle, Seattle & Arizona? Was it a lack of talent, poor coaching, poor game management or what?

I don't know exactly and I don't really care because the bottom line is disappointment, frustration and embarrassment.

And please, let's not add to the frustration by hoping that this season turns around. That's what we were thinking before the season started. Or hoping that Barclay improves, that Janis wakes up, that Micah gets faster and tackles better, that Lacy gets fit, that Starks doesn't drop the pass or fumble, that Richard Rodgers gets faster, breaks tackles and catches the ball.

Time for change. Retire Ted, promote Elliot Wolf, release McCarthy, hire a new head coach and move on. I would rather see the team go 6-10 next year than have Ted and Mike still hanging around.

badaxed's picture

November 21, 2016 at 04:40 pm

DITTO!

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:11 pm

Agreed!

Tundraboy's picture

November 22, 2016 at 08:55 pm

Spot on. Razor for team president! I look at the remaining schedule and do not see how we win more than 1 game. I hope they lose out so we can make the changes needed so we don't waste the next 3 to 5 years Rodgers has left. A top pick in the first 3 rounds would be a welcome change as well, and along with a FA or two, we could be rising again not falling as we have since 2014. Not discounting better health but we need a big shot in the arm.

SpudRapids's picture

November 22, 2016 at 11:12 am

In 11 years they have a super bowl, multiple division titles, consistent playoff appearances... who outside of the Patriots have been better for that long of a period?

These embarrassing playoff losses you speak of don't exist. Most of them came down to one play outside of the giants and one SF game.

Think of this... if McCarthy's 5 playoff losses that each came from the final play go in the Packers favor he might be considered one of the greatest coaches of all time... that's it 5 plays could tip the scales that far. Until you can appreciate the nuance between the teams at the top and eventual champions you'll just continue to have unrealistic expectations and knee jerk reactions to adversity.

Tundraboy's picture

November 22, 2016 at 09:07 pm

Sorry Spud , but as a Packer fan for 50 plus years, the NFCG was THE most embarrassing loss ever. I remember a friend who is not that big a football fan came over to watch it with me. After a lot of food and beers he said with 5 minutes left the game was over he was more excited than I ever saw him, even more than me as I waited for the right moment to celebrate like a maniac. Beating Seattle would be the hugest redemption of my life, I thought to myself. So being what I thought was wise, I said don't say it, it's never not over til the last second He continued what a great exciting game, they definitely are going to win it. And then wow. Talk about embarrassment. I wanted to crawl into a hole til spring at the least.

NickPerry's picture

November 23, 2016 at 07:14 am

"Does anyone really want to continue doing the same thing and excepting or hoping for different results? I don't care if you place more blame on Ted or on Mike. One finds the talent and the other develops the talent."

Sounds like a clear definition of insanity to me.

Mark Murphy...Please go do EXACTLY what the last paragraph in Mr. Razors comment says.

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:42 am

Spot on!

Irish_Cheesehead's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I disregard anything Dilfer has to say. Guy is an idiot.

EdsLaces's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:34 am

I'm 31 ..don't remember the last season I wanted to lose out to try n get a better pick....sad..

idgafkurt's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:37 am

In regards to talent, or lack-thereof, if you take A Rod off this roster, is it much better than say the Jaguars or Bears???

I understand how depleted the secondary/LB core is, but the lack of depth is glaring and their lack of fight at the end is even worse. That latter is their poor coaching, the former is talent evaluation - the 2016 Packers greatest issue.

If this team goes 6-10, which seems fairly realistic, they need to start by finding a new GM, someone that will take advantage of all options for talent acquisition and look outside the Pac-12 for draft picks.

lebowski's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:38 am

New vision needed at the top. Our scouting department/ general manager tree has lost three top people who have done an amazing job building their respective teams; Reggie McKenzie in Oakland, Dorsey in KC and Schneider in Seattle. Please don't lose more while clinging to draft-only-Ted.

Big_Mel_75's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:49 am

Kind of frustrating when Barclay is first up when you have a young good lineman in spriggs sitting there. Barclay has been bad sense his torn ACL. Just proves TT has lost his mind. I love Janis but still can't run a route and catch the football. Ugh I'm hoping not to win another game so hopefully TT and MM get fired. At least TT.

November 22, 2016 at 06:05 am

Just another illustration of MM having a better player sitting on the bench while an inferior player is on the field. It is not new.

al bundy's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:54 am

The Pack offense did its job last night. Three deep passes for TD's was there undoing. Good thing they missed one extra point or it would have been a win by 21 points.
Just cant blame Rogers for the passing game, and Starks gave it his all. No one gave up.
Ted Gambled that you could get pass defenders in the late and undrafteds rounds and make a team of it. Now the fans and Offense get to pay for that mistake. One that cannot be corrected in one draft.

pacman's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:57 am

I've been a critic of MM and planning but yesterday didn't show that. It showed an offense that mixed it up and might have been able to win if there was any sort of defense at all. I don't know if any team could recover from so many injuries. But with CM seemingly in decline, Shields, Peppers probably gone and who knows if the other injured players will be able to return, it might take 3+ years to build a defense at which point AR will certainly be on the way out at 36+ years old. So trading him for some early picks might not seem so ridiculous.

It was fun while it lasted - except for those 3 plays that kept us out of multiple SB's.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:40 am

I thought McCarthy's gameplan /play calling was good. He did a really good job of mixing and matching. The execution wasn't perfect and it took them a bit to get going.
The biggest problem for the offense is they have constantly been playing from behind the last few weeks. And yesterday just as soon as they made a big play and tried getting some momentum, the defense turned around and gave up a huge play.

The defense has been terrible. And in all honesty if it wasn't for some dropped passes by the Redskins it would have been much worse.

Since'61's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:26 am

Takeaways: Defense, especially the pass defense is not competitive. The pass rush doesn't help the depleted secondary at all. Big plays and easy TDs are allowed on almost every possession. Our draft picks and UDFAs are just not working out. Gunther and Rollins are beaten by every WR they face. The more Joe Thomas plays the worse he looks. Except for Daniels the DL is porous.
Special teams have become a high light reel for how not to play STs. Can we chuck Janis before he gets a team mate killed out there? He doesn't belong in the NFL. Also, we need to chuck Barclay. Spriggs was an immediate improvement at RG.
Our offense still gives us a chance but they cannot keep up with 40 points a game and 500+ yards allowed by their defense.
I don't want to give up on the season but right now, for me, it's difficult to see how this will get turned around. Thanks, Since '61

November 21, 2016 at 10:40 am

"Takeaways: Defense, especially the pass defense is not competitive. The pass rush doesn't help the depleted secondary at all. "

I've said for a long time that this pass defense has been one that relies on depth at CB, being able to cover just a little bit longer than other teams, and allowing the pass rush those couple extra clicks to get to the QB. Without that luxury on either side, we're seeing that more than ever...

Since'61's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Dobber - correct as usual. I don't think that any of us expected no depth at CB. Too late now, no help on the way. Thanks, Since '61

SpudRapids's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:04 am

Great post... measured, rational, and a much more accurate assessment of than all the bafoons who are calling to fire everyone in the organization.

dschwalm's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I think the word is: "buffoons"

Since'61's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Spud - I appreciate your support. I typically wait until the end of the season to review and determine what type of changes need to be made in management, coaching and players. Sometimes when the season is slipping away, that is the time when you find out who really wants to play for and remain with the team. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Fackrell, Bradford, Clark and Eliot on defense for the remainder of the season. It looks like our only route to the playoffs will be to somehow win our division since we have lost all of our tiebreakers in the conference except for the Giants. We're basically in a situation where we can't afford to lose another game and I just don't see the defense turning it around to where they can compete and shut down an opponent which is a necessity to go on any type of run. Rollins and Gunther just can't get the job done and there is no one behind them. Don't mind getting beat if we're competitive but being embarrassed every week gets old fast. Thanks, Since '61

SpudRapids's picture

November 21, 2016 at 02:51 pm

We actually have a good shot of the division record tie breaker if we can win out in the division. It's probably a lot to ask but the reality is our chances are about 11% to make the playoffs. I think they were worse the in 2010 and 2012

Since'61's picture

November 21, 2016 at 06:12 pm

Spud - you are correct, we still have a chance but we need to be able to play defense at some level. After the last 2 weeks, 3 and out against the Packers defense means that it takes 3 plays for the opposing offense to score a TD and then their out while Rodgers leads a drive to tie or take the lead and then the defense comes back on the field to give a TD right back to the opponent. Whatever chance we still have depends on the defense making at least a few stops per game. Thanks, Since' 61

Tundraboy's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:44 pm

At this point I'd settle for A stop. Preferably in 4th quarter.

croatpackfan's picture

November 22, 2016 at 05:43 am

Oh, Since '61. D brought 3 times 3 and out at the beginning of the game with Washington. What our offense did. They turned back the ball to the hands of Washington offense.
I'm not saying that Packers would win that game, but our offense did the good job to put Collins and Redskins rolling. So, it is the team problem, not only D problem.
So, "Whatever chance we still have depends on the defense making at least a few stops per game." is just what I'm saying. You asked for few, you got 4 times in that game. What Packers O did? They turned ball back to opponent's O. If Packers offense can finally start to use their chances given from D, maybe Packers have some chances for win NFC North. Thanks...

November 21, 2016 at 11:54 am

"I don't want to give up on the season but right now, for me, it's difficult to see how this will get turned around."

I think the return of Randall will help right the ship in the secondary somewhat by allowing Gunter and Rollins to return to their normal roles and take some of the heat off the safeties to cover up for the rest of the mess. As I understand, he's only just starting to run again at this stage and is likely a couple weeks away...

Since'61's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Agree about Randall. but I think that his return will be too little too late. Thanks, Since '61

EdsLaces's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:57 pm

I like Barnett but no need to wait that long for a RB. I like dude from Texas or Perine from OK.

EdsLaces's picture

November 21, 2016 at 06:00 pm

But like I've been saying all year .#McCaffreywatch2016

pooch's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:02 pm

With Ted never,makes to much sense

pooch's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:02 pm

With Ted never,makes to much sense

pooch's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:02 pm

With Ted never,makes to much sense

Tundraboy's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:47 pm

"A top 10 pick in every round."

That would be like Christmas coming early!

Glad to see you back Cow, now that we are all miserable too.

mrtundra's picture

November 22, 2016 at 06:41 am

I think TT will have to deal with TJ Lang's situation first. Lang will need off season hip surgery and is going to be a FA. I'm guessing TT's first pick is an O Lineman.

TarynsEyes's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:08 am

The fact is that not only is McCarthy and Thompson especially blind to the fact that this team has 1 grade A player in Rodgers,1 grade B player in Daniels, a very part time grade B player in Matthews, a contingent of grade C/ C+ at times and and overall grade of C- players in total, as are most here prior to yesterday. By Wednesday, the denial will again grab hold of the weekly rhetoric that the playoffs are obtainable and all is fine...success.

Change can only come from acceptance of issues, while maintaining ignorance is the return value in which we are being rewarded on display weekly for over three years and more so the last 20 games of utter decline.

I've felt it, seen it, said so often and me and a couple of others can only hope that the romantic never give ups, know it's time to give up and accept what it is and demand change.

Again, the issues for this team is deeper than injuries. Injuries only made it more visible than ever before.

Over and out....see you next season.

NMPF's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:34 am

Agree w/lions share of your assessment. As for the "Over and out....see you next season." Is that a threat or a promise?

SpudRapids's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:04 am

Hopefully a promise

WKUPackFan's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:36 am

Very hopefully.

JRome Coaxum's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:35 am

I am glad ppl are finally on board. I have been calling for Ted's head yrs ago. Any GM that continuosly keeps avg guys, is inept. For example, Micah Hyde didnt just get sorry this yr. He has been terrible ever since we were losing to San Francisco 3 seasons ago. He does not draft speed or size. He drafts for ball skills. Heads up Teddy you can teach ball skills, you cant teach speed or size. But then he drafts a FS project to turn into a CB with our #1 pick 2 yrs ago. He has doomed this team with his picks.

The actions that need to be done next season:

Keep the offense together, even though Rodgers has lost us some games with his play. Extend Cook, keep Lacy, draft a speedy RB, Keep Lang and that side of the ball should be at least good for 3 seasons. Also draft speedier WR.
On D, Cut Peppers, Shields, Burnett and cut the crap with UDFA becoming starters. The Randall project is done. Put him at his natural FS position and move HaHa to SS. He is more a box safety anyway. Does not have elite speed to make up ground over the top. Draft Shutdown CB, Interior D-Lineman, pick up Free agent ILB and OLB, and maybe a CB.
Cutting Peppers and SHields will free up 20 mil alone.

November 21, 2016 at 11:59 am

"Keep the offense together, even though Rodgers has lost us some games with his play. Extend Cook, keep Lacy, draft a speedy RB, Keep Lang and that side of the ball should be at least good for 3 seasons....
Cutting Peppers and SHields will free up 20 mil alone."

There's so much wrong with this paragraph...

November 22, 2016 at 06:44 am

Moving Randall to FS, Dix to SS is intriguing. Burnett is still pretty good at what he does, but he is a bit injury-prone. I'd have to consider whether Burnett could take over Hyde's position while backing up SS and still playing that ILB hybrid role. Cutting Burnett would save $5.35M on the cap, but he is an above average player ($7M cap hit for 2017). Of course, it exacerbates the CB problem, but the safeties would be better able to help our CBs. Hmmm....

Pack204's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:37 am

At least Hundley got his first career INT out of the way in mop up duty. All jokes aside the takeaway is the team has been depleted with injuries. The depth is poor as you can see. Even with this rash of injuries the defense shouldn't be this bad. TT, Dom and MM wear that problem. If you took away Rodgers this team would be maybe 2-14 like the Indianapolis Colts were the year Manning sat out with injury and the offense would barely put up 14 points a game.

I have always maintained that since the Nick Collins injury this defense has never been the same and they have never found a suitable replacement. Poor safety play has resulted in way too many busted coverage's and big plays given up at key moments in big games. That doesn't mean the corners are off the hook but poor safety play will destroy your secondary.

RCPackerFan's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:28 am

This team has been depleted by injuries. Not making excuses, its simply the truth.

And I agree that they shouldn't be this bad.

I do think that Thompson has failed to replace talent over the last few years. And he has completely ignored some positions which has really hurt the team in the long run.

He has simply ignored replacing some players. From Jonathan Franklin, Finley to Bishop, Collins...
The year that Franklin's career ended (his rookie year). They haven't drafted a RB since. After Finley got hurt they have drafted 1 TE since, (who athletically is in a different world).
These failures have added up over the years.

Nick Collins made up for a lot of CB mistakes. He was that good. It is hard to replace those types of players.

pooch's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:09 pm

How many bonafide all pros did T.T. draft...A.R.,C.M. in 10 years??? Throw in Sitton who he cut this year

pooch's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:09 pm

SpudRapids's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:07 am

My brother called it best... the safeties on this team are below average. I agree with him. When is the last team you have seen a safety flash. I watched the Vikings games yesterday and Sendejo is world's above HaHa and Burnett.

I think in the offseason they should try to find a veteran safety. Anyone know of any who is up for grabs?

Lphill's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:11 am

I am angry like everyone else fire MM fire Capers but if you think about it they can only play with the players TT gives them , no stud inside linebacker , no shut down corner etc, so in reality it's all on TT .

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:51 am

I agree while I am no MM DC fan...TT is the real problem. !!!!!!

Denise Chanterelle's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:23 am

IMO, the decline began after the 15 -1 season, when we were one & done in the playoffs to the Giants. That loss shocked me and doubt about the GM & coaching staff never left me after that. In fact, over the succeeding seasons my doubt only grew. And, I also question why this team has so many injuries year after year?!! It just never ends. Something isn't right in Denmark with that. I'm ready to roll the dice and have complete regime change from top to bottom. This organization is in complete disarray IMO.

JRome Coaxum's picture

November 21, 2016 at 03:49 pm

Exactly. We were exposed as not being able to beat man up then. That was wat 5 yrs ago. S yrs too late. Every yr whatever was a position of need he was 3 yrs to late resolving it. He has been the most stagnant GM since then. He thinks he is so much smarter than everyone else.

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:31 pm

You are correct I am amazed at how anyone could actually think TT is a great GM.

Handsback's picture

November 21, 2016 at 11:55 am

This team is done. They just got beat like they were playing 11 rookies in the defense. The STs have been bad or marginal for almost 5 years. The offense lost their RBs and their edge. For the past two years, AR isn't the player he used to be. That makes the offense very unpredictable in their performance. The Oline is beat up (most teams other than the Cowboys are experiencing like issues) and isn't giving AR enough security to run the offense they planned.

I really think Caper's lost the defense. They just aren't playing good at all. Rollins has taken a step backwards. I hope he's playing hurt and that's the issue, otherwise TT is going to have to find two new CBs next year. HHCD and MB need to be the playmakers they were suppose to be. MB, I believe has played OK this season. HHCD has had a few decent games, but nothing that points to him being great or even very good.

TT and MM will be in place next year. The remaining staff is very questionable and who knows what next year coaching group will do.

Razer's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I have pitied those organizations that realized their team is not good enough to compete for the top spots and must embark on a rebuild. While the Packers have been good these last years, it is evident that we must tear apart some positions, philosophies and personnel to build a better team. I am not sure how we go about doing this nor how long it will take but it is apparent that Aaron Rodgers will play out his years with the Packers and probably not get a sniff again.

Razer's picture

November 21, 2016 at 04:05 pm

I am having a hard time disputing many of your personnel calls and it doesn't leave me with much optimism. We will get younger, cheaper and farther away from contending. Not sure that we a ready to hear this.

badaxed's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:01 pm

Cow, I hope you are wrong and they get rid of the white zombie and Mc Fudge.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:24 pm

I have a hard time disputing this one.

November 22, 2016 at 07:29 am

Cow's post has enough verisimilitude to engage one's interest and fair chunks of it probably are correct. But it is a bit narrative-driven for my taste.

1. I doubt Taylor and/or Tretter are the OGs. Probably Spriggs, maybe Murphy.
2. Starks, Cook are iffy, but there is a decent chance both are back.
3. Elliott, Pennel, Schum are RFAs. Most likely they return.
4. Extremely unlikely TT's 1st round pick is an OL of any kind. Nonsense suggestion made solely to fit the narrative.
5. There will be 7 or more draft picks, this year taken much earlier in each round. Far higher chance of getting 2 or more impact players.

Tundraboy's picture

November 22, 2016 at 09:30 pm

Thanks for the more sanitized rational take on Cow's concept. I'm hoping for at least a new GM, DC and OC. That, along with higher picks and a FA or two would give us a fighting chance again with a brighter near term future. An upcoming offseason with a new GM and philosophy, is critical to this of course.

dschwalm's picture

November 21, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I love your post, Cow. there is a fine line between comedy and tragedy. I think now the packers have moved over to tragedy.

Packer_Pete's picture

November 21, 2016 at 01:19 pm

I think panicking and overreacting is never good. But it may indeed be the time for a change in management. Whether that includes the GM, the HC, or OC/DC and several or all position coaches is really way out of my league to answer.

But I do have a question that I really would like someone to answer. Not trying to be a troll or start anything, but the one thing that I keep hearing over and over again is the love for E. Wolf. Assuming for a second that Ted might be gone after January, voluntarily or not so voluntarily, why would the GM job be handed over to E. Wolf? Because he is Ron Wolf's son (and Ron has just as many SBs as Ted has as GM), or what has he done in the past that would give you confidence that he'd be the right guy? After all, while Ted may have final say over draft picks and free agents, it's never a one man show. So if one vehemently criticizes the current roster for lack of talent, then I don't think he would be completely off the hook as far as the current roster is concerned. After all, his duties are (according to Packers.com):

"His primary duties include coordinating the pro and college football departments as well as handling both college and pro player evaluation through film study, college visits, pro days, college all-star games and the NFL Scouting Combine. During the season, he is responsible for overseeing advance scouting of upcoming Packers opponents, evaluating potential free-agent signees and recommending player tryouts."

Again, just trying to understand why the love for Wolf, and not bringing in someone from outside the organization who may have different ideas and a different way of thinking...

Tundraboy's picture

November 22, 2016 at 08:19 am

Theo Epstein type of GM is in vogue. Young, fresh aggressive and especially proactive approach is the attraction, imo. Whether Wolf or someone outside, I am all for that. After last few years and fact that Rodgers most likely has 3 to 5 prime years left, the pondering TT approach does not leave me optimistic any more.

NMPF's picture

November 21, 2016 at 01:46 pm

Regardless of all the speculation stated above scoring 32,26,25 & 24 over the last 4 weeks should be enough to go 4-0, at least 3-1. The injuries this team has endured though crippling really have shined the light on the shortcomings of the draft and develop with little to no testing of the FA market to at least shore up the back half of the roster with some veterans.

Yooper's picture

November 21, 2016 at 01:44 pm

I agree with the experts who say winning in the NFL is "HARD" and I think that we have had a great team and players and coaches for more years than we deserve but I also think there is an "arrogant attitude" that surrounds are team right now that isn't allowing our young players to flourish, that doesn't have enough "Rah Rah" spirit from our team leaders and that doesn't allow for "Same old Same old" to be replaced by "Something new - Something new" - I am sorry to say and am also sorry to say that injuries are the underlying reason for this fall in our teams ability to win but my comments are my truthful attempt to say what I feel.

Ferrari Driver's picture

November 21, 2016 at 04:24 pm

There is nothing wrong with the Packers that 5 or so years of picking in the top 10 of the NFL draft can't cure.

Too many NFC North Championships and too many years in a row of missing out on the cream of the crop during the annual draft.

We simply have a roster loaded with marginal talent and other than Rodgers too few players that are "DIFFERENCE MAKERS".

Personally, I"m hoping for a miracle and the Packers still get in the playoffs and win another Super Bowl.

egbertsouse's picture

November 21, 2016 at 04:59 pm

I know this is blasphemy around these parts but Cow has hit the nail on the head, nothing really going to change around 1265 Lombardi. All the usual suspects will still be around next year and it will be business as usual in GB. They will build the Titletown District, the cash will come rolling in, and everyone but the fans will be happy. TT will throw big money at a couple guys, let a couple good players go, and sign some un-athletic, slow UDFA's and expect them to produce like seasoned veterans or high draft choices. McCarthy will trot out the same offense we've seen for 10 years. Dom will run his crazy blitz packages that he's run since the 90's. It may work and it may not but it ain't gonna change.

November 21, 2016 at 05:10 pm

Lets face it. 2 CBs are needed. None of the current Cbs should every be a starter. None have make-up Speed. The secondary must be reworked. Randall and Rollins are your current back-ups. Dump everyone else. enough is Enough.

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:19 pm

Can we please be done with the TT era???

lambeauleap's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:25 pm

I think my biggest takeaway is the lack of talent of this team. While I do think it's probably time for Capers to leave GB and MM might have officially run out of creativity to keep this relevant, I think the first person who should be feeling his butt getting warm is Ted Thompson.

We've drafted defense heavy the last several years and what do we have to show for it? That speaks loudly about our inability to scout well and/or draft well.

There are way too many role fillers and not enough difference makers. Hugely problematic. The in game graphic about the opposing QB rating against our secondary was embarrassing. QB's are at 130 or better against all 5 of our back end guys. We don't take away 1 receiver-we allow the QB to pick which one he wants and let it fly. That's demoralizing and exactly why we are 4-6.

I'm going to tread this lightly but IF and I mean IF Rodgers is the cancer of this team like he was made out to be last week I think someone has to start weighing the pros and cons of keeping him. I think we all know the value of Rodgers. I'd never suggest we cut him and start over and get nothing for him. But IF Rodgers is truly a huge locker room problem start exploring trade options. I do think at some point you have to clean house and find the source of the problems that have fractured the team. He may be too above being coached or refuses to work with guys to develop chemistry or what not but he's not above being removed from GB.

2016 season is over. I think that was obvious after last night's game. Now we move on to the future and I believe it should begin with someone new drafting our 2017 class and assessing coaches and players.

4thand1's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:40 pm

why do they pay corner backs so much? Losing shields and Eddie did this team in. And TT cheap ball doesn't help.

Rossonero's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:53 pm

Don't worry guys! Ted will draft some more former basketball and baseball players as our new CBs next year. McCarthy at training camp will be like, "ok guys first we're gonna work on some fly balls today, then our jump shot."

Rossonero's picture

November 21, 2016 at 05:54 pm

This team lacks leadership, plain and simple.

DrealynWilliams's picture

November 21, 2016 at 06:07 pm

Good to see so many fans not panicking =)

Curry Rambeau's picture

November 21, 2016 at 07:33 pm

LOL Season's over, corner backs suck, no leadership, tt & mm must go! CM3 is over paid, blah blah blah. Same whining for the last month. Sure is entertaining though.

Waxonwaxoff's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:13 pm

Great news, for the rest of the season we have no expectations...liberating isn't it?

Rossonero's picture

November 21, 2016 at 08:21 pm

Have no expectations, have no disappointment. It's a bleak mindset, but applies to the Packers at least for this season.

Rustyweezee's picture

November 21, 2016 at 09:18 pm

My takeaway; I can feel my NFL draft preoccupation starting up a little early this year. I'm past McCarthy's terrible, simple, exposed offense and onto which players just aren't good enough and look at the draft prospects accordingly.

After last night I think most of us would say we're still looking for cornerbacks. Perhaps true, but I wouldn't address that earlier than the 2nd round. The first round selection, especially if they're picking early, should be an outside linebacker. The impact pass rushers almost always go in the top 15 picks or so. It;s almost certain Julius Peppers won't be back next season and if anyone can tell me why Clay Matthews will return to the top of the league's pass rushers, I'd like to hear it. Because I don't see it. Peppers outplayed Matthews last night and he's almost certainly leaving. What does that leave us to think about Matthews? I don't think they cut ties, but the need to plan for his successor is upon us. Nick Perry is showing us that he's ineffective without a bookend OLB who's better than he is and Jayrone Elliott isn't even effective in the pre-season anymore. Kyler Fackrell still has time to improve, but a 25 year old rookie taken in the 3rd round is a long shot to become a top pass rushing OLB. Matthews was drafted in 2009. It's time to go to the well again, as long as they're drafting high enough in the 1st round.

Cornerback in the 2nd round. Book it. Shields could be done and if Randall or Rollins don't turn out, the next guy up HAS to be better than Hyde or Gunter.

Speaking of Hyde, let's also agree that hardly any of the Packers ending their contracts look to be a necessary extension. Hyde, gone, same for Peppers and Perry. The long shots to bring back could be a broken down T.J. Lang and Eddie Lacy, who's star is certainly tarnished, I think they Packers would love to have J.C. Tretter back, but they could lose out on a bidding war with whatever teams need a starting center. The rest are just depth, just like Hyde, and how much did Hyde help the Packers last night?

Other positions the Packers should address in the draft are WR, (yes, they need receivers WHO CAN GET OPEN), RB, but they need to find a middle round gem and it's very possible. Hell, draft two of them. And here's my favorite position of need for the 2017 draft; punter! Just as long as it's not earlier than the 6th round. I didn't mention tight end because the Packers need to address other positions earlier and even though the TE draft is heavy at the top, by the time the Packers might look for one it's likely another Richard Rodgers. Besides, Jared Cook may be the guy who gets a contract extension, and he looks like the best TE the Packers have had since Finley.

And if the Packers make a major move on who's coaching next year, Ted Thompson just may call it quits too, who knows? Could be a very interesting draft in 2017.

al bundy's picture

November 21, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I listened to Gruden praise McKensie for going out and getting - he named numerous people- free agent him that blended in with the young talent. Not just anyone but people who would fit the system. Must have named seven guys so anyone who thinks we can draft ourselves into contention is wrong.
Rebuild shopping list
1. Cant depend or rely on Lacy. That train has left the station, we need running backs plural.
2. Janis should be gone, he has done nothing. We need speed receivers to replace Jordy and get separation. What we have now are too slow and not big enough.
3. Team needs DE's and four three defense. Mathews is not realiable anymore and is not a pass rusher, let him play in the middle.
4. Need to reboot the entire pass D. Most of these guys are horrid. Here's where the new GM should spend the money on free agents and draft picks. It starts here. Rollins, Randle, Gunther, really are not very good. Second string relief at best. Shields brain is scrambled so he is done.

croatpackfan's picture

November 22, 2016 at 05:46 am

Your brain is more scrambled that Sam's is, so I am reading your comments with sadness for you...

croatpackfan's picture

November 22, 2016 at 06:26 am

I see, judgement is done. I will not be part of spitting on players or on coaches on this site (place, page). You are spitting on Gunter. OK, he let one long TD, but he was the only one who was running behind Redskins RB to prevent TD at the end of the game and he stopped him before he enters end zone. That is the effort you like to see from your guys...
Also, I understand that all of you wants to have premium players on starters, but as well as on back-ups and on PS. I'm asking you, clever guys to show us Packers roster with premium players on each starter and back-up position with salaries. I would like to know how you'll get them all and stay under cap! I really kindly ask you to give me serious answer.
You go to game with your second and 3rd stringer, because your starters are injured for most of the group positions (I'm talking about D). During the game you lost one very important guy (another starter - Blake Martinez), you lost your No 5th CB (you had only 3rd, 4th and further CBs), so you have to play your 6th option, or, better to say you are moving guy from one position to CB to fill for need. Oppenent s will play on your deficiencies, as Packer would. And they beat us. List of injured players during the game at Washingon: Blake Maretinez, Goodson, Kentrell Brice, Don Barkley. SO, 3 starters for that game and one back-up. Only Barclay was replaced with better player...
So, I will follow this page but till the end of the year I will never come here to discuss on this spitting any more...
It is not fair, and it is not how I see my love to this team... I think that there is guilty in every player and coach and person in organization on this.
Thank you guys...
EDIT: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/11/21/wis-1122-...