Mike McCarthy on Jarrett Boykin: He's Not Getting As Many Opportunities

McCarthy indicated that Boykin isn't getting as many opportunities as last year because of Davante Adams.

Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy met with the media on Friday for the final time in advance of the upcoming game with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The following are select comments from McCarthy's press conference:

• On Bryan Bulaga's practice status: Based upon what we did today, Bulaga would have been listed as a limited participant. But he's making progress
  • On Bulaga's concussion: As we say in here all the time, you're either part of the protocol, or you're not in the protocol. But he's making progress.
  • On turnovers: It's obvious if you take care of the football and maximize your opportunities, it gives you the best chance of putting points on the scoreboard. … I think last week was the first time we lost the turnover ratio in a long time.
  • On the Buccaneers defense: In just in the last four or five games they're playing very good defense.
  • On J.C. Tretter at practice: J.C.'s been getting a lot of reps during practice, both inside and outside. … I think anytime you have a player who plays multiple positions … I think he's getting better each and every week, and I think this is exactly what he needs.
  • On Davon House's shoulder injury: Davon will not be available this week. We'll see how next week goes, but Dr. McKenzie feels good about the progress he's making.
  • More on J.C. Tretter: J.C. is a heckuva football player, I think he's showed that from what he's done in spring all the way through training camp. … He put together some very good plays, and it's definitely something I look for him to improve on.
  • On the safety position: I think you're seeing young players developing. … I think it speaks volumes about Morgan Burnett being voted as one of the team captains. It shows what his peers think about him. … I think Micah's a year better and Sean Richardson's a year better.
  • On Burnett growing as a leader: I think personality isn't a true indicator of if you're a true leader, but I think he's gone about it the right way. … I'm glad to see his credibility rise in the locker room.
  • On the memorial service for Fuzzy Thurston: I know personally I had a chance to go to the service.
  • On Jarrett Boykin: He had the injury, a little setback there. Davante's really come on. … You have to recognize what he's done on speical teams. He's not getting as many opportunities as last year, and I think that's part of the opportunities given to Davante.

Ibleedgreenmore's picture

December 19, 2014 at 01:52 pm

Maybe a few more Boykin plays, Adams has been out to lunch the last few games.

MikeHoncho's picture

December 20, 2014 at 06:54 pm

More Boykin plays? You mean like the one that bounced off his hands and was intercepted.

4thand1's picture

December 20, 2014 at 09:07 pm

AR won't give him a second look especially because of the INT. That took points off the board and he hates throwing int's more than anything.

December 21, 2014 at 01:00 am

And if Rodgers won't throw the ball to Boykin, then it means that his value is greatly diminished. You can put Richard Rodgers as another receiving threat that Rodgers doesn't want to throw to.

Zub's picture

December 19, 2014 at 02:57 pm

With no injuries this year at wide receiver, Boykins playing time has greatly diminished

lou's picture

December 19, 2014 at 04:50 pm

Lots of positives, thank God Bulaga is OK, he has really come on, Burnett has totally reversed his fortunes, HaHa has been just as good as advertised (the opposite of Datone Jones), Peppers has provided big plays & leadership, Linsley has overachieved,, and Lacy is the 2nd coming of Earl Campbell. Only disappointments beside Datone Jones have been Bostick (looked like the answer in camp), and Boykin, his hands have turned to ping pong paddles consistently.

December 19, 2014 at 05:36 pm

Isn't this revisionist history regarding Boykin? Maybe my memory is playing me false. IIRC, Boykin early in the season started out as the unquestioned 3rd receiver, then stunk up the joint by failing to get open, and/or dropping everything thrown his way (he was injured weeks 4-7 after having been fully healthy for the first 3 games. In the 1st 3 games, Boykin caught 2 passes for 17 yards. I don't recall Boykin getting demoted because Adams was so great. Adams got those opportunities because of the void created by Boykin's total lack of production and then injury, and then the light came may have come on for Adams, though he has only caught one pass for 6 yards in each of the last 2 games. Boykin has caught 3 passes for 23 yards in 11 games. Hope Boykin is stellar on STs; otherwise he has no chance of returning next year.