Packers Blog Roundup: James Jones As A Viking Irks Some

Several reports have the Minnesota Vikings interested in wide receiver James Jones. The Packers blogosphere reacts...

Several reports are linking wide receiver James Jones to the division rival Minnesota Vikings in free agency. As could be expected, Packers bloggers have weighed in. "Regardless of your feelings on whether or not Jones is a guy that the Packers should be signing to a long-term deal, I don't think that anyone will be happy to see him playing in Minnesota," writes Kevin McCauley of Acme Packing Company. "I won't begrudge him for leaving for big money because it's just business, but I sure as hell won't be cheering for him to do well."

In the Packers-probably-can't-afford-him category is Monty McMahon of Total Packers. "The Packers have had discussions with Jones, but the Vikings will probably drive up his price and push the Packers out of the running, despite Aaron Rodgers’ insistence that Jones should be the team’s No. 1 priority," writes McMahon.

Adam Czech of AllGreenBayPackers.com thinks the Packers should remain in the running to keep Jones. "Jones has teased us with his raw talent over his four-year career, but continues to drop touchdown passes and disappear for long stretches of play," writes Czech. "I’ve always liked Jones and wouldn’t mind if the Packers overpay a bit to keep him."

Daryn Colledge is gone, and the focus has now turned to how to replace him in the starting lineup at left guard. "TJ Lang, Nick McDonald, Marshall Newhouse and Caleb Schaluderaff become the natural candidates to replace Colledge, with Lang as the clear front runner based on his experience and being the back-up left guard on the depth chart," writes Thomas Hobbes of AllGreenBayPackers.com.

Another option to replace Daryn Colledge is listed by Brandon Benson of Acme Packing Company. "First round draft pick Derek Sherrod might have the first opportunity, but maybe they'll want to go with T.J. Lang instead," writes Benson. "This is a deep free agent group at guard, and it's not out of the question they'll bring a veteran either at a cheaper price." He's right that Sherrod might have an opportunity to play, but it's highly unlikely the Packers will look for a guard in free agency with so many options available to them currently on the roster.

Taking it a step further is Monty McMahon, who thinks Bryan Bulaga could be a possibility at left guard too. "If the Packers replace Colledge with Bulaga, it’s a good sign they consider him Clifton’s replacement at left tackle," writes McMahon.

The inside linebacker situation with Nick Barnett and Brandon Chillar possibly on their way out is covered at Lombardi Ave. "Would this also be an injury that might force Thompson’s hand in gaining a player through free agency? While we doubt it, that’s also certainly not out of the question," reads the post.

Reaction to the departure of Brandon Jackson has drummed up some reaction. "With G Daryn Colledge gone and now Jackson, the Packers pass protection has taken a bit of a hit," writes Adam Czech. "Neither Colledge or Jackson is irreplaceable, but both were better players than most people gave them credit for." Very true. Both were good pass protectors.

The replacement plan for Brandon Jackson is discussed  by Monty McMahon. "They drafted running back Alex Green in the third round of this year’s draft," writes McMahon. "Even if he fails to develop, the Packers are loaded at the position with Ryan Grant and James Starks." Not to mention John Kuhn playing a large role on third downs as well, if he returns.

Commenting on Justin Harrell's release is Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "The Packers finally decided that Harrell wasn’t worth any more money and released him on Thursday," writes Demovsky. "Harrell played in one game over his last two seasons. It was the season opener last year when he blew out his knee."

More reaction to the releases of Justin Harrel and Brady Poppinga appear at the Bucky Channel, Acme Packing Company and Total Packers.

A column on Ted Thompson is written at Milwaukee Brian Sports.

Packerville, U.S.A. has a ton of pictures from the shareholders meeting.

Packer Update says the Packers don't need Ryan Grant and his high salary. I disagree. It will be worth it as long as he's a regular contributor. Doesn't even have to be full-time.

Free agent possibilities are listed at packergeeks, but they're of the pipe dream variety.

The Rock 'n' Roll Cecil Club covers free agency, but their predictions on Korey Hall and Atari Bigby returning are a bit askew.

Brian Carriveau is the editor of the Maple Street Press Packers Annual. To contact Brian, email [email protected].

RockinRodgers's picture

July 29, 2011 at 09:12 am

I like Jones, but I would rather save the money and sign Sitton and Finley.

aussiepacker's picture

July 29, 2011 at 09:16 am

Agree! I think Sitton has to be a major priority to extend this year and finely as well as long as he doesn't ask for something ridiculous (which wouldn't surprise me if he does). Plus what do you think the chances of the pack trying to extend Clay and BJ this year?

RockinRodgers's picture

July 29, 2011 at 09:51 am

I don't know if they will extend those guys this year, but they have to start thinking about those guys soon.

MarkinMadison's picture

July 29, 2011 at 09:39 am

I wonder if the lack of an off-season is going to mean that the LG job is Lang's to lose. I just don't see the Packers trusting a rookie like Sherrod with such a shortened training and evaluation period. I also have reservations about seeing Bulaga go to LG, even if he is the LT of the future. Then you have two guys starting at new positions this year instead of one - and potentially 3/5 in flux if Clifton goes down.

I'd rather see Sherrod working as backup to both tackles. If Clifton goes down, put him in at LT or RT, whereever the Packers are more comfortable with him playing at the time. Given that Bulaga was always a LT before, I don't think he'll find the adjustment to be real difficult.

Sitton needs to be inked long-term this year. I wish JJ well, even if it is with the Vikings. This division is looking like a two-team race this year anyway, and the clear #2 is now the Lions. Mike Martz is poison.

PkrNboro's picture

July 29, 2011 at 09:44 am

I saw/heard something yesterday about James Jones not joining his fellow receivers (at the post-SB party?) on the podium -- because he was cold ?

Does anyone have a link to any further info ?

IdiotFan's picture

July 29, 2011 at 10:02 am

It's just the natural progression of life in the NFL - when you can't play for the Packers anymore, you settle for the Vikings. It's like when an over-the-hill soccer player can't cut it in the EPL anymore, he joins the MLS.

PackersRS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 11:24 am

It doesn't get simpler than this: If you play for a rival team, I want you to lose and will cheer against you.

Oppy's picture

July 29, 2011 at 11:51 am

Yup.. Play for another NFC north team, and you are now the enemy for the duration of the season.

Play in the NFC? I'll wish you well so long as it doesn't have a negative impact on the Packers.

Play in the other conference? Hey, Go get'em Tiger! Unless you make it to the SB and are playing the Packers. Then, kindly drop dead.

Wiscokid's picture

July 29, 2011 at 02:02 pm

It just wouldn't be a normal season if the Queens didn't try raping the Packers roster. They seem to do it every year but it hasn't won them a SB.

Go Pack!

Oppy's picture

July 29, 2011 at 11:51 am

Max from purple pants green jersey can't lose on this Jones deal.

MarkinMadison's picture

July 29, 2011 at 11:54 am

A couple of days ago, ESPN was looking at Chicago as a landing spot for JJ. They now have agreements with two larger wide receivers. Yesterday, Vikings talk was all the rage for JJ, but ESPN's NFC North blogger thinks that another player might be a better fit. Certainly no one is reporting that JJ has a deal with any other team. Same thing with Jenkins. I don't want to get my hopes up, but as Friday afternoon wears on and the rumour mill dies down, I'm starting to think that Jenkins and JJ may just be finding out that the green lawn on the other side of the fence isn't quite as tall and thick as they hoped it would be. And maybe, just maybe, one of them will come back to Green Bay.

CSS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Both the Cowboys and the Jets opened a bunch of cap space for Asomugha, I would wager the loser of the current bidding war uses the cap space to sign Jenkins. Especially Dallas.

Jones, I have no idea. Rams?

MarkinMadison's picture

July 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I wonder what the Browns are waiting for - they've got a lot of money to spend but Holmgren is sitting back. Sooner or later they will have to sign someone. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go after Jenkins. Their DL is generally pretty young (except one guy whose production has been minimal), and they might like a guy who can provide some leadership and production.

Rams are as good of a guess as any for JJ. I didn't realize how thin they were at WR until you mentioned it and I looked. They've got nobody, and could probably afford to pay JJ like a 1, if they wanted to. Cincinnati might work too, given all the departures. But who would want to play there right now?

BrianD's picture

July 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

The Browns signed BJackson. I think they're done spending and all set for a super bowl run.

Oppy's picture

July 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm

It should be noted that while Jenkins was clearly miffed at the lack of any offer to negotiate an extension from the Packers before he hit free agency last season, and his comments smacked of "I'm definitely Outta here", the last few comments he has made have been more along the lines of "Yeah, I was disappointed... But while I'm not necessarily optimistic, I really would like to be able to come to terms with the Packers."

Um, yeah, and those aren't quotes, just to be clear. But that was the subtle tone that seemed to creep through.

slapinem's picture

July 29, 2011 at 02:00 pm

Jenkins was pretty important to us last year,the D line just was not the same when he was out.

James Jones has talent and good speed but let's face it the guy has hands like rocks,let him drop passes somewhere else.

The one name I'm not hearing a lot of people talking about when the subject of free agents comes up is John Kuhn.Kuhn has been solid for us and with Jackson gone Kuhn could fill the 3rd down back spot quite well.....SIGN HIM!!!

CSS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 02:59 pm

Jets supposedly showing interest in Jones? Really?

PackersRS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 03:29 pm

Jones > Edwards

CSS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 03:32 pm

Oh, I fully agree with that. Just didn't anticipate the Jets in the bidding (though it makes sense). We shall see....

PackersRS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 03:36 pm

The Jets are the new Redskins when it comes to FA. They'll be in every bidding, don't matter their cap situation.

CSS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 03:37 pm

Agreed. I fully anticipate a Lebron James effect should they land Asomugha. Most fans will cheer for them to implode and underachieve.

I hope they sign him and promptly fail to make the playoffs.

PackersRS's picture

July 29, 2011 at 03:47 pm

Very underrated move: They lost their best front 7 player in Kris Jenkins. Though he hasn't been healthy, when he was he was dominant. They can't generate any kind of pressure without scheming, they don't have a single pass rusher on that team. And they still don't have the kind of passing game to scare teams.

yogamon's picture

July 29, 2011 at 04:06 pm

Never mind!

FITZCORE1252's picture

July 29, 2011 at 05:17 pm

You know... everytime I talk to Ted or Mike (couple times a day on the reg) I remind them to put a goddamn lock on our dumpster to keep them pesky biqueens out. If Jones wears purple, I'm gonna give them both a strongly worded scolding.

GBP 4 LIFE

lars's picture

July 29, 2011 at 09:21 pm

So, the Vikings will have an an aging QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn throwing to Mr. Butterfingers, James Jones. Bring 'em on!