My Ugly Mug: Preseason Edition

Aaron offers a few more takes on last nights game against the Colts.

PresidentRaygun's picture

August 27, 2010 at 11:43 am

Sam Shields! Frank Zombo! Jason Chery! I hope they're not just preseason highlights who drop off completely during the regular season.

I liked to see Burnett makin some plays, I think he'll be ok. Definately a ballhawk.

BJ Raji and the rest of the D-line are fun to watch as they just stuff running backs. I look forward to playing the Rice-less Vikings, I think they're going to lean on Adrian Peterson heavily this year, GB can take advantage of that.

I know it's just preseason but this game really got me amped up for this season, college fball starts next week already (Go Hawkeyes!) than we got finally the next week. I can't effin wait!

PackersRS's picture

August 27, 2010 at 11:52 am

Totally agree. We'll have to compensate for some holes on the D. I think Capers can do it, though.

However, some holes can't be the reason we give up 30+ points. And we don't need our D to win us games. We need it not to be the reason we lose them. Don't know if I made sense...

NickGBP's picture

August 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I think Dom will come through and show more blitzes this year. The corners have shown the ability to cover for about 2-3 seconds which is all you can expect. Without a pass rush anyone will get beat. I think as he feels more confident we'll see the type of blitzing we've expected. Who can blame him in not feeling comfortable blitzing with our backfield last year? That doesn't mean he's going to be Rex Ryan, but I do expect some more blitzing and man coverage.

The defensive performance in this game is nothing like in the Ari game imo (or vs Vikes). Warner and Favre attacked the short middle of the field in quick shots. That wasn't the case against Manning. Now maybe it's a difference in offensive scheme, but on most plays Manning didn't find the quick shot; he had to hold onto the ball and eventually someone came free as you'd expect. The fact that he had that much time certainly is an issue though, but considering Matthews and Jones out should be somewhat excusable for now. Obviously he beat Collins on the quick Go for the TD and I'm sure there are other examples but overall I think you have to come away somewhat impressed.

NickGBP's picture

August 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Going to rewatch the game looking at this to see if what I said is valid in any way or if I just made it up in my head.

PackersRS's picture

August 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm

They played a lot less bunch and spread sets. They didn't gameplan, like Seattle and Cleveland did.

That being said, they DID play some bunch and spread sets, and we contained them.

Aaron Rogders's picture

August 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm

You know the offense is good when the only thing you complain about is the #2 ranked defense.

PackerAaron's picture

August 27, 2010 at 05:06 pm

If you face the Lions twice, the Browns and the Rams in a season, you damn well better end up in the top 5 of defense.

Z's picture

August 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I've see this a lot lately. So, Detroit, Cleveland and the Rams count, but, Dallas, Minx2, Cincy and Baltimore don't (3 Div winners and all playoff teams, BTW)? That logic is bogus.

They don't control who they play, they control how they play. And they played great for the first year in a new, complex defense.

PackerAaron's picture

August 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

Of course they count. And most of those teams put up some pretty good numbers against this "#2 defense" - I actually think you're proving my point here.

andrew harman's picture

August 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm

special teams has improved like they promised.. everyone thought it was gonna be terrible after week 1.. but it has gotten better. and i said it on the good bad ugly post and ill say it hear.. AJ HAWK i honestly dont understand why no one wants him to start.. i really really dont.. go look at his stats from season to season.. look at the position he is meant to play.. ilb... he is meant to blitz stop the run and take out the ball carrier on play action.. and run a zone.. all things hawk can do.. is it a good idea to use chillar in the nickle package sometimes? of course.. but hawk is better against the run than every linebacker on the team. and i believe he is not that much worse at coverage than chillar is.. so what would u rather have.. a linebacker that can stop the run and is not teh best in coverage... or a linebacker who cant really stop the run and is okay at best in coverage..? it makes no sense... and hawk gets an INT every year.. and forces a few fumbles every year... so the "he doesnt make any big plays" thing also makes no sense.. does he have 10 sacks like clay? no.. but he makes just as many big plays as barnett and everyone seems to love him.. makes no sense to me..

Wiscokid's picture

August 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I think the expectation for Hawk was that he was going to be the second coming of Ray Nitzke and he isn't. Anything less and he would be considered a bust. I suppose that goes with being the fifth overall pick. OK, so his pass coverage could be better but he still is a solid player and should start.

Tarynfor12's picture

August 27, 2010 at 06:09 pm

Expecting anybody to be the ressurection of anybody simply induces a faster feeling of failure and more likely an un-achievable level of play.
I hate when players are categorized or poured into extinct molds of past players.
Let each player show they can be the only one of his kind and fine tune that talent.I feel Hawk was poured into a mold that can't be kilned and now most only see the cracks they induced.

lars's picture

August 27, 2010 at 09:20 pm

For those still concerned with the mediocre AJ Hawk "starting:' Please realize that he only plays in the base defense. So, when the team is in the nickel or dime he won't be. "Starting" in Capers defense is pretty irrelevant.

Wiscokid's picture

August 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm

So we're getting into semantics here? I think the point is that Hawk isn't as bad you and some others would have us believe. Why all of the hate?

NickGBP's picture

August 28, 2010 at 07:31 am

I think a lot of people are discounting the impact that a vanilla defense has in this scheme. The reason (at least in my opinion) that Capers is so great is his ability to dictate how the offense plays them as opposed to just reacting to what they do, and along with that calling plays that match the down and distance (as opposed to our old friend Mr Sanders).

You're removing both of those aspects when you're not gameplanning. I think it makes a huge difference.

Tarynfor12's picture

August 28, 2010 at 09:04 am

A good point,so the vanilla is the bait to lure the offense to the trap.OK,but you better have a fast reel,trigger or bow and arrow to do the deed when you corner them.
I thought a little hunting euphorism would fit well here.

Chito260's picture

August 28, 2010 at 07:49 am

Agree completely with your assessment of the team. I like to be optimistic and hope that Capers is saving the good stuff for the Regular Season but can't help but feel a bit concerned. I thought Chillar looked awful against Seattle. First Seattle touchdown drive Chillar rushed in and just hugged the running back that was blocking him he didn't even try to run him over or anything. I understand about containment but it was a pass he should have gone after the QB. I am a bit of a Shields fan cause I tend to go for the underdog but I know there are gonna be growing pains with the kid.

maxginsberg's picture