Matthews Finshes Second In DPOY Voting

Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews finished second to Steelers safety Troy Polamalu in the Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year voting.

DALLAS – After reports that Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews had won the Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year Award, it turns out he didn't.

Bob Glauber of New York Newsday had originally written on Twitter that Matthews won the honor.

Minutes later, official reports surfaced that the player who won the award will be Matthews' opponent on Super Bowl Sunday: Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

According to the Packers' official Twitter account:

LB Clay Matthews finishes second for AP Defensive Player of the Year to Pittsburgh S Troy Polamalu. 17 votes to 15.

After being announced that Matthews would be interviewed live on the NFL Network's NFL Total Access at 6:00 p.m., the same time the Network said they would announce the award, it came as a surprise to many that Matthews did not win the Award.

Billy D's picture

January 31, 2011 at 08:45 pm

Bullshit. Pure Bullshit.

He'll come out of the game fired up Sunday

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 31, 2011 at 08:51 pm

I disagree. Clay very easily could have won the award, but Troy getting it is by no stretch of the imagination "bullshit". That dude is a beast and has been for years. This is the first time he's won the award, I'm not too upset about it. If Clay continues to play at his current level or higher, it's just a matter of time. Plus maybe he'll want to make a point Sunday?! That's all I really care about.

Norman's picture

January 31, 2011 at 09:27 pm

Agreed. Polamalu is just as deserving as CM3 and was the only guy who I thought would seriously challenge for the award. And he gave the most classy acceptance speech I think I've ever heard. If you came across this guy on the street you'd think he was a librarian or something, so soft-spoken and gentle, but on the field he's a beast. But he is fighting an injury (achilles tendon I think) that hopefully slows him by half a step, and all's fair in the Super Bowl so I hope Rodgers can exploit this (or if not, just avoid him altogether).

I really wish Polamalu was a Packer, he'd fit in so perfectly!

Two USC guys 1-2 in the voting, just like last year in the Rookie of the Year award.

Chad Toporski's picture

January 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Well said, Fitzy. (Can I call you Fitzy?)

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm

You sure the hell can Chad.

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 31, 2011 at 08:48 pm

Oh well. Go get 4 sacks Sunday and get the MVP. This may be good, you don't want these guys getting too many accolades too early... keep em hungry. Gotta tell ya though, watching Troy accept the award, it's impossible not to appreciate the guy both as a player and a man.

WHITEHOUSE ON THREE

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 31, 2011 at 08:54 pm

Rattling off 6 sacks in the first 2 games and then following those up with 7.5 over the next 14 weeks surely didn't help his case. That lingering injury hurt him.

WoodyG's picture

January 31, 2011 at 08:59 pm

The only way Troy P. could be better is if he were a Packer ..... He's always been a great player & a classy professional ....

However, DPOY won't add any points to Pittsburgh's total come Sunday ..... Their TD & 2 FGs won't cut it come SB Sunday ....

JerseyPackFan's picture

January 31, 2011 at 09:43 pm

I guess Clay has to earn his stripes in this league. Has there been ever player that has gotten this award that was in his second year in the league? I`m sure it will be all his next season. There still is the bigger prize still out there and that is that ring.

BLACK HAWK's picture

January 31, 2011 at 09:44 pm

Keep Clay hungry...real hungry, that he'll feast on Sunday and win the SB MVP, although I satisfy for any Packer winning the SB MVP, because that'll will be the start of a dynasty!

Chad Toporski's picture

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Please, Packers fans, don't turn into the Jets from last year. It's not classy.

Jim's picture

January 31, 2011 at 11:52 pm

hated that shit

Ruppert's picture

January 31, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I'd rather see him lose the DPOY and win the Super Bowl than vice versa. Victories in these events are not mutually exclusive, of course.

I hope Clay is really, really pissed off about losing the DPOY and takes it out on Flozell Adams the way Charles Jefferson (Forrest Whitaker) gets revenge on the Lincoln High football team for his Camaro in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

FITZCORE1252's picture

February 01, 2011 at 04:21 am

Great flick. I had a teacher who called me Spicoli my Sophmore year... for obvious reasons.

BLACK HAWK's picture

February 01, 2011 at 09:59 am

"You see the new Playboy?....Be Derek's tits.....man I like sex"

"You can't fix this car Spicoli"

"Dude, my ole man is a television repair man...he can fix it"

"My brother's gonna shit....by brother's gonna kill..."

"We'll is he gonna shit, or his he gonna kill us"

"He's gonna fu*king shit, then's he's gonna kill us!"

Great flick...going to have to revisit than one soon!

Shaun's picture

January 31, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I have always been a fan of Polamalu, but without question it should have been Matthews in my opinion, and in the opinions of countless players. The season Matthews had was far better than the one Troy had. He got a pity award in my opinion, they gave it to him because he had never won one and his career is soon to be over. His best chances to win were behind him. He should have won one years before, for certain, but not this year. Again this is just my opinion with a couple of facts thrown in.

Bearmeat's picture

February 01, 2011 at 12:03 am

Totally disagree because when you consider the two games CM3 missed, GB goes 0-2. Their D is just not the same without him - just like Troy. Except Clay's stats are better. AP writers made the wrong choice.

FITZCORE1252's picture

February 01, 2011 at 04:19 am

Dude, look at Pitt's PPG given up with and without Troy, as well as T.O. ratio. It's a solid case. Wish Clay would have got it, but if you're talking about #'s, Troy wins. Clay had 7.5 sacks in the final 14 games of the season. Troy had 7 picks and several sacks in the 14 games he played. Don't like it, but I can see it.

BrianD's picture

February 01, 2011 at 03:08 am

This award shows that Matthews had a great regular season. Wonderful, yet it's all in the past. He's had a large impact on the Packers' three wins this postseason and is playing his best when it counts. He's got one more game to prove he is the best defensive player on the best defense in the league on the biggest stage in the NFL. Right now, Matthews and the Packers young secondary are the Defensive Players of the Playoffs, more valuable to their team than Polamalu is to the Steelers(mostly because he's injured at the moment, ha!).

bill from jersey`'s picture

February 01, 2011 at 08:31 am

classy guy won[troy]classy guy[clay]finished 2nd.....look for classy 2 to be very unclassy come sunday...just feeds his fire folks....may have been just what we needed

Tarynfor 12's picture

February 01, 2011 at 09:48 am

I'm hoping Clay doesn't take losing to Troy personal.I want him to play "team" football and not "I" should have won it football.
DPOY opportunity can come more often than where he will be Sunday.

BLACK HAWK's picture

February 01, 2011 at 10:05 am

I don't think Clay is an "I" kind of guy and sure the hell hope never becomes one...unlike...well you know...

Tyler21's picture

February 01, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Dpoy would have been nice but we can't forget that we won it last year, so we had to give em somethin! I mean its only fair since we are gettin a brand new shiny ring!!!!!!! Let's go packkkkk!!!

Rory Miller's picture

February 01, 2011 at 03:34 pm

Who cares if Troy Polamalu won the defensive player of the year award...? Tell you what, let's make a deal... he wins the award, and the Packers win the Super Bowl. Deal? Go Pack Go!!!

bomdad's picture

February 01, 2011 at 05:10 pm

If the trend continues, he will finish second in MVP voting next season!