One Fun Packers Pick at Every Position in the 2024 NFL Draft

The draft is supposed to be fun. Let's have some.

Quarterback: Joe Milton - Tennessee

Frankly, it would just be great to watch Milton throw rocket balls during training camp and the preseason. His physical tools are elite, and although he is hardly a project at 24 years old, the Packers should get back to drafting quarterbacks regularly.

Running back: Dylan Laube - New Hampshire

Laube is absolutely electric out of the backfield as a pass catcher, and the type of player any offensive play caller would love to have at their disposal. He also has some juice as a runner and would be a nice change of pace option from Green Bay’s current backs.

Wide receiver: Johnny Wilson - Florida State

Let’s get weird. Wilson is a 6’6, 230 lb receiver who somehow still ran a 4.52 40 and moves freakishly well for someone built the way he is. There are strong boom or bust vibes with Wilson, but adding a pass catcher with his profile to an already strong depth chart would be F.U.N.

Tight end: Ben Sinnott - Kansas State

Offensive line: Amarius Mims - Georgia

Mims is not Green Bay’s type as a supersized offensive tackle (6.7 ⅔, 340 lbs), and that is why it would be a fun pick, because it would be a surprise. He lacks experience but is a great athlete and would not need to start right away. The upside with Mims is massive.

Defensive line: Johnny Newton - Illinois

The Packers do not really need another player of Newton’s profile, he is shorter than they usually like and he did not do any athletic testing due to injury, but he is fantastic. There is a chance Brian Gutekunst simply does not care about variety and just wants more disruptors. Newton is that.

EDGE: Bralen Trice - Washington

Trice’s pre-draft process was… weird. He was listed at 269 lbs at Washington, then showed up at the scouting combine 245 lbs.

Trice looked awkward and possibly injured during the on-field drills and although his testing was pretty solid in the end, is it even accurate if it was achieved at 24 lbs lighter than what he will actually play at in the NFL?

All that said, Trice was a force to be reckoned with at Washington, racking up 17 sacks and 99(!) hurries in his final two seasons combined. Look past everything that happened between the end of the college season and the draft, and there’s a potential star here.

Linebacker: Junior Colson - Michigan

Colson might be the most pro-ready and reliable linebacker in this class. He did complete any athletic testing as he deals with an injury, but Colson shows the ability to be competent on all three downs and would be a great addition to a thin linebacker group in Green Bay.

Cornerback: Ennis Rakestraw Jr. - Missouri

A smaller cornerback who will probably not be on Green Bay’s board as a result, but he is so scrappy and fun to watch. He mostly played outside in college, with some experience in the slot, where he will likely end up in the NFL. Rakestraw is easy to love.

Safety: Kitan Oladapo - Oregon State

Oladapo is not getting enough respect. He was excellent in college, can do every single part of safety play well, and has good athletic testing too. That is more than can be said for most of the safeties in this class.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

Mark Oldacres is a sports writer from Birmingham, England and a Green Bay Packers fan. You can follow him on twitter at @MarkOldacres

__________________________

April 19, 2024 at 07:03 am

I'm going with Wiggins @ CB.
A Big mouth loner, who is the perfect
Alternative @25.
Darius Robinson is my guy on DL. @41.
And I still Love King Sua if he drops.

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 07:43 am

6’1 and 173 pounds. He is a little flimsy for my liking in the first. He’s a press guy with length but not much strength. He’s also a long strider. A 4.28 40 is blinding but yet his 10 yard split was in the bottom 25%. As a FS, that’s exciting, as a corner that’s concerning: he’s not a FS candidate with his build. His vertical is just average. Needs to add muscle mass. Wiggins feels like a risky pick to me. Lots to like but some physical traits that are potential red flags at this level.

April 19, 2024 at 12:46 pm

And Stokes wasn't?
I'm saying if Gute wants a CB
( without trading up.)
He would be his choice.
As a FS - Thats just insane.
Bullock dropped because of weight.
Of course both must ad weight
But both can stay with Wrs.

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 03:30 pm

Stokes was 194 pounds at the combine and an inch shorter.

Stokes 10 yard split was excellent in contrast to Wiggins.

Facts are available.

Again reading is important: “he’s not a FS candidate with his build.” My point was that his speed profile would be intriguing for a FS but is very concerning for a perimeter corner.

So no, Stokes was not a similar proposition except that he runs a fast 40 and is a perimeter CB.

TKWorldWide's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:52 am

I am still trying
To figure out what kind of
Poetry that is

(And I did it in a haikú, baby, yeah!)

April 19, 2024 at 12:58 pm

Wheels in motion

jannes bjornson's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:56 am

How does he handle a guy like A.J. Brown?

April 19, 2024 at 12:52 pm

Can stokes?

jannes bjornson's picture

April 19, 2024 at 12:55 pm

Stokes has never been on my radar.

GregC's picture

April 19, 2024 at 07:25 am

This looks a lot like my draft nightmare.

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 07:52 am

No to Sinnot or any H-Back. All we use that role for is to block. If we need to recruit a blocking specialist at all, there are better options for that among later TEs (I prefer Spann-Ford) that can block better in-line, as a lead blocker and play 6th OL. Alternatively, a true FB (ball carrier option) who can offer a different wrinkle offensively. We want Kraft/Musgrave in as often as possible. This role just needs to be limited and excel at the blocking function.

Wilson is an interesting one. MVS in the body of Lazard. Although he can win by size inside, he’s really limited otherwise by his lack of short area mobility and burst. He’s a true long strider.

He takes time to get moving and is at his best when he can just stay in motion, not stutter or adjust. Like MVS he seems to body catch at times and then make a blinder the next time. He’s not agile enough to have the catch radius that his frame suggests. So his inside value is limited, especially on a team with big targets like Kraft and Musgrave.

However, he’s a massive straight line target. His top speed isn’t fabulous, but he’s faster than his 40 suggests after he’s 20 yards in. Needs to win at the line by physicality not burst, but he’s well suited to do so. Runs good routes.

As a near pure perimeter X and red zone target, he would be fun. I see him as an early third day proposition generally. Wilson would fill the one hole I see in our WR depth very neatly.

April 19, 2024 at 08:14 am

Lazard had three very productive college seasons behind him and a first year that was similar to Wilson's two best years. Wilson's college film really does profile as a "go long" WR, but his workout numbers parallel Lazard very closely. Lazard had some utility as a big slot in an era when the TE room is GB was weak. I see Wilson as an uber project and a body type--if kept in the WR room--that they currently lack even though the Packers used to covet it.

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 08:34 am

Yes, I’m not advocating to pick him per se. Just that he was mentioned in the article. If we do pick a WR, he’s a of type that I could see a fit for (more so than the more often touted Legette) with our current depth and who will probably go late enough in my expectation. He’s faster and a little more agile than Lazard. He runs very much like MVS (though not nearly as fast).

jimtalkbox's picture

April 19, 2024 at 07:55 am

I would add Blake Watson - RB - Memphis. WR that moved to RB. Hard to bring down. KR experience.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 19, 2024 at 08:02 am

"Tight end: Ben Sinnott - Kansas State
If Matt LaFleur still wants to find his Kyle Juszczyk, Sinnott could be the guy. He does almost everything well and his only real weakness is contested catch situations, so scheme him into space from the backfield and let him cook."

I really feel like Sinnott might be a guy that LaFleur pounds the table for. He would be a perfect fit for that HB role. I think he instantly would be an upgrade over Deguara.
While TE isn't a huge need for GB with Musgrave and Kraft, adding a different type of TE is something that I think LaFleur would love to have.

April 19, 2024 at 08:18 am

I think for the limited snaps that role gets LaF's earlier comments suggest they want to see if Dillon can do that role.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 19, 2024 at 08:40 am

I don't really see Dillon as that type of guy, but never know.

I'd honestly like to see Dillon try and slim down a bit.

April 19, 2024 at 09:05 am

He can block, block on the move, catches the ball well, Packers haven't been averse to using him in space...I could see him playing as well as Deguara in that HB role, for the limited amount they use it.

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:21 am

Dillon needs to put his heart and soul into being something. Maybe that’s just getting angry, but turning into a Kuhn with far more athletic gifts would give him a foothold in the league that his running alone hasn’t so far. As you say, he can, but will he embrace it?

TKWorldWide's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:54 am

His report coming out of BC was “runs hard but not violently”. I think that is 100% spot on!

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 03:37 pm

Too nice can be a drawback. Need to have that edge to make it fly sometimes.

GregC's picture

April 19, 2024 at 08:33 am

I've always suspected that LaFleur pounded the table for Deguara, and look how that turned out. If he pounds the table for another H back, Gutekunst may just ignore him.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 19, 2024 at 08:44 am

I suspected that as well.

But remember just because Deguara never really turned out to be the player they thought he would be, doesn't mean that Sinnott won't be good.

I do think LaFleur really wants that piece in his offense. But he is willing to be flexible and adjust his team based on the players he has. I think he will be fine without that piece, but I do think he wants that piece in his offense. Its another chess piece.

Coldworld's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:30 am

It was openly admitted in the post 2020 draft press conferences. Moreover we maintained a backup H Back as well for a couple of years. We just never used the role as LaFleur clearly envisaged at the time and this invalidated the express reason for the pick being made.

““I love Josiah,” LaFleur said. “He is extremely versatile. The thing he brings to our offense is, we can be in the same personnel grouping and we can line him up on the line of scrimmage or in a wing alignment or in the backfield. I think that adds stress on the defense. When you watch Josiah, you see such a gritty, tough player.”

Brian Gutekunst said LaFleur was “very, very excited” about getting a chance to use Deguara as a movable chess piece in the Packers offense.”

jannes bjornson's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:41 am

Cade Stover would fit the profile.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 19, 2024 at 08:54 am

Hey Mark, I think you forgot your theme with Colson!
I like him too, but he’s definitely NOT the “fun” pick at LB!
I’d probably go with Payton Wilson there.

If you’re looking for a fun H-back, how about RB Carson Steele?
Long blonde hair, pet alligator, maybe another Travis Jervey?
😃

GregC's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:42 am

I had the same thought about Colson. He is the epitome of solid, but not exciting or fun.

LambeauPlain's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:35 am

Mims would be a fun pick...on day 3...as a project RT to compete with Caleb the Giant, Tenuta the Tower, Telfort the Tall, and now Dillard the Desperate on the depth chart.

Here's what the CHTV Draft Guide said about Mims: "Mims came to Georgia as a national top-10 five- star recruit but didn’t win the starting right tackle job until 2023 and then missed seven games due to injury." So he decided to come out as a true Junior with his thin resume. I get it. He wants to cash in on his freakish size.

I do like Junior Colson as a fun pick. Guy would play through any injury...never miss a game...especially after this: "He did complete any athletic testing as he deals with an injury...". He even tests while injured!

Of all theses prospects however, I do like Junior, who unlike Mims, started as a Freshman, produced at a high level for 3 years. Junior is an accomplished Junior entering the draft. Seems to have great character too.

TKWorldWide's picture

April 19, 2024 at 09:58 am

I remember watching Deion Sanders run a 4.27 with a broken leg.

But to clarify, HE ran the 4.27, I was the one with the broken leg.

splitpea1's picture

April 19, 2024 at 11:21 am

"Colson might be the most pro-ready and reliable linebacker in this class...competent on all three downs...." Now that's my idea of fun, seeing a defensive player like this in a Packers uniform ready to do the job.

My addition to the list would be Blake Corum, a decisive runner with good vision who doesn't fart around a lot in the backfield. Doesn't have blazing speed and needs a lot of development in pass protection, though. But he might be useful for returning kicks with the new rules.

Alberta_Packer's picture

April 19, 2024 at 12:14 pm

Being that fun is subjective - my list as follows:

Joe Milton - Agree. It may be fun to bet the over-under on his pass completion %.
Dylan Laube - Amend. Really allergic to running between the tackles. Substitute Tyrone Tracey Jr. - who reminds me more of Aaron Jones than any other RB in this draft.
Ben Sinnott - Amend. While Sinnott can do some fun things - my choice is Tip Reiman. At 6'5" 271 lbs. he is a prototypic blocking TE who can also run a bit. Was Mercedes Lewis not a bit of fun?
Amarius Mims - Agree. I occassionally do like pancakes for breakfast but more so on the football field. Mims could serve that - which has not been on the O-line menu for a while.
Junior Colson - Amend to Payton Wilson. Some risk can be exhilarating. Wilson would certainly provide that with his medical record. Also when healthy - he's just a noticably more dynamic player than Colson.
Ennis Rakestraw Jr. - Add. Rakestraw does play like his hair is on fire - which can be a fun visual. Plus, as good a story as Valentine was this year - a 7th round rookie CB starter. I present this year's C.V. "Quantez Stiggers." Late round gems are like a winning scratch ticket. Fun and rewarding.
Kitan Oladapo - Amend. It seems that every GB mock draft defaults to K.O. at Safety. So it's just fun to suggest other comparables - namely Tre Taylor, Ryan Watts and Omar Brown.

GregC's picture

April 19, 2024 at 12:45 pm

Mercedes Lewis was no fun at all. I hope they don't go down that road again. I want TEs who are a threat in the passing game. Make the defense defend more of the field.

Alberta_Packer's picture

April 19, 2024 at 01:00 pm

Lewis in his prime was a threat in the passing game. While in College - Reiman was a threat in the passing game.

As for Lewis being "no fun at all." Probably to all the DEs, LBs and DBs that were blocked by him. However for me - I enjoy that aspect of the game. Which only asserts my statement that fun is subjective.

golfpacker1's picture

April 19, 2024 at 12:16 pm

Johnny Wilson could at the very least be a very good TE prospect because of his speed, size, and strong blocking ability. But he also would be a problem to cover @ WR.

Brenden Rice would be my fun pick @ WR. He is how you would make a WR in the lab. Big, solid weight, fast, and the guy has fabulous hands. The kicker is that his dad is Jerry "Freaking" Rice. What coaching tips could he give young players?

Peyton Wilson would be the fun pick @ LB. If not for the injuries he is a TOP 20 pick this year. Right now, he is better than any of the draft LBs, including Cooper. But I am leaning more toward drafting Cedric Gray for GB. I think he has more potential than any LB in the draft. Hafley & the new LB coach could clean up the missed tackles issue and we could pick him @ #58. He would become a 150 tackles a year guy. And he is good in coverage.

RB fun pick Isaac Guerendo. Big, crazy fast, and just coming into his own. He has great hands too.

CB fun pick DeCamerion Richardson. 6'2 190 runs low 4.3s 160 tackles last 2 years, better than most Safeties

The H-Back roles is used so little that I would incorporate our best blocking TEs for this role. The additional bonus is bigger catch radius for Jordan Love. Iowa plays a 6'6 Fullback and it works.

Kitan Oladapo is a great S choice if we are waiting until the middle of the draft. Dominque Hampton is another even later. Tyler Owens later yet. All over 6'2 & 210lbs. Owens runs low 4.3s.

Acquiring some extra 4th & 5th round picks thru tradebacks, could really open the door for GB to get some of these solid mid round guys.