Packers Fans Enjoy Increased Team Coverage

This is one of those pieces about the Green Bay Packers that screams "offseason/preseason" and before there are games that count for us to talk about.

I'm taking a break from team news and topics to recognize how much change has come to the way that we get and access news about our favorite sports teams.

This goes beyond just the Green Bay Packers and the NFL.  It's in all sports and in any city.

With the advent of social media and services such as NFL Game Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket or even as simple as the television, fans of the game have more access to what happens in the game and a much bigger platform with which to share their thoughts.

A discussion took place last week about how legitimate someone's coverage of the Packers is if they don't live in Green Bay and near where the team operates.  To make that comment is to also be extremely ignorant to how many of us live today.

With it being as easy as a few clicks of a button to talk to and communicate with others that are far away, it has also become easy for those who want to share their thoughts and content, to do so.  That's the reality and to say that where someone lives either legitimizes or waters down that person's knowledge or relevance is foolish, to put it politely.

It used to be that if we wanted news on our favorite team, we waited for the next day's newspaper and read the articles, box scores and checked the standings.  Today, the most up-to-date information and analysis is already there for the taking before the game is even finished!

The beat writers, columnists and journalists used to be the only voice that was available to fans.  That is no longer the case.  Bloggers and podcasters now have an easy way to share their thoughts and recaps after watching film.  And we're all richer as fans for it.

That's not to say that just because someone played football and can explain the X's and O's that they're analysis and coverage of a game or the team is better than a professional beat writer.  But it could be and that's OK.  Again, we're all richer for it.

Watching sports information and media evolve over the past decade has been quite a spectacle.  The best part about it all is that only you can choose what you decide to read and listen to.  If it's for you, read it.  Listen to it.  If it's not, then don't.  But appreciate that you have that choice.

I'll leave it there and end by thank you all of you that are reading this right now.  Thank you to our supporters at CheeseheadTV and to Packers fans who give us a chance to share our fanhood with them.  After all, most of us are all fans of the same team and we can agree on this: Go Pack Go!

-------------------

Jason is a freelance writer on staff since 2012 and also co-hosts Cheesehead TV Live, Pulse of the Pack and Pack A Day podcasts.  You can follow him on Twitter here

NickPerry's picture

August 20, 2018 at 06:22 am

Having grown up in Minneapolis in the late 60's, 70's, and early 80's I know exactly what Jason is talking about....It was damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get information on the Packers unless they were playing the Vikings that upcoming week. I remember waiting until Wednesdays or Thursdays just to get the stats of guys like John Brockington or James Lofton for example.

Now I live in Los Angeles and there's NOTHING I can't find or don't know about the Packers. Cheesehead TV is far and away my favorite Packers site but I read all of them I'm aware of every morning and am grateful someone like Jersey Al has provided sites like CHTV for us!

Edit...There's an awesome podcast called "Locked on Packers" you guys should check out (Just another example). One of our friends from APC is the host and it's an excellent podcast IMO.

RCPackerFan's picture

August 20, 2018 at 06:41 am

I love all the team coverage now. Between the Press conferences that are streamed live, to TV shows strictly that revolve around the Packers to radio shows/podcasts that are centered on the Packers it doesn't get better then that. Then there are countless websites and blogs dedicated to the Packers. Social Media (Twitter) now to me is where I get all my Packers news updates. It is great getting live updated news the minute it happens.

The evolution of how we gain our information is truly incredible.
Unfortunately there is a lot of morons out there that try to take a good thing (news about a team/player etc.) and turn it into an argument.

Cheeseheadtv remains my favorite Packers website to come to. I love the content that the writers provide and I especially love the comment section. This is where we can "TRY" to have rational conversations about the article and what we love the most, the Packers.

Keep up the great work writers for Cheeseheadtv and lets keep the civilized comments going on the comment section!

Klincker's picture

August 20, 2018 at 07:46 am

4thand1's picture

August 20, 2018 at 08:08 am

Like Nick said, he's in LA and is a click away. I'm in the U.P. and can hop in my truck and be in GB just over 4 hours. In that time I can go on line rewatch a game, fast forward, rewind( ha ha rewind) thats term is even so outdated or find out anything in a few minutes. I've found that CHTV is great because of the different posters. We can be discussing anything and someone will post some breaking news that hasn't even hit the wire yet.

Handsback's picture

August 20, 2018 at 08:29 am

Over the years technology has changed the way information can get out to consumers. I remember calling Cliff Christl's during training camp to ask how the team and particularly the rookies. He was always brutally honest. I lived in VA so it was the only way to hear how the team was doing. That was also the time when long distance calls weren't cheap!
Now we have plenty of outlets talking Packers....there are quite a few of us that appreciate the volume and many who take it for granted. I must also say talking to experts especially during the draft makes it a lot more enjoyable.

So the more information the better!

Tundraboy's picture

August 21, 2018 at 10:23 am

Yes times have changed. I remember in 1996,after a huge win,I called a random number in Green Bay, to say GO PACKERS and let it all out. Back then the only outlets for information was Packer Report and for scores, at best four or five lines of news coverage that may have been in the New York paper. Sometimes not at all. I remember a guy I worked with in New York,who was a big Packer fan, who alway said the reason that the Packers got the least amount of coverage in New York was payback for all the years we were kicking their butts. Giants that is. Jets are a novelty anyway.

Spock's picture

August 20, 2018 at 08:49 am

Can't agree more with the posters above. CHTV is still my favorite site. Personally, I just don't like podcasts as I read way faster than I listen, but I know others love them. To each their own. :) I'm getting (getting?) to be an old curmudgeon so I don't do any social media other than this blog (if that counts as social media; I honestly don't know.). Keep up the good work!

WKUPackFan's picture

August 20, 2018 at 08:58 am

The combined visions of Jersey Al, Aaron Nagler, and Corey Behnke have provided Packers fans with amazing access to information . The blogs and other vehicles started by these gentlemen have covered the players, coaches, and front office in detail and also fairly, without any hint of bias against any individual.

Echoing 4thand1, I also enjoy the viewpoints provided by a huge amount of the commenters, especially the glimpses some provide into their personal lives. It may be extremely naive to think this, but I believe that the core group of longtime commenters actually care about each other.

Bure9620's picture

August 20, 2018 at 09:00 am

Totally agree, so many solid outlets, CHTV is one of them. I live in New England now so its fun turning on NESN and hearing everyone talk about "How much longah is Tawm gonna play?" Here, no other team exists but the Patriots, so the web coverage of the Packers is so key.

egbertsouse's picture

August 20, 2018 at 09:01 am

There is way, way too much “information” thrown at the fans because of the internet. I like the old, pre-internet days a lot better. And you people from NY and LA, what do you need this 24 hour Packer news for? You have actual stuff to do there, not like Oshkosh where all we used to do while I was growing up was fish, drink beer, and watch da Packers, hey.

Yeah, I need to change my screen name to “Cranky Old Fart.”

Tundraboy's picture

August 21, 2018 at 11:43 pm

Wish I ,could fish more.

Since'61's picture

August 20, 2018 at 04:53 pm

I grew up in NYC and have always lived in the NYC tri-state area and I can assure you that sports coverage is a totally different world now than it was back in the 60s.

In the early 60s if the Packers were not on TV I had to depend on the scores of the out of town games being updated by the announcers (usually NYG games) and then at halftime. The local radio and TV stations in NY were always pretty good at providing all the final scores so I usually knew if the Packers won on Sunday. Plus my Dad bought the newspaper every day so I always had the box scores and maybe a very short article on the Packers game in the NY Daily News or NY Times. Those papers also provided the weekly injury reports every Wednesday. That was it for a while.

Then I discovered Pro-Football Weekly which covered the entire league. Through PFW I founds ads for the Packer report. I subscribed to the Packer report only to find that I did not receive my edition until 8-9 days after the Packers played their latest game. So if the Packers played on October 1st, I received the Packer Report for that game on October 9th or 10th. By then the Packers had already played their next game. Jersey Al knows what I'm talking about. In any case, the combination of radio, TV, NY newspapers, PFW and the Packer Report were my life lines as a long distance fan.

Fortunately, TV coverage continued to improve through the 70s and 80s. ESPN made a big difference while they were still a legit source of information. Then in 1986 came WFAN in NY and Mike Francesca who started with a weekly NFL show every Sunday morning during which he discussed every game and every team. Then WFAN went 24/7 sports talk and Francesca had his daily show and great coverage of the NFL teams during the season. Finally, the 90s, the internet and now up to the minute every day access and ultimately Jersey Al and ALLGBP followed by our current CHTV.

I can only say that for a long distance fan it has been quite a ride but it has been worth it to become fully connected with the team and with my fellow Packer fans at CHTV. Thanks, Since '61

JerseyAl's picture

August 20, 2018 at 11:25 am

"I subscribed to the Packer report only to find that I did not receive my edition until 8-9 days after the Packers played their latest game. So if the Packers played on October 1st, I received the Packer Report for that game on October 9th or 10th. By then the Packers had already played their next game. Jersey Al knows what I'm talking about."

And despite the delay, I was still looking out for the postman on Tuesdays in hopes the previous week's Packer Report was in my mail.

Since'61's picture

August 20, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Of course!!! You and me both Al. Thanks, Since ‘61

Iain's picture

August 20, 2018 at 02:03 pm

I used to get my Packer Report quicker than that in the UK

Since'61's picture

August 20, 2018 at 04:55 pm

Probably because of air mail. With us in the U.S. they probably had some poor guy walking from Wisconsin to New York. Thanks, Since '61

Tundraboy's picture

August 21, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Yup. And growing up in Southern CT, I might be able to see a game on a NY TV affiliate ,especially in later years during the dark days. Loved watching snow globe games on black and white TV.

4thand1's picture

August 20, 2018 at 11:08 am

I spend way too much time in front of this computer. Wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of people that post in here got together face to face like at a Packers game. Not sure about cool, interesting sounds more like it.

JerseyAl's picture

August 20, 2018 at 11:27 am

We actually did that for a few years - something called "Throwback Weekend."

Oppy's picture

August 20, 2018 at 05:42 pm

Has throwback weekend gone the way of the dodo?

JerseyAl's picture

August 20, 2018 at 06:06 pm

yes. A heck of a lot of work for the organizers, who were doing it all for free.

Oppy's picture

August 20, 2018 at 06:56 pm

Completely understand. I never did make it to one. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.. but didn't.

PatrickGB's picture

August 20, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Right now I am in Canada. GBP coverage here is difficult at best. Over time Cheesehead TV has become my favorite site. The official site is too rah rah and not critical enough on the team. I love the writers here and The comments posted. I may not always agree but at least there is a fair discussion going one here. I would love to support the sponsors but they don’t sell anything I want. ;-) At least not yet. GPG!

JerseyAl's picture

August 20, 2018 at 12:32 pm

You don't want Packers tickets?!?

PatrickGB's picture

August 20, 2018 at 01:14 pm

Hah! Would love tickets! I would even drive down there sometime to watch. Thanks AL ;-)

Oh you mean BUY them?

4thand1's picture

August 20, 2018 at 03:52 pm

lol, free tickets for all posters.

korbie33's picture

August 20, 2018 at 01:14 pm

I left Wisconsin in 1966 moving to So.Calf I saw the first Super Bowl and have been a Packer fan since the early 50's. That being said I have lived on the West coast most of my life and getting Packer information has been extremely difficult. I mostly got a few specifics one or more days later from the newspapers. Prior to the new season I would purchase one of many periodicals containing Greenbay Packer stories.
What a blessing it has been with the internet and social media. I am updated on Packer happenings wherever and whenever I want it......which is often. Cheesehead TV is now my favorite choice for Packer news, with its varied and numerous articles. Your continued great coverage is needed and appreciated.

A Loyal Packer Backer Forever

JerseyAl's picture

August 20, 2018 at 01:51 pm

Thank you for all the kind comments about the site and especially about enjoying the comments section. I guess that means our efforts to eject the a-holes is working.

Spock's picture

August 20, 2018 at 03:20 pm

Jersey Al, Yeah, I would give the site an "A" on ejecting the "A"-holes, lol. Having to move from Wisconsin to Tucson, AZ, for my wife's and my health 13 years ago I can relate to the "3rd class mail" of Packer related publications. I kept my subscriptions up until my father passed away as I would send (the WAY delayed) Packer Plus stuff to my dad and he would share it with his buddies. It was sort of a 'bonding' thing with us. I'm still bummed that he unexpectedly passed on the year I was planning on surprising him with taking him to the shareholders meeting as I know he'd have loved that (I never made it myself because of the expense of traveling, but was going to do it that year, sigh). CHTV makes my day a little brighter and that is something for you and your contributors (and the great commenters here) to be proud of. I'm basically housebound these days but it feels a little more like I'm a small part of a community every time I visit the site. I can't thank you and everyone here enough!!!! :)

kfowler35's picture

August 20, 2018 at 05:13 pm

I remember being sooooooo excited when the USA Today newspaper came out in the early 80's. It didn't offer much on the Packers, but all NFL teams got the same amount of coverage at least.

Tundraboy's picture

August 21, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Yes. Only reason to buy that paper.

I bleed green more's picture

August 20, 2018 at 06:00 pm

Grew up and born in Wisconsin, was gone 4 years in service. We then moved back and stayed a few years, then it snowed so heavy we decided 20 in of snow and being snowed in all the time was a bit much. The 80s were bad for the Pack and watching out of market. I was lucky to catch any news. Then the 90s came and big satelittes came into play games all the time. I found there were many Packer fans all over down here and they were so happy when we won again its a different world today.

Packer Dave's picture

August 20, 2018 at 07:42 pm

I too enjoy this site's content and comments section. i've just started commenting myself but have been a reader for a while. It's a real treat to read thoughtful, informed posting. As a 5+ generation wisconsite it is easy to see that this place is for packers people.

jasonperone's picture

August 20, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Cheers to our readers and those who shared their thoughts today. I guess we’ll just keep on churning that content for all of you....every day!

Tundraboy's picture

August 21, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Keep it coming. You are the best.

PackfanNY's picture

August 21, 2018 at 08:31 am

Oh man have times changed. Growing up in NY in the 70's and 80's I use to wait for the Postman to bring the Packer Report each week. It came on Thursday with all the latest news from Ray Nitschke! Every little piece of info (including some curmudgeon fan named Ron Paque) was digested as gospel. The issues were staggered in the offseason but became weekly once Pre-season began.
I don't think some of the younger posters realize how scarce information was (especially) for a Packer fan (especially) in places like NYC. The first time I saw the Pack at Shea Stadium is a moment I'll never forget. I hate to go all Rudy but seeing the gold helmets with the "G". I was hooked for life. Now I attend a Packer game in Lambeau once a year and travel to some other road games. Information is 100's of sites at a click. Not sure if its good or bad but it changes your perspective. My son thinks this is normal. Not sure he realizes how fortunate he is.

Tundraboy's picture

August 22, 2018 at 12:00 am

Completely forgot about the staggered editions. That was rough.

4thand10's picture

August 21, 2018 at 11:21 am

I like the additional ways to get info. I was born in Wisconsin and stayed here. I have visited all over the US though. I just happen to like it here. Like the author said with the amount of info available you can absorb what you wish. At 45 yrs old... I really enjoy the video feeds, the comments and different people viewpoints of the exact same play.

Lately, The live game chat is super fun....I log in as Deepfriedcheese and chat play by play if I’m not busy eating and watching with family. I also like the way Twitter is linked to it....the memes, video commentary is a blast. With tech... I have always just picked and choosed which modes of tech work best for me. I’ve embraced it and it’s been fun.

Oppy's picture

August 22, 2018 at 02:14 am

This is easily the most "warm'n'fuzzy" comments section I've ever read through on a Sports site. Great feeling reading everyone's testimony to the old days struggling as a lonely Packers fan in enemy territory desperate for info (and how much it seems most of you cherished it in retrospect), and how much modern media has enriched your ease of access and facilitated an even deeper connection with the team and it's fans.

Great stuff.