Packers Daily Links: Green Bay Would Visit Philly In Playoffs

It's already been determined that the Packers would play the Eagles if they qualify for the playoffs. That and more in today's Daily Links...

The Packers know where they'll be playing if they qualify for the playoffs. "With the Philadelphia Eagles’ shocking 24-14 loss to the Minnesota Vikings Tuesday night, the Eagles squandered their chance for the No. 2 seed in the NFC and a first-round playoff bye," writes Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin. "The Eagles (10-5) are now locked into the No. 3 seed and would face the No. 6 seed on Jan. 8 or 9 in an NFC Wild Card playoff game." Adam Czech says to plan on a Saturday night game.

Perhaps the bigger news is, will the Bears have anything to play for on Sunday? "The Atlanta-Carolina and New Orleans-Tampa Bay games both are scheduled for 1 p.m.," writes Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Because the Packers and Bears play at 3:15 p.m., Bears coach Lovie Smith will know whether his team has a shot at the No. 1 seed before kickoff." If the Falcons and the Saints both lose, the Bears have a chance at the no. 1 seed. Remote, but a possibility.

Reaction to the Pro Bowl comes from the players via Packer Report. “I’m definitely excited about the recognition,” said Greg Jennings, who is going to his first Pro Bowl. “I’ve never been one to really worry about it. I’ve always wanted to make sure I’ve done my part, doing what I needed to do to help the team win, and if the individual recognition came with that, it did. If it didn’t, it didn’t. My mind-set has never been focused on individual first. It’s always been team-oriented first, and whatever comes after that is a plus.” After years of deserving to go to the Pro Bowl, Jennings finally made it.

Aaron Rodgers is the biggest Pro Bowl snub, according to Dennis Dillon of the Sporting News. "He has come back from two concussions this season, and anyone who doesn’t think he’s one of the top quarterbacks in the league must have had his or her noggin thumped, too," writes Dillon. "In just 14 games, Rodgers has completed 65.5 percent of his passes for 3,693 yards and 27 touchdowns with only 10 interceptions." How did Matt Ryan get in ahead of Rodgers?

Chad Clifton and Charles Woodson aren't worthy of the Pro Bowl says Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "Those choices reveal the flaw that annually marks the Pro Bowl, namely, that the people best qualified to vote, the pro scouts who watch film of all the teams all season, don’t have votes. The fans get a third of the vote, the players get a third, and the coaches a third. The fans voted Clifton the NFC’s top tackle and Woodson its top cornerback. Obviously that name recognition worked with players and coaches too, because Sitton led the guards in fan voting but was chosen only as an alternate." I still can't wrap my head around the Josh Sitton situation. He finished first in fan voting, which counts for 1/3. To not be among the three Pro Bowl guards that means he must have been voted around the fifth, sixth or seventh-best guard by the coaches and players. That's laughable.

Tramon Williams is more deserving than either of his secondary teammates Woodson or Nick Collins says Kevin Seifert of the ESPN.com NFC North blog. "If I had to choose one Packers' defensive back for this year's game, I would pick cornerback Tramon Williams over Collins or cornerback Charles Woodson," writes Seifert. "Williams has been the Packers' best pass defender this season and only one player in the league has more interceptions than him." Williams is an even bigger snub than Rodgers. Hopefully the All-Pro voters recognize this.

Alex Tallitsch of the Packers Lounge checks in on "the Bears Still Suck" chant. "I find it funny that fans so adamantly bemoan players for not keeping their mouths shut and celebrating excessively while turning around and doing the same thing they so vehemently disapprove of," writes Tallitsch. Colleen of Pocket Doppler gives her two cents too.

Is Aaron Rodgers one of the best players in the NFL? Kevin Askeland of the Record Searchlight finds out that he's not even the best player from northern California.

Rodgers was nominated for the GMC Never Say Never Moment of the Week notes Melinda Banks of Lombardi Ave.

Joe Jonas was at last week's Packer game.

Tony Wilson's picture

December 29, 2010 at 08:34 am

How is NY - WAS a 4:15 game? I thought for sure they'd be at 1...

PackerAaron's picture

December 29, 2010 at 09:28 am

Because the NFL wanted as many of the games with playoff implications to play the late slot as possible.

Tony Wilson's picture

December 29, 2010 at 08:36 am

And the Pro Bowl is a joke to people who really watch the NFL anyway -- fans and media alike. It's the All-Pro teams at the end of the year that really recognize players.

Tarynfor 12's picture

December 29, 2010 at 08:47 am

The Pack will put the bite to Vick
The Saints will oust the Bears like the Rams Or Seahawks
The Pack will melt Matty Ice
Packers and Saints in NFC...Brees tosses INTs and Rodgers throws TDs.
Packers and Patriots rematch...now thats going to be football.

Bearmeat's picture

December 29, 2010 at 09:09 am

Taryn - I wish I had your optimism. I wanted to Bears in the first rd of the playoffs first and foremost because I still think they are more lucky than good. But second because I wanted to their fans TO. BE. SHUT. UP. Now when we kick their butts on Sunday we'll get the "out team had no reason to play" excuse! AARRGGHH!
Now GB is going to have to go on the road and beat Philly (no easy task) then Atlanta (ditto). Don't get me wrong, they are the most talented team in the NFL, and if they don't turn it over and get to pass happy, they can do it. But it's gonna be tough. And waiting for Bears revenge is not going to be easy.

Tarynfor 12's picture

December 29, 2010 at 09:44 am

Optimism...we would be and go nowhere without it.But I feel the Packers are going to keep playing as they recently shown to be able.
What is the saying"it's not how you got there it's who playing hot when you do"or my version of it.
What helps also is we played two of these teams already and we are playing hotter than them all.
On another note,if the Packers play as in Det on Sunday,that is not what you want going on the road 3 times.

cow42's picture

December 29, 2010 at 10:20 am

the eagles' loss is A GOOD THING.

i could not care less about the following...

-getting "revenge" against the bares
-our potential path to the SB
-what the fans of another team thinks
-our potential first round opponent

we no longer can control any of that = wasted energy.

all i DO care about RIGHT NOW is GETTING IN.

as hard as it may be - don't look at the Packers' next opponent as the bares. just look at them as a team we need to beat to get into the playoffs.

1 win gets us in. with that much on the line, i'm all for playing against an unmotivated club's backups.

if the Pack makes the playoffs, their going to have to beat 3 good teams to get to the SB. the order doesn't matter.

as for "revenge"... wouldn't it be sweeter to beat them in the NFC championship game? in their house?

how friggin' awesome would that be?!

p.s. this bares team reminds me a lot of last year's queens team (health, luck, helpful sched., etc). their having a perfectly-dreamy season.

instead of farve to tracey porter, we may be looking at a cutler to charles woodson scenario.

the Packers beating the bares in the first round would be much less devastating to bares' fans than the Packers ripping their hearts out one game away from the super bowl.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 06:15 pm

I like the cut of your jib.

jay's picture

December 29, 2010 at 10:23 am

"How did Matt Ryan get in ahead of Aaron Rodgers?"

He has good special teams.

I'm actually pleased that we prob won't face CHI in the first round. It's difficult to beat a team twice in back to back weeks. Eagles got exposed yesterday, so that bodes well for that game. ATL can be had.

al's picture

December 29, 2010 at 11:37 am

i agree, i really hope the bears have something to play for and play all their starters the whole game cause i dont wana hear that BS from bears fans who you know are gona say well we didnt play hard and didnt have any reason to play for so thats the only reason you won! NO!! i wana shut the bears fans up now and prove right now that we are better then them, then again in the playoffs.

cow42's picture

December 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm

kinda like Packer fans saying the only reason the bares won the first game was because of packer penalties.

THE GOAL IS NOT TO BEAT THE BARES!

THE GOAL IS TO WIN THE F'N SUPER BOWL!

thepretzelhead's picture

December 29, 2010 at 09:59 am

"One play at a time sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking of you."

foundinidaho's picture

December 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

One game at a time, let's go get those Bears next week.

Because they...well, you know. ;)

MarkinMadison's picture

December 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

So one game at a time probably looks like this:

Chicago at home.
Philly on the road.
Chicago on the road.
Atlanta on the road.
New England in Dallas.

cow42's picture

December 29, 2010 at 12:14 pm

It would be atlanta and then chicago

bomdad's picture

December 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Theres a possibility of the NFC championship held in Seattle, who will finish the regular season at 7-9.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 07:26 pm

Don't be suprised if the Rams come out of Qwest Field Sunday with a division title. The hawks are playing some BAD football.

CSS's picture

December 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I realize we should all be prudent with the 'one game at a time' mantra (and I agree), but people should really take a look at the Eagles defensive roster, especially after last nights injuries along the defensive line. They are devestated. It's basically down to Trent Cole vs. whatever opponent.

The offense needs to go gang-busters, cause that defense will give it up in the playoffs.

bomdad's picture

December 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm

AP gashed them on D. But they looked equally impotent on offense. Its like Vick saw the probowl roster and packed it in. Salivating about Woodson doing what Winfield did.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 07:28 pm

I'm not counting on a performance like that in the playoffs from philly's offense... just not our luck this year.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 07:29 pm

Yeah, their D can definitely be had. If we get a couple turnovers we're golden.

davyjones's picture

December 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I gotta say, I'm kinda diggin' this Eagles match up assuming we win this weekend. Philly is not the team it was at mid season, and while we seem to be peaking at the right time, they seem to be going in the other direction. Vikes gave us some good film on how to attack them.

bomdad's picture

December 29, 2010 at 01:00 pm

Tired of hearing "we only faced Vick for one half"? Reply: Thats about all he is good for lately anyway!

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 07:31 pm

"Vikes gave us some good film on how to attack them."

So did the Giants for 3.5 quarters. Make Vick roll right and good things will happen.

PackersRS's picture

December 29, 2010 at 09:22 pm

So did we in week 1, when we didn't even gameplan for Vick?

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 09:32 pm

Very true. I don't know about you but I was shittin bricks at the end of the game with the ball in Vick's hands.

Gotta keep in mind though, going into the game Vick wasn't getting too many snaps with the 1's, it was Kolb's team. I don't think the Vick from week 1 is the Vick we'll be playing next week, I'd say he's much more in tune with Reid and his Offense at this point. I do like our chances though... really would be nice if Jenkins was ready to ball by then.

GBP 4 LIFE

PackersRS's picture

December 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Vick was in this same system in 09...

I agree that he's more familiar, but it's not that much improved.

We were able to keep NE's "32 ppg" O to 24 points, and 7 of those were due to a guard running 70 yards (/smh).

This D is for real. It has shown up in every game this season.

If the OL and ST don't completely screw up, I'm confident we can win against anyone anywhere.

FITZCORE1252's picture

December 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like our chances against anyone. I wouldn't bet against us.

I'm just saying Vick was never "the guy" in Philly prior to week 1 when we saw him, last year it was Donovan getting 1st string reps, this offseason Kolb.

I'm 100% on-board with this Defense. They've proven they're going to hold up their end all year. Every loss I put on the Offense or ST's. Losing 6 games by 4 or less tells me the D has been giving our O a chance to win it every week.

"We were able to keep NE’s “32 ppg” O to 24 points, and 7 of those were due to a guard running 70 yards (/smh)."

Pats scored 31. 7 of those 31 were from a INT returned for a TD, then there was the infamous 'return' which I can't put on the D (they could have kept them out of the endzone I guess, but you give Brady 4 downs inside the 10, it's not gonna be good). I put 17 points on our D that game. What more could you ask for against Brady! Especially when they were just rag-dolling good D's going into that game. Couldn't have been more impressed with Capers gameplan and the D's execution in Foxboro.

We're on the same page RS. Vick doesn't scare me (maybe just a tad), I just think that he's better now than what we faced week 1.

davyjones's picture

December 30, 2010 at 09:03 am

Very nice exchange, gentlemen...this is part of what makes CHTV so enjoyable.

Yes, Vick has looked human of late...he is very beatable and it seems his body has taken a tremendous beating the 2nd half of the yr. Even with rest this weekend, if the pack can hit hit a few times, he can be rattled and slowed down. Seems a key is to get some outside pressure on him while keeping some push up the middle to prevent him from stepping up (probably not all that different than other QB's). With Raji's outstanding play this yr, Packers ought to be able to do that. McCoy showed he is vulnerable in blitz protection--Woodson could have a couple of shots--but I really think Raji could be a difference maker against Eagles.

Of course, all predicated on the obvious--beat the sh!t out of the Bears first!