Packers Place Brad Jones On IR; Claim DT Green

Brad Jones' season has officially been ended by being placed on injured reserve and is being replaced on the roster by newly claimed defensive tackle Howard Green.

Former New York Jets defensive tackle Howard Green was claimed off waivers by the Green Bay Packers, the team announced Wednesday.

To make room for Green, the Packers have placed linebacker Brad Jones on injured reserve, ending his season.

Jones aggravated his shoulder in Sunday's win over the Minnesota Vikings, the same shoulder he originally injured back during training camp.

Green is a sixth-year player out of Louisiana State who was recently cut by the Jets, who the Packers will face this upcoming weekend. The defensive tackle has played in 51 career games including 12 starts.

Originally drafted in the sixth round by the Houston Texans in 2002, Green has also suited for the Baltimore Ravens, Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints since coming into the league.

With the status of Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins up in the air for this weekend's game against the Jets, the Packers had a need for additional size along the defensive line.

C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn performed as well as could be expected against the Vikings, but they don't have nearly the bulk of either Jenkins or Pickett. Green, meanwhile, is 6-2 and 340 pounds.

The move, however, continues to raise eyebrows about the status of Al Harris, Atari Bigby and James Starks, all of whom are currently still on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

If any of the three are to be elevated to the 53-man roster, the Packers would still have to make a corresponding roster move to make room for them.

Jones is the 10th player placed on injured reserve this season by the Packers.

hyperRevue's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:30 pm

I have to say, I'm liking all these moves quite a bit.

LB depth: check
DL depth/size: check

PackersRS's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:32 pm

Of course Jones goes to IR.
Of. Course.

JerseyPackFan's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:32 pm

Wow...We praise the guy for possibly ending Favre's season and in the end its his season that has ended. That sucks!

Ruppert's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:32 pm

This is getting ridiculous. Really. Best of luck to Brad.

PkrNboro's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:57 pm

got your joints straight yet ?

Ruppert's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:40 pm

Absolutely. It was a preventable injury, you know...

PkrNboro's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:41 pm

don't Bogart that chiropractor !

nerdmann's picture

October 27, 2010 at 07:51 pm

There may be something to what that dude says, but I'd like to see him give some references on it. Like back it up with factual references.
Which he has to date refused to do.

hyperRevue's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:32 pm

Also, as I said in the other thread, let's all give Chuck a round of applause for posting a comment prediction that actually happened. Has to be a first.

NickGBP's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:33 pm

HOLY SHIT. I can't believe it any more! It's almost to the point where you can just laugh knowing the next day there will be another catastrophic injury.

hyperRevue's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:34 pm

To be fair, I'd say there has only been 1 "catastrophic injury" so far this year, and that's Finley.

PackerAaron's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:35 pm

Agreed.

bogmon's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:32 pm

I honestly feel like Ryan Grant being lost had more of an effect on the team than Finley.

We had 4 TE's...only 2 real H-Backs.

ZeroTolerance's picture

October 27, 2010 at 08:58 pm

Doubley agreeded. Ted is doing a masterful job here.

nerdmann's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:25 pm

Another week, another starter lost for the season. Thank god TT has stocked this team with talent.

FITZCORE1252's picture

October 27, 2010 at 07:39 pm

I personally think you have to throw Grant in the same category.

hyperRevue's picture

October 27, 2010 at 09:10 pm

I don't think he's in the same category as Finley. Jackson has proven a perfectly capable running back (let's please not have this argument again). Quarless, Lee and Crabtree together maybe equal 1 Finley.

Ron LC's picture

October 28, 2010 at 07:40 pm

1250 yds. a year is greatly missed.

PackersThad's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:33 pm

I really hope Al Harris is ready to play this week!!

nerdmann's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:28 pm

How's he on punt returns?

Pack Attack's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:35 pm

Why does this raise eyebrows about Harris Bigby's health? That's not where the injuries are. TT will take as much time as he can to sort through LB/DLine before bringing either of those guys back. Why rush it when we're doing okay in the secondary w/o them and there are other pressing needs?

CJ in Guatemala's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:37 pm

This is what i think too, i mean you have guys that are "able to perform" now but they haven't had the practice time on their side. You can be in shape all you want, but there is game-shape too and that takes all the reps you can get prior to and during the season.

The decision has to come until week 12, they still have time to see where those guys are and the current DB line up is.

nerdmann's picture

October 27, 2010 at 07:48 pm

Harris and Bigby are vets. They know what they need to do. If anything, they'll have fresh legs and they'll be less dinged up than the people who've been playing this whole time.

Chad's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:42 pm

*sigh*

At least he gave a great interview last night.

I wish him the best in his recovery!

Cole's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:43 pm

Did they only do this because they really wanted the Howard? I think if there was a good possibility of Jones coming back this year they should have just cut Montgomery to make room.

lmills's picture

October 27, 2010 at 04:56 pm

I don't know about catastrophic...

RickyBobby's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:19 pm

no more full names.
from here on out rickybobby goes the "a-rod route" with the whole squad (try it - it's fun)...

good think b-chil got so many reps at OLB during training camp.

f-zom must have to pinch himself every day. undrafted. now starting for the friggin' Green Bay Packers. awesome.

i've been going over this upcoming game in my head and
for the life of me, i can not come up with a single scenario that has the stergers defeating our Mighty Green Bay Packers.

j-nel gets 2 tutties - and a-quar gets another one... book it.

PkrNboro's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:27 pm

alright, I'm in...
I guess I'll be "nBor" (whuh?)

I think they have a real chance against the Jets -- just look at the results.
We beat the Bills, the Jets beat the Bills
We beat the Vikes, the Jets beat the Vikes
We played the Dolphins, the Jets played the Dolphins.

Steady dose of BJAX.
And who knows what Capers will concoct? he's probably gone beyond the "dime" -- he's likely got a quarter and half-dollar defense already installed. Hell, there's probably a Susan-B-Anthony in the works.

I just hope they give the back-shoulder throws the "cold-shoulder"...

RickyBobby's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:33 pm

that'd be "d-cap".

keep practicing, though.
not bad for your first time!

PkrNboro's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:54 pm

r-Bob, or is it icky-B?

my bad.
I'll do better.

(I was under the influence of Ruppert's joints - which, by the way, are tough to light, but once ignited they pack quite a wallop)

bogmon's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:36 pm

Dom Capers' new scheme the

"Indian Head" Nickel Defense

hyperRevue's picture

October 27, 2010 at 09:10 pm

Permanent psycho package.

PkrNboro's picture

October 27, 2010 at 11:15 pm

or something like "Raji and the DeeBees"

thepretzelhead's picture

October 28, 2010 at 02:01 pm

The best ever....D-Drive

Mr. Bacon's picture

October 27, 2010 at 05:47 pm

If the Packers made the Superbowl this year, Ted Thompson wins GM of the Decade.

RickyBobby's picture

October 27, 2010 at 06:51 pm

"when" not "if".

Mr. Bacon's picture

October 27, 2010 at 07:10 pm

I am not sure if Mike McCarthy is a walking voodoo doll. Every time he smiles, a player tears his ACL. Captain Blood needs more souls.

Ron LC's picture

October 28, 2010 at 07:46 pm

OK, who is going crazy with that damn Zoodo doll?

TPacker's picture

October 27, 2010 at 07:17 pm

Do you guys think Al Harris will replace Tramon when he comes back or do you think he will be kept back in a nickel back role?

PackersRS's picture

October 27, 2010 at 07:34 pm

I thought Williams was the best corner on the team. Yet Capers put Woodson on Santana Moss and Brandon Marshal. Both had big games.

I hope that, with Williams on Moss the whole game, Capers has learned. Or perhaps he thought that Harvin was the biggest threat.

bogmon's picture

October 27, 2010 at 08:13 pm

I have a feeling it's not necessarily who's the biggest threat, but how they match up physically on defense.
Moss is tall and fast...I don't think that suits Woodson's skill set...but he is able to muscle different body types.

If I were Dom I'd bring back Al as secondary one on one guy...use Tramon as the primary one on one...then move Woodson around on slot receivers/ TE's; as safety help; and bring him in on run blitzes.

Jus' sayin'

PackersRS's picture

October 27, 2010 at 08:45 pm

I agree on theory. I agree on theory that Woodson should be matched to the thougher WRs.

But facts show otherwise.

PkrNboro's picture

October 27, 2010 at 08:57 pm

I think you might have something -- forget the zone, and put all the secondary man-on-man. Include Shields - he's fast enough to stay on somebody, too.

Sanchez will see it as coverage, and he'll melt down.

Hopefully, we'll get a sack.

Worst case: somebody drags Hawk for a first down, and we avoid a big play.

bogmon's picture

October 27, 2010 at 09:02 pm

With solid man coverage they prolly wanna have C-Dub shadow LT.

....good man-on-man would give Clay enuff time to get a couple solid shots on Sanchez and put the 'fear' in him...maybe force some holding/facemask penalties late in the game.
It's one strategy...

Boooo to the idea of Hawk having to make solid stops on RB's.

MarkinMadison's picture

October 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Tramon is entrenched as a starter. When the Packers were so thin at S I wondered if Harris and Williams would be the CBs and Woodson would transition to S. TT made enough moves at S that the idea seems even less likely, but I love the idea of having so many playmakers back there. I do think that folks are being over-anxious about Harris and Bigby being back. These guys still need to get in football shape, or they'll just be more beef for the meat grinder. Look at how many guys come to camp late and end up with hammy problems, etc.

TPacker's picture

October 28, 2010 at 08:27 am

I feel like Harris, just by judging by his condtioning this past off season as well as going into other seasons probably has remained at a level where he can go back without to many problems, albeit a little rusty. Atari on the other hand I don't know...

Shootz's picture

October 27, 2010 at 09:56 pm

What do you think the odds are that the Packers got this guy on board partly for his size on the D-line but mostly to pick his brain about their upcoming opponent?

TPacker's picture

October 28, 2010 at 08:28 am

Yeah, I thought the same thing...

thepretzelhead's picture

October 28, 2010 at 02:04 pm

xcept he scored-3 on the Wonderlic.
Just kidding

JerseyPackFan's picture

October 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Maybe we all need to send some good mojo to this team. This is a one hell of season of adversity, the fact that this team is sticking together through it all is amazing. If they play like they did Sunday night the rest of the way through, I really think this team has a chance. Now lets pray for our guys!

Ron LC's picture

October 28, 2010 at 07:49 pm

Dear Santa, A win against the Jets and a week off. That's all I want, please.