Meet Your Green Bay Packers 2018 Draft Picks

The full 2018 draft class of the Green Bay Packers.

With the completion of the 2018 NFL Draft, we now know all of the Packers selections as the team looks to welcome them to training camp this summer.  The team here at CheeseheadTV.com has done an awesome job breaking down each pick so be sure to take a look at each player profile to get know the newest Packers players.

Let’s take a look at this year’s full slate of draft picks:

Round 1

18th overall – Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

In who will be known in Packers lore as Brian Gutekunst’s first draft pick as General Manager of the team, Alexander brings a mix of speed, ball skills and grit to the defensive backfield.  Alexander brings skills to return game on special teams as well.  While he wasn’t on the radar of many for the Packers leading up to the draft, the top brass maneuvered around to get him while gaining a valuable first-round selection in 2019.  You can read about Alexander here.

Round 2

45th overall – Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

By nabbing Jackson in the middle of the second round, the Packers are getting a cornerback that was rated near the top of many prospect lists at the position entering the draft.  Having only started one year in college, Jackson showed impressive ball skills that Mike Pettine and the Packers defense will welcome with open arms.  You can read about Jackson here.

Round 3

88th overall – Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt

The Packers traded a fourth and fifth round pick jump back into the third round to select Burks, making him a player that Gutekunst and the scouting staff coveted in that spot after his pre-draft visit to Green Bay.  While listed as an OLB, Burks played all over the field in college from safety to all linebacker positions.  He is expected to jump to ILB at the NFL level where he brings great athleticism with some rawness that will need to be coached at the NFL level.  You can read about Burks here.

Round 4

133rd overall – J’mon Moore, WR, Missouri

The Packers first selection on offense came in the fourth round where they added Moore.  Out of Missouri, he brings the ability to make plays on the outside at any level of the route tree.  Moore is great at adjusting to deep throws and can be dangerous after the catch as well.  He comes out of Missouri as a raw receiver that has had some drop issues, but his addition will make the battle among the receivers this summer a great one.  You can read about Moore here.

Round 5

138th overall – Cole Madison, G, Washington St.

Coming out of Washington State playing right tackle, Madison projects to be a guard at the NFL level.  He thrived in the spread offense as a Cougar where the team slung the ball around the football field an average of 55 times per game.  He’ll bring additional depth to the offensive line where competition in camp may be stiff this summer.  You can read about Madison here.

Round 5

172nd overall – JK Scott, P, Alabama

In Brian Gutekunst’s first stunner move in his first draft, the Packers opted to take Scott in the fifth round.  Scott brings to the table a huge punting leg, the ability to directionally punt the football and a strong boot on kickoffs.  He was a four-year starter for the Crimson Tide and has played on a big stage many times.  There will be competition in training camp for the final roster at punter where many didn’t expect there to be.  You can read about Scott here.

Round 5

174th overall – Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, South Florida

As the second wide receiver drafted on day three of the draft, Valdes-Scantling joins the Packers as a tall and speedy threat down the field.  He showed a great knack for lengthy receptions at the college level and he immediately adds more competition for the final roster, along with Moore, to the current wide receivers on the teams.  You can read about Valdes-Scantling here.

Round 6

207th overall – Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame

Gutekunst elected in the sixth round to take his third large-framed receiver of the draft.  St. Brown comes to the Packers needing some refining, but many thought he could be selected as high as the third or fourth round so there was great value in this selection.  Again, the Packers wide receiver battle in training camp should be a fun one to watch.  You can read about St. Brown here.

Round 7

232nd overall – James Looney, DE, California

Late in the seventh round, Looney was a selection to hopefully add long-term depth to the defensive line.  Coming from a football bloodline, he will be seen as a project to learn from the likes of Clark, Daniels and Wilkerson this year.  You can read about Looney here.

Round 7

239th overall – Hunter Bradley, LS, Mississippi State

With the Packers unable to find a solid replacement for Brett Goode in recent years, Gutekunst decided that 2018 was the year to bring in a hopefully long-term replacement via the draft.  You can read about Bradley here.

Round 7

248th overall – Kendall Donnerson, EDGE, Southeast Missouri State

Not many people thought it would take until the final pick of the draft for the Packers to go EDGE rusher, but here we are with the selection of Donnerson out of Southeast Missouri State.  He will come to the Packers as a project with freak testing numbers that would’ve impressed if he was invited to the combine.  You can read about Donnerson here.

________________________

Ryan Brunner is an avid Packers fan hailing from Chippewa Falls, WI.  He is a firm believer that punters are NFL players too!  Follow him on Twitter @brunwardo

lebowski's picture

April 28, 2018 at 07:14 pm

Pretty solid job Gute. Makes me wish we had moved on from TT a couple years ago, if he hadn't sucked at drafting defense so often our hands wouldn't have been tied yet again. And the cherry on top, two 1st round picks next year.

packerfan9507's picture

February 13, 2019 at 01:48 am

Go Pack

Ryan Graham's picture

April 29, 2018 at 08:15 am

I agree, Dude. They say it's a copy cat league and I think that they took some of what New Orleans did in last years draft and applied it to their roster. NO saw a lot of success from their early round secondary guys - Lattimore and Williams - and we can only hope as fans that we get the same kind of return.

Alexander and Burks will be closely watched by many and I for one am excited to see how Pettine utilizes them...I have to imagine he was quite the influence for trading up for both of them. Jackson could have been a really nice value pick at 45 and, at the very least, presented real true competition at corner. Pettine also must like what he has at edge rusher with Clay, Perry, Biegel, and Gilbert. Probably gonna add some guys to that list at some point.

Got some competition at wide reciever, St. Brown could be a steal. Still gonna be looking for help at offensive line and tight end depth come June 1st cuts, but there are other indirect ways to protect Rodgers. Get the ball out of his hands quicker to Jones and Montgomery out of the backfield with some screens, or just get them in space...another staple of the Saints last year. But lets be serious, offensive production will never be the Achilles heel of the offense as long as Rodgers is on the field.

The TKstinator's picture

April 30, 2018 at 06:11 am

Wagzilla:
Paragraph 3 4ever!

Jlux1's picture

April 28, 2018 at 07:20 pm

Good haul, we address our glaring weaknesses CB and WR. In a draft weak in pass rush I'm glad Gute didn't reach. Like the overall approach to add speed and size almost everywhere.
I think there is a good chance that one of the three WR could establish as a solid #2, leaving Cobb and maybe Montgomery in the slot (or this gives us the ability to jettison Cobb's salary).
Burks is an exciting prospect - speedy coverage linebackers are what the doc ordered (Jake Ryan must be getting a little nervous)
Picking up Alexander, Jackson and a bonus first rounder next year was a rout.
Not sure about the OL pick.

April 28, 2018 at 07:59 pm

Typical sizzle free Packers draft. I'll look to the late rounders and UDFAs like usual.

I hope Brian got that extra 1 to package for OBJ. Otherwise, I don't understand his move to 18 for Alexander.

Had he stayed at 27 this draft likely looks a lot better.

In the end, this should be similar to the drafts of the last few years. I'm hoping we can mine one star out of all those picks although I'm not counting on it.

Pettine's turn...he has countless high picks to work with even if they came via Ted and Brian.

Not impressed with the draft. Can't be the way they drew it up. I think failing to go up and get Minkah changed everything.

EDIT: Brian cost us multiple picks in this draft. A 3rd and 6th for Jaire. Another pick for Burks at 88, a 5th on a punter and a 7th on a LS. That's 5 picks squandered and not maximized. Brian's panic after getting to 27 set in motion the Burks trade up at 88. Had he stayed and not wasted our 3rd and 6th, we have our 3rd pick at 76...lost 12 spots and had to give up another pick. We did get a 7th back. Just a brutal mishap by Brian.

zoellner25's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:17 pm

John Kirk, I expect to see you apply for the GM job in GB when it opens in 2 years according to you

April 28, 2018 at 09:24 pm

That comment is as fresh as a Foghat concert. The entire staff should've been blown out...we hedged and got left with too much of the past in our future. Break wasn't clean and the infection is spreading.

Chuck Farley's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:32 pm

Gutt was horrid. We had 12 picks. If no has a good year, ya we get there first but first after 20 are no better than early twos. Had we stayed put there were blue chip players. NO easily figured, hey our later one pick ain't worth that much to get a real quality guy at 14.
What gutt did made zero sense unless he was pressured by ball go cheap. 14icks cost money

zoellner25's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:38 pm

There is a structured rookie salary cap. This post is incredible

April 28, 2018 at 08:42 pm

Boom
Boom
Boom

Johnblood27's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:58 pm

This post sounds just like Charley Brown's teacher...

wah blah, wuu, uhh

Tundraboy's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:28 am

Best post of the day!

BackPack's picture

April 28, 2018 at 09:16 pm

Mine is not a beautiful mind, but if you don't see the value in moving down four slots in the first round, nine slots in the fifth round and giving up a third-round pick to get a 2019 first-round pick and an extra seventh-round pick in 2018 (thanks Zack Kruse for the breakdown) that's on you

April 28, 2018 at 09:27 pm

If you needed ZK to inform you of that you have no business commenting on this at all.

Did ZK also tell you that moving back up to 18 cost us 76 and a 6th rounder? Did ZK tell you that had Brian held onto his 27th pick in Round 1 there would've been no need to sacrifice the 1st pick on Day 3 along with another pick? Did ZK tell you that taking a punter and LS is like lighting a hundred dollar bill on fire? YES, YES, YES, getting that 1st was GENIUS. Trading back up was PANIC and STUPIDITY.

BackPack's picture

April 28, 2018 at 09:38 pm

My source was cited out of respect for his concise breakdown. Who's your source guaranteeing J.A. was available with out trading up?

April 28, 2018 at 10:25 pm

What? Where did I say JA was available without trading up? I said trading up cost us pick 76 and a 6th rounder and it did. I don't care if he would've been there at 27, or not. Brian is the one who traded down to 27 claiming he would get equal value at 27 as he would at 14...so why did he feel he had to trade back up? It's illogical and indefensible if we're taking him at his word.

Why can't a single person acknowledge what actually happened. I'm not typing about fantasies here I'm talking facts. Facts are dismissed on a regular basis. There was no reason to waste pick 76 and a 6th rounder to move back to take Jaire. Doing that cost us issues in Round 3 that didn't need to be. That is also a fact. Can you comment on that or do you just want to continue pretending it didn't happen and isn't true?

BackPack's picture

April 28, 2018 at 10:36 pm

"What? Where did I say JA was available without trading up?"
"There was no reason to waste pick 76 and a 6th rounder to move back to take Jaire."

Which is it?

April 28, 2018 at 10:50 pm

Which is it? What? You baffle me. I didn't care if we got Jaire or not. I wanted to stay at 27. We WASTED picks to go get Jaire. I don't know when Jaire would've been picked but I do know we wasted picks to go get him. I didn't want to do that because I, personally, didn't care about Jaire.

What's your issue...there's no inconsistency.

BackPack's picture

April 28, 2018 at 11:05 pm

You say picks wasted, I say picks utilized. If you don't know when he would have been picked, you can't say you "know" we wasted picks to go get him. Neither of us know if he's going make it or break it at this point...

April 28, 2018 at 11:28 pm

I absolutely can and should say that and you should too.

Let me type this again...Brian said he traded down from 14 to 27 because he could get same value at 27 as at 14. If we take him at his word, then he wasted picks to get Jaire...he could've gotten someone with same value as Jaire at 27 so why waste your 3rd and 6th to go get same value player? It's not logical at all.

So, do you now get it? Do you see how we wasted picks? It's 100% absolutely true that we did...based on what Brian said.

porupack's picture

April 29, 2018 at 08:48 am

I had the same critique as JohnKirk; just following the illogical rationale of GM for moving down, then back up. It did not make sense to move up after just declaring you saw equal value at #27 pick given the talent at positions of need. To then reverse course, and give up a 3rd rounder then had other consequences.
Having said that, who would have known Josh Jackson would still be around in 2nd, and so I don't fault Gute for making a bold move to get JAlexander. I'm happy with 2 big investments in CB to erase TT disastrous history at CB.

April 29, 2018 at 10:47 am

Glad you noticed that, too, porupack. His thinking is very flawed when I have listened to him. This is just one of the examples of it. It's too bad the media in the room didn't ask him about the logic of going back up when he just said he traded down because he could get same value. It's like our media isn't paying attention at all.

That move back to 18 really changed the course of this draft. Our 3rd and 4th round were jacked up because of his inconsistency and panic. The sweet spot of the draft didn't get the picks pulled from it that it should've all because he couldn't "sit still" after pulling off a brilliant trade for the Saints 1st. Ugh.

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 01:58 pm

Kirk once told me that TT was suffering from dementia, because otherwise "why would Zach Kruse have written about it?"

Irony.

When you hear the turd plop into the water, know that Kirk has arrived on the board. Just flush and move on.

April 29, 2018 at 01:16 am

I never ever said Ted had dementia. Also, Kruse tweeted it. I posted the tweet here. It did not state Ted had dementia.

There is no irony. I used Zach, and others, to show that what I was saying about Ted was not without basis. You'll notice that when I type something sometimes posters like you are completely unaware of what I'm talking about and say "got a link"? Or... bury your head and act like I'm making something up.

Here's irony...you took a situation where a poster here needed Zach to tell him something and spun it into me doing the same. I didn't need Zach's tweet to inform me of anything. I used it as a backing to show what I already knew that you didn't notice. Zach would've been informing you much like he did in this case for the other poster. My goodness marpag1.

I'm sorry you felt embarrassed you weren't aware of what was going on with Ted. Don't fault me for paying attention and posting about it.

BTW, Did you see any visual evidence Ted was actually in the draft room? What did I tell you? No camera in the room which is unusual. Why do you think this year was different? Think hard.

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 04:55 am

Of course you didn't "say it." You just... y'know.... *cough, cough* .... said it.

John Kirk says:
February 23, 2018 at 02:43 pm

"Ted showed clear signs of some form of impairment from my perspective and McGinn wrote about his declining health. It's not a slam on Ted. It's a slam on the org. Dementia, Alzheimer's, CTE, etc. are very serious and sad things to have to deal with."

April 29, 2018 at 02:29 am

We're very different people, marpag1. Nowhere in that did I say Ted had dementia. You're seeing what you want to see. My quote on Ted was... "clear signs of some form of impairment"...nowhere did I say I knew what form of impairment he had. I offered 3 common issues that are brain related and included an etc... because I DON'T KNOW what is wrong with him, only that there is.

I've told you several things to watch for and I've been right on every single one of them. You offer no explanation because you know I've been right about this from the very beginning. Why are you driving this over and over knowing you're wrong? It's very bizarre behavior.

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 04:54 am

Ploop!

KUHWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOSH!

Bye, Kirk!

Isn't modern plumbing wonderful?

LOL.

porupack's picture

April 29, 2018 at 08:54 am

This kind of post will turn many of us away from this site. John Kirk simply posted about the illogic of GM's rationale for moving back, then reversing course and going back up again. His comments were taken out of context and misunderstood. It was reasonable post, whether you agreed or not, fellow fans should debate but not receive thumbs up comments like this.
Boooo, Marpag1. I often appreciate your comments....but not this.

holmesmd's picture

April 29, 2018 at 01:37 pm

Does anyone believe it’s possible the Kirk is COW resurrected from the blog departed? HHMMMM;)

April 29, 2018 at 01:46 pm

I assure you I'm not COW... WKU was first to make this charge. Hadn't heard of him prior to the allegation.

I've never posted on CHTV under any other moniker but this one.

Just think of me as the guy in the bar who tells you maybe you should slow down while your buddies are encouraging you to just keep knocking'em back, telling me rudely to mind my own business and I don't know what I'm talking about. They're all buzzed and I'm stone cold sober with each providing thoughts. I provide the balance that is missing here. Of course, that is going to be reviled and rejected but posters like me are necessary or you're left with a very cult like experience. Of course a lot of you want me to go away. Intolerance is a funny thing...it brings out some horrific behavior just so you know.

WKUPackFan's picture

April 29, 2018 at 07:50 am

Modern plumbing may not be large enough to carry the excrement that is Kirk.

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 08:30 am

I dunno.... you been on an airplane lately? Those toilets are rocket powered. Thomas Crapper would be proud.

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:32 pm

"No answer, of course, on why there was no camera in the Packers draft room this year when there has been for what I recall has been years and years. Why, marpag1, why? Anyone have any visual evidence Ted was in the room? No? Why? Did we hear from this "rejuvenated" scout who just loves being back in scouting? No? Yeah, there's nothing wrong...non story because marpag1 wishes it to be so."

April 29, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Someone had posted on Thursday that they saw a picture from the war room that had TT sitting next to BG. I wasn't able to find that post readily. I don't think there was a link, either.

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Go to the link above and scroll down to "Photos: Inside the Packers Draft Room."

April 29, 2018 at 01:48 pm

Saw the pic but didn't see the date on the byline. Thanks, marpag.

April 29, 2018 at 02:18 pm

Why a picture and no live video? Can you or will you answer that question?

I'm glad the PR department realized it needed to put something up after taking the cameras out of the room.

Let me just ask you point blank...Is there something wrong with Ted, or not, in your opinion?

marpag1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 02:22 pm

Ploop!

KUHWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOSH!

Bye, Kirk!

April 29, 2018 at 02:26 pm

What kind of a man does what you're doing? Still doesn't answer after months of childish posts like this one.

Dzehren's picture

April 29, 2018 at 09:22 am

Wrong. BG got the 1st rounder next year because 2019 draft is loaded w/ pass rushers & DT’s with pass rush ability. Ur complaining about 6th & 3rd rounders when we have 2 1st’s next year? What?

April 29, 2018 at 10:53 am

Focus for one second and don't just react... Can you do that, please?

We already had the 2 1st's next year and #76 and our 6th rounder. We did not NEED to waste those picks to get an equal value player.

What's better?....

Two 1st's in 2019 AND 76 and your 6th in 2018

OR

Two 1st's in 2019

You don't see the difference?

April 29, 2018 at 12:44 pm

An equal value player in whose eyes? Whether we see Alexander and Hughes as equal value players is immaterial, and I didn't see a single scouting report that put Hughes in the conversation of the top cover corners in this draft. Alexander had been mentioned openly by more than one scout or draftnik.

I think we all want the Packers to go find players they really value and go get them. If the Packers didn't see Alexander as an 'equal value' player--if they saw him potentially as a game-changing player--and feared they wouldn't get him at 27...or in the low 20s...then they did exactly what we wanted them to do, didn't they?

April 29, 2018 at 02:22 pm

dobber... The equal value thing comes directly from Brian's mouth. After the trade down, he said he did it because he felt he could get same value at 27 that he had at 14. He clearly didn't feel that way because he traded back up...my question is...why? Go watch the presser.

After you hear Brian's own words, you'll understand that we wasted pick 76 and our 6th for the same value player per Brian's own words. You made a previous comment on my bringing this up that you didn't need your GM to be Wink Martindale. I'm not sure how you missed the meat of what was said?

Samson's picture

April 28, 2018 at 07:30 pm

Actually, as usual, impossible to tell if this draft pans out. Come back in two or three years and ask again. --- Rd 1 & Rd 2 DBs need to be able to keep Tramon and House on the sidelines in year one. -- The Pack can't afford to constantly be grooming high picks for the secondary.

3 WRs bothers me. Why? --- Is this quantity over quality or is this just another way of bumping UDFA WRs off of the 53 man roster.

Both CM3 & Perry need to stay healthy and play well in 2018. --- There is little help on the bench (from this draft).

I give Gute another draft (2019) to see if he's got it. (All I know for sure is that the previous GM didn't have it)

Cubbygold's picture

April 28, 2018 at 07:46 pm

Yup. OLB is definitely now the position with least depth.

April 28, 2018 at 07:52 pm

When you refuse to spend high draft capital on the position this is what you have to do. If they'd taken Sutton, DJ Moore, Ridley, etc...they don't need to take 3 guys. This is the draft version of running back by committee...you usually do RBBC when you don't have one true RB. When you don't go get a real WR and rely on later round longshots this is how you improve your odds of hitting. I guess they were emboldened by finding Aaron Jones via this same method last year.

It's pretty clear they don't trust themselves with DBs. Jones and King with 1st two swings last year... Ha Ha in Round 1... Randall and Rollins in Rounds 1 and 2...Hayward in Round 2..,and now Alexander and Jackson in Rounds 1 and 2. That is 15 years worth of CB drafting in the last couple of years and the only good one is in LA with the Chargers. I fear the two high picks are a sign they don't trust King at all. He looks to be another bust, or at best a middling NFL CB.

Name me a team you can ever remember taking a 1st pick one year at a position and coming back the next and using a 1st and 2nd on that same position? It's just really out there.

Keep an eye on that extra 1st from the Saints. I think OBJ is a possibility if he comes back healthy...also, that is a great chip to use in trading for something we need, so that pick may never be exercised by us. I never thought it would be. He'll either trade it in next draft or use it this year for a player he wants. Should be fun.

Not a Brian fan after listening to him this many times. I don't like his draft and I like less his philosophies and things he says. Not a go getter we gotta win it all type at all. Just another guy like Ted shooting for good lacking that drive for being the best, imo.

Cubbygold's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:03 pm

I think the giants selection of barkley is a win-now type of move in mannings final years. I don't see them trading obj

April 28, 2018 at 09:43 pm

I don't know about that Cubby. Gettleman loves the run game and big guys up front on both sides of the ball. OBJ ain't his kind of guy. How do you satisfy the 2nd overall pick in the draft and a guy who wants the money OBJ does? Giants are going to be run focused with Eli in his twilight. This team has a great young TE in Engram and a very nice WR in Shep. Dealing OBJ will help Gettleman remake this team in his image. Gonna be hard to do with a diva on his offense.

Getting a 1st was a shocker and then trading back up led me to believe that 1st acquisition made little sense if you were just going to turn around and waste 76 and another pick to go back down, again. Unless, there was an ulterior motive for getting it in the first place. We also drafted the most highly touted punter...the Giants just so happen to have an issue there trading a conditional 7th to Denver for the guy King made expendable. The Punter move combined with the bizarre trail concerning the acquisition of the Saints 1st points to a deal with NY for OBJ. Brian wanted Watkins and Allen Robinson and didn't get them. You mean to tell me he's satisfied getting some 4th round prospects and beyond? I don't think so. I think he wants a true #1 WR, plus, it would help mitigate Aaron issues with the org for Jordy and freezing him out.

Yes, it's a theory but it's based on things that aren't made up. I'll be watching for the day OBJ is deemed fully healthy and is out proving it in OTA's. Brian may hold off until we see how these young guys look. If it looks like we got diddly from the draft, I'm telling you to watch closely... Brian is going to go get OBJ.

April 29, 2018 at 02:38 pm

Downvote this post if you think I'm the best poster on this site and I'm considered MUST READ CHEESEHEAD TV!

Chuck Farley's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:43 pm

John I'm convinced the gm reports to ball. He is the money guy and I would bet money, gutt was told pre draft, were not moving up period. If we get offers to move back take it.
Reason, couple years ago one well known pack writer and analyst said, Ted won't draft de`s because they command too much money. The 3 4 defense saves you bucks not needed DE`s.
Knowing that I see cheap ball again this year. Butt is just Ted with a different name meaning Russ ball is calling the shots.

April 28, 2018 at 09:54 pm

None of us know how it really "works" inside 1265 but that bizarre structure leaves a lot of speculation for things like Russ's real power.

The $ difference in a few spots isn't something I think Russ would say Brian couldn't do.

We started out with 14, 45, and 76, and 101. We ended up with 18, 45, 88 and had to wait for our comp picks at the end of Round 4. That's -32 spots. We gave up 12 spots in Round 3 and had to trade up to lose the 12. We lost 4 in Round 1 and it cost 76 and 6th to go -4.

Just in the first 4 rounds we lost 48 spots combined plus 2 other picks. We did net the 1st in 2019. This draft was full of talent until somewhere in Round 4. To lose 48 spots (and 2 extra picks later) in those rounds is substantial.

Those who LOVE this draft haven't looked at it very closely and followed what Brian did at all.

Oz40's picture

April 28, 2018 at 11:24 pm

John Kirk, Soooo, let me get this straight.....If we don't agree with you we are neanderthals who have not been enlightened with your intellect, analytical skills and certainly not your clairvoyant futuristic reading of the what ifs.....I see, now I get it. Your a pompous blowhard....

April 28, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Pertaining to this issue? Yes. What I'm stating is 100% irrefutable facts about what happened in this draft. There's no agreeing with me or not agreeing with me. It's either acknowledge the facts of the situation or not. They aren't me specific in any way. It's not my opinion. It's like me saying water is wet at 50 degrees. That is not my opinion...that is me stating a fact. Me saying Brian gave up our 76 and a 6th rounder to get back up to 18 is a FACT. Saying we WASTED picks is a FACT in light of what Brian said at his presser after the Alexander pick. There's no I think I'm better. I'm just stating the obvious that nobody wants to acknowledge for some reason.

Generally speaking? No. I don't think I'm superior to you in any way. I do think on this issue you're clouded and lack judgment. I'm not pompous. I'm a guy who is routinely slammed and downvoted here for presenting a non koolaid view of what is going on with the Packers.

Let's get into this... Tell me where I'm wrong. Don't mock me and tell me that I think I'm better than you and act all hurt and accuse me of being pompous. I'm just right in this case. Nothing pompous about it. It's just true. If you can show me that I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it but I won't have to because I wouldn't post what I did if I hadn't considered the possibility first. There is none.

Go listen to Brian's presser after Night 1. Listen to what he says about WHY he traded back to 27. You come and tell me that I'm wrong. I'm not.

NashvilleCheesehead's picture

April 29, 2018 at 06:40 am

Decaf, John, decaf

April 29, 2018 at 02:28 pm

Never had a drop of coffee in my life and I don't drink caffeine. I'm a water guy.

I'll fire up some 5 hour energy's and see where it goes...

Archie's picture

April 29, 2018 at 08:39 am

No way Goot said he could get the same quality of player at 27 as at 14.

I'm guessing what he said was he was confidant he could trade back into his previous range, albeit a few picks lower, and get the same quality player. If so, your argument is premised on a misinterpretation of what he said. Do you have a link?

No GM would say pick 27 is just as valuable as pick 14 unless they thought all the premium players were off the board and the next 14 or so picks represented a plateau. But with Davenport, Edmunds, James & Alexander still on the board at 14, we can safely deduce this was not the case.

It would seem he made his trade back up once he knew Alexander would be available.

April 29, 2018 at 10:57 am

Hysterical...A guy who didn't listen to the presser is telling a guy who listened to it a couple of times what was said in it. Great stuff, Archie. This is the typical kind of reaction here. All emotion based...not a shred of logic or thinking involved just reacting to something someone wishes not to be true. It's alternate reality here a lot of the time. Thank you, Archie.

April 29, 2018 at 05:29 pm

Saying we gave up #76 and a sixth is fact.

Saying they were wasted is pure opinion, John.

April 29, 2018 at 05:49 pm

Nope. Not in light of Brian's words. Yes, outside of what Brian said about why he traded down you are correct. You are not correct when considering what Brian said of the trade back to 27. Did you listen? If you didn't, you need to.

I'm tired of people responding to this who haven't taken the time to listen to where what I'm speaking to is coming from. Better yet there's one guy saying Brian no way said it but that guy didn't listen either.

porupack's picture

April 29, 2018 at 09:02 am

Samson,
I actually take a different view in light of packers needs at so many position groups; WR, CB, OLB, TE, OL at least. Can't fix all at once, and you have only so many high draft picks. So I like the strategy of finding 3 position groups you invest heavily to make biggest chance for upgrade. Gute agreed with me; heh, and decided CB, WR was going to be better. Plus an unexpected upgrade piece at LB. I applaud the draft for now, and we'll see.

My only complaint was losing a 3rd rounder, and had that gone for a higher rated draftee on OL, it would have been an A+ draft.

But if JAlexander turns out to be a shutdown corner, then we'll applaud Gute as genius, especially next year during the draft.

April 29, 2018 at 10:42 am

porupack...

If you listen to Brian's post draft presser he claims he didn't target or focus on any specific position group to invest in. He went Ted and claimed that was just the way the board worked. Actually said the 3 RB situation last year wasn't intentional either. I guess that's up to each of us to interpret as truth or smoke.

This draft is getting a lot of praise by draft graders. Even graders who aren't Packers fans.

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

April 28, 2018 at 07:44 pm

16-0 baby. Where is Farts After Wins when you need him?

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2018 at 07:58 pm

Overall, I really like what Gutekunst did in his first draft.

First he essentially traded down 4 spots, got at least one of the players he wanted in the draft and added a 1st round pick for next year.

A lot of people wanted the Packers to trade up to get Ward. Well they would have had to of traded up to pick 4. Which would have cost them their 2nd, 3rd and last pick of the 4th round to get up that high.
To me, taking Alexander and a 1st round pick next year is worth a lot more then getting rid of all of those players. Essentially they got Alexander, Jackson, Burks, Moore, and a first round pick instead of going for Ward. Smart move.

I really was surprised that they got Jackson at 45. I thought for sure he was going in the teens. He was a player that I really liked. I would have drafted him at 14 to be honest.

Here are my thoughts on the other players.

Burks, I like what I have read and seen about him. At the very least if he can be in a rotation with Ryan that would be a really good for the defense.

Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown are intriguing. I was surprised St. Brown lasted until the 6th round. I can't wait to see these guys this coming training camp. The thing I like about them the most is their height/speed. They are big and fast.

Cole Madison I hope is the next Sitton/Lang. An OT in college, moved to OG in the NFL. I would not be surprised if he was our starting RG at the start of the year.

JK Scott - Definitely the most surprising pick of the draft. I thought Vogel, did really well last year. I remember seeing Scott and he can change the field position. The way I am going to view this is that any time you can find a game changer, field changer type of player in the later rounds of the draft, you need to take them. Scott is one of those types of guys. He can change the field position easily.

Hunter Bradley - Well if you draft a punter you might as well draft a LS. They actually did have a need for one. After last year's mess of going through 3 different guys, its time to invest into it.

Loomey/Donnerson - Both I would look at as guys coming in to compete. Their best fit on the roster would be for Special teams. Donnerson, has the speed to be able to contribute on special teams.

Overall, I am happy with the draft. I can't wait to see these guys play!

Samson's picture

April 28, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Typical.
Has there ever been a GB Draft you haven't adored?
At least be neutral occasionally and play the wait & see card.
Your eternal optimism is old & boring.

April 29, 2018 at 12:10 am

:) I love it...you've flipped the script on what usually is said of me in reverse. I see they like it. :)

RCPackerFan's picture

April 29, 2018 at 10:09 am

Shocking, I say something that I like, and you respond with the typical 'homer' crap. Talk about old and boring.

Your eternal pessimism and hatred for the Packers and Packers fans is sad, pathetic and lame.

Here is just a thought. If you don't like positive Packers talk. How about not coming to a Packers fan website?

porupack's picture

April 29, 2018 at 09:09 am

Agree with all your points RCPF, that despite some unexpected choices in late rounds, it is tentatively a good draft, and all remains to be seen if/how these picks really pan out; then we can all judge in hindsight.

I didn't like losing a 3rd rounder to move back up in 1st round, and thought we could have gotten a quality CB near same as JAlexander at #27. Then we could have gotten a quality OL pick in 3rd round.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 29, 2018 at 10:29 am

The punter really shocked me to be honest. I really thought Vogel was our punter. And maybe he will be in the end. But that draft pick did surprise me.

I'm sure we could have gotten a good player at 27. But my guess is Alexander was in the 2nd tier of players that they didn't want to miss out on. Mike Mayock had Alexander at the top of his CB board. To get him at 18, plus getting a 1st round pick next year was a great deal.

Overall I like the draft.
I don't know who all will make the 53, and make an impact, but overall I thought they improved the speed on the team, and I love the size of the WR's.

April 29, 2018 at 10:31 am

No body liked losing the 3rd. But the players they were looking pettis Wr,Thomas Te, and Gallop WR went earlier. They wanted defense anyway. It will cost anybody to move up in rd. 1. Alexander jumped just before the draft. And they beat the Vikings here. Youth at Cb is the key. Rollins or House will be M. Hyde now!

Bure9620's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:16 pm

Pretty solid class, Burks and Valdes-Scantling are intriguing but a bit over drafted IMO. MVS could have been had in the 7th or UDFA and Burks could have been a day 3 guy. But overall, good job, I think we have several future starters here. Donnerson is really interesting, crazy measurables, good value.

zoellner25's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:14 pm

Great work Gutey. What’s not to love?

Chuck Farley's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:20 pm

Im grading gutts draft a c minus. Too much Russ ball looking to save money. We gave picks away with all the holes to fill?

April 28, 2018 at 08:24 pm

Boom
Boom
Boom
Still beating that drum with nothing behind it and no logic in salary cap info pushing it.

Oz40's picture

April 28, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Where is this save money bull sh-- coming from? You have been reading John Kirk.. THERE IS A ROOKIE SALARY CAP!!!!!

April 29, 2018 at 10:59 am

"John Kirk" has said nothing about saving money being a basis for what was done in the draft. Thanks, again, for your emotion based logic free response. You can do better.

holmesmd's picture

April 29, 2018 at 01:50 pm

Hilarious Dobber! Lol;) Absolutely hilarious.

bbarryirish's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:21 pm

Captain Kirk,
Positive thoughts, lead to positive actions, lead to positive feelings.
I believe the Packers organization thought though the actions they took in order to improve OUR team to the best of their ability. I also believe they feel great about providing our coaches the players they need to promote the type of competition from within that will make us successful each Sunday.
Look for the positive in life, it's more enjoyable.
Treasure Life
Go Pack Go.

April 28, 2018 at 09:57 pm

I do in life...not in a game I watch on TV. My thoughts and actions regarding the Packers lead to nothing of consequence either way.

I appreciate the Matt Foley life advice...I'm good in my personal life. Just have Brian do smarter things and I'll be as positive as you can handle.

If you enjoy being blissfully unaware to achieve happiness good on ya... I've never been much of a pretender.

Samson's picture

April 28, 2018 at 11:06 pm

It's funny how so many people who post here want everyone to be like them.. --- If you don't blissfully agree with their approach and attitude, then you're obviously wrong and need to be reminded.

I agree, too many on this board think this board mirrors real life. --- It never has & never will.

April 29, 2018 at 12:59 am

Thank you, Samson. Being a fan is not joining a cult. I can be me and think like me without anyone else signing off on it. Of course, when you do that you engender hatred from the other members who don't think you deserve that autonomy.

April 28, 2018 at 08:28 pm

I think this draft surprised a lot of people. The players reached for was shocking. Gute took the sure thing in 1 and 2. TT wouldn't have. TT would have went right to the offensive Line. TT would have avoided the ILB again. And maybe TT would have been right here. I believe we gave up to much for Burks. He could of had Thomas Te and Fountain WR. Was burks the right choice? Time will tell here. Gute made a strong comeback with the Wrs late. At least A-Rod has more to work with. Hopefully the late picks can make the roster. Gute did better than I expected.

4thand1's picture

April 28, 2018 at 08:51 pm

We've signed a bunch of UDFA's already, teams waste no time.

PAPackerbacker's picture

April 28, 2018 at 10:15 pm

New to the site but always been a Packer fan. Great draft!! Was a little disappointed at passing on Derwin James but Gute more than made up for it with later picks. Well done. Go Pack Go.

Dave

Bure9620's picture

April 28, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Welcome

April 28, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Ah, another future down voter for me. Welcome, Dave.

PAPackerbacker's picture

April 29, 2018 at 04:38 am

I'm used to being a little different. I live in Steeler country and am a huge Packer fan, not a Steeler fan at all. Go Pack Go.

PAPackerbacker's picture

April 29, 2018 at 04:33 am

Thank you. I have been a Packer fan since Super Bowl 1. They are, and always will be, my favorite team. Many fans here in PA have tried to convert me to be a Steeler fan but that ain't happening, ever!! Go Pack Go.

rtuck80's picture

April 28, 2018 at 10:16 pm

I'm guessing Pettine absolutely loved this draft. i did too. also, with an extra 1st, we may have a chance to trade up into top 10 range in a year expected to have a lot of pass rushing talent.

Colin_C's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:47 am

I'm a guy that look for patterns, and I definitely saw a few in our draft class. Most obviously, Gute's looking for athleticism in the players he drafts. I don't believe he would have taken someone like Jake Ryan or Richard Rodgers. Second, they took guys that they think have their best football in front of them. A lot of talk about players trending upwards in the pressers I watched. Not as focused on college success, and more interested in high ceiling guys. Time will tell how that works out, but it's very different than TT for sure.

I'd give this draft an A- grade. Round 1 was great, mostly because of the extra 1st rounder, but still a solid selection with the pick.

Absolutely love Jackson at 45. Can't teach ball skills, and I think he compliment's Alexander nicely. I wonder if he gets any looks at FS with Dix's contract ending soon?

Initially thought Burks was a massive overreach, but we'll see how it plays out. Didn't really like his regular season tape, but I was blown away by his Senior Bowl. He reminded me so much of Roquan Smith. Maybe Vandy just didn't deploy him correctly. To me, he's the most boom or bust guy we drafted.

Love the 3 WR picks, though I'd have considered Cain in there. Not sure why, but Moore has me the most excited. He just looks so smooth on the field with his breaks. All three WR picks are good in my book. Can never give AR12 too many weapons. Here's an idea: Run a set with Graham, Clark, St. Brown, MVS, and Moore. No way a team has enough tall DB's to match them ;-)

Of the rest of the picks, Looney intrigues me the most. Very slippery getting past guards. Reminds me of a very, very poor man's Aaron Donald.

Only two picks I didn't like were the LS and Donnerson. Much rather have seen Wadley, Holland, Meeks, or McFadden brought in. Hopefully Donnerson kills it on special teams at least.

For a first time GM, I thought Gute did an excellent job. Of course, time will tell, but my optimism is unbound for now.

April 29, 2018 at 12:57 am

I'm surprised you're as upbeat as you are, CC, especially watching them take Jackson over Miller. :)

Looney is intriguing. Great football name. We need some "looney" to our D.

You liked the JK Scott pick?

holmesmd's picture

April 29, 2018 at 01:58 pm

NOw here USA positive perspective and summary on this draft! Thanks MTM!

MITM's picture

April 29, 2018 at 01:20 am

Nail on the head my friend about Burks...the guy played snaps of SEC football at how many different positions?? Its hard to learn the nuances of 1 position thoroughly when you have to be serviceable to help the team at several positions. Also that being said, would you trust a guy who wasnt a special talent with all those responsibilites?? Senior Bowl tape after a full week practicing at ILB, excuse me, not even a full week as he was a late addition, is the tape everyone should be checking out. Burks is probably my favorite pick.

Jaire and Jackson + a 1st next year...I mean, isnt it about time we stopped getting absolutely TORCHED through the air, and giving huge chunks of game reps to UDFA's??? Doesnt anyone think that the landscape will finally change with HaHa (who needs to awake from his slumber, he will) Jones (dont forget about his 4.4 speed at 220+ pounds) King (6'3 shoulder repaired HAD to like what we saw in the sample size last season) Jaire and Jackson??

I agree about not adding an edge guy. But as a few people pointed out, it was a weak year. The gap between Chubb and the next guy was MASSIVE. There are veterans available still for depth. Lets give Biegel a chance to show something, we started Frank Zombo in the Super Bowl right?

Even if you dont realize it, dont worry Pettine has you guys covered. Pressure can come from ANYWHERE, Jaire blitzing from the slot with 4.3 speed for example. Daniels, Clark and Mo will push the pocket like we havent seen in a long time from our down linemen also.

Getting back to Burks, just wait and see. 6'3 in coverage in the middle of the field is a tremendous asset. Feet like a safety, hip flop as well. Reps at only ILB as well will help him hone his craft. Reckless abandon taking on blocks, needs to get off better but hey he WAS a safety after all. Please check him in the Senior Bowl.

St. Brown was a steal, absolute steal. Moore was 2nd in SEC in TD catches and yards.

I already posted JK is a pro bowl caliber punter. Mayock called him a field flipping weapon. A great punter is huge for our defense. Hes better than Vogel. Its an upgrade.

Long snapper? We went through 3 last year so I mean i cant complain honestly when after all, the point of the draft is to get better than the previous year isnt it? The Eagles used a draft pick on a guy whos never even played football.

Im not saying this draft is an A+ to me. But if you dont think we came away with 2 absolute STEALS (Jackson, St. Brown), seriously upgraded CB, upgraded at ILB, and potentially wildly improved our Special Teams, im not sure what draft you were watching.

PackfanNY's picture

April 29, 2018 at 11:48 am

Excellent post. I would add specifics on special team improvements include the following:
1-Punter drafted also is a holder and kick off guy. Two areas where Pack was so so at best.
2- I think one of these receivers Exxon (Valdez-Scantling) perhaps makes team as a special teams guy initially to utilize size and speed. This could replace the only thing Janis ever mastered.
Only time will tell on the draft. It is cliché but that is a fact.

April 29, 2018 at 04:49 am

I like all the players Gute picked except Madison and Bradley, and that is simply because I knew nothing about them. I liked the idea of drafting a LS though, just thought it would be Carew.

Roster construction was interesting. They got lots of help for the secondary, good help at ILB, and took a flyer on a guy for the DL, which needed the least help, so some help at each level. It was a weak year for OLB and Edge, so I am okay with not reaching there.

Gute got lots of help for boundary WR, and I really like Jmon and St. Brown, both of whom I expected to go higher. Valdes-Scantling is a flyer. All these WRs are a little unpolished in terms of route-running, a recent pattern except for Abby.

Once Dalton Schultz went in the 4th, I didn't see anyone that would help at TE in 2018. I guess I am more worried about RT than most, especially if it is true that GB asked Bulaga to take a pay cut, since that suggests to me that they don't think he will be ready by game one. I have to admit that I wasn't too keen on using a day one or two pick on an OT, so I can't complain. I also hoped for a FB in the 6th or so, perhaps Flowers or Ramesh later. Maybe I just have a bee in my bonnet about Rip - I thought he played pretty poorly last year. Of course, the FO might think we're okay at some of the positions they left unaddressed in the draft.

croatpackfan's picture

April 29, 2018 at 10:37 am

I like your analysis TGR. I was hopping packers will take Troy Fumagali, because he is good at blocking and he showed good hands, but I tend to trust expert's assessments...

April 29, 2018 at 11:02 am

TGR... Both Brian and MM said Bulaga is ahead of schedule for his rehab. Also, Brian emphatically stated he wanted Bulaga on his roster. Again, I don't know how trustworthy Brian is, but I wanted to post about what was said by part of our braintrust.

April 29, 2018 at 05:39 pm

Akin to a non-denial denial, John. You usually pay close attention to what is said and not said. Bulaga got injured in November; ACLs take a year to heal. So, on schedule would be early November.

Deduction: being ahead of schedule might still mean he goes on PUP. Making something sound better while not admitting that Bulaga won't be ready for game one, or two, or three, or four, or five, or six.

April 29, 2018 at 06:00 pm

I do. DeShaun Watson tore his ACL around the same time Brian did. He started running in February and they expect him at OTA's.

Why is it so hard to believe Bulaga might be ready in September? It's a 6-9 month recovery. From November that puts the timetable from May-August. Not sure where this he won't be ready until November is coming from?

If he's supposedly ahead in his rehab which Brian and MM stated he was, that puts him closer to 6 months than 9 so I see no reason he's going PUP. Could he? Sure. He could have a set back...but right now, there's no reason to think he's not back.

Hey, I'm the positive one in this debate. :)

April 29, 2018 at 05:51 am

Off topic: There were some trades for future picks.

Balt got #32 (QB Lamar Jackson) from Philly for # 52 and a future 2nd. Exactly even.

Chi got #51 (WR Anthony Miller) from NE for #105 and a future 2nd. NE got fleeced.

Det. got #114 from NE for a future 3rd. Even.

Philly got #233 from NE for #250 a future 7th. Even.

Once again, NE made a lot of trades, including some for future picks in the 2019 draft in the 2nd, 3rd and 7th rounds. Maybe BB also thinks the 2019 draft is loaded with talent.

Lphill's picture

April 29, 2018 at 07:05 am

St.Brown , Burks and josh Jackson are my favorite picks all have upside , after researching the punter I like that pick too,
Field position is everything. A lot of competition for the receivers nothing wrong with that , our pass rush is coming from the
Middle .

Crackerpacker's picture

April 29, 2018 at 08:29 am

Wearing my best pair of rose coloured spectacles Scott future all pro punter, And Donnerson future all pro gunner.

Cubbygold's picture

April 29, 2018 at 09:42 am

I wonder if 2019 scouting was a reason for not taking a pass rusher this year. Sounds like there are quite a few big names and with two firsts, gute may have a shot at a big name.

April 29, 2018 at 10:19 am

Can Rollins or House Switch to S?

NickPerry's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I was wondering that about Rollins. I actually think that would be a better position for him since he was never THAT fast and now after the injury he had that might be the ONLY position he could still play. My feelings are that's where he'll have a chance to make this team.

PackfanNY's picture

April 29, 2018 at 10:28 am

I thought Gute did a good job. Emphasis was on coverage and ball hunting DB's early. Size and athleticism later. Contrary to some I thought the picks for special teamers was warranted. Consider that the punter (Scott) is also a kick-off specialist and holder. That was two areas that were inconsistent at best. As always, no one really knows until the players actually play. Adding a 1st Round pick next year is GOLD. Packers are ONLY team currently holding two #1's for 2019. The same people criticizing that today will be the same folks telling him how to pick next year.

croatpackfan's picture

April 29, 2018 at 10:39 am

Brett Hundley - Hunter Bredley... ;-)

4thand1's picture

April 29, 2018 at 11:20 pm

Remember Scott Hunter?

April 29, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Yes...and Scott the Punter.

Lare's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:08 pm

I know most here don't like to read anything other than positive comments, but in my opinion this wasn't a very good draft for the Packers to improve this year. Maybe in the future, but not this year.

We still have a need for pass rushers.

We still need starters on the OL.

We still need another TE or two.

To me, it looks like Ted Thompson was making the major draft decisions. I have no clue who was drafting a punter and a long snapper instead of using those picks to move up and fill some of the holes on this roster.

But on the bright side, it looks like the Special Teams should be improved.

April 29, 2018 at 12:24 pm

You're right, Lare...but I do... I like balance whether that skews you positive or negative, it's all good.

The people who share the mindset that we had holes and we needed the draft to fill them should be screaming at the top of their lungs about drafting the punter and LS. I mean screaming. Should also be going off about using a 2nd high pick on a CB and using 3 on WR.

If you want to advocate that the draft should be used as a tool to fill holes on your roster, this draft was an unmitigated disaster. I have read some say that you can't fill all the holes as a justification for what happened but you definitely aren't filling holes if you aren't trying. I'm actually glad they didn't force picks on pass rushers. The Bears didn't either for the same reason we didn't...they weren't there. To get just Cole "Billy" Madison on the OL was a big surprise to me. The lack of volume on the OL was a surprise and the quality was a bigger one considering he was the only one. One pick on the DL? No pick at QB?

We pretty much ignored both lines (adding late rounder is not addressing) and used our last pick on a pass rusher. We used picks past the 4th on WR's which was a huge need. None on TE which is a need. Pretty imbalanced draft on the needs angle.

I do think our WR draftees are not a bunch of Brett Swain's and Kevin Dorsey's. The ceilings on these guys are cathedral in nature and they don't come from Nowhere state. ND, Mizzou and even S. Florida are big time football schools. I'm far more excited about Round 4 on than I am Rounds 1-3.

NoNonsense's picture

April 29, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Gutenkunst killed this draft, John Kirk and others might not like some of the picks but he won on every single trade he made on the draft value chart. Got a future 1st and a 5th for moving back 13 spots, gave up 3rd and a 6th to move back up 9 spots plus a 7th round pick and still got the guy they wanted. In the move up for 88 he jumped 13 spots for a 5th round pick. And got good value from each pick depending on where you look and which experts you want to believe.

Just about every pick we got bigger, faster or stronger. Wish we could have landed Hurst or Griffin in the 5th but if Cole Madison turns out to be as good as Sitton or Lang than it was worth passing on them.

Time will tell if the picks work out or not, if they missed on some blue chippers or if gaining the future first was smart for passing on James Davenport or Edmunds. Obviously if Alexander was their intended target at 14 anyway then yes it was worth it.

People keep saying Packers are wasting their 1st and 2nd day picks on secondary but look around. The Vikings now have 4 drafted 1st round picks in their secondary. Their DL is made up of 3rd and 4th rounders and some higher priced FAs. A 1st and 2nd round LB as well. Now look at their offense. Not too many high picks spent over there and when they do they dont seem to work out well.

April 29, 2018 at 12:57 pm

"Obviously if Alexander was their intended target at 14 anyway then yes it was worth it."

We'll never know if he was their intended target or not, but the party line will always be that he was.

The notion that the draft must be the end-game in roster prep for the upcoming season--that the draft is where you fill those final holes leading up to OTAs and camp--is ridiculous. Good teams are going to keep churning, and we're into a time now (until after June 1) when more vets are going to come available.

If the Packers make a couple moves to shore up positions of weakness leading into training camp, then I don't mind this draft (though I'm not terribly excited by it). If they don't, then they're relying on luck and health to make them anything close to contenders in 2018 and really are playing the roster more toward 2020.

April 29, 2018 at 01:22 pm

Great balanced thoughts, dobs.

One thing is certain... Jaire Alexander is not a player Brian thought he just had to have when he made the trade down. Why he decided a few picks after the trade to go back up and Jaire was a guy he just had to have is a puzzler. Here's who went off the board after we traded and before we picked:

Marcus Davenport
Kolton Miller
Tremaine Edmunds
Derwin James

Who in the world went off the board that inspired the trade back up? Not a single CB went off the board so there was no reason to panic. It appears he just panicked and regretted going back to 27 and felt it was too far. However, that doesn't square with his reasoning for trading down to 27 to begin with. I think understanding why he traded back up is madly intriguing. It doesn't make any sense at all based on what he said about why he did it. If we believe he was going CB no matter what, I don't understand the move back up. He really jacked up the draft by making that move back up.

April 29, 2018 at 01:42 pm

The "through Packers eyes" article, where they talk about boondoggling other teams with predraft visits, might have shown it working against the Packers here. It might have been who held picks 18 and 19 (Seattle who wanted to move down badly, and Dallas who is always a wild card) provided both opportunity and angst over that pick and someone else dealing up. We may never truly know.

As for going back too far, I think there's real merit in that. New Orleans was dangling some significant bait for that deal...maybe BG got more than a little dazzled by it.

Oppy's picture

April 29, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Or, maybe there was no dazzling.

It was widely speculated in the media surrounding the draft that Seattle was looking to get out of #18- they were just going to need to find a trade partner.

Perhaps when the Saints came knocking and offering the 1st rounder, the decision was made to snatch it up with the idea that they were going to talk to Seattle and see what they required to get in at 18.

Keep in mind, I'm sure there's still some ties between Seattle's front office and GB, what with TT and Dorsey having moved through the doors over there.

This is pure speculation, of course... but it is entirely plausible and offers a sensible solution to how the Packers may have planned all along to move back up from 27 to grab their guy without it being a panic play. When you look at the net balance of what was traded to and from the Packers during the first round, it's still a heavy slant to value taken by the Packers.

Lare's picture

April 29, 2018 at 01:09 pm

I'm probably in the minority in that I really don't care about "trade values" and picks that can be used for "leverage" next year. To me, a team only has one goal and that is winning a Super Bowl this year. Otherwise, you're rebuilding with a goal of winning a Super Bowl in the future.

If you can say that the Packers are a better team today than they were a week ago with a better chance of winning the Super Bowl this year, then you'll say this was a great draft.

If not, then I'd have to ask what Gutekunst/Thompson?Murphy/Ball were trying to accomplish?

April 29, 2018 at 01:11 pm

The Packers are wasting their picks on the secondary. If you're going to cite the Vikings you should note their success as opposed to ours. When the Vikings pick defense they have turned that into the #1 defense in the NFL. When we've done it, we're floating near the dregs of the NFL causing our base to scream how we need to draft defense, defense, defense. Do you think they scream that in Minnesota? It's apples and oranges so I'm not sure why you brought up the Vikings in contrast to the Packers?

As for their O... Dalvin Cook is a superstar and AD is a Hall of Famer. Harvin was an all world talent for a time. Sidney Rice tore up the league with Brett. Rudolph is a pretty solid TE but they've had a lot of busts like Patterson, Treadwell, Ponder, Teddy B. (incomplete due to injury but bust of a pick because he's gone), Kalil, and Gerhart wasn't much, either.

Let's just hope Pettine is the Zimmer equalizer for our D. The Dom vs. Zimmer thing was laughable.